(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
limepie20

Re: A Second Mario Thing: better than your face

Post by limepie20 »

Wow I get two in a row! Basically with this, Cheeseofdoom did all the technical stuff (sprite freeze, palette change, animation, graphics) and I added the freezing auto scroll and did all the level design. He originally started the level, but never finished it, so I dredged it with him.
There are a few things I would've done differently today like introduced the wind better, and not have a practically unfair obstacle in front of the second springboard, but hey I'm glad popular opinion is up, better than my other two levels.
Kil

Re: A Second Mario Thing: not as good as smwcp2

Post by Kil »

Cup wrote:but you can't argue that there isn't something distinct about a lot of SMWC produced levels
Click here to read the positive version of this post
SMWC levels usually put a heavy focus on a clean and solid presentation. I think this became very important to a lot of people after a lot of ugly stupid levels started becoming popular on youtube. To counter the stigma of these ugly levels, visual critique became very important to them, and they developed a very high standard for visual levels. If you play SMWCP you can clearly see many of the levels have lots of custom terrain, foliage, and other pretty stuff everywhere.

The opposite of this would be the pachinko machine level from VIP4, which is basically a wacky pachinko machine made out of SMW blocks which doesn't care how it looks.
Click here to read the negative version of this post
SMWC levels tend to focus on superficial visuals above anything else. They do this because they're still trying to make everyone forget about all those stupid youtube troll levels from 2007. Since the main activity there is upping one's social standing via the art of complaining, all of the levels have become super inbred into the same exact thing from the endless whining of the same 5 people who do nothing but complain about mario levels all day.

The opposite of this would be the pachinko level from VIP4, which was created WHEN THE ANCIENT DEITY IZUNA GONGEN HIMSELF PARTED THE HEAVENS ABOVE JAPAN UPON A 7 TAILED FOX, AND WITH HIS RUGGED TANTO BLADE HE CUT A PACHINKO MACHINE OUT OF AN ANCIENT BOULDER THAT WAS THOUGHT TO BE UNBREAKABLE. Also the Talkhaus is just as bad with their putting terrible fanfiction in every game.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Midair springboard jump: raocow revealed to be a real time TAS bot.

Punctuated Time has an amazing gimmick, and it uses it pretty well too! Some of the idea's were really well executed and interesting, like the water, air, autoscroll and most of the homing bullet parts. I feel like there could've been more though. It's not like the level feels empty, not by a long shot, but the gimmick begs to do more. The thomps, regular bullets and spinies really didn't cooperate with the gimmick much, other than sort of putting a thomp in a place, otherwise just making them irrelevant. It's probably really hard to make the gimmick work with sprites though, so I'm not complaining. I just think it's too bad we couldn't have, for example, charlies or lava lotusses. I think other sprites could be much more involved with the gimmick.

Still, great job on this one, probably the best gimmick level we've seen so far!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Second Mario Thing: not as good as smwcp2

Post by KobaBeach »

ZA WARUDO!
TOKI YO TOMARE!!
[/size](if the chest item placement was ever finished, this level's should have been a stone mask, screw ur 2hu references)
Kil wrote:The opposite of this would be the pachinko level from VIP4, which was created WHEN THE ANCIENT DEITY IZUNA GONGEN HIMSELF PARTED THE HEAVENS ABOVE JAPAN UPON A 7 TAILED FOX, AND WITH HIS RUGGED TANTO BLADE HE CUT A PACHINKO MACHINE OUT OF AN ANCIENT BOULDER THAT WAS THOUGHT TO BE UNBREAKABLE.
best post 2014
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

re: Item babysitting no longer being a thing
Are those dumb nonsensical homing bullets also no longer a thing? Because they're dumb and make no sense and really should quit being a thing.

Great level aside from those being all over the place, though. I'm kinda curious about the ASM behind the gimmick and why it has those weird sprite-related glitches.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

So if you tried to stop time while swimming in the water, what happens? Instant death?
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

Voltgloss wrote:So if you tried to stop time while swimming in the water, what happens? Instant death?
I'm quite sure raocow tried and then it made the didn't work sound.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Money

Post by Money »

>video title isn't "za warud-oh"
geez raocow, get it together
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:re: Item babysitting no longer being a thing
Are those dumb nonsensical homing bullets also no longer a thing? Because they're dumb and make no sense and really should quit being a thing.
I love homing bullets. One of the few, maybe even only, enemies that provide a legitimate challenge in the Mario games.
leod
Be careful when including any personal details.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by leod »

Level could've been cool, but the bullets ruined it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Thwomps are the default enemy, but some of the inserted enemies were a bad idea from the start. I'm not sure if anyone ever spoke out against homing bullets, Those enemies were the standard in SMW hacking.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Big demo discrimination like it was no thing although I can't be mad at this level because just look at that asm.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

That was super cool. Rough around the edges, but cool.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It's a bit amusing that a bunch of things reset when you restart time. The thwomps set their current position as the new default position. In some other games the thwomp enemies keep retracting until they hit a wall, but I guess in SMW they don't?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

ano0maly wrote:It's a bit amusing that a bunch of things reset when you restart time. The thwomps set their current position as the new default position. In some other games the thwomp enemies keep retracting until they hit a wall, but I guess in SMW they don't?
In SMW thwomps try to retract until they are in their original position. I can't speak for horizontal thwomps but vertical ones actually have an issue where if they drop too far their default position will be reset to the lower subscreen.

In this case it looks like either maverick thwomps have the same issue but horizontally or, judging by the bullet generators, they have some slight conflict with the gimmick's asm.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

The Doctor wrote:
I love homing bullets. One of the few, maybe even only, enemies that provide a legitimate challenge in the Mario games.
Their sudden erratic movements are annoying to deal with, and not in the fun way either. There's an actual Homing Bill with movements that are more natural and provide a reasonable challenge to put up against.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Second Mario Thing: better than sex ?

Post by Mabel »

KobaBeach wrote: Like that one with vampire Sideshow Bob and vampire Fry fighting over gothloli Bart while he sings In The End by Linkin Park
OH GOD THAT PIC
I CANT EVBEN
Image Image
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Great level aside from those being all over the place, though. I'm kinda curious about the ASM behind the gimmick and why it has those weird sprite-related glitches.
Homing Bullets are in actual Mario games you know. New Super Mario Bros Wii 9-3 and the 3D games more precisely (in the 3D ones, all Bullet Bills and Torpedo Teds are homing, at least prior to 3D Land).

As for the ones with the weird movements you see in a lot of hacks, I'm pretty sure they're from Brutal Mario. No idea how they became so common, perhaps someone like carol released them about 10-15 years ago or something and a bunch of people just chucked 'em in random levels.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

MrDeePay wrote:There's an actual Homing Bill with movements that are more natural and provide a reasonable challenge to put up against.
I would ask "why does nobody ever actually use that" but this is like four years old.
Tell us, DeePay-senpai.
Do people actually use it?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
worldpeace125

Post by worldpeace125 »

OMG the gimmick of today's level was really neat! Definitely the coolest thing among what I've seen in recent days. Specifically, I liked stopping the screen-scrolling progress and rearranging objects to make it possible to pass through the obstacles. It's not hard to imagine decent flash games like this would exist. The level would be excellent if some excessive obstacles were fine-tuned.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow. Today's gimmick was... honestly really cool. Interesting enough that one could base an entire hack/game around it, even. Kind of a shame it wasn't implemented all that well, though. There were only a few places that it felt like the gimmick was really all that necessary for (the pipe at the start, the springboards, and a couple bullet jumps). Otherwise, it just felt like a pretty standard stage that... had a really neat extra gimmick, like raocow implied.

Also, homing bullets: Threat or Menace?
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:I'm kinda curious about the ASM behind the gimmick
There's a custom sprite actually level asm code changing the the on/off status when you press the R button and everything (animations, block behaviour, custom sprite behaviour) depends on the on/off status. So the spike top is a custom sprite, etc. (a super-efficient way of freezing the sprites).
dont wanna jihad no more
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Both levels today were really neat graphically. Treasures were great too.
Goofy Grotto is one of the level names that kinda stands out from the level list for some reason. Good to see that it was rather special.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

someone please draw the second treasure of today's levels wearing the first treasure of today's levels for raocow
Patgangster

Post by Patgangster »

...Done with the main map? How about that level he walked over at about 0:08 in the third video?

definitely not biased because that's my level or anything.