(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: A Second Mario Thing: earlygame time!

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

You know what, today's levels were pretty neat! We should start focusing on the good stuff more, it'll stop you from being a negative nancy!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Videos like today are the videos I love to watch. The levels are super well made and enjoyable for raocow, and so he can relay that on to the viewers via his super happy and wacky commentary. As opposed to "oh hey I made it one screen farther wait I died GAAA"
Levels like today also make me really respect the designers for their creativity.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Oh no, it's Kyubey!

Which probably means this was a later level.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Money

Post by Money »

I kinda wanna know what coobie said.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

yogui wrote:that first level suk!!!
For one of the next level, Punctuated time, unless it was fixed the level is glitched and is unbeatable. Put a savestate before or reset the game if you enter it.
this level is beatable, but there is almost no way to know that you can use R to stop time unless you try every button
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

It is beatable? In the last version I've played, the custom block didn't worked. Good to know.
But wasn't there a messagebox at the start telling you to use R to do the level's gimmick? Or was the message not inserted maybe?

I guess I should download the latest version of the game so I don't end up telling lies again.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

So three-level videos with really nice levels can exist. Also nice original music in the jelly factory (what was the chest supposed to contain?).
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Grounder wrote:Oh no, it's Kyubey!

Which probably means this was a later level.
I think it was being worked on for quite a while after it was submitted. It's definitely after the submit-then-leave-forever era.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

somebody draw demo as a meguca
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Leet wrote:somebody draw demo as a meguca
You mean mario as meguca?
Also do you seriously mean meguca, or do you mean madoka? Basically, I can't tell if you're asking for an anime skin or a seriously derp anime skin. lol
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

^^^

Also wow Yogui and Paralars had really good levels today. I think Yogui's level music is my favorite level music. Oh but the music in that one purple level was really nice too...

CHOICES.

Also, we must get a hold of Paralars so he can tell us what the message box and treasure box would have said and contained. THIS I MUST KNOW.

Also rao Paralars' level music was pretty loud and overcame your voice a bit, something to consider for future editing with similarly loud songs?
Frozelar wrote:Videos like today are the videos I love to watch. The levels are super well made and enjoyable for raocow, and so he can relay that on to the viewers via his super happy and wacky commentary. As opposed to "oh hey I made it one screen farther wait I died GAAA"
Levels like today also make me really respect the designers for their creativity.
^^^ Today's video was REALLY good.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Saturn Moriya wrote:And I'm gonna keep saying it, there's still ALOT of good levels in there too!
The overall quality of the bad (and even some meh ones) levels overwhelm the overall quality of the good (and some merely OK) ones. I'm not exaggerating.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Saturn Moriya wrote:People love being negative about stuff, huh. I mean, when the video of the day has blatantly terrible and annoying levels, everyone and their mother comes here and bashes it, along with some statements that fail to be witty about how everything ever sucks. And when there's good levels, there's a couple of peeps going "today was pretty neat!", but overall the focus of course is on everything that's bad. Can't really complain about human nature, but still. I have no statement to end this tirade.
You know, you're right. I, for instance, only seem to pop up to complain when I *don't* like stages, as opposed to compliment when I *do* like them... I gotta stop doing that.

The levels yesterday and today were honestly all pretty good, though I especially enjoyed Flooded Village and The Happy Lake. Both had great aesthetics, neither had any particularly unfair moments, and both just generally looked very competently made.

Hmm. Having said that, I guess the reason I (and presumably others) seem to post only when something happens that we don't like, is that it's easier to describe in detail what went wrong with a bad level, rather than what about a good level you really *liked*. The two levels I half-assed described above had no real flaws, but also no *one thing* about them that I particularly liked; it was the whole package that made the levels enjoyable. Meanwhile, it's generally much easier to pinpoint exactly where a stage went *wrong*: a badly-used gimmick, a particularly unfair jump, a time-waster of a puzzle, something like that.
Last edited by YelseyKing 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
umlaut
none gender with left dude
First name: smith
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by umlaut »

how do design meguca
super sketchy and probably bad design
PEER RECOGNITION? PEER APPROVAL?
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

yogui wrote:It is beatable? In the last version I've played, the custom block didn't worked. Good to know.
But wasn't there a messagebox at the start telling you to use R to do the level's gimmick? Or was the message not inserted maybe?

I guess I should download the latest version of the game so I don't end up telling lies again.

There is a message block, but it comes out empty.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

!!!!!!!!!

no umlaut that's fantastic
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Re: A Second Mario Thing: chock full of ok levels

Post by limepie20 »

S.N.N. wrote:Wait, what happened to Wyatt's switch palace track? That was like, the only thing in this hack I was looking forward to and instead I got a horribly offkey version of the title music.
Oh, was it actually finished? IIRC it wasn't, but maybe I am wrong and/or bad memory.
Basically, it wasn't finished while the switch palace levels were being made, so we told the creators to put whatever random test track they felt like, and we would add in the correct music later. We clearly never got far enough to finalize switch palaces, and consequently the music was never added. I forget what the song was, but I remember liking it, so yeah it's unfortunate we won't hear it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh also here's the title screen with a really cool awesome file select Diortem made.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2860&p=167514
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

It's probably better that the switch palaces have their original musics as it's much more likely to go with them, although the switch palaces need an update due to the timer issue anyways.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

alex2 wrote:it's a lot easier to talk shit about something than it is to sing praises
It's certainly easier to do so in a detailed manner. I think firstly that people can agree a lot more readily on what's bad than they can on what's good, and secondly that people find it a lot easier to express why they didn't like something than why they liked something. If you take raocow's videos as an example, when he plays a bad level, he gives many reasons as to why it's bad. When he plays a good level, he usually just says "that was really good, like wow" without reasons. He's not alone in this.
Bwarch wrote:Today's video was REALLY good.
Menshay wrote:So three-level videos with really nice levels can exist.
MonkeyShrapnel wrote:You know what, today's levels were pretty neat!
Memnarch wrote:Today was pretty enjoyable with fairly decent levels.
These posts are just essentially likes/upvotes/whatever you want to call them on a forum system that doesn't have them. So if you're the kind of person that posts infrequently and only when they want to say something important, as quite a few people seem to do, you're never going to make an empty post like that. I think that's why you see more posts about bad levels than you see about good ones.

In short, level designers should just take the view that if no-one says anything about their level, it's at least decent.
Menshay

Re: A Second Mario Thing: chock full of ok levels

Post by Menshay »

limepie20 wrote:I forget what the song was, but I remember liking it, so yeah it's unfortunate we won't hear it.
Challenge Chiptune? It will be in A2MBXT like today's factory music.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I wonder how many other folks have started watching the show because of that little cameo?
Almost done with episode 4. Dangit, I had other plans for this evening...
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Money

Post by Money »

Rockythechao wrote:I wonder how many other folks have started watching the show because of that little cameo?
Oh boy, you're in for one hell of a ride.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Rockythechao wrote:I wonder how many other folks have started watching the show because of that little cameo?
Not me. But then I actually rewatched it like a week or two ago because I found out there was a movie so that would be kinda redundant.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Madoka is pretty great, so the more people know about it the merrier, I say :D