(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Saturn Moriya

Re: A Second Mario Thing: SNN and alex2's little baby

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Corner of cave needs an anime.

Unfortunate gimmicks.

Graphic-focused level.

Today was a day. At least we got proof everything doesn't have to be super hard-difficult challenge.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The background in that first level was, for the most part, fairly awful. A few sections such as the one rao pointed out looked neat though. Also I find it kinda hilarious that the first level went with a Tails_155 style background then the actual Tails level right after actually looked fairly nice.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

drama
this is my favorite thread in the entire talkhaus :^)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

I find it a bit odd that my level in the Overworld rom doesn't have a secret path, even though the level itself has a secret exit, thought I don't even remember if I wanted the normal exit to lead back or not.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

shdwdrgnix wrote:I find it a bit odd that my level in the Overworld rom doesn't have a secret path, even though the level itself has a secret exit, thought I don't even remember if I wanted the normal exit to lead back or not.
Your level in ice world? Well the overworld isn't finished and I made the map solely of what I've seen on the overworld. Maybe the creator of the OW would have made your level with two exits with one exit sending you back or something.
Anyway if your level have multiple exits and I haven't noticed please tell me or raocow so he doesn't forget to play the secret exit too.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Can't a moderator just delete the posts with all that unnecessary drama? I'm really not a fan of people bashing all the time. I don't know if this forum does have a function like this. Over at Fusion Fangaming they used to do that and it made the thread look better as it was not derailed by some drama crap every two pages.

Just talk about that crap via PMs as it's not relevant for the game.

Also once again while are people kicking their heads in because of a fanmade game? As I have previously written, noone was paid for it nor does anyone have to pay if he wants to play the game. It's not worth arguing about something like that. There are way more serious issues giong on in this world, problems that are really worth arguing about, but not about a game, and especially not about a fangame.
Get over it.

That being said today's levels wee pretty good. The first level felt a bit slow due to the gimmick but it was still pretty good. All in all a nice "start".
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
truthordeal

Post by truthordeal »

First time using my account here in about 2.5 years. Haven't seen this much latent sexual tension hostility since the BMD thread.

But for the video of the day, how did that level pass playtesting? Which "manager" played that level and thought that the arbitrarily enforced mechanic didn't completely kill the flow of the level? I don't even blame the level designer; that's just bad management.
Last edited by truthordeal 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Slit08 wrote:Can't a moderator just delete the posts with all that unnecessary drama? I'm really not a fan of people bashing all the time. I don't know if this forum does have a function like this. Over at Fusion Fangaming they used to do that and it made the thread look better as it was not derailed by some drama crap every two pages.
It's not very good to delete posts. It's possible of course, but the mod team has a pretty good view on it in not deleting anything for history's sake. Also the mods are in fact warning people of continuing, so if the drama continues for dumb reasons people will likely be banned. So there you go.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Wow, errm, talk about a level being kind of made a bit worse thanks to the gimmick? I mean... it definitely felt like one of those "play and forget" levels, and that's fine, not every level is going to be super memorable, but that first level really didn't need about half of your natural Mario abilities taken away like that. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as THUMP, but it was kind of unneeded. Also that reset door warp point.

Second level looked kind of neat, and while ultimately I still think it's kind of a "play and forget" level, it did have a kind of interesting visual theme. Not the best, but hey, the level wasn't entirely bad or drawn out or anything.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

I'd say the intertwined landmasses would've been enough as a gimmick for that first level, unless obviously the vast majority of the hack looks like that. Also midpoints. And reset doors which dump the player way back (and maybe a useless P-switch section, I guess).
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

yogui wrote: Anyway if your level have multiple exits and I haven't noticed please tell me or raocow so he doesn't forget to play the secret exit too.
in fact both the level in the base rom and the unfinished ips one(12C) have secret exits. Though 12C was intentionally supposed to lead you backwards on one of the exits I don't remember if the ice once was supposed to be that way
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Today: a really poorly thought out reset door, no running in a level, and some neat shading that Demo sadly can't take to match the level it's in.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

No. The overworld and the levels are incompatible at this time.

As for just ousting the levels that don't work, I don't think that would be useful in the slightest. Because people I would hope would want just the whole thing to work instead of a smaller portion of it.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Bwarch wrote:No. The overworld and the levels are incompatible at this time..
Wasn't that just an issue of the OW and some levels using the same ExGFX files, though? Because that should be easily fixed by just changing the numbers around.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Don't make Ryuu go through this S: it's not worth it Imo. I've played about half the levels now, and I think asmt is much more enjoyable.

But yeah, as far as I know that could work (doesn't seem like there could be any technical barriers whatsoever for such a method). It's kind of farfetched for a game that's still missing a bunch of other stuff/should be cleaned up in the level design department (today's a perfect example; that "you can't do these things mario's supposed to do for no reason" gimmick doesn't have to exist at all and the level would be better without it), but it would be some sort of almost proper system to play the not really proper game.
Last edited by Saturn Moriya 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey raocow, maybe instead of fading between each overworld, maybe just use that pixely filter you were using in the Wily fortress, and simulate the effect SMW already does when entering a level?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Hmm I'm used to not having spin jump to an extent, but not having run is new to me. It makes the playing experience quite different since you're not nearly as agile. It's rather pleasant to see Mario at this pace though, and Ashan's level was pretty neat.

This reminds me of when I first played DKC and I couldn't get past Winky's Walkway without Winky because I didn't know you could hold the roll button to run.

Also notice the eyes in the disco shell?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Sebby19 wrote:Hey raocow, maybe instead of fading between each overworld, maybe just use that pixely filter you were using in the Wily fortress, and simulate the effect SMW already does when entering a level?
I was thinking of him entering the level, record up until the "Demo Start!" screen and then cut to the start of the level in the baserom ips (with the placeholder water OW), if that makes sense?
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

I haven't seen it mentioned, but why does the sound on these videos sound like a 240p video's sound, but on a video that is actually good quality?
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Alright, I now actually played from the start of the hack through the first three levels in a toolless fashion.

Menagerie In Glass feels like going through plains with some silly stuff painted on top of it, and a bunch of non-obstacles. It's okay, but it goes on too long.

Intertwined Plains looks like a great level, but the gimmick makes it tedious and it makes you wish it would just end...

Stroll Beneath The Stars is a level with that good ol' "super pretty" look to it. The level design is just not very interesting and with that lack of variation...it goes on a bit too long.

One of these things is just like the others, all of these things just shouldn't be as longandmaybehavethatgimmickremoved~

PKBeloved
Don't ask about the space plants

Post by PKBeloved »

welp, I end up having to leave for a few weeks due to homework, I come back and I am rewarded with VIDEOS GAMES

I must say this looks really good for just the base rom, it would have made a great rom hack.
Good lord I said some stupid stuff here when I was younger
Image Ver.2.1 now with a balanced fighting system, that lost of fun to play to be honest. You'll notice when playing that Demo has more HP and Strange, as where Iris has more PP and defense, she also grows just a bit faster, but her states grow slower. Also, furba sprites has been finished!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

TheGuyWhoIsSitting wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned, but why does the sound on these videos sound like a 240p video's sound, but on a video that is actually good quality?
Maybe it's just me but the video quality itself seems subpar compared to usual for raocow too. It says 480p but it looks more like 360p to me.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Therealninjaboy released a bunch of A2MT videos including an old version of Intertwine Plains

One thing with the tails155 style tiles is that some layer priority tile mix with background tiles so it's a glaring type of cutoff if you run into it. By the time I was submitting levels, the project leaders were hardasses about those things but that's apparently not the case back then.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I just legit played Smoldering Stones and eh...it's pretty good in some parts, pretty bad in others. The gimmick works for the boss fight, but other than that it's just kinda there.

When you make a level wherein your only hazard is Thwomps, it essentially becomes a wait and bait level (also some of those diagonal ones are placed in such a way that you'll never see them coming until they've hit you). This makes the "you gotta jump every two seconds" gimmick just another layer of timing; another layer of having to wait around a bit longer for some of the thwomps.

I really like the boss though. And that chest is pretty awesome too.

I'm not finishing THUMP. It's pretty much a What The Hell level, that's all I'll say.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

It's only been like three episodes so far, Alex.

Things are probably just going to continue for the most part.

(And shouldn't you of all people be expecting more of it?) :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage