(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Leet »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 3 years ago So I guess that's a no, you don't know either? Weird.
I can't parse what this is about because I can't parse what "doing that single time" means either. I really would just like to know why you possibly took away "If at least one person feels bad for liking a video game you don't like, that's mission accomplished, right?" from anything anyone said, or moreover, would urge you to reconsider having that takeaway in the first place

Not that there aren't people who actually do think that making sexy video games is immoral, or imply as much. But if that was being expressed here (in this thread) I'd have already called that out myself

If you just posted this game in its own thread as "check out this cool game" we'd be in another situation where I'd agree that we shouldn't even linger on the subject too long at all, but posting it in the request thread is a very different context.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago
Jesuiscontent wrote: 3 years ago So I guess that's a no, you don't know either? Weird.
I can't parse what this is about because I can't parse what "doing that single time" means either. I really would just like to know why you possibly took away "If at least one person feels bad for liking a video game you don't like, that's mission accomplished, right?" from anything anyone said, or moreover, would urge you to reconsider having that takeaway in the first place

Not that there aren't people who actually do think that making sexy video games is immoral, or imply as much. But if that was being expressed here (in this thread) I'd have already called that out myself

If you just posted this game in its own thread as "check out this cool game" we'd be in another situation where I'd agree that we shouldn't even linger on the subject too long at all, but posting it in the request thread is a very different context.
I meant "every single time", and by that I'm referring to my post after that, aka pointing out video game boobs = bad at every chance possible. Also what could you ever mean with your last paragraph? How does that change anything?

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Yeah I just saw that as a typo.

Although, I don't think comparing with this being in its own thread quite works, because that would imply the LP has already started and that's different from a request. And if this was a general game topic in the cartridgé, then the art decisions would very much be fair play to discuss, at least to go over once.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i really don't know what happened in this thread

the game looks really good, honestly, but the sexualization is making me mad uncomfortable as someone who is specifically repulsed by female sexualization (this is primarily a garbage trigger from life experiences and not puritanism or misogyny). like i really wanna play banner of the maid sometime personally as an srpg enthusiast, but this feels a bit too much, at least the worst that one tribal hunter game does is like blatant fat fetish stuff and not giant boobs/dicks/balls

i'd be down with raocow playing it but stuff like the bikini is a bit too much. mokou looking fly as always
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Given that raocow played rabi-ribi and ended up having a good time with it, the main thing I am really worried about is if youtube is gonna bonk him for horny on this. Otherwise he can play this at his own discretion and I would have no problem with it.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

The overt sexualization is a bit much and do I wish developers would stop assuming we're all horny teenagers, but ultimately it isn't any worse than the Shantae games which are quite mainstream. I'm far more offended by sexist characterizations than big boobs and jiggle physics.

The gameplay looks fun, but maybe a little slow? I feel like I'd have to play it myself to see how it feels.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I can promise you that the dev drew what they drew for themselves rather than because they were specifically catering to a horny audience.

There is a dash functionality in case Yuuka's walking speed is too plodding for the player.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i think it'd be super cool if raocow could play this obscure platformer called super mario world
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

time is cyclical
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago The overt sexualization is a bit much and do I wish developers would stop assuming we're all horny teenagers, but ultimately it isn't any worse than the Shantae games which are quite mainstream. I'm far more offended by sexist characterizations than big boobs and jiggle physics.

The gameplay looks fun, but maybe a little slow? I feel like I'd have to play it myself to see how it feels.
I'm glad you mentioned that because I don't know how the Shantae games escape this type of scrutiny.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago
The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago The overt sexualization is a bit much and do I wish developers would stop assuming we're all horny teenagers, but ultimately it isn't any worse than the Shantae games which are quite mainstream. I'm far more offended by sexist characterizations than big boobs and jiggle physics.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I don't know how the Shantae games escape this type of scrutiny.
wayforward is just full of horny people it's insane. im pretty sure the artist of river city girls joked about drawing loli at one point (she's a woman iirc before anyone starts assuming) which was Incredibly Awkward (i forget the specifics exactly but oof). at least rcg!skullmaggedon is the ideal malewife

bumping my Popful Mail Sega CD (Unworked Designs patch!!) rec but adding a weird dialogue warning since raocow isn't that much of a fan of Zwei!!'s and this one's English translation is even worse. JP is comical but not as absurd, nothing you wouldn't expect out of Slayers, Lina and Sega CD!Mail even share a voice actress, Megumi Hayashibara (PC Engine CD has Mariko Kouda taking up the role, Madoka from Twinbee's voice actress).
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

That RCG artist anecdote is interesting, given the whole thing about Shantae's age. As far as I'm aware it's never been explicitly overridden/retconned in the games themselves since the tweets that kicked off the whole mess, and this is what turned up when I went to check:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shantae/commen ... &context=3
MrPowerGamerBR wrote:
Somebody DMed someone who actually works for the company rather than simply operate their Twitter account and he said that that person had no influence on how old Shantae actually is and that person no longer is at WayFoward
...and that's not proof because that DM could easily faked. Why would the user crop his Twitter handle and WayForward's handle for no reason at all?

And, if it is really a "person no longer is at WayFoward", why they didn't delete the tweet, since they know that it was causing confusion. (I may be 100% wrong, but iirc that user that shared the DMs said that they couldn't delete the tweets because "they don't have permission to"... and that's just a pretty dumb excuse that just points that the DM is faked)

Also, WayForward's twitter account talked about Shantae's age twice, in two different tweets:

From 2015:

From 2018:

And both are still up, the tweet in that DM is the 2015 one.

I was here when that user said that "we finally have an answer!", and guess what? Even after users from this subreddit asked for more proof, he just didn't give them, and said "bro just trust me". And if I recall correctly soon after the user deleted his reddit account.

EDIT: I decided to dig a little bit by reverse image searching the DM and the only proof I found was this: https://shantae.fandom.com/f/p/3100000000000000291

So yeah, the post was deleted and it seems that the DM was between the user and James Montagna (WayForward's Director)... which raises the question, if he is the director, why didn't he ask the social media team to delete the tweet, instead of keep the tweet up? And of course, it is still easy to fake those DMs so I'm still not convinced that it is not a fake conversation. I tried searching if James had confirmed somewhere else that the DM conversation is true but I didn't find anything related to that.
They go on to speculate "oh, well, they probably made her 16 to deter people from making lewds of her" in that comment chain which, if that were actually the intent, you'd think they'd be a lot more modest with her cut-in art in Pirate's Curse.

The larger discussion about horny devs probably should be split off into a separate thread like folks are suggesting in the shoutbox, but I figured this stuff at least was worth noting here in case anyone is on the fence about suggesting Shantae games or other WayForward titles. That said, if Shantae's adulthood is established in Seven Sirens or there's something that credibly points toward the company taking a firmer stance against sexualizing minors since 2018, don't hesitate to share it.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

For consideration

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago For consideration

Shovel Knight has a crossover even when he doesn't appear
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago
how would he play this
Image Image
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago how would he play this
5 hour game creation livestreams daily
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago how would he play this
MaGGBGL contest?
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

/\ This should happenis this sarcasm? maybe, maybe not
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago
how would he play this
By creating a game designed around a specific mechanic and then forgetting that mechanic after using it once or twice when he actually plays the game himself and falling backwards into an alternate approach that also Works but is much more irritating to use but it Works so he keeps using it until the game is defeated

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kilgamayan wrote: 2 years ago By creating a game designed around a specific mechanic and then forgetting that mechanic after using it once or twice when he actually plays the game himself and falling backwards into an alternate approach that also Works but is much more irritating to use but it Works so he keeps using it until the game is defeated
you woke up and chose violence to raocow's entire throat today huh
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

why are you booing me

i'm right

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

(To be clear, that entire post was written without a shred of malice, so if it is indeed offensive/upsetting then I will gladly remove it)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I'm more upset with it being a run-on sentence, to be quite honest
Image Image
Image Image