(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MrDeePay

Re: A Second Mario Thing: endgame time!

Post by MrDeePay »

Mabel wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:I know some people like danmaku levels, but many don't, and are very vocal in that dislike. I'm not saying don't make danmaku levels necessarily, I'm saying that it seems to me like a bad idea to end your game on something divisive, since the end tends to be what people remember. The same thing happened in MAGLX when the 2nd place was divisive and that was for a gimmick that was as completely removed from danmaku as it's possible to get. Even just thinking of this thread: do you want it to end with a shitfight over danmaku's validity as a platform gimmick?
Level designers are not and should not conform to some vocal minority.
Depends on what the "vocal minority" is talking about. A "majority party" can be just as foolish at times, too.
never do this 2hu fanon is shit as hell.
Also depends.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

alex2 wrote: nah she's just gonna shoot bullets
I hope you know her spell cards

Actually if you use the fighting game version that would be pretty cool
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

YelseyKing wrote:Besides, like every other aspect of gaming, it's a tool, and can be used well, or it can be used badly. And those who dislike danmaku, such as myself, have probably only personally seen it used badly.
So you're saying that those who dislike it are biased because they've only seen it used badly, but you're also saying that you dislike it and have only seen it used badly?
Weird. Honest, but weird.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

AUS wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Besides, like every other aspect of gaming, it's a tool, and can be used well, or it can be used badly. And those who dislike danmaku, such as myself, have probably only personally seen it used badly.
So you're saying that those who dislike it are biased because they've only seen it used badly, but you're also saying that you dislike it and have only seen it used badly?
Weird. Honest, but weird.
Well, yeah. I mean, if you've only ever seen something used badly, like I have, it's... pretty easy to dislike it. That is to say, yes, I'm also biased; I've only ever *personally* seen danmaku used badly, which is what led me to dislike it. I can assume it works better in shooters (which is a genre I'm woefully unfamiliar with), but it... doesn't seem to work all that well in any platformers I've played or watched LPs of. I suppose it still *could*, if it utilized hitboxes the same way danmaku shooters do (with only the center pixel being the target), but the ones I've seen... don't.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

what people need to do is just have less bullets. you may be asking, is it still danmaku?? the answer is yes, proportionately.

mario's hitbox is big, so you dont need as many bullets to give it a danmaku 'feel'. the size of the hitbox should equate negatively proportionately to the density of the bullets. then you can still play danmaku with a big hitbox in a platformer without it being quite as unfair.

thing is people go for more impressive-looking than actually fun to play, so they use tiny-hitbox amounts of bullets in a medium-hitbox setting.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

alex2 wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Is this Septentrion's only level in this hack? Because I distinctly remembering him saying many times after both his ASMBXT levels and his MAGL2 level that everything was ok because he'd made a good level for A2MT. Well, that level was shit, and shows no improvement over his MAGL2 level, which itself only improved on his ASMBXT levels by being playable and not making some people physically ill.
he thinks all of his levels are good for some reason

he has like four levels
I didn't said they were good. I have a level that I think was ruined more by insane difficulty. The thing is that all of this happened so long ago.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Doctor Shemp wrote: I don't think they are the minority.
It only feels that way because they are vocal alot, but its usually the same people...
that said, cant blame em for being skeptical about danmaku in a friggin mario clone game. Its not an inherently bad idea, just one thats very hard to execute properly
MrDeePay wrote: Depends on what the "vocal minority" is talking about. A "majority party" can be just as foolish at times, too.

Also depends.
this is true.
Image Image
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Mabel wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: I don't think they are the minority.
It only feels that way because they are vocal alot, but its usually the same people...
It's always the same people on the talkhaus who say they don't like danmaku, but it's also always a different group of the same people who say they do. This is a small community, so every time you ask the same question of course the same people will give the same answers. The YouTube comments on raocow's videos are a more diverse reference pool.
Menshay

Post by Menshay »

Wait, what about the actual switch palaces? (Unless they're just single rooms after the variable first part.)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow should have chosen one and then used a code on the main rom to add the switch blocks pushed :[
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

Even though the old geezers here probably had an aneurysm from deja vu I really liked it. Though perhaps there was a bit too many floating squares.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Leet wrote:[words]
that..makes a helluva lotta sense.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Sebby19

Re: A Second Mario Thing: earlygame time!

Post by Sebby19 »

Deja vu seems like a good place to collect lives.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

For all I care, the final boss could be a big ass (Named alex2) that flies in and shits a bulletstorm. It would be better than the nothing that was originally planned to end this series and would be very symbolic and deep.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Somebody's grumpy today. :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Fireyblaze wrote:
For all I care, the final boss could be a big ass (Named alex2) that flies in and shits a bulletstorm. It would be better than the nothing that was originally planned to end this series and would be very symbolic and deep.
This guy knows what's up

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:1. A "platforms that disappear & reappear in time to the beat" level that Nintendo puts in all their new Mario games
Is it any better than my old attempt at a music-syncing level (potato quality recording)? As much as I hate the SMBX editor, being able to set event times down to the tenth of a second was a blessing for a syncing gimmick.
Here's Frozelar playing the level if you're curious, and don't mind being spoiled.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Fireyblaze wrote:
This guy knows what's up
Yeah for sure, like that's the core of it is that what Alex is doing is finishing the final boss when there would otherwise be no final boss. And in that situation it's like, go nuts, do whatever.

Also Flooded Village was REALLY cool, very focused and just all around a really neat level. Graphically it's really quite impressive, and it's just a very fun not too difficult at all romp.

Lovely~
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

People love being negative about stuff, huh. I mean, when the video of the day has blatantly terrible and annoying levels, everyone and their mother comes here and bashes it, along with some statements that fail to be witty about how everything ever sucks. And when there's good levels, there's a couple of peeps going "today was pretty neat!", but overall the focus of course is on everything that's bad. Can't really complain about human nature, but still. I have no statement to end this tirade.

A big downfall seems to be the endgame levels. They were meant to be super crazy hard, without much care for the properness of the hard. Higher difficulty is always harder to do well, and it shows. And it's not just because the easy levels aren't fustrating, they're actually put together well. This might also be the case because designers without experience are more interested in making something hard, or don't really know how to make something easy. Which is funny, because when you actually try, simply making some romps is much easier to do. Everything could've been made proper with ALOT of testing and of course rejection on some of the really dumb ones, but in the end I think there should've simply been more want for easy and medium difficulty level.

And I'm gonna keep saying it, there's still ALOT of good levels in there too!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

All the levels today were good.

The happy lake had a beautiful tileset and a lot of cute cat fish everywhere. The challenges were fair and the path trough it had some neat variety in both direction and obstacles.
P-Switch Beach went by kinda quickly. The gimmick and the graphics were well used and that mustache treasure was funny.
The Gelatin Factory had a lot of great little details, like that red koopa on the background and the employee of the month sign. The environment this level was set in felt well thought out and unique.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

that first level suk!!!

So hum for that level I just wanted to make a simple happy level. Considering A2MT will have a lot of though levels later on, I think it needed more nice levels so I made one. That dripping water are base graphics made for A2MT and I wanted to make a level around them, and I've found that they fit very well with the ground graphics having a dry form and a water form.
The music is Custom - Frolic by Muimoji. The graphics are from the same game of the graphics I used in my MAGLX entry! It's from Densetsu no Stafy 2.

P-switch beach was nice. Gelatin factory was very good.

I though the level had a secret exit based on the overworld but it had none. For one of the next level, Punctuated time, unless it was fixed the level is glitched and is unbeatable. Put a savestate before or reset the game if you enter it.
Last edited by yogui 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

Where is the contract bunny from? I think I've seen it before as a meme or something.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Bryux wrote:Where is the contract bunny from? I think I've seen it before as a meme or something.
It's more like a cat.
It's Kyubey from the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Today was pretty enjoyable with fairly decent levels.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

What's up with that silver door in P-Switch Beach?