(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mineyl

Re: A Second Mario Thing: better than a butt (debatable)

Post by Mineyl »

The same kind of thing happened to SMWCP1 with the multiple midpoints. A large number of levels there could've used it, as well, but it just came too late in the development cycle.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I've run into the problem of particular sprites not spawning after entering from a secondary entrance. Sometimes on the screen you enter, sometimes on a succession of screens. I don't know why it happens and it's obviously very inconvenient when it does.

There's a similar problem where a sprite won't spawn if you enter at a main entrance from level x or y but will from level z.
dont wanna jihad no more
Kil

Post by Kil »

So has there ever been a talkhaus custom ASM boss that wasn't a little girl
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

unfortunately
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You know if you could sync that eraser SFX to the music you get a pretty good octave bassline out of them. Get some louder drum samples too, preferably ripped from an 808 and a 909, and you could make some early house music in SMW.
Kil

Post by Kil »

alex2 wrote:

see it's funny because the final boss is nitori

I know. Including her there's at least 5 of them.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I recently came across how Dr00desu was someone working on an A2MT level until the person's flash drive got stolen.

I was wondering, would it be a good idea to have a small shoutout for that person?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

This level was a lot more fun and better than yesterday's level, despite both revering the spike shape. Anyways, there's a very obvious thing to add to the list of mistakes that "The Meaning of Sharp" breaks.
  • Thwomps Everywhere
  • requiring ASM
  • Tails existing

(land masses as decoration)

• Too many managers
  • Overconfidence in peoples abilities to make bosses using assembly coding in their free time.
  • Powerup Filter
  • Stingy powerups
  • Not enough boob foxes
  • Unstrict with deadlines
  • "Once it's in, it's in" policy
  • Themed worlds
  • Aiming for a difficulty level one tier below kaizo
  • relying on one person who doesn't keep you updated for a thing.
I can think of a few thing for A2XT that goes on the list, but we'll get there when that comes.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
  • Tails existing

Tails was the worst manager A2MT had by far. His landmasses pale in comparison to how much he personally fucked the project.
I'm too young to even remember his leadership but I guess that may deserve a spot on the list of this project's mistakes.
  • Thwomps Everywhere
  • requiring ASM
  • Tails existing (land masses as decoration)
  • Tails existing (ineffectual/bad leadership)
  • Too many managers
  • Overconfidence in peoples abilities to make bosses using assembly coding in their free time.
  • Powerup Filter
  • Stingy powerups
  • Not enough boob foxes
  • Unstrict with deadlines
  • "Once it's in, it's in" policy
  • Themed worlds without much thought
  • Aiming for a difficulty level one tier below kaizo
  • relying on one person who doesn't keep you updated for a thing.
[/list]
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

alex2 wrote:
  • Tails existing

Tails was the worst manager A2MT had by far. His landmasses pale in comparison to how much he personally fucked the project.
What exactly did he *do* that borked the project so much? (No, really, I'd actually like to know, since I wasn't around then, and I'm not sure anyone has ever mentioned any specifics; I'm not just trying to start shit.)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Didn't know how to use any of the programs. He only took up the reins because he wanted to make raocow happy, but he had no clue what he was doing. He'd often come on IRC and ask me for help (and confide in me about how nervous he was about running the project, how he bit off more than he could chew, etc).

It was a mess.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

S.N.N. wrote:Didn't know how to use any of the programs. He only took up the reins because he wanted to make raocow happy, but he had no clue what he was doing. He'd often come on IRC and ask me for help (and confide in me about how nervous he was about running the project, how he bit off more than he could chew, etc).

It was a mess.
So, basically... complete inexperience, but a lot of enthusiasm and ambition? A dangerous combination, indeed.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

• Not enough boob foxes bara lions
Must I keep repeating myself
alex2 wrote:who the hell let the boss be an artist when the final boss is The Artist
Go eat a ham
Adeleine/Ado is awesome
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

raocow played super good getting past that first part without taking a hit. If it was any more difficult it would probably take whole day to complete.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Ah, I've been waiting to hear that track. Definitely my favorite that Wyatt has done - happy to see that it found its way in.
raocow wrote:it's not that bad
yes it is
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote:Ah, I've been waiting to hear that track. Definitely my favorite that Wyatt has done - happy to see that it found its way in.
That song is one of the best SMW songs I've ever heard. Kind of a shame A2MT died, as almost all of the music was so good.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
sedron
im proud of you kid

Re: A Second Mario Thing: it's not that bad

Post by sedron »

I can't remember ever actually liking dealing with the baseball Chucks. I don't think they're abused the same way Lotuses are abused or to the same extent, but they cause similar issues. Today's level seemed to exemplify that problem.

Jolpe's level design is usually pretty good when he tries ("Where is my Sanity?" from ASMBXT is really cool.) This switch palace seems fairly good, but honestly those Chucks are too much for my tastes. The best way to beat the level probably involves dispatching more of them than raocow bothered with, which is annoying by virtue of Chucks taking multiple hits. They make too many projectiles in such a small time span, and unlike other projectile-spawning sprites they can change where they're shooting. The pressure they apply to the player is not to be taken lightly, and I think Jolpe's level overdoes it.

Even if the level were toned down, it could still easily be a good end-game level (I assume the moles would be faster outside of the fish market due to the weird thing where their speed depends on what overworld map you're on.)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

sedron wrote:I can't remember ever actually liking dealing with the baseball Chucks. I don't think they're abused the same way Lotuses are abused or to the same extent, but they cause similar issues. Today's level seemed to exemplify that problem.
This is my least favorite enemy set, and it is often used in layout like this in hacks. Typically, the limitations in SMW work to force the level maker to have sensible level design. Limitations with types of enemies and sprite limits prevent someone from lazily spamming every enemy. The limitations with level dimensions also prevent super empty levels and makes levels more focused and meaningful. However, this level is more of the dark side of these consequences with everything being made to kill you.
Money

Post by Money »

sedron wrote:(I assume the moles would be faster outside of the fish market due to the weird thing where their speed depends on what overworld map you're on.)
Wait, really? Huh, I never knew that. What a weird thing to program in. Are there any other enemies that are like that, changing their behaviors according to the map you're on?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

MoneyMan wrote:
sedron wrote:(I assume the moles would be faster outside of the fish market due to the weird thing where their speed depends on what overworld map you're on.)
Wait, really? Huh, I never knew that. What a weird thing to program in. Are there any other enemies that are like that, changing their behaviors according to the map you're on?
It's not that weird. They're an ambush enemy and like all ambush enemies it's fairer to introduce them in a more obvious way so the player has time to learn their behaviour before it becomes more sudden. I assume coding their behaviour to be dependant on the submap was easier than making a whole new sprite.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

alex2 wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:I assume coding their behaviour to be dependant on the submap was easier than making a whole new sprite.
you can have the same sprite have two different interactions based on an extra bit

logically someone who disassembles the moles would opt to do that rather than use the default submap thing
How often would you need to specify the bit value? Would you need to do it for every mole, or for each level, or would it be based on X position, or what? I'm trying to see the logic in using submap-determined behaviour if it's harder to program and all I can think of is it being faster in the long run.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Well, if they would have had to do it once per mole sprite, then if they already knew that they only wanted them to be slower on one submap and nowhere else then coding that specific behaviour would seem to be the most efficient way overall. It's not like they were expecting anyone to disassemble it later and try to make something functional out of it.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'm possibly misunderstanding what you mean by "once per". I thought you meant you'd need to specify the behaviour with the bit method once per mole you inserted as you inserted it, not that the engine would need to check the value once per mole appearance, which I assumed would be the case. I thought that seeing as the submap would already be known you then wouldn't have to specify anything when you inserted the mole.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

MoneyMan wrote:
I believe Amazing Flying Hammer Bros throw their hammers more slowly depending on the submap they're used in. I could be misremembering though.
Money

Post by Money »

sedron wrote:
MoneyMan wrote:
I believe Amazing Flying Hammer Bros throw their hammers more slowly depending on the submap they're used in. I could be misremembering though.
Yeah, that's what I kinda was thinking as well. Baseball Chucks I think may also be affected. I always chalked any differences up to limitations though, I didn't know they were actually coded in. Learn something new every day.