(shouting)

Valdis Story: Abandon ship

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Valdis Story: Woof!

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder when Rao will get the green magic, whatever element it is (either plant or poison).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Eathanu

Re: Valdis Story: The very drawn-out battle

Post by Eathanu »

Horikawa Otane wrote:The devs have generously provided raocow with a Humble Bundle key where he can get an updated version of the DRM-free version.
So now it's on raocow to figure it out. I want to say he's getting better about it, so he'll probably get the update in place the video after it's extremely relevant for something, then somehow break it so that some parts of the game are updated and others aren't. With any luck, at least.
Miyuron

Re: Valdis Story: Woof!

Post by Miyuron »

Sir Pancakes is awesome.
Eathanu

Re: Valdis Story: *Clearly under-leveled, stays anyway*

Post by Eathanu »

raocow, you DID make sure you could leave that place before saving there, right? I mean, you wouldn't make that kind of mistake in a game that's proven itself not to have all of the best design decisions.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It would be nice to see what level the enemies are.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Correction to my earlier post: First Ryuko, then Zacharie, now Dan McNeely?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Man, if I were playing, I would have experimented to see which magic is best against these new guys. Not after 2 wolves and a dozen purple guys.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Eathanu wrote:raocow, you DID make sure you could leave that place before saving there, right? I mean, you wouldn't make that kind of mistake in a game that's proven itself not to have all of the best design decisions.
You can't ever lock yourself out of the main world via save.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Current Game: Distorted Travesty 3
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

WhattayaBrian wrote:
Eathanu wrote:raocow, you DID make sure you could leave that place before saving there, right? I mean, you wouldn't make that kind of mistake in a game that's proven itself not to have all of the best design decisions.
You can't ever lock yourself out of the main world via save.
That's good. That's not always the case, so I was a bit concerned there.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Okay, so now that I've actually watched the video...

While it's true that the sunken prison is one of the harder areas in the game, and that raocow is generally under-leveled, what really caused a lot of problems here was an old classic:

raocow never stops attacking.

Whenever the spiky poison feral guy pulls a Boom Boom, he will counter everything (except maybe a focus finisher?) with a poison aura. You have to wait until he stops doing that to resume aggression. He's still a challenging enemy once you know that, but the vast majority of the damage raocow took from him was by wailing on him when he's invincible.

The same actually holds true for the sirens as well. After you damage them enough, they go into their counter state, during which they are invincible (except to pre-existing debuffs like bleed and poison) until the attack is done.
If you read this post and thought "Wow, what a swell guy, I sure would like to hear his voice and also watch videogames?" then do I have a link for you.

Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

So from what I've read, Fate Roulette can be a nice focus finisher. However, it's reliant on the luck stat, so it might not be the best thing to use because one of the effects that it can have (and did have several times in today's video) is the instantaneous zeroing out of raocow's MP bar.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

There's one big thing I'm noticing that seems like it would make the game really obnoxious to play, especially in an area such as this engineering section. They really like to place flying enemies in the most irritating locations to be able to fight them without falling and having to repeat stuff again.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Valdis Story: Something something electricity

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So I played for a little while today and noticed something useful.

The Assist guy raocow has on for healing? When summoned near an enemy, he momentarily stuns them and turns them around. So if you've got his assist available, he can give you some free hits on the big shield guys.

This happened in the video, but I don't think raocow noticed it specifically.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Dark_Paratroopa

Post by Dark_Paratroopa »

In the prison town, next time you're there, you should take another look at the things they have for sale and the materials needed. Some of that stuff is really good. Fun fact: If you didn't kill the yeti earlier, he'd have gone to there and killed everyone at a certain point.

One of the items there is the grey metal armor, which is made from those pieces of mysterious grey armor bits you've been collecting so far. It provides immunity to the three statuses paladin armor doesn't, and comes fully upgraded. It also comes with a mana shield passive, which is a mixed blessing.

Also, I would recommend upgrading one 'evil' magic and one 'good' magic fully at the two magic guys, to deal with opposing alignments. The first upgrade basically doubles all the values from base, and the second is triple from base. It also changes the required mp value of certain spells, but I forget if it's generally upward or downward. Fire and light is a very popular choice, but they all have pros and cons. Upgrading the healing spell rune makes your healing a LOT more efficient.
WhattayaBrian

Post by WhattayaBrian »

Dark_Paratroopa wrote:One of the items there is the grey metal armor, which is made from those pieces of mysterious grey armor bits you've been collecting so far. It provides immunity to the three statuses paladin armor doesn't, and comes fully upgraded. It also comes with a mana shield passive, which is a mixed blessing.
Except raocow killed Dhistahn, so he can't get that armor.

Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow, when you're low on life potions and only two rooms from a save room you should really consider going and saving to refill them before something like this happens. This isn't the first time you've avoided going to a nearby save room when you weren't full on life potions and paid for it.
Grounder

Re: Valdis Story: Let's give bosses a billion HP

Post by Grounder »

Wyatt confirmed for being a big old hypocrite.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Seems like a real jerk move to put a tough miniboss to drain your resources, right before the actual boss. But yeah, the save was right there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

What happens when the magic is upgraded? Does it do more damage or something?
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

Question: Does the lightning shield give you immunity to lightning?
Also, why does the 'lightning yo-yo' remind me of the grapple beam?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

about damn time the double jump showed up, I've been waiting for it for two weeks now :B
And yeah, the super-tanky bosses in this game are really starting to grate on me. It's entirely possible to make a boss hard without making them take ages, even in a combat heavy game. Brief example: Guacamelee. Does this very well.
Then again this is just continuously proving to me that I am not a huge fan of the vania side of metroidvania. The platforming doesn't look especially fun to do considering how much trouble raocow keeps having with it. Considering that he's better than I am at platformer-type stuff and all.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote:And yeah, the super-tanky bosses in this game are really starting to grate on me. It's entirely possible to make a boss hard without making them take ages, even in a combat heavy game.
If you think these ones are bad you should see some of the ones he has to do before too terribly long. I decided to try picking it up again and I'm around three bosses ahead of raocow. I forget one but the two after that are fairly ridiculous, especially

the one in the Pit who is surprisingly difficult to manage to dodge because she moves so fast.

Miyuron

Post by Miyuron »

Well, for some reason I kinda expected that the game would pull this kind of dick move. Safe statues are a cow's best friend.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I think the real problem is that it's a game based heavily on customization and the min-maxing of stats, equipment, and abilities, and the devs were only thinking of how easy the game could be if you make optimal build decisions when they were balancing the game instead of considering how powerless a subpar hybrid build like raocow's making will be. Plenty of other series suffer from this flaw, but at least Valdis Story gives the ability to respec.

Who knows? The devs may have also fully intended for hard mode and above to only be played by the informed who either did their research beforehand or already played through the standard difficulty.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

I also think that part of the issue is that rao hasn't upgraded his favored default weapon.
While he's upgraded the angel-dual-daggers twice
And it's not like his strength is low