(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Godel

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Godel »

I just finished the Celeste series and it was a lot of fun to watch. I have been revisiting Celeste in the form of custom maps, which can be thought of similar to rom hacks for Celeste. Maybe this has already been plugged but I'd like to drop it because I've been playing some lately and they're pretty fantastic. It's a great way to re-experience Celeste without replaying it directly.

Have been playing the 2020 Spring Collab pack, which is currently the most downloaded Celeste map pack. It's a collab pack, like ASMT was, with over 80 levels by many different creators with different flavors/gimmicks, sorted by difficulty and required tech to complete. The levels are on the shorter side (<10 screens in a level typically). Beginner difficulty starts you off with A through easy-B side difficulty maps and easy techniques (no wall bounces or wave dashes). Gradually ramps up from there. Hard to post examples without spoiling the many surprises it has so I'll leave it at the reader's interest to research it.

The difficulty curve is gradual but gets pretty steep around advanced/expert difficulties lobbies. I would maybe suggest planning a stopping point around at or shortly after intermediate maps. There are a lot of great advanced maps but they get so difficult, I'm not sure if they'd make good content to record for youtube unless you have many hundreds of hours of experience such as from speed running.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah this isn't the first time I'm hearing about the celeste custom level community
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

I played spring collab and stopped after the advanced maps, it was pretty good for the most part.
:trans_pride:
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Hey raocow, for your day off from videos, if you want to keep the streak going, just post a video of a drawing of Demo and you reading a random excerpt of that Proust book I gave you in French, with ZERO context for it (and everything, including the description, also in French)...if only to mess with people :slow:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Just learned about Joy Mech Fight from a game design video essay about it so now I'm obligated to bring it up here. I get the feeling raocow's already aware of it somehow, but for anyone who isn't, the game is basically a Famicom Street-Fighter-meets-Rayman-meets-Mega-Man.

Also it apparently has a pico8 spiritual successor called Uchu Mega Fight.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i am once again asking for luigi's mansion (gcn)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

might as well rip the bandaid

The Resident Onion Knight of SMW, Heraga "Nin" Ningamer and A Distressing Amount of People have made a small VIPcore collab called Rakugaki Mario (literally Scribble Mario, as in a drawing you just make for the hahas). Heraga has compared it to my DMs like an hour ago like "what if yump 2 was like yump 1 but with asm". The catch is, the endgame gets to Hyper 6 levels, the final level reaching Luigi's Adventure 2003 Bowser's Castle (not OSE) levels of absurdity. There have been several nerfs, but the final level still took about 20 hours for testers. Due to that I feel like it won't be a fun savestateless LP in the final world.

Heraga does feel raocow would appreciate it, being a 2008 style hack that tries to be accurate to the "source material", he feels that it wouldn't make for a good LP by the end game (and so do I really, still need to continue past W1 though).

I've wanted to bask in this game's release for a while now and I'm glad it's out, I'll try to work on my playthrough on and off.

(spoilers!)

Yes it has a final boss, TiKi stop asking.
It's not a good boss though, and that's kind of the joke but it still felt worse than most of carol's, though it is riffing on what are some of carol's worst (Seven Memes, Neo VIPdeath). It's good craftsmanship on meatloaf's end because, when I checked the code to see if I could port it to SpriteTool (I could not) the code was extremely good and generally, it's pretty accurate to EXTRA's work which are equally as abysmal imo and also from the 2007-2009 era. Mario LD Mortamor and Mario LD Estark were so terrible

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago Just learned about Joy Mech Fight from a game design video essay about it so now I'm obligated to bring it up here.
how did i know about joy mech fight before you. it's literally one of my shitposting punchlines for the past few years, i love the game so much, rare instance of a super fucking good fighting game on 8bit hardware that isn't the takara fg ports (it's so fucked up that toshinden psx is gahbage but toshinden gb i heard is actually pretty fun and epic)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

TBH I'd only ever want to see raocow play this hack if he played the original unfixed (ZNSES) version, and uploaded it at 240p with 10:59 long recording times and did the commentary entirely in monkeycheese, but that's wistful thinking lol.

I'm not sure if "yump1 but what if there was asm" is the best descriptor either-- I think maybe more like "Bizarro World VIP 2/3" may be a better approximation, as it's slightly longer than VIP2 in level count but shorter in exit count as well as being stylistically fairly close to VIP2 in how the game is structured. Funnily, I did sort of make the hack with raocow in the back of my mind if only because I wanted to do this project to sort of recreate the feeling watching a lot of his early SMW JP hack lps gave me when I was younger, which I think I accomplished somewhat at least (or, at least more accurately than the last time I tried doing such a thing...).

I won't personally shill my own work, because I don't think that's the best practice, nor do you need to go with the recommendation above (as much as it would be the throwback). Lion is not wrong about the difficulty, but outside of the final level it's definitely within raocow's skillzone (for reference, on average going in blind, a "good" SMW player was able to beat most of the final world levels in an average of 30 or so minutes), so maybe enacting the YUMP2 clause if push comes to shove would need to happen. I should also mention that the difficulty curve should also ease you into the harder levels fairly decently, it's much closer to JUMP's difficulty curve than perhaps Hyper 6's or SUPER's. Worlds 1 and 2 are fairly good at easing players into the more wacky territory of the later worlds.

Those are my two cents on the matter, I was curious when it would eventually make its rounds here, so I figured I'd just give my own take too at the same time.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Heraga wrote: 1 year ago Those are my two cents on the matter, I was curious when it would eventually make its rounds here, so I figured I'd just give my own take too at the same time.
Sorry for posting it so soon, I just felt like I should try to explain it as best as I can, since you've relayed to me key aspects of its development due to my dumb curiosity, someone might see it and go "yo raocow you should play this" and not warn him about the insane difficulty. I've made it to W1 Castle btw, I still have to get the second exit in Obsidian, maneuvering the key swimming is hard

when you're between two moving layer 2 lava currents with Rip Van Fish everywhere

Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

honestly from what I've been hearing I might give it the ol' priority play. well like quasi priority. next time I have a mystery box available to me, I think I'm just gonna pick since it does seem, like, in total lining up of what my channel has been about.

it's gonna take a bit to get there but we'll be getting there
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i don't think yump 1 is an indicator of good quality, personally :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago how did i know about joy mech fight before you. it's literally one of my shitposting punchlines for the past few years, i love the game so much, rare instance of a super fucking good fighting game on 8bit hardware that isn't the takara fg ports (it's so fucked up that toshinden psx is gahbage but toshinden gb i heard is actually pretty fun and epic)
Not sure if joking, but I mean... when it comes to more obscure media and especially Japanese-only games, I tend to be closer to the tip of the metaphorical iceberg meme with a few weird exceptions here and there. There's a chance I have actually seen and heard some stuff about/from JMF before -- like, the fact that there's a Sukapon assist trophy in Smash vaguely rings what might be a bell, for example -- but if so it faded into the back of my subconscious to the point where it didn't immediately resurface when I watched the Designing For video.

idk. the main thing is I'm consciously aware of it now and I think it'd be neat to see raocow play it.

also maybe the koumajou densetsus because when I was looking up touhou remixes for the gouyoku ibun LP I was reminded of kdii's amazing final boss theme. dunno how good they are gameplay-wise though, I just watched a handful of youtube videos of 'em forever ago

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if joking, but I mean... when it comes to more obscure media and especially Japanese-only games, I tend to be closer to the tip of the metaphorical iceberg meme with a few weird exceptions here and there. There's a chance I have actually seen and heard some stuff about/from JMF before -- like, the fact that there's a Sukapon assist trophy in Smash vaguely rings what might be a bell, for example -- but if so it faded into the back of my subconscious to the point where it didn't immediately resurface when I watched the Designing For video.

idk. the main thing is I'm consciously aware of it now and I think it'd be neat to see raocow play it.
I just assume everyone here to be Nintendo superfans and to consume nothing but Nintendo and maybe a few indie games like SMWC, but yeah it makes sense that people here wouldn't know about The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls or Joy Mech Fight or Marvelous. Captain Rainbow is a definite maybe though, it was everywhere in the late 00s.
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

...so, uh... I actually did learn about captain rainbow through tv tropes or something forever ago, and those other names felt vaguely familiar so I checked: I watched this video back in august last year according to my youtube history, and marvelous was one of several games I tried to get working on my snes classic back in 2018 before I accidentally replaced everything on it with a single lttp randomizer rom for my brother.

I'd say maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit, except I had to google takara and toshinden from your initial response so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Again, I was ranting about raocow and RPGs on Discordhaus and. If raocow wants a good intro to RPGs, I'd suggest Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and a Final Fantasy VI replay as they're more traditional, Chrono Trigger is good too but you're gonna play it so. Possibly also Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana for Action RPGs? Maybe Shining Force 1 or Arc the Lad as an intro to Strategy RPGs? There's a bit of fighting necessary every now and then to get your weapons and magic up to snuff in SoM, though. I had to brute force the final boss because I didn't level up the necessary buff magic enough.

FFA also has a stat building system like M&L but I'd suggest varying up depending on what you need at the time, compared to just focusing exclusively on one stat for the sake of it. Stat building systems in games tend to vary, in M&L you were able to get forward on strength alone but some games like Wizardry and SMT require focusing on specialized builds. My SMT file has Protag (Sho/Kazuya) be a more all rounder focusing on physical attacks (VIT and STR take precedent, SPD trailing behind), Heroine (Aoi/Yuka) and Law Hero (Toshiki/Yuji) be spellcasters (VIT, INT and MAG above all else, a smidge of STR and SPD too) and Chaos Hero (Tetsuo/Takeshi) be a heavy hitter (VIT and STR).

I've been playing Lunar 1 PSX on YK's Discord server and I've been trying to stay along with the level curve (of the JP version that is, Unworked Design patch) by going out of my way to fight most on field enemies. Two hours a stream, I've done all of Caldor Isle (White Dragon's Cave + Weird Woods + Old Hag's Woods + boss at the Hispaniola) in Stream 1 and Hispaniola + Meribia Sewers + Cave of Trial + Vane and the surrounding cutscenes in Stream 2.

I'm a beginner at recording games for the internet though, you can just commentate to fill airtime during battles. As for how to handle a lot of them happening, I don't know if you're okay with using the fast forward button, I use it a lot personally on Lunar 1 as a lot of the battles are pretty easy, you just have to be careful with upkeep of HP, the bosses are the Real McCoy.

Sorry for the backseat LPing here. Just worried about further RPG LPs.

As for learning how to withstand grinding? I think that just comes with the attitude of the person. I'm at the point where I can grind for five levels if a game annoys me enough just to get through with the hard part, but I'm also far from a normal person. People don't really like grind outside of Japanese people who grew up with Dragon Quest.
Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago I'd say maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit, except I had to google takara and toshinden from your initial response so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You don't really come off to me as the sort of person who'd be into the PlayStation 1 and Fighting Games in The Year of Our Luigi 1995 which is probably the only time people would be able to enjoy any Toshinden except 3. You read to me as a sort of Platforming Duder.
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago You don't really come off to me as the sort of person who'd be into the PlayStation 1 and Fighting Games in The Year of Our Luigi 1995 which is probably the only time people would be able to enjoy any Toshinden except 3. You read to me as a sort of Platforming Duder.
Mainly platformers but also some blend of action-adventures, point-and-clicks, RPGs and life sims. And my playstation childhood consisted solely of spyro 1 & 2 (though I did have some PC ports/versions of some games that folks seem to associate more with the playstation like frogger he’s back and aladdin nasira’s revenge) but sony’s consoles have had an increasing presence in my life over the years.

Oh, and on that note… raocow, since you’ve played Ape Out you’re now obligated to LP the Ape Escape games at some point. Sorry, I don’t make the rules!

(they may be on the bucket list already idk I can’t easily check atm)

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

About time
Don't forget, submissions for SMWCP3 start in two weeks!
I hope you're kidding
Last edited by ano0maly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

wait like 3 weeks before doing smwcp2, ver released currently may have big bugs that were not caught beforehand. but then go nuts if you want
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

can't even begin to express how i feel about this
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i was about to mention smwcp2
S.N.N. wrote: 1 year ago can't even begin to express how i feel about this
it'll probably be better than a2mt and i dont mind a2mt that much outside of the really shitty stages
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

okay this isn't smwc so i can say this but
Not to be the "downer" guy here, but some of the changes listed you could have easily taken the extra week or two to add them and then release. Glad to see the release but no in game credits, a good and quick way to do that would be to grab the VWF Cutscene tool and just use that to make a quick credits sequence; maybe design some cool artistic works of the various worlds to give a little bit of flare. A VWF scene takes up much less space than levels with Map16 text or something, and while not as fancy as a hand coded credits sequence that was being done a long time ago, anybody can make a VWF scene.
skewer shut the fuck up challenge (impossible)

also a lot of what falconpunch brings up in the op is rules i imposed myself on aat by looking at how vip1-5 and asmt excelled (not so much vip5 though), smwcp2 is a victim of early 2010s hack design where every westerner thought that for a hack to be good it had to have absurd amounts of effort in it
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow play the following:
jumping flash
jumping flash 2
robbit mon dieu
ghost in the shell psx
geograph seal for the sharp x68000

really fun early 3d platformer/shooter games by exact, they would later merge with a bunch of sony devs into sugar & rockets who did a few japanese sony shit like popolocrois and intelligent qube. ghost in the shell also has a banger of an ost, but honestly jumping flash 1&2 also have one, have not played gs in like a decade (in the era where you could only get j-pc games from scattered download links in tokugawa corp forums and pc98.net) and i still need to play rmd.

anyway here are some gameplay videos. i cherish jumping flash 1&2 and what i've played of ghost in the shell and i really think you might enjoy them and they might make an entertaining short lp. robbit mon dieu is jp only and im not sure if it's hard to play for an english speaker though.

kiwi
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

gonna suggest this without searching to see if anyone ever has suggested it before

play a celeste romhack custom map. they're like smw romhacks or smbx but you know, celeste has a good engine nyoro~n

edit before someone gets funny with me for not suggesting a specific one. uh.
play 'gate to the stars', it's easy and fun and took me like 20 minutes to beat (i got 0/4 strawberries)

edit2: also you'll need Olympus

edit3: also if you're good at game, i recommend 'glyph' by the same author. it's much longer and feels difficulty-wise like you just finished chapter 9 farewell and you thought "yes please, more of this but a little tougher"
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

macbat 64
i've honestly never played a video game in my life