(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: A Second Mario Thing: better than your face

Post by ano0maly »

This is the second time raocow confused MegaMari with MariAri.

I remember watching this level from Cup's channel and it was pretty cool. The first part is basically Youmu's level with slight changes. So I guess Lily is lava frog with fishing ghost movement? Also, it's important to see that the rabbits with bamboo spears stop a bit short of the block corner.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I was just thinking how this one level could have easily been adapted into an entire world.

Level 1 - Rocky/Beach level ending with you reaching the boat
Level 2 - Boat ride
Level 3 - Climbing the stairs
Level 4 - Exploring the house
Level 5 - Boss fight

Instead it's all just mushed together into one short level where none of the parts get the polish they deserve.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Eh that's too long for one gimmick. And Cup didn't have 5 level slots.
Cup

Post by Cup »

Wow, I'm actually impressed raocow made it to the midpoint as easily as he did. He's getting his game back.

The rest was timer insertion. I absolutely hate time limits and think it's the worst part of mario games, especially one with collectibles, which is why I set it to zero. I kind of wish you went in to lunar magic and changed it so you could play the level like it was intended. 200 seconds is laughable. You probably would have beaten it in one or two lives if you took it as carefully as you did with the first encounter in the bunny hallway.

And yeah it was meant to be a "game in itself" kind of level to show off chdata's asm. It was meant to be a bonus parrot coin unlockable so the level as an event thing makes more sense and chdata was tossing around ideas for a boss at the end before he disappeared.

Kinda wish you would have mentioned that the timer was unintentional though, since it's all anyone's talking about. And I definitely wish you could have played the level the way you were supposed to. Patient observation and deliberate timing was the intended gameplay :/
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I only found out the timer thing was unintentional after I had recorded! I said it in the description and I say it tomorrow at the start of the new video, but yeah, it's one of those things I noticed while editing, I had no way of knowing.

Thus are the trials and tribulations of the zombie rom.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cup

Post by Cup »

If I wanted to make the player rush, I wouldn't use the timer, I'd use something silly like a heating malfunction in a bathhouse causing Mario to faint if he doesn't drink ice cold water constantly throughout the level :p

Edit, but SNN, you don't think it was very doable? raocow was on pace to beat the entire thing in about five lives before he hit the timer. I thought it was mid-difficulty kinda level.
Last edited by Cup 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

You'll never win a contest with that attitude, Cup.
dont wanna jihad no more
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Dear raocow,

Shift+F1 -> F1

Sincerely, everyone.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i friggin loved that level! shame about the time limit and that one kinda impossible segment, though. (and the effect they had on youtube comments.)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Oh, so it was Land of Illusions after all...
jayScribble wrote:
Grounder wrote:Confused as to why Komachi's boat moved Demo backwards.
I think that someone can explain it better, but it's a common problem in SMW with autoscrolling levels with layer moving blocks that go along with the autoscroll: they don't carry the player along with them, as if they were stationary.

One solution is to have conveyer blocks going right as the scrolling block.
I actually brought that issue up (along with other things in this level) and at best I was given an explanation by Ometeotl to justify it (a poor justification, at that). At worst the feedback was discarded entirely for no (good) reason whatsoever.

The level overwhelms you with mostly invincible enemies (Lily White is easily set up to be an ambush) in the worst places, is two levels masquerading as one, and doesn't give you much to fight back against everything. (Kind of a moot point due to this using SMW's default health system.)
Cup wrote:And yeah it was meant to be a "game in itself" kind of level to show off chdata's asm.
If you're talking about the sprites, there's far better approaches for that.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

MrDeePay wrote:I actually brought that issue up (along with other things in this level) and at best I was given an explanation by Ometeotl to justify it (a poor justification, at that).
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humor?s=t

Also, you were in fact given the reason by Cup at least twice.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

I recall Cup being adamant in keeping the level as-is despite the issues I discovered- perhaps to the point that it wasn't worth trying to pursue anyway (the boat problem can be solved as easily as making one block for it). And humor has a time and place for it- usually it's not during a time where you're seriously trying to help solve an issue.
Leet

Post by Leet »

MrDeePay wrote:And humor has a time and place for it
this is the talkhaus it is always the place
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cup wrote:Edit, but SNN, you don't think it was very doable? raocow was on pace to beat the entire thing in about five lives before he hit the timer. I thought it was mid-difficulty kinda level.
It really seemed like there were spots where you could have improved the design by taking out a sprite or two. On the whole, I've seen you design much better levels than this, and I have to agree with a previous comment - it felt more like a "custom sprite showoff" with level design being an afterthought of sorts.

I know people loved it though, so hey, I'm just one guy with an opinion.

E: also, to confirm: I'm only talking about the second half. I thought the first half was neat.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Maybe you should have had the shock guys not have contact damage. Pretty sure they didn't hurt you directly in the source game.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

That Toulou level was pretty amazing. The time limit was definitely too short, but everything else was more or less perfect. That being said, it really makes me want to try speedrunning it.

So yes. New favorite level in the hack so far; cue disagreement.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Leet

Post by Leet »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:That Toulou level was pretty amazing. The time limit was definitely too short, but everything else was more or less perfect. That being said, it really makes me want to try speedrunning it.

my name is youtube comments and raocow had trouble with this one part of the level darn these evil touhou levels that are BAD because raocow was sad at one part and i dont read the description and touhou sux cause hard!!!!!
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Leet wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:That Toulou level was pretty amazing. The time limit was definitely too short, but everything else was more or less perfect. That being said, it really makes me want to try speedrunning it.

my name is youtube comments and raocow had trouble with this one part of the level darn these evil touhou levels that are BAD because raocow was sad at one part and i dont read the description and touhou sux cause hard!!!!!
This level was actually garbage, though.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Lejes wrote:
Leet wrote:

This level was actually garbage, though.
The great Lejes said it was garbage that MUST BE TRUE

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Personally I thought the most obnoxious part of the level wasn't the timer, or it causing the level to degenerate into tanking from powerup to powerup, since that was a mistake and could have been something that was genuinely overlooked if it wasn't a mistake. The worst part was that portrait of Demo at the start. Hey, let's restrict the field of view and arbitrarily increase the challenge just to show off some art that's not specific to the level anyway.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

It's a very, very specific reference though.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The view restricting gimmicks are nothing new. I think that Demo looking good on that banner is a very good reason to have it there. It would have been amazing if it changed with the powerup status, like it did in the original game.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

I don't really think the demo banner counts as a view restriction gimmick. For it to be a view restriction gimmick, the level would have to exploit the limited view in some way. Instead, the level was designed to accommodate the banner- None of the obstacles would have been any easier if it wasn't there.

I mean, if a game has a smaller screen size than smw, does that automatically mean the game is exploiting view restriction nonsense? What about modern platformers where the camera position changes throughout the level?
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Jesuiscontent wrote:The great Lejes said it was garbage that MUST BE TRUE
I know right.

AnomalousBl00dude what are you even talking about. That first part of the level had a continuous stream of Eeries coming in from the (partially covered) right side of the screen. It absolutely does affect the player's ability to react to them. Games in general have to be designed around the screen dimensions. It's why handheld games, original Gameboy especially, have a weird everything-is-cramped feel to them, why the GBA version of Mega Man & Bass was poop, and why SMBX screens always feel way too large and empty. I agree with the earlier criticisms. This level doesn't feel like it was made to accommodate anything other than a desire to show off some custom sprites. And that wore out its welcome almost immediately.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

How dare you insult the mighty winner of MAGL the 1st I'm telling on you