(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zygl

Re: A Second Mario Thing: SNN and alex2's little baby

Post by Zygl »

MrDeePay wrote:Spoiler:
There is a level later on where the player's max speed will lower the further they progress (or was it based on the timer? I forgot.) It makes some sense in context, but execution left much to be desired.
Wow, that's actually really cool. Not sure how the level itself is, but that gimmick at least sounds like a unique and interesting gameplay experience.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:Spoiler:
There is a level later on where the player's max speed will lower the further they progress (or was it based on the timer? I forgot.) It makes some sense in context, but execution left much to be desired.
Wow, that's actually really cool. Not sure how the level itself is, but that gimmick at least sounds like a unique and interesting gameplay experience.
I thought my controller was breaking halfway through that level. It feels like there are quite a few levels that changes the controls one way or another.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
oobitydoo

Post by oobitydoo »

KobaBeach wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Maybe we should have an official list of bad ideas that went into this game in the OP.
  • (...)
  • Not enough boob foxes bara lions
Fix'd 8-) 8-) 8-)
I like you.

Umm, content in a post....there's not really anything else to be said that hasn't at this point I suppose, other than that by making every level "memorable", you've made sure that none will be.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It's better to focus on making each level good rather than memorable. Without the gimmick the first level may have been forgotten a day or two after playing but that's better than being remembered as "that one level that was really slow because I couldn't run". It's a shame because it looked like it would be at least an average level without the gimmick.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Some of y'all gotta understand that filler levels are good. People need a breather level every now and then
Image Image
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

A breather in the very beginning???

I really quite liked Ashan's level, it makes me a sad panda people seem so down about it. Take away your running ability and all of a sudden everybody's down and gloomy. I think it would have been really forgettable indeed without the gimmick.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bwarch wrote:A breather in the very beginning???
I personally like starting out my work day with a break. Lunch if I can get away with it.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

alex2 wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:
Spoiler: There is a level later on where the player's max speed will lower the further they progress (or was it based on the timer? I forgot.) It makes some sense in context, but execution left much to be desired.
this is actually a spoiler

Anyway, that would be fireyblaze's level.
Ah, my brother KingTwelveSixteen worked on that level. I believe he got told he needed a gimmick or something because the level was pretty boring, then that gimmick happened. Then he dropped the level for reasons, and fireyblaze picked it back up?

Something like that.
Also is it okay to be pre-ashamed of my own tails-style landmass decoration in my level?
Though I do go the extra mile with it--

--it's really fucking obnoxious in my level.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

when i played the walky walk level for myself, i liked it due to it's change of pace status... it was like, hey, its a nice stroll. its calm and great.

probably isnt expressed very well in the raocow video due to him getting the parrot coins and stuff, which lengthens the "peaceful stroll" part of a more minimal playthrough.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
oobitydoo

Post by oobitydoo »

AUS wrote:
alex2 wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:
Spoiler: There is a level later on where the player's max speed will lower the further they progress (or was it based on the timer? I forgot.) It makes some sense in context, but execution left much to be desired.
this is actually a spoiler

Anyway, that would be fireyblaze's level.
Ah, my brother KingTwelveSixteen worked on that level. I believe he got told he needed a gimmick or something because the level was pretty boring, then that gimmick happened. Then he dropped the level for reasons, and fireyblaze picked it back up?

Something like that.
Also is it okay to be pre-ashamed of my own tails-style landmass decoration in my level?
Though I do go the extra mile with it--

--it's really fucking obnoxious in my level.
If you're gonna do something, do it right. In this case (and many others), as obnoxious as possible is the way to go.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Bwarch wrote:A breather in the very beginning???

early game ez levels are always a blast. you cant expect every level in world 1 to be a unique, tough experience, youre just starting the game man.
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

news to me
Well yeah, it was a long time ago. I only know because I'm King's brother and knew about the level in development.
It's not that interesting, really.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Early game levels are the most important, because they're the first thing the play sees, obviously. Note VIP. The first time Rao tries them out he's like "wow this is pretty uninteresting". Now it's one of his favorite series, and he always mentions that the VIPS push the mediocre levels to the start. It's a terrible way to introduce your game.

It's different because the early levels are usually for getting acquainted with controls and mechanics, and these are romhacks we're playing. So they don't have to be "hold right to win", but there needs to be a proper curve AND they have to make the game start with a bang. One way to take this is to slap on "pretty" graphics and call it a day. Another way is to actually be creative about it, and make some standard but interesting levels. It's a toughie, but it's not impossible. The best possible way to go about it is to go for something impressive and satisfying. Make it intense, make it high-speed, make something huge. But don't make it difficult. Demon's Crest did one of the best possible things for this Imo. Super Metroid too. Also, Super Mario World! Go to the lefthand level, BAM have a Banzai Bill. Take the level on the right, commit turtle genocide and gain a life of your own.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I just didn't know :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

well, yeah, which I read AFTER the episode uploaded today was filmed.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Nezumi's farm requires "normal" coins, not parrot coins. It was originally 99 coins but schnormanator was told it was a bit overdoing it, haha. It just serves as a deterrent, so that you use this level only if necessary since it's sort of "cheating"

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

A literal "Beef Gate" for 50 coins is what the level creator intended to be in "Nezumi's Farm".

Also, a shame that "Dodge the Beefsteak!" didn't have everything in working order.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Ducks and The Ground's Color Is Yellow are the highpoints of today.

Painting the Treehouse had some pretty good level design, but the item babysitting sections made it less okay. The gimmick is neat, but there's just a bit too much going back and forth.

Oh hey it's my level. I made that thing back when I had creativity nor any idea how to design anything. I'm all about the laid back rompy levels, and this one is too long. I don't even remember why I did the things I did, because it's been years. Also, no beefsteaks. I became a vegetarian since then anyways. Though dodging beefsteaks is kind of the vegetarian thing to do I guess. Also also, why did I have a dumb username. Also also also, ASMBXT did the same joke, but this happened first! Aaaaaaah!

I remember reading by deepay that the second half got too easy and was thrown together. My sprite placement wasn't very thoughtful, but I think they made it worse with the overabundance of charlie plant pots.

The entire level is about VIP references. The idea was to have a pretty standard level with some sort of infestation of VIP-ness. The first message is a raoquote from the dodge the beefsteak level, the final section is from Boon's Mansion, aaand I have no idea why it broke, because there's nothing of interest there. I've never had it break before.

The music is Starman, Cutman in the secret area, and the cloud portion was supposed to have SMW bowser music, but apparently someone decided that was wrong.

The secret path is a reference to the MissingNo level. That pipe to the left in that section leads to the treasure trove.

It's quite the clusterfuck. But there are more problems now than I originally put in there. Good times!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I quite like the painting gimmick.

Would like to see it expanded upon, even.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

I didn't want to just watch levels displayed like fish market, which makes me feel not good. So I tried to combine the base rome with the overworld provided by yogui, and tried to fix the issue. I guess I managed to do it. Try this A2MT rom.

a2mt_ow.zip

Pretty sure the game play of this will be equivalent to the base rom. If some bug related with this occurs, maybe I can support.
I'm hoping that this is helpful in some way to players and those who contributed to A2MT.
raocow

Post by raocow »

agie777 wrote:words
Ah man see because the parrot coins weren't working I didn't know if the vip1 room was supposed to be that, or if something messed up because it wasn't inserted fully or something!

Man, haha. The joys of playing something unfinished.
raocow

Post by raocow »

worldpeace125 wrote:I didn't want to just watch levels displayed like fish market, which makes me feel not good. So I tried to combine the base rome with the overworld provided by yogui, and tried to fix the issue. I guess I managed to do it. Try this A2MT rom.

a2mt_ow.zip

Pretty sure the game play of this will be equivalent to the base rom. If some bug related with this occurs, maybe I can support.
I'm hoping that this is helpful in some way to players and those who contributed to A2MT.
OH man!

Well, I'll definitely give it a try, and if anything breaks I can play the level in the 'fish market' for level display purposes.
went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

I'm just sad Mr. Cow didn't catch on the several An Unitled Story references in the painting level :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36F8D2LhIuI
"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

He DID play it four years ago, after all, fella.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Honestly yeah, at this point you guys remember a whole lot more about that run than I do!