(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

After playing this I think this is right up raocow's alley, as you can see from the trailer it wears its Super Nintendo influence on its sleeve, plenty of Kirby/SMW/Yoshi/DKC and more in the controls and level design. Can also get surprisingly challenging. Also, touhou doujin! It's been a while, right?

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I need to grab that game myself, having followed the creator on Twitter and watched the dev progression for I think over a year. I've heard tons of good things about it. Definitely worth consideration at the very least.

(Also apparently Lunatic difficulty is actually really hard but I've heard less about this in particular)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I gave a deep sigh at the art style

I thought "I'll watch the trailer anyway, maybe that title screen is an exception"

10 seconds into the trailer the gratuitous jiggle physics began, and continued
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah no the dev has A Very Certain Art Style which may admittedly put some people off
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I'm starting to be of the opinion that rao playing games with artstyles he has to tiptoe around just aren't worth the drama.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

why are you guys saying art style, it's just yuuka's boobs. that's not the "art style" it's one (very prominent and distracting) thing, other than that the art style is normal + inoffensive 2d lineart. come on guys you can acknowledge breasts directly, it's okay, you won't go to hell
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

look it's really that canon touhou manages to be so utterly non-sexualized that this is notable
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago why are you guys saying art style, it's just yuuka's boobs. that's not the "art style" it's one (very prominent and distracting) thing, other than that the art style is normal + inoffensive 2d lineart. come on guys you can acknowledge breasts directly, it's okay, you won't go to hell
I think they're phrasing it that way because it it's never the existence of boobs that's the problem (they're a thing that people have), it's the way they're drawn. (Checking the trailer, it's not just one character, it's all of the cutscene portraits.) There's an artist choosing camera angles, outfits, choosing what's detailed and what's simplified and in what way. That's an art style, which communicates about the author and audience. In this case, it's communicating "I'm horny about boobs". And like, there's nothing inherently wrong with being horny about boobs or drawing art about that, but it's weird how often it gets crammed into this genre of games totally incidentally to everything else about the game. And when your turn-ons are a big part of something as irrelevant as... mario-style action-platforming... that starts to look like a sign that you can't really turn it off, that you need to mix your turn-ons into all of your hobbies. That sign may not always be accurate, but it understandably makes some people uncomfortable.

There, is that straightforward enough?
Leet

Post by Leet »

I mean that's all nice, and I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me it, but I still don't think that's the "art style". If somebody is choosing to put their fetish in something all the time that's not their "art style" (in a visual sense anyway) it's just a thing they are doing.

"All the cutscene portraits" is also not literally true but obviously there's no need to get enmired in the semantics of something like that
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Honestly, seeing the trailer, it looked fine. It's only the initial title screen where there's anything 'questionable' - once it gets to 2D gameplay I feel that your attention would be on the level design rather than how the sprites move. You don't notice unless you really pay attention to the sprites, and even then, after you check out the sprite work you would just get back to the gameplay.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I actually do find it to be very very distracting (I think most people do not switch their brains between "how the sprites move" and "gameplay" mode so rigidly). Which is fine. If I was going to play the game. Someone trying to commentate over it blind is another story though. I would guess that the chances of this being played are very low.
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago I mean that's all nice, and I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me it [...]
Eh, sorry -- I thought you were just casting everyone skeptical of LPing this game as too prudish to even admit what the issue is, but I think I misinterpreted you. (And that helped me find a satisfactory way to word my thoughts on games that do this thing, which I never did when this subject came up previously on the talkhaus, so I kinda just jumped to posting it.)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Lol. I hoped that I would at least find ONE person that would comment on the actual gameplay, or hell, just the game itself, but no, always gotta make sure everyone knows you hate video game boobs and be real judgemental about it. If at least one person feels bad for liking a video game you don't like, that's mission accomplished, right?...

After all this time I thought that talkhaus would've outgrown this frankly ridiculous new wave of puritanism, but it just looks like that's never going to be the case. Oh well, your loss.

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

That gameplay looks pretty neat
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Leet

Post by Leet »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 2 years ago If at least one person feels bad for liking a video game you don't like, that's mission accomplished, right?...
Okay to be completely blunt here, where the hell do you get this shit? If you feel victimized by people commenting on how silly putting jiggle physics in a 2D platformer is, as if it's specifically meant to make you feel bad, you're in a dark mental hole that really has nothing to do with any of us.

At this point the topic can really only shift to focusing on your weird outburst, too. So I'm not sure what you came here to accomplish. I actually think this game looks awesome btw, but just because I like something doesn't mean it has to be for everyone.
Last edited by Leet 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago
Jesuiscontent wrote: 2 years ago If at least one person feels bad for liking a video game you don't like, that's mission accomplished, right?...
Okay to be completely blunt here, where the hell do you get this shit? If you feel victimized by people commenting on how silly putting jiggle physics in a 2D platformer is, as if it's specifically meant to make you feel bad, you're in a dark mental hole that really has nothing to do with any of us.
You use the word victimised pretty liberally. I'm just trying to make sense of it all because I really, really don't get the point of doing that single time. If you have a better theory, be me guest though.

Also I realised I'm not being entirely fair because Kilgamayan did try to talk about the game, so thanks for trying man.

Leet

Post by Leet »

Okay, if it's not you, who is being made to feel bad for liking this game??? And why would you imply that is anyone's deliberate intention???
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 2 years ago After all this time I thought that talkhaus would've outgrown this frankly ridiculous new wave of puritanism
Like I said, there's nothing wrong with horny art. For example I follow a lot of people on twitter, some of them retweet art they find hot, but hey I chose to follow them and that's part of the experience. Sometimes I'm into it.

But there's a weird pretense with these games that supposedly aren't about horniness but mix it in like it's an entirely neutral and unremarkable thing. There's nothing wrong with enjoying games that do this (whether that's because of, in spite of, or regardless of, horny art) but you can't expect everyone to be into it or ignore it.
Leet

Post by Leet »

hey roacow why dont you play senran kagura its a beatemup and you get to destory the world! wtf why aren't people talking about the gameplay??? looks like internet puritanism wins again
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I talked about the game :sparklythings:

I don't want you to feel bad about the suggestion. I think there's potential from what the trailer showed and I do see what you mean by influences from games like DKC series. I guess the art decisions are a legitimate point to bring up, but I don't think in this case it should dominate the playthrough if there is one; it would just be something to address and then get it out of the way.

We've had these conversations with upcoming games before (you know the ones) in 2018... and then eventually raocow played them and they mostly worked out fine, with people impressed with what they saw. Ultimately, if the game has quality worth it, he can decide whether or not to play it. And I would wager that he will not see this as the obstacle that stops him from playing it.
Last edited by ano0maly 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

That's exactly what I'm saying though. Not everything is for everyone, so why is it that in 99% of cases, people will just say a one-off comment to the likes of "yeah I dunno I like part of it but the art style isn't for me", or just ignore it, but for games that happen to have this particular art style, every single time there's always pages and pages of pointless debate, to the point that it completely drowns out every other discussion. Just look at wings of vi or rabi-ribi.
Leet wrote: 2 years ago Okay, if it's not you, who is being made to feel bad for liking this game??? And why would you imply that is anyone's deliberate intention???
So I guess that's a no, you don't know either? Weird.

Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

(And to be clear, tons of games do that thing I'm talking about to varying degrees, even including some AAAs. Don't mean to rag on this game in particular, and I can think of at least one game raocow LP'd in the past that was a way sharper example. It was just, while we're on the subject I was inspired to clarify what's not at issue and what is, imo.)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Kilgamayan wrote: 2 years ago
(Also apparently Lunatic difficulty is actually really hard but I've heard less about this in particular)

yeah it's pretty hard because it turns you into a two-hit wonder and there's only one checkpoint in every level, some of which are pretty damn long. I'm not sure if I'd recommend normal or hard difficulty honestly, because hard doesn't really add new "content" or patterns per se as far as I can tell,, but hard mode really keeps you on your toes (and your life count does matter!)