(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: A Second Mario Thing: it's almost over don't worry

Post by YelseyKing »

Man, that final stage. Honestly, it was pretty cool. Intense, but not (usually) resorting to cheap Kaizo-like nonsense. I also liked how the various segments were based on various ASMT stages, though I can't remember offhand which stages the ice area and the "ghost" area in today's videos were a reference to.
S.N.N. wrote:That music though, aahhh. If someone could rip an SPC (without the ASMT world 8 portion - the one in the video ideally), I'd be grateful.
As someone who's trying to compile as complete an SPC set as possible for A2MT, I second this.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

YelseyKing wrote:the "ghost" area in today's videos were a reference to.
Wasn't that right before the red/sandcastle room in King Charles' Castle? I distinctly remember a Pac-Man room that was supposed to be a "computer virus".
Luigifan2010
Lua squad
First name: Mike
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Luigifan2010 »

i hopped on at about episode 55, watched all the other parts. wonderful series, i enjoyed it very much and raocow's video style (hard to explain really) is unique.

can't wait to see what mario related stuff he cooks up next! (probably a2mxt?) :D
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

CM30 wrote:The bigger question is; why do almost all Mario fan game/ROM hack/SMBX levels go on forever?

The problem with multiple midway points isn't that the patch is a bad idea, it's that we don't need so many levels (if any) that themselves NEED multiple midway points.

If ROM hackers and fan game devs stopped making every stage a marathon level, we wouldn't need all these midway points. It's especially true of collabs, where near enough every major level would have worked better as two or three seperate levels.
Because your average designer lacks anything that resembles restraint and they just keep adding on more and more until they're satisfied with their end product. They also tend to fail to look at their levels from the player's perspective, during any part of the testing process. (Assuming they test it at all.) Ultimately, extra checkpoints make a level less bad, but it won't stop them from being bad.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

S.N.N. wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:the "ghost" area in today's videos were a reference to.
Wasn't that right before the red/sandcastle room in King Charles' Castle? I distinctly remember a Pac-Man room that was supposed to be a "computer virus".
Hmm. I'm now wondering if it wasn't intended to be a mixture of that creepy red "outline" room (where raocow famously sang "The Lullaby" during his LP) and the "inside Windows" stage that followed. (Or did it come before? I forget.)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Man, that lullaby was awesome.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Oh man, a Nitroid level. And it was almost at the difficulty level of the real thing! Real shame about the last puzzle.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I liked Kaizoman666's portion and zebra raffle ticket's portion, but alex2's portion was awful.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

That's certainly one that's hard due to it's puzzle nature, and also one of the more tedious.

Sadly, the last part certainly looks like it fits within the "Nitroid!" game with the fuzzy/kedama guiding.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

We almost made it through this whole game without that level making an appearance. Too bad.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I did like this level. It's music and graphics managed to create some of the atmosphere from the original game. The final world had the most memorable theme of them all.

Switch block puzzles are difficult to make interesting and I kinda wish there was some more light platforming type challenge there to balance out the switch hunt. The power-ups were great and so were most of the puzzles.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Willhart wrote:I did like this level. It's music and graphics managed to create some of the atmosphere from the original game. The final world had the most memorable theme of them all.
With the exception of jump height and the bugginess of switches and dash blocks I thought the game felt basically like a SNES version of Nitroid.
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

... It may just be the masochist in me, but I'd kinda like to play a full game of that level today. Not Nitroid, I mean like a "Vegetable Garden Explorer Demo" hack or something.
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

alex2 wrote:video should've been titled "oh kappa my kappa"
too soon man
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Ometeotl wrote:We almost made it through this whole game without that level making an appearance. Too bad.
aha! still a dick, aren't ya?

Anyway, I was very happy to see that level actually be played. I remember hearing about it and seeing a screenshot and being like wow I can't believe that's actually a thing!
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Ometeotl wrote:We almost made it through this whole game without that level making an appearance. Too bad.
It's still a better A2MT level than the two you made.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Levels are always better when raocow savestates/gets lucky at not dying.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Levels are always better when raocow savestates/gets lucky at not dying.
There were plenty of reset doors and a health system. Most parts of that level are quicker to beat once they have been solved once. raocow did a lot of retries on that last puzzle though. That one was difficult to solve even with the right solution. This was also a very long level with multiple midpoints and creators.
ZRaffleTicket

Post by ZRaffleTicket »

So I'll just go out and confirm now that we'll be making a fuller game of the nitroid concept. Yes, alex, kaizoman and myself (zraffleticket).

Will be writing up a new topic on the monstrosity tonight.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Levels are always better when raocow savestates/gets lucky at not dying.
It doesn't take raocow to identify better/worse levels, especially when he is more likely to overrate a level than underrate it.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

For what it's worth that was the first video in the LP that I switched off. I gave up about three minutes in when nothing of any interest had happened - like actual platforming action, for example - and reasoned that there was no way I could sit through another quarter hour and change of that. Every single other video has had levels that either had some redeeming feature to them, were actually kind of okay, were good except for a few minor things or the context (the final level, which I think would be a lot better as separate levels than branching sections) or that I watched in a kind of continued bafflement that something really basic could go overlooked (e.g. that ultra-contrast level).

When the Captain Toad Wii U game was announced, and indeed when those levels featured in 3D World, I thought "who looks at Mario and thinks "this game would be great if it moved at a quarter of the pace, had much less action, and had lots of puzzles"". Well, know I now that there are at least three people right here on the talkhaus who think exactly that.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

awesome change of pace level, kinda boring to watch (especially since its kinda hard to grasp puzzles while watching, at least for me) but enjoyable nevertheless. the powerups make me wonder about a metroidvania with powerups like those ones and simlar, made in smw. unless thats been done before?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
tigermoon
Location: Is crazy a location? If so, I've been here for ages. :3

Post by tigermoon »

tigermoon wrote:... It may just be the masochist in me, but I'd kinda like to play a full game of that level today. Not Nitroid, I mean like a "Vegetable Garden Explorer Demo" hack or something.
ZRaffleTicket wrote:So I'll just go out and confirm now that we'll be making a fuller game of the nitroid concept. Yes, alex, kaizoman and myself (zraffleticket).

You had best not be messing with me. :P
WARNING: User is known for stupid ideas. Listen at your own risk.
... I prefer the one where you compare yourself to gremlins...
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

ZRaffleTicket wrote:So I'll just go out and confirm now that we'll be making a fuller game of the nitroid concept. Yes, alex, kaizoman and myself (zraffleticket).

I'm hype.
Doctor Shemp wrote:words
Wait, you were watching at all? I was under the impression you hated all of a2mt.

edit: Seriously though, I was judging that level based on how Nitroidy it felt to me. I was worried near the beginning, but it really shined through in the end.

Now whether Nitroid is a thing that people actually -like- is a different thing, but that's my favorite raocow LP. I liked this video a lot.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

AUS wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:words
Wait, you were watching at all? I was under the impression you hated all of a2mt.
It's certainly not a game I'd want to play but there are some good aspects. They're just buried under mistakes, which is fair enough to some extent for a game that never made it to final testing. Some of the mistakes aren't too big though. If the final level was separated into individual levels, for example, I would have no issues with it whatsoever. Well, maybe one or two super minor things, I'd have to rewatch and play it myself, but nothing approaching the "this is an unsalvageable mess" or even the "oh boy this is going to be a slog to fix" feelings I've had about quite a A2MT few levels. Although, to be fair, I had the same feeling for levels in all other talkhaus games including A2XT. There's just way more of them in this one. And lastly it really, really doesn't look like a game with 4+ years' development time. Although I suppose if you removed all the time in which nothing was done it would be less than that. And if I were a former head of the project then I certainly wouldn't be going around advertising the fact. It's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it? I mean there's a reason I've changed music pseudonyms multiple times. I don't want to be associated with fuck-ups and bad shit which I used to produce in significant amounts.

In any case, it's a testament to raocow that he can make entertaining videos out of bad levels but more importantly out of average ones, which is actually a lot harder, since you can't just shit over them for 10-20 minutes and call it a day. This video, however, I just couldn't pay attention to.

Maybe the level got better after I gave up 3 minutes in. Some of you certainly seem to be talking about action or something. If that is the case though then way to put your worst foot forward and start with the dull bit. You know what they say, start with a bang and end with a bang. If you have to have a dull part then shove it in the middle and break it up with exciting parts.