(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Ometeotl

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Ometeotl »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago If Rabi-Ribi places and Henry Hatsworth does not I will delete everyone's accounts.

Try me, cowards.
If that happens, we deserve to lose our accounts, frankly.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Good thing there are no negative votes this time, Rabi-ribi can maybe win now

Also if you seriously disregard a perfectly fine game because a dozen cutscenes that you can skip on the press of a button feature anime girls with skimpy clothing, that's... pretty sad

I mean, just play the demo and you'll understand why everyone who actually played it recommends it

Like, would you honestly prefer Superstar Saga? Why would a RPG suddenly be fine as a LP just because there are timed hits? The problem in RPG LPs isn't the gameplay (most of the time), it's the absurdly long cutscenes/NPC-talking time and the sheer number of them, which this game isn't exempt of in the slightest.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoAlso if you seriously disregard a perfectly fine game because a dozen cutscenes that you can skip on the press of a button feature anime girls with skimpy clothing, that's... pretty sad
You can make any game good by just ignoring all the bad parts, but that doesn't make them actually go away

If you have to resort to telling people to just ignore and skip parts of the game to make it good, maybe it isn't actually good?

EDIT: You know what, I was thinking about this post and I think I was being somewhat disingenuous or harsh. I mean, I am serious about my point that you shouldn't have to tell people to ignore parts of a game, because that's stupid, but I didn't mean to suggest that Rabi-Ribi as a whole was conclusively bad because of its bad parts. What I meant was that it's perfectly reasonable to be turned off by individual parts of a game, irrespective of whether the other parts might be worth it or not.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago
Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoAlso if you seriously disregard a perfectly fine game because a dozen cutscenes that you can skip on the press of a button feature anime girls with skimpy clothing, that's... pretty sad
You can make any game good by just ignoring all the bad parts, but that doesn't make them actually go away

If you have to resort to telling people to just ignore and skip parts of the game to make it good, maybe it isn't actually good?
Nice copypasta, but it sounds pretty extreme. Do you only play games that are perfectly, 100% tailor-made for your specific taste or something? No matter how you look at it, it's a extremely minor part of the game, and I mentioned how the option is there for people who are allergic to the exposed skin of drawn characters. It's like a left-handed person refusing to play a game because the default controls are for the right-handed and you need to go into a submenu to change them.

Also I never said it was a bad part of the game (I'd argue the art is actually pretty good as far as indie games go)
EDIT: You know what, I was thinking about this post and I think I was being somewhat disingenuous or harsh. I mean, I am serious about my point that you shouldn't have to tell people to ignore parts of a game, because that's stupid, but I didn't mean to suggest that Rabi-Ribi as a whole was conclusively bad because of its bad parts. What I meant was that it's perfectly reasonable to be turned off by individual parts of a game, irrespective of whether the other parts might be worth it or not.
I get it, don't worry. The thing is that the question here isn't even convincing people to PLAY the game, just to not mass negative vote for it being played by someone on the internet because of one detail (which happened last time, and looking at this thread, would've probably happened again had negative votes been allowed)

Leet

Post by Leet »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoI'd argue the art is actually pretty good
oh
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago
Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoI'd argue the art is actually pretty good
oh
(Way to leave out the last part of that sentence)
You can't tell me with a straight face that you think Undertale (pretty much the average level for indie games these days) has better art than rabi-ribi. The latter isn't too great either (sameface and all) but you can't deny that both the cg and the spritework have a good level of detail and attention put into it.

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I imagine a lot of people would unironically argue that Undertale has better art than RR. The character portraits in UT certainly have a lot more personality to them than the portraits in RR, which as you say are pretty samey.

Having thought about it I don't really care about RR though. I am discomfited by the certainty that some dudes've cracked one off to it, but it does look like the game itself is actually fun, so... swings and roundabouts?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago
Leet wrote: 6 years ago I don't think it ever actually got accepted to the site, for this reason. I don't really understand why they didn't test their own hack, apparently it had a lot of completely obvious problems.
Bummer.
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago tits aint the problem here

cicini, miru, and ribbon are
Let's look at this more objectively: it's fine on Steam. It's fine to Stream on Twitch, it's fine on several other Youtube channels. Therefore, it's fine for raocow to play.

Anyway, you won't have to look at the portraits for 99% of the time.
Alternatively, it would be great if someone modded the game and replaced them with shitty scribbles. :lol:
Someone in the patreon discord mentioned that Naka Teleeli censored cutscenes when they LPd it. *shrug*
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet

Post by Leet »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoYou can't tell me with a straight face that you think Undertale (pretty much the average level for indie games these days) has better art than rabi-ribi. The latter isn't too great either (sameface and all) but you can't deny that both the cg and the spritework have a good level of detail and attention put into it.
I don't even like undertale (on a personal level), why are you asking me this

that's how i want to leave this post and not say anything else. but detail and attention don't actually mean shit if the idea you're putting all that detail and attention into isn't interesting. would undertale have been better if everything in it looked like a '10s anime? well, no, because undertale's pastiche of earthbound informs its place in culture and history. the simplistic black and white battle graphics make the orange-blue color mechanics very easy for the player to follow. the low-bit art plays into the contrast between most of the game and a certain final boss. etc. etc. or whatever

meaning and usage > general quality. i'm much more impressed by a game that does something with its limitations than i am by a game that does nothing with no limitations. (this is not even about rabi-ribi anymore, i have gone off-topic, so i will stop here)

now, COROLLARY: I actually think rabi-ribi's spritework looks great! i have no problems with it, it's appealing. it is literally only the Meet 'n' Fuck identical moeblob portraits/CG that i think anybody here thinks is stupid. it makes me feel like i'm being pandered to, and i hate games that are submissive to me with their story framing.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Sorry to go off the current topic, but SMBF footage from PAX East just came out. Not sure if you had plans on LPing it raocow.

Last edited by SAJewers 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Leet

Post by Leet »

FTR, SMB Forever has no involvement from Edmund McMillen. (Make of that what you will, everyone...)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago FTR, SMB Forever has no involvement from Edmund McMillen. (Make of that what you will, everyone...)
it's gonna be way better than the original meat boy because mcmillen is a hack who makes crappy games with bad humor. calling it now
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet

Post by Leet »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago
Leet wrote: 6 years ago FTR, SMB Forever has no involvement from Edmund McMillen. (Make of that what you will, everyone...)
it's gonna be way better than the original meat boy because mcmillen is a hack who makes crappy games with bad humor. calling it now
don't @ me

just kidding but i don't care what you say time fcuk is a gem

edit i decided i wanted to consider this seriously instead of pretending to be detached to look cool

a lot of edmund mcmillen's games don't really have much humor in them. tri-achnid, aether, coil, time fcuk and the end is nigh all come to mind, they're all moody and dark. the binding of isaac and super meat boy are the most popular, but that doesn't actually reflect on anything internal

i'm finding it likely that a sequel that doesn't have him involved is just going to have more crude humor - or retreaded humor - because it's going to be trying to emulate what it thinks was "cool" about super meat boy (which is not at all 'the original meat boy' btw) and the fact that it's coming from a place of emulation/posturing instead of just edmund being dumb makes it lose any rawness.
Last edited by Leet 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
churine

Post by churine »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago As someone noted in the patreon discord, Naka Teleeli had to censor the cutscenes when they LPd it.

Is it that bad?

a particular scene involves a group of otaku creeps grabbing the fairy and taking sexual pictures or the bunny
the dialogue is all "I don't know what you're doing but it's embarrasing" "don't grab me I feel disgusting", it's really uncomfortable

Naka's video
the cut part
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't know how cute, or how problematic, the art is in Rabi-Ribi, but I think a comparable example is Senran Kagura series. It starts off with the "wow anime ninjas" appearance which may be liked or disliked and then becomes "oh the action is pretty engaging".
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

Otakus talking lewd pics of a fairy girl? Oh man, I'd love to see raocow play this, haha.
I honestly dont see the big deal about it. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the messed up comics and pictures I've seen over the years, but I dont see anything super bad about this. I think it would be funny to just see and raocows reaction, heh.
Leet

Post by Leet »

LatexHydra wrote: 6 years ago Otakus talking lewd pics of a fairy girl? Oh man, I'd love to see raocow play this, haha.
I honestly dont see the big deal about it. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the messed up comics and pictures I've seen over the years, but I dont see anything super bad about this. I think it would be funny to just see and raocows reaction, heh.
i on the other hand do not find "forcing raocow through patreon obligation to commentate over a sexual assault scene" to sound particularly fun. guess i'm just ultra-prudish!!!!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

hey raocow why are you skipping the cutscenes heavy breathing
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh hey, the game actually does have the "Nudity", "Sexual Content", and "Mature" tag. I was originally planning to be all "as the resident bunny must die avatar person i'm going to become a patron and vote for this game just to stick it to everyone that doesn't want it ohohohoho" but if the game legit has that kind of content, let alone whatever this "sexual assault" scene is, maybe it's not the best idea for YouTube. :v
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Oh hey, the game actually does have the "Nudity", "Sexual Content", and "Mature" tag. I was originally planning to be all "as the resident bunny must die avatar person i'm going to become a patron and vote for this game just to stick it to everyone that doesn't want it ohohohoho" but if the game legit has that kind of content, let alone whatever this "sexual assault" scene is, maybe it's not the best idea for YouTube. :v
it was described on the last page, so my post showing up at the top of the page probably makes it sound even worse. but yeah.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

LatexHydra wrote: 6 years ago Otakus talking lewd pics of a fairy girl? Oh man, I'd love to see raocow play this, haha.
It's disgusting garbage my man and you really should stop looking at so much messed up shit if you cannot even see that, like, theoretically.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Oh hey, the game actually does have the "Nudity", "Sexual Content", and "Mature" tag. I was originally planning to be all "as the resident bunny must die avatar person i'm going to become a patron and vote for this game just to stick it to everyone that doesn't want it ohohohoho" but if the game legit has that kind of content, let alone whatever this "sexual assault" scene is, maybe it's not the best idea for YouTube. :v
I just flipped through the "CG gallery" and there's nothing of the sort. As for "that scene", it's a bunch of otaku taking pictures of the rabbit, thinking she's a cosplayer. The picture itself isn't any worse than the others.

Maybe there's an off-site patch take makes the game even steamier?

Ugh, I'm hating defending this now. Just, skip the cutsnenes to avoid this altogether, please.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If this game won, would it be the most controversial game raocow has ever LPd?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago If this game won, would it be the most controversial game raocow has ever LPd?
That, or the game where Luigi did the nasty with Yuyuko, and people took it way too seriously.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Okay, actually watching the linked video, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I can still understand people's objections, I suppose. It looks like ESRB gave the game a T for "Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Themes, Partial Nudity", which does also suggest "Nudity" and "Mature" may be overstating things a little?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image