(shouting)

A Second Mario Thing: free alex

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: A Second Mario Thing: chock full of ok levels

Post by AUS »

I like the super rude power-up filter at the RUN part.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Jeez. even in its broken state, Mad Science Laboratory was by far the most interesting level of this LP.

(I wish the conveyor blocks were more visible though)
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

raocow wrote:Remember that you need to spinjump on the prone thwomp at the end of the corridor there.
Well, here's what I was thinking.

1. Eat mushroom and then fall down the hole and spinjump on the thwomp as you fall to not get hit. Let him go to the right.
2. Move to the right to get the thwomp to respawn and then inch back to the left just enough for him to start chasing you.
3. Run to the right and tank a hit as he goes through you. Keep running.

That should give you a couple of more seconds. Maybe it's enough.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:Jeez. even in its broken state, Mad Science Laboratory was by far the most interesting level of this LP.
How? edit: I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm legit just asking for you to explain what you mean. I'm interested.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Spanosa

Post by Spanosa »

Mad Science Laboratory looks like it could have been a cool level (reserve full judgement until we see the level actually working). The gimmick in the second half has been done before, but I still like zooming around on conveyer belts. I have a gripe with how hard it is to see the moving platforms, but once you get used to knowing what to look for it wasn't that bad.

The first half however really bothered me though. You can "lose", and then spend another minute playing the level until it tells you you actually get to lose.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Spanosa wrote:The first half however really bothered me though. You can "lose", and then spend another minute playing the level until it tells you you actually get to lose.
I'd imagine that this could be fixed by just making the entire first section a bottomless pit, which seems like a simple enough fix I think. The only unfortunate bit would be having to replace all the enemies with flying variants, which would not be so simple but perhaps offer a better challenge than jumping koopas.

Unless that will clash with the exit at the end of the shmup section somehow.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

The way the conveyor belts function isn't really good. On top of them moving at a speed to mess up the timing of your jumps, the edge blocks are normal, so you "jerk" when you reach them, making you very prone to running off when you need to jump. OK concept, terrible execution.

Oh, and pointless power-up filters, too.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

MrDeePay wrote:Oh, and pointless power-up filters, too.
How can you know it's pointless if we didn't get to see the full level beyond that powerup filter yet?
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

True. If that is the case here that DeePay played the level already then very well.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Given the Gutsdozer fiasco in ASMT, I'd guess that the reason for the seemingly powerup filter is the same here as why we needed to implement one there: to make sure the boost blocks propel Mario fast enough to outrun the Thwomp. Of course, that doesn't really help when something else breaks along the way :V
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Can't say I liked that level in the slightest. The first half was okay, aside from losing the ability to shoot when you get hit, but the second half was horrible (glitchy coding, bad background palette, weak design overall).
truthordeal

Post by truthordeal »

Bwarch wrote:
truthordeal wrote:Man, I'd have to look pretty hard to find a community that's as repulsive to new or returning users as this place has been in the past couple of pages. You'd think a community project celebration would be the thing to bring people back in the fold, but people are still angry that they were dumped at the Rom Prom a couple years ago and choose to only see the worst in each other. I mean damn, man.
Why are you posting here you don't even post here often?
I enjoy reading some of the insight on here as opposed to the dreck in the Youtube comments, but hate seeing the high school level drama and sniping flood the thread.
I don't doubt that a few of our worser users said this, but where is this statement? I've ctrl+f'd it for a ton of pages in this thread and I can't find it.
Nah, no one said that; I was just being rhetorical and trying to head off anything about my opinion not mattering because I mainly lurk.

But I'm done now. Next time I post here will be actually on topic to the game.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Yep, first draft explains it pretty well. As in not a single obstacle feels correct.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And so, as the days grow longer the videos get shorter.

Today; Iris clones with large dresses, black Yoshis for Munchers, and conveyor belts that go too fast for the SMW engine.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Who's idea was it to replace obesity Iris with the flower pots?!
This could've been more hilarious!!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Unaniem wrote:Who's idea was it to replace obesity Iris with the flower pots?!
This could've been more hilarious!!
I think A2MT was sort of anti-charlie so they made it as uncharlie as possible. There is still the problem that charlie gameplay isn't that fun but the level designers just kept using him.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

truthordeal wrote: Nah, no one said that; I was just being rhetorical and trying to head off anything about my opinion not mattering because I mainly lurk.

But I'm done now. Next time I post here will be actually on topic to the game.
So nobody said that you just wrote up a text wall predicting that it would be said to you? Dude.
S.N.N. wrote:Can't say I liked that level in the slightest. The first half was okay, aside from losing the ability to shoot when you get hit, but the second half was horrible (glitchy coding, bad background palette, weak design overall).
I agree with SNN here unfortunately, unfortunately because I was rooting for this particular level. There's just too many things wrong with the level to make it all that enjoyable, I don't even know how the thwomps were supposed to be fun to interact with.

I think Jvyrn might have the problem that some musicians have wherein there's something that is technically interesting to the creator, but not interesting to the audience in the least. It's technically interesting to make SMW into a shmup and to make Mario go super fast and have super fast thwomps, but from a player standpoint these aren't fun at all because of their execution.

In the shmup section I found a bullet bill section quite useless considering you can just stay in one spot and spin. Cape is too OP to make the bullet bills interesting.

The thwomps were just too fast, and the obstacles were pretty lame, especially in the first hallway with bumping your head on the ceiling four times with nothing else going on.
Spanosa

Post by Spanosa »

I take back everything I said about conveyer belts in this level. Constant glitchy deaths as a result of the belts is extremely obnoxious. In addition, the corners of conveyer platforms not being conveyers really appears to screw with jumping, as was evident in the escape from the thwomp portion.

The background felt too busy. If it didn't move around or feel so cramped, it would have been a lot better.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Perhaps all the conveyor belts were not glitchy in the newer version, but broken thwomp got in the way.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

according to someone in the comments, in the inserted version, the thwomp is affected by the carpet, making him go faster ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Man, I just want to get back to the fun levels.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote:Man, I just want to get back to the fun levels.
they don't exist

sorry
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

theyre in A2XT.
Image Image
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

raocow wrote:according to someone in the comments, in the inserted version, the thwomp is affected by the carpet, making him go faster ?
Last time I checked, horizontal Thwomps cannot interact with tiles above or below them unless you edit their code to do so.

Mabel wrote:
theyre in A2XT.
Likely countered by a ton of levels that are just as mediocre.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

MrDeePay wrote:
Mabel wrote:
theyre in A2XT.
Likely countered by a ton of levels that are just as mediocre.
I wouldn't say mediocre levels counter good levels. Bad levels, sure, but not mediocre ones, unless you're just using mediocre as a polite term for bad. Having played all of A2XT's levels in one form or another, out of 110 or so proper levels, I thought 31 of them were very good and 13 were bad to very bad, with the rest being average. Of those 13, 9 have been fixed to a greater or lesser degree (usually greater). A2XT isn't free of bad levels but I would be prepared to say it has less of them than ASMBXT, ASMT, or what I assume the rest of A2MT to be based on what I've seen so far. Considered individually, I'd also say that when A2XT does go bad it doesn't go anywhere near as bad as ASMBXT (which went completely shithouse in parts).