(shouting)

A2XT: It's Over

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
The Doctor

Re: A2XT: World 2 is Forest World

Post by The Doctor »

docopoper wrote:
Unaniem wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Can't wait to see raocow's reaction to the Clown Car tomorrow.

inb4 he beats the level using a different vehicle on his first try and leaves it at that

Most of the other vehicles are almost impossible to use so good luck. xP

I found the Goomba pretty easy to use. That's how I beat the level.

Menshay

Post by Menshay »

Developer commentary of Edge of the Night:
My very first SMBX level, though it went through several stages of tweaking during testing (which didn't introduce extremely relevant changes, I suppose). I'm not sure how well the level fares in terms of actual design quality, but I guess it can't be worse than "pretty dull", especially since the atmosphere is the main point.

"Edge of the Night" could be taken as a reference as the structure of the level: some sort of giant ledge whose upper part and underside are traversed in sequence (which doesn't make a lot of sense due to the overworld placement, I guess). Or it's just some kind of weird-sounding and possibly pretentious title.

I made the entire ground tileset because why not. It's pretty much SMW land turned blue, but since I wanted to be original it's made entirely from scratch. The higher resolution is just because I noticed SMBX's tiles are bigger and I wanted to fully utilize that space while not realizing it would introduce a certain amount of clash (except raocow didn't seem to notice at all unlike some of the testers, so yeah).

Credits to S.N.N. for the "Luna's armpit" joke (from somewhere in the ASMBXT LP thread). Yes, it's yet another in-joke, though to be fair I guess it's still meaningful enough in the context of the level to not be as "bothersome". I guess having a leek as the secret (possibly a non-ending leek) would've been more fitting in the context of the game, but this level has been around for a pretty long, surely more than the general guidelines (which have consistently been pretty lax anyway) and I never bothered/felt it was absolutely necessary to change it.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Today was town day. I don't mind that at all.

Farina Station was... big. The station itself I can tell used Rosenkreuzstilette graphics for the background, of course not to mention Tia herself (kind of random, especially since it's German which not everyone can read), but okay then. Lots of little funny things here and there. I didn't explore it too much when I was playing, so I missed the thing with

the Raocoins, especially the foreshadowing of what happens in Mantreol

, but it's pretty big!

Edge of Night meanwhile was a nice little platforming level. A slight chuckle at Luna's armpit there, but oh well. ^^;
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Narolas

Post by Narolas »

Don't use a sign if you intend on doing that in the future. For the most part you want things to be visually obvious instead of using text since text really breaks the flow of a level.
oh yea definitely. i'm a "show don't tell" kind of designer, I prefer visual and design cues to blatant information throwing/exposition. I was more thinking of a rough fix that wouldn't require changing the room, but honestly I think it's fine. Even if you die to them the first time it's not hard to get back to that part.
There would be better ways of making a player visually understand the need to suddenly rush to the exit, i might try the ones i'm thinking of next time.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

HA.

That reuben was already ruined when you added tomato to it. You can't just go adding tomato to things willy-nilly! There's a subtle art to sandwiches!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

The Doctor wrote:

I found the Goomba pretty easy to use. That's how I beat the level.

Same here. That's how I beat it the first time I played the level.

On repeat plays, I think the best overall choice is

the Clown Car with drill roses. Take the two from the left and stack them on top of the ones on the right. Gives you a four-block-high wall of drilly death to plow through the enemies.

TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

I agree with doco, more people need to play Rayman. But then Band Land happens. Image
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:I agree with doco, more people need to play Rayman. But then Band Land happens.
Yeah, but that's also the point where you become obsessed with the music.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Oh man, I finally get to talk about my own level.

Farina Station Developer's Commentary:
Farina Station's name is actually a reference to a nearby place I'm familiar with (not that it's actually a train station to begin with, but details). Basically, I originally wanted to make the town feel "towny" by adding a few more places outside, but eventually I found myself focusing more on the library and train station to the point where both were the only buildings present. Given that there's a lot of action in the Library, though, it all evens out in the end.

Since the train station is the closest area when you enter the Town, I'll go over that first. The background is a color-washed version of the one from Schwer-Muta's stage in Rosenkreuzstilette (the same game Spiritia is from, and a really high-quality one at that; I'm still waiting for raocow to LP it in the future). As for the unfortunate Magi, I did try to make her German speech at the very least comprehensible in content. In fact, I asked around for an actual German speaker to proofread the text to make it more fluid. Unfortunately I didn't get any major feedback on that issue in particular like I did for the town in general, so eventually I ended up leaving it alone. Man, if only I knew how oddly phrased her words would turn out to be. The worst part is, I actually took German in high school (and got into my school's German Honor Society, no less!), so it's quite embarrassing to find I haven't remembered as much as I once did. As for the rest of the station, I did want to make a reference to raocow's Psycho Waluigi LP and his stay at the Rest Ruin Kingdom, but I found myself not wanting to hunt down the Ninjettes' sprites or make them from scratch. Ah well, there's already so much to the level!

Now then, the Library proper:
  • As many YouTubers picked up, there's an Elsen from the indie RPG OFF working the returns desk. I really liked that game for its atmosphere and themes, not to mention the sheer absurdity of the premise; since when can you ever say "baseball batter exorcising ghosts from surreal worlds" with a straight face? Of course,

by the end of the game that Elsen's the last of his kind

, and I felt bad for him. Thus, I put him to work there as a sort of consolation.
  • After that (and my cameo at the info desk) there's the elevator. There was quite a bit of work involved in making it line up with every floor, especially since in betatesting I recall one of the testers being miffed about the elevator being a pixel off in the upper floors (and judging by the video it might still be off...). Oh, and it used to be slower as well, so overall I was glad that I tinkered with it more.
  • So, the Toad on the first floor up who mentions his seat formerly being occupied by a guy with a giant leek? That's actually a bit of production backstory; Maiku Wotaharu used to be where the Toad is now since his level This Sounds Accurate was originally going to be in World 2 as well. He would have given the player a giant leek hint for the level for chatting with him. Sadly, when the levels got shuffled around and his level ended up in the previous world, I ended up taking him out of the library.
  • The RaoCoin Bros. were up on the next floor because one of the level creators mentioned that it'd be a good idea to include a helpful hint on their function. To make them stand out, I gave them all distinct personalities and speech patterns to match. RC the First is the young and naive one who sees only the best in the world, RC el Secundo is (obviously) the Latino dude, The Third is a pretentious college student/indie artist-wannabe who's blind to his ego, and the Fourth is a total gangsta guy. Meanwhile, the Fifth was originally going to be a lethargic and scathing being, but I decided to make him really ill instead to make him more sympathetic. Considering that

he doesn't make it past Mantreol

, I feel that this was a good decision on my end.
  • Next up is the third floor, where Mann the Toad waits for a particular section of the library to finish repairs while another one nearby eyes the suspicious stack of desks across the hall. I pretty much put that place (and the area it leads to) there at the request of Minnakht, who is the author of Grand Trunk Arena and presumably wanted to give an early heads-up of that gimmick before it becomes relevant. I'm not complaining, though; it gave me a good excuse to sneak in another development gag referencing the Talkhaustrophe. As for the flooded room Mann is waiting for the repairmen to finish, I simply put that there as a challenge for those who feel really lucky/desperate for lives (and to show how bad the water damage really is).
  • All that's left after that is the Leek Sanctuary proper and the alliterative Toad within. Before we finalized the order of the levels, there were several levels in this world whose creators had usernames beginning with M (e.g. Moosh, Menshay, Mandew,...). Granted, now that the levels have been shuffled there aren't as many such names, but I still couldn't pass up the opportunity to make the reference.
Finally, I know it's been brought up a couple times by now, but a few NPCs have extra dialogue if you talk to them again either immediately or after you do something else:
  • After you have the conversation with her, Spiritia will mutter to herself (in the closest approximation to German I can remember) about how she fears for her friends who are fighting the Holy Empire.
  • Isrieri moves to the other side of the library doors and complains about the lack of sandwich shops nearby after you discover the rotting panini.
  • I introduce myself properly after giving you keycard access to the Sanctuary.
  • Right after the RaoCoin Bros. rush to The Fifth's aid (but before you speak to the latter again), you can talk to the other brothers. El Secundo even has a single Christmas tree if you talk to him again, and after that he'll join in on comforting the Fifth until he vomits the Banzai Bill.
  • After talking to the Toad in the flooded room, you can talk to Mann again and he'll complain about the repairmen's lack of professionalism before having you talk to his friends downstairs (who likewise are nonplussed about Mann being obsessed with that particular area). No, you don't have to get the 3-Up at all, unless you really need the lives.
  • After the slacker Toad gives you the Grand Trunk Arena hint, he'll mention having a party to plan forfurther renovations to do in the area. The suspecting Toad will be outraged by the disservice and go sell the story to the tabloids as well.
Now then, with that settled I can go talk about the other level as well.
Edge of the Night (Menshay): This was a really fun level! Despite there being numerous Goopas, they didn't ambush me unfairly nor were they difficult to maneuver around. The Bananasnakes added a good challenge (especially before the midpoint), but like the Goopas they weren't too obnoxious. It helped a lot that there were Christmas trees to gain ice powers from.

Also, funny reference to Luna Tower there, Menshay. I guess that's the body part Luna herself didn't want anyone to know had personal significance!

E: Oh, and I almost forgot. I came up with the idea to make the Chozo into an Amperstand, and (I believe) jayScribble made a rough draft of the sprites to which I then added details to make the final product. Looks pretty, doesn't it?
Now then, all that's left to do is finish off World 2 and then take a well-deserved vacation!
TheFinalSentinel

docopoper wrote:
TheFinalSentinel wrote:I agree with doco, more people need to play Rayman. But then Band Land happens.
Yeah, but that's also the point where you become obsessed with the music.

)))Image(((

Still waiting for a proper sequel to Rayman 1. Origins and Legends are great tributes, but too many distinct aspects are still missing. Music being one, just not the same style at all. :/
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I'm still waiting for someone to make extended remixes of the tracks in that game. They feel like they are taunting me and telling me "Here is a tiny snippet of the best music you've ever heard".

Oh god I love this song.

Haha people! It's not technically off topic! :P
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
TheFinalSentinel

That song will forever by ingrained into my childhood. :D

We're totally not off topic here. Haha, derivation.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Level thoughts for today.
Farina Station- Not my favorite town, but a fairly nice one nonetheless. It simultaneously feels small and large due to it's layout. The town itself is only a couple of buildings, but the library just kind of throws a huge number of options at you at once (most of those options being locked doors and hallways that don't lead to tangible rewards, which is a bit frustrating.) I think the key for the Sanctuary would have been better near the top, as lugging it around isn't super fun and due to the layout you're going to want to visit every other part before the Sanctuary. For that matter, getting to the Sanctuary should probably be a bit quicker and easier since it is really the only thing of note to do (aside from finding the Easter Egg.) The town does get points for atmosphere and a few funny moments.

Edge of the Night- This one feels very ASMT-ish, between the music and the graphical choices. Nice, simple level with good gameplay. The secrets are well-hidden without being frustrating, and overall it's just constructed very well. Not the most memorable, perhaps, but a fun time nonetheless.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

sedron wrote:Level thoughts for today.
For that matter, getting to the Sanctuary should probably be a bit quicker and easier since it is really the only thing of note to do (aside from finding the Easter Egg.)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the express button on the ground floor that leads straight to the Sanctuary. I'm pretty sure what you said was what I was thinking when I decided to add that.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the express button on the ground floor that leads straight to the Sanctuary. I'm pretty sure what you said was what I was thinking when I decided to add that.
Even with that, it's still a bit long. Don't get me wrong, the express button is a fantastic addition that helps a lot. However, you still need to run the entire outside of the town, go through the first floor, do the dialogue for the key, get it to spawn and take the elevator up.

Maybe I'm just impatient, I dunno. =P
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Full map of world 2:
A2XTWorld2.png
A2XTWorld2.png (201.12 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

And so ends the "treet" of world 2.

"Pimp Yo Ride" is one short but very unique level, based on it's gimmick: it's either an autoscroller, a vehicle stage, or an enemy spamfest if you didn't take a ride. I certainly hope someone shows all of the rides.

"Sheath Partakes in an Interlude" is a level invoking the "Zelda 2: the Adventure of Link" feel without the difficulty involved. I think some of those enemies didn't have a graphic swap post-acceptance, but it's nothing to be really concerned.
The main thing about the "Gels" being springs is that I needed to think what hops and what instantly contracts and stretches, so I though of a spring would be a humorous replacement for those enemies. That, and I try to claim as much Zelda-type enemies as possible for AZCT.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

Funny, World 2 feels a lot bigger when watching/playing. :P

As for the video... Do people actually still believe the Erroll thing? I mean, given the jokey nature of the level(and the game as a whole), it's obvious Error's entire dialogue was meant for humor's sake, but I'm genuinely curious if there's anyone who thinks his name was incorrect.

Anyway, loved watching rao experiment in the first level, and the second was a goofy little reference thing.
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

tigermoon wrote:As for the video... Do people actually still believe the Erroll thing? I mean, given the jokey nature of the level(and the game as a whole), it's obvious Error's entire dialogue was meant for humor's sake, but I'm genuinely curious if there's anyone who thinks his name was incorrect.
By that, you mean that the real "error" is actually "Bagu" who is supposed to be named "Bug"?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Beta testing tidbit: Up until late in the beta-testing stage, Pimp Yo Ride and Just Rusty were switched on the overworld map. Making Pimp Yo Ride the first level the player encountered (and had to beat) upon entering World 2. They were swapped based on concerns that Pimp Yo Ride could be too hard/frustrating for the very beginning of World 2 (at least compared to the other World 2 levels).

Also, for those secret-hunters following along at home: there's a hidden bonus in the second half of Sheath Partakes In An Interlude that raocow didn't see, containing an extra powerup and some developer commentary.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Voltgloss wrote:Also, for those secret-hunters following along at home: there's a hidden bonus in the second half of Sheath Partakes In An Interlude that raocow didn't see, containing an extra powerup and some developer commentary.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man. there sure are a lot of really secret... secrets, in this game
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

And so ends the world of preventable forests... whatever that was meant to mean in the first place.

Pimp Yo Ride I thought was a really neat concept, although the actual level itself is a bit crazy. Thankfully it's not too hard.
Sheath Partakes in an Interlude is our first Sheath only level, certainly not our last, but I thought it was pretty easy-going. That boss battle though.
Also raocow had pretty much the exact same reaction to the Alone in the Dark 3 music as I did. Retsupurae is indeed a thing.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Maiku Wotaharu wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:Also, for those secret-hunters following along at home: there's a hidden bonus in the second half of Sheath Partakes In An Interlude that raocow didn't see, containing an extra powerup and some developer commentary.
I actually thought this secret was really obvious but judging by the fact raocow didn't even stop to consider it I guess it was just me that thought that. (I didn't know for sure there was one until seeing this since I haven't played yet myself.)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think the level was long enough not to need anything too difficult for the end.

That cutscene must have taken a lot of events to make.