(shouting)

This is Not the Greatest Game in the World, No, This is Just a Tribute

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

This is Not the Greatest Game in the World, No, This is Just a Tribute

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Superb Demo Sisters is a game: http://www.mediafire.com/download/omprd ... s_V1.0.zip
Superb Demo Sisters is an LP.
Superb Demo Sisters is a way of life.

Video List
Dev Room & World 1
World 2
World 3
World 4
World 5
World 6
World 7
World 8 & Credits

Since the game doesn't have a music code, here's the music list (will be updated as raocow encounters new tracks):
Title Screen & Hub: "Just Be There" by Maiku Wotaharu
Overworld (Normal): "Grasslands" by SharkNurse
Bonus Room: "Tropical Sapphire" by SharkNurse
Underground: "Blood God" by Demolition
Castle: "Castle" by SharkNurse
Vs. Bananasnake King: "V.B. Fist" by Zach Fankhauser
Boss Defeated: "Theme of the Black Dragon" by SharkNurse
Coin Heaven: "Beach Level Theme" by Chrom1um (from A2MT)
Underwater: "Demo Dance" by Avojaifnot
Overworld (Snow): "Winter Theme" by Chrom1um (from A2MT)
Credits: "Anime Electro House" by Zach Fankhauser

Music that raocow didn't encounter in the other game modes:
Challenge World Castle & Hard Mode Final Castle: "Sewers" by Wyatt Croucher (from A2MT)
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: This is Not the Greatest Game in the World, No, This is Just a Tribute

Post by Leet »

Doctor Shemp wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a virtually un-LP-able game and trying it is a fool's errand.
sure
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

It was the best song in the world
That crazy voice dude
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I stand by that, unless you have it all in the can beforehand and ready to go, especially since you can end up with a whole bunch of unusable footage if you game over. I just didn't expect raocow to do that as it would take longer than his usual recording time and I assume that he didn't game over.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Well that's not un-LPable, thats just un-LPable by raocow's usual standards!

anyway tho this is a pretty good game and im glad we're getting B-side again
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

spoiler it took just under an hour to get all the footage, which just so happens to coincide with the extra hour I had today thanks to the daylight saving change thing going on.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I can guarantee there are existing LPs where raocow has spent more time beating a single level then what it will take him to play though SDS's main game.

Also, I tend to really hate those episodes/levels.

Also, yay for raocow LPing (the bulk of) the game.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

raocow wrote:spoiler it took just under an hour to get all the footage, which just so happens to coincide with the extra hour I had today thanks to the daylight saving change thing going on.
Wow you must have speedran the crap out of the entire rest of the game if you beat normal mode hard mode and the challenge world in under an hour. Good job.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
raocow wrote:spoiler it took just under an hour to get all the footage, which just so happens to coincide with the extra hour I had today thanks to the daylight saving change thing going on.
Wow you must have speedran the crap out of the entire rest of the game if you beat normal mode hard mode and the challenge world in under an hour. Good job.
cheeky m8

Also since there's no music code and an0maly asked, I'll be updating the OP with the music credits. It's all in the basegame though.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Finally I can watch raocow again

I'll watch it tomorrow though, it's really late over here
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I really like the title screen.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This will be an interesting experiment to watch.

I wonder how much things have changed since I ran through it a few months ago.

(You did playtest as Iris this time, right, guys?) ;)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Willhart wrote:I really like the title screen.
I always found the goopas flying in the background neat. And I almost forgot that I made that sign let alone that it was in the game

The transition screens have improved, gawd.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Since the game doesn't have a music code, here's the music list (will be updated as raocow encounters new tracks):
Title Screen & Hub: "I'll Just Be There" by Maiku Wotaharu
FIFY
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Maiku Wotaharu wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Since the game doesn't have a music code, here's the music list (will be updated as raocow encounters new tracks):
Title Screen & Hub: "I'll Just Be There" by Maiku Wotaharu
FIFY
Duly fixed. Looks like A2XT shipped it with a wrong ID3 tag, which wouldn't be the first time it's done so.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

WELP

Wasn't expecting this. Though it seems that raocow did actually opt to do what I thought was the optimal way to LP it (do it all in one session and chop it up into several videos... though they'll obviously be very short videos). Guess it's a tad disappointing that Hard Mode/Challenge World won't be shown, but I suppose it's better for people to just play it themselves in the first place~

Hopefully none of the participants are irked by tweaks made to their levels late in the project cycle!
Grounder wrote:(You did playtest as Iris this time, right, guys?) ;)
yes

Was there something in the past where Iris broke things...?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:Finally I can watch raocow again
Ditto, sah. Just can't get into those RPG-ish Metroidvania LPs.

Not much to say yet, though. Nothing overly exciting, no big secrets, no points of contention. It's absolutely world 1! That SDS has no save system at all means I'll probably pass on *playing* it, it should be interesting enough to watch.

One of these days, I should add, I am totally going to be part of a Talkhaus collab. I just... need to wait for one I can get into early. A2XT Episode 2 looks... pretty crowded. And I... don't even know where to begin with that. :oops:

Oh, and I have to say, I like the usage of Maiku's song. That was one of my favorite A2XT original tracks, so it's nice to see it getting more use.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

swirlybomb wrote:but I suppose it's better for people to just play it themselves in the first place~
I'd go back and finish it if you could save your progress. I understand it's supposed to be based on SMB1 but having no saves was a bad design decision even if it's fairly short. And it's an even worse decision when it's not made clear and someone loses 5 worlds of progress. It would have been a better idea to have a simple overworld like Super Mario Bros. DX and allow saving.

for anyone unfamiliar with the game, this is the entire overworld:
It's really bare bones and basically just functions as a level select screen.
Leet

Post by Leet »

If you could save then the game would completely lose it's point.

its SMB1. it can be challenging. dwi

i understand that some people may not like this, but then, that's disliking what the game fundamentally is. which is okay, of course, but it doesnt mean it should be changed at all.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

I still hope he does World 9 when he gets a chance....
Image Image
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Alice wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:but I suppose it's better for people to just play it themselves in the first place~
I'd go back and finish it if you could save your progress. I understand it's supposed to be based on SMB1 but having no saves was a bad design decision even if it's fairly short. And it's an even worse decision when it's not made clear and someone loses 5 worlds of progress. It would have been a better idea to have a simple overworld like Super Mario Bros. DX and allow saving.
My response:

My longer response:
It's a fundamental part of the game. I'm not good at the Marios by talkhaus standards and even I didn't game over until 8-4 on my first try. It's really not a challenging game in the normal mode, and if I could immediately restart from 8-4 it would be piss easy. As it is you only need to play 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 and 8-4 to complete the game, assuming you can find the warp zones (they're not hard to find).

And, yes, Hard Mode is hard, and Challenge World is hard too, but that's why they're called "Hard" and "Challenge".
Alice

Post by Alice »

Doctor Shemp wrote:My response:

My longer response:
It's a fundamental part of the game. I'm not good at the Marios by talkhaus standards and even I didn't game over until 8-4 on my first try. It's really not a challenging game in the normal mode, and if I could immediately restart from 8-4 it would be piss easy. As it is you only need to play 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3 and 8-4 to complete the game, assuming you can find the warp zones (they're not hard to find).

And, yes, Hard Mode is hard, and Challenge World is hard too, but that's why they're called "Hard" and "Challenge".
Where did I imply it was an issue of difficulty? I said no saves was a bad design decision which is a fact really and had nothing to do with difficulty in any way. Not everyone is going to want to sit through the entire game at once nor will everyone have enough time to do so. Even Super Mario All-Stars at least let you save your progress by world which didn't really do a whole lot to make it any easier.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Because it is entirely an issue of difficulty. If you could save at the start of every world, a 5-year old kid could beat the game (assuming they can't already). It removes everything challenging about the game, because the answer to "can I do something if I'm given as many tries as I want in a row" is always "yes". It turns from being a test of skill to a test of patience. It takes about an hour to complete the game without warp zones and without speedrunning, and that's a long-ish estimate. This isn't a portable game where you could be playing on the bus or the train or whatever.

Here's the bottom line: if you don't have a continuous hour to spare, then play with warp zones. That's what they're for. Warp zones have always been intended as a substitute for saving and the password system.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Alice wrote:bad
Alice wrote:a fact
cool
Alice

Post by Alice »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Because it is entirely an issue of difficulty. If you could save at the start of every world, a 5-year old kid could beat the game (assuming they can't already). It removes everything challenging about the game, because the answer to "can I do something if I'm given as many tries as I want in a row" is always "yes". It turns from being a test of skill to a test of patience. It takes about an hour to complete the game without warp zones and without speedrunning, and that's a long-ish estimate. This isn't a portable game where you could be playing on the bus or the train or whatever.

Here's the bottom line: if you don't have a continuous hour to spare, then play with warp zones. That's what they're for. Warp zones have always been intended as a substitute for saving and the password system.
If people want to abuse a save function to make it easier that's entirely up to them. I could just as easily give myself infinite lives through Cheat Engine or something if I found it too difficult too. You're basically justifying artificial difficulty. Make the game harder by making it so you have to play the entire thing in one sitting. The reason you couldn't save in the original SMB was due to technical limitations. Limitations that don't exist in SMBX and shouldn't be emulated just because this game is trying to be a clone of the original game.

Here's the Bottom line: Skip portions of the game. That's literally what you said.
Leet wrote:
Alice wrote:bad
Alice wrote:a fact
cool
Do you maybe want to try saying something productive?