(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

sadron

Re: request grab-bag

Post by sadron »

raocow wrote:
AmazingBastard wrote:Uhm I dont know if raocow is interested in this or maybe somebody already suggested it but I found a site with Japanese SMBX episodes. There are quite a few of these? So if somebody thinks it would be ok to post the link here say so.
it's in the plans, I just haven't decided on anything official yet due to my running list of stuff to do
Oh! Merry Christmas raocow ^^ hope you and the family are having a good evening.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

Have you considered doing more drawing videos at any point? I really really really loved those.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!

I want to see Rao play an unconventional adventure game.

I don't think it qualifies as an RPG?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Kapus wrote:Have you considered doing more drawing videos at any point? I really really really loved those.
To add on to this, rao you could seriously just draw your updates for Aricelle and talk about anything you'd want to say and people would probably be into it. It would also let people see your process for the comic, something that fellow artists really dig.

Also be advertising for Aricelle and self-marketing it, very important too for those subs to have missed the trailer.

But ye, I feel you, usually doing those when you have something to talk about and just not having that talking point that you need lately.
Miyuron

Post by Miyuron »

Grounder wrote:Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!
I would pay all the money to see this.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

By my incredibly cursory glance at a google search of this game it looks pretty good.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

And make Hamchat inserted into English the operational language of the talkhaus.

Edit:

And flipflop Hamchat stickie English the heyhoo of the Gossip-paus.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i have never watched the hamtaro anime or played any of the games

i know the anime aired here though

am i breaking any laws
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Is Drama Mistery 2 still on the table? 'Cause I think Mr. The Cow said he was considering it at some point. Would be super awesome to see him play that series again.
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

CM30

Post by CM30 »

LovelyPenguin wrote:Is Drama Mistery 2 still on the table? 'Cause I think Mr. The Cow said he was considering it at some point. Would be super awesome to see him play that series again.
I think the difficulty may be an issue with that game. I'm not sure much of it is feasible save stateless.
Azure Lazuline
Pronouns: choose randomly

Post by Azure Lazuline »

YES
Me and Raibys made Copy Kitty! Now we're working on another game, about fruit and hugs.
http://entanma.com
https://www.patreon.com/NuclearStrawberry
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Psychonauts is an amazing game for sure, and I'd recommend anyone to play it, but not only is it an AAA title, it's also a 3D platformer, and getting 101% is a nightmare. I don't think it's up raocow's alley.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Horikawa Otane wrote:]Indie-AAA
What does AAA even mean anymore? Did it ever mean anything?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I'd kinda like to see Psychonauts too. I'm not sure if it would be a blind LP though.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:]Indie-AAA
What does AAA even mean anymore? Did it ever mean anything?
It means different things depending on context, just like most words. It can refer to production style, team size, budget size, whether there is a separate publisher, or a fuzzy sense of game-design philosophy or "indie spirit".

Even though Psychonauts had a AAA-like production and budget, Double Fine is technically independent from larger corporate entities and shareholders etc, and its design style sometimes reflects that. Psychonauts has elements falling into either camp, depending on how you measure it, and well, "Indie-AAA" can be used to describe that phenomenon.

People sometimes use terms like double-A to describe midsized development teams that aren't tied to a huge corporate entity, but aren't scrappy hobbyists working out of their homes after work. People will also say noncomittal things like "semi indie", or be inconsistent, or ignore the indie-AAA spectrum altogether... but if you try really hard I bet you can figure out what they mean. The malleability of language is something most people can cope with.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Ditocoaf wrote:The malleability of language is something most people can cope with.
Nice.

But seriously though, the way the games industry is structured now is such that basically every game is a high-budget blockbuster affair or a low-budget indie affair. There's not really any middle ground as such anymore.

I think both are unhelpful terms anyway. AAA is a word loaded with the connotation of the game being excellent and top-quality. Really that's the primary meaning of the word, with AAA = high-budget developing from the belief (propagated in large part by the devs themselves) that a game needs a big budget to be good. Indie is another word loaded with the connotation of being underground and anti-mainstream. Now we have the stupid position in games and music where indie is now a genre. It's not yet to the complete stupidity of the music industry where "indie" is a big-budget and heavily-advertised genre though, although the game industry has reached the point where indie games don't have to be independent. The film industry is stupid on this point too: I'm reminded of Strong Bad's explanation of the difference between indie and independent.

So if we commit to using those words, what then for the big-budget games that are shithouse but consistently are saddled with good connotations by being described as AAA? What then for the low-budget games that are actually incredibly derivative but are saddled with the good connotation of originality by being described as indie? And for that matter, what then for jamming AAA and indie together and not giving a hoot about the wildly clashing connotations?

English is really a language where every word has connotations, which is definitely the result of having way too many synonyms. So it irks me (as indeed, as the voting pointed out, do many things) when people are willing to give a free pass to words that are blatantly advertising.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

indie = creatively independant

if the developers made a game together cooperating and with general freedom: indie

if the developers were instructed on what to make by a company: not indie

there you go
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Leet wrote:indie = creatively independant

if the developers made a game together cooperating and with general freedom: indie

if the developers were instructed on what to make by a company: not indie

there you go
But the developers are in a company. And who do you think gives EA orders besides EA themselves? Unless you mean that every person in the company needs to be a developer in order to qualify as indie, which seems like it wouldn't apply to many cases at all, and then what's the qualification for being AAA? Just not being indie?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

yeah i knew i didnt word it very well

i know what i mean but i dont know how to say it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

And the Space stage would be a good source of padding for when there are no projects available.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That's what Voxatron (and Copy Kitty) is for.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Horikawa Otane wrote:And I mean, if people are recommending the Rayman games, at least some of those are 3d platformers too, so...
This isn't to knock the suggestion (Psychonauts might be fine for an LP) but iirc people were recommending the 2D Rayman games, in particular Rayman 2. Nobody really recommended a 3D one.

I'd almost be interested in hearing from rao if he's fine with working in the 3D space. Granted a lot more can go wrong and you're more prone to missing details because it depends on your camera catching those details instead of everything being onscreen all at the same time as in 2D games.

And ye, Psychonauts has a wacky sense of humor and design, so it very well might be something rao/the viewers would enjoy.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Bwarch wrote:This isn't to knock the suggestion (Psychonauts might be fine for an LP) but iirc people were recommending the 2D Rayman games, in particular Rayman 2. Nobody really recommended a 3D one.
Rayman 2 is 3D.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Rayman 2 is a 3D game you dumn

It's also the best rayman

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

if raocow's going to play commercial games can he play the entire klonoa series (except for klonoa heroes and beach volleyball since those aren't platformers)

thanks in advance
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*