(shouting)

Megaman Unlimited: Bridging and Ending is my Forte!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Megaman Unlimited: Bridging and Ending is my Forte!

Post by jayScribble »

Yeah, so this is a game. I feel like this is a mix of Megaman and the X series into one.

So far, I've already seen RoahmMythril's Blind LP of this game, but I would want to see raocow's reactions to this game.

The main problems this game have is the length of the stages and checkpoint problems.

Videos:
1 - go hustle!
2 - a woman rabbi
3 - ye court toy
4 - lime jest, si
5 - Triton's lab
6 - alaskan rent
7 - sac method
8 - talk resolutely
9 - ajust a hellish dinner
10 - to cut kayak
11 - sup, cobra
12 - lamia's barricade
13 - another spike
14a - ash finch dip
14b - FINAL - need...thing...
Last edited by jayScribble 9 years ago, edited 13 times in total.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
SpoonyBardOL

Re: Megaman Unlimited: A Sticky Situation!

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Oh sweet, I was hoping raocow would play this one eventually. I followed this project for years before it finally came out, and I really dig it despite its flaws.

Length of stages is totally a thing though, raocow, you weren't just imagining it when you thought Glue Man's stage went on for too long. They're all longer than your average Mega Man stage, but despite that it sticks to the same number of checkpoints than an average Mega Man stage. That, combined with the game's love of instant death hazards, made the game frustrating for a lot of folks.

Easy mode, I think, added an extra checkpoint to every stage, or at least most stages, and made instant death hazards less evil, but it also toned down other stuff and made the game a bit TOO easy. I really wish there was a third difficulty option that kept some of the 'quality of life' changes Easy Mode offered but still kept the same difficulty of everything else.

That's all a shame, since there's a LOT to like about this fangame, and it's easy to tell it was made by someone with a lot of love for the series. There's some excellent creativity on display and some really clever and challenging stages and really memorable enemies. It's just plain good, even if the length and difficulty issues would prevent most people from considering it 'great'.

The story is kind of 'fanficcy' but fanficcy in a different way than Rock Force was. MMU does a better job of keeping the proper tone of the Classic Mega Man series and doesn't really have any hilarious melodrama, though the story still has a few bits that make it obviously fangamey.

Oh, and it's a long ways off, but the game's penultimate stage will be a thing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Man now I have to finish this game myself very quick
The main problems this game have is the lengths of the stages and checkpoint problems.
I think the length of the levels is pretty much perfect actually. There's still 2 stages I have yet to try but so far it's really not that bad, even the "hardest" stages like
rainbow man
are very short to compensate.

Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Oh wow, Megaman Unlimited! The robot master designs are terrible (with the exception of Comet Woman) and the cutscene art is even worse, but aside from that, this is pretty much THE best Megaman fangame to date (I hold Rokko Chan with nearly the same regard, but MMU simply has way more meat to it). I don't think you'll be disappointed in it at all.

Unfortunately, it looks like the difficulty has been toned down since I played this last summer. Glueman used to move a LOT faster and I lost several lives to him even with his weakness weapon. Too bad you don't get to play the game on its real, intended difficulty. :\

Tanks do persist through saves, so try to collect as many as you can. This is one of those games where you'll probably need them (depending on how the difficulty has been adjusted, but the final stage is almost surely still a thing, so I'm saying yes).

Finally, that alternate route in Glueman's stage:
Unless it was changed, it's nothing but a shortcut.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

I know mostly nothing about this hack, but I am amused that Rush can stand safely on the spikes.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

This stage is a pretty good example of how the people who made this game just don't understand how to make a good level. Far too long, instant death everywhere, A boss where the gimmick is that you can't hit him a good 50% of the time, a complete distaste for checkpoints.

Honestly, at first I thought this game was made by people who HATED Megaman.

Actually, thinking about it, they probably do.
Rainbowman: An idea for a stage built around instant death should be aborted from your synapses the second it forms
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why is a glue robot fighting like one that uses oil? :|
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Heavy Sigh wrote:
Rainbowman: An idea for a stage built around instant death should be aborted from your synapses the second it forms
Like Quickman's stage?
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Voltgloss wrote:
Heavy Sigh wrote:
Like Quickman's stage?
Yes. Yes and Yes.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

i loooove quickman's stage though
OrangeChickenPasta

Post by OrangeChickenPasta »

Grounder wrote:Why is a glue robot fighting like one that uses oil? :|
Glue Man used to be a normal maintenance robot similar to Oil Man. However, Dr. Wily got creative and modified him to use special glue as a weapon. The glue he sprays around dries up and becomes solid almost instantly and will stop anyone caught in the blast. His favorite tactic is to immobilize his enemies and then ram them while they can't move. In the ending, he leaves Wily and becomes a peace-keeping robot, using his glue for helpful purposes.
"Come on! Stick around and play!"
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Glue Man is likely the worst stage in the game. So the worst is behind us!

This is going to be a good LP. Especially once he nabs Yo-Yo Man's weapon.
Last edited by Isrieri 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Well, this is a surprise! I was hoping raocow would LP this game at some point. A friend of mine did a review of it on his site, and made it out to be super-hard, so I wanted to see it in action before I attempted to take it on myself. So far, it looks tough, but no moreso than Megaman III or IV (GB) were. Shudder.

Glad raocow is doing this as a B-Side. Or is this the A-Side? (Either way, I won't be watching Copy Kitty because reasons, so at least he's doing *something* that interests me. :P)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Phoba
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Phoba »

i'll just reiterate what everyone else has said.
This game is pretty great, but it has a bunch of issues. Like the instant death traps that are everywhere and just one literal midpoint in the middle of the level. But because of this difficulty, I actually like this game.
Before the Wily Stages, I compared this game to Megaman 2 and then the 1st fortress boss kinda happened.
It's certainly challenging and that makes it very memorable (in the good and bad way).
(a)smbx(t) stuff i'll probably not continue???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3QzmureUo
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Heavy Sigh wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:
Heavy Sigh wrote:
Like Quickman's stage?
Yes. Yes and Yes.
Come on dude rainbowman's stage is like 10 screens long. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, yeah you pretty much have to die a few times but it's SUPER short so it's not a big deal.

skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

More MegaMan? Great! MegaMan Unlimited is a game I've heard a lot about, but for whatever reason I've never really looked into it that much. Looks pretty good though! I'll admit Glue Man's stage was a little lacklustre, but I liked the things that fire MegaMan's shots back at him.
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

Heavy Sigh wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:
Heavy Sigh wrote:
Like Quickman's stage?
Yes. Yes and Yes.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Rainbow Man's stage was the first one I beat and I personally find it the easiest stage of them all.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Come on dude rainbowman's stage is like 10 screens long. This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, yeah you pretty much have to die a few times but it's SUPER short so it's not a big deal.
I'm unfamiliar with Rainbowman's stage, but I feel a good main series comparison to that sort of thing would be Gutsman's stage in Megaman 1. Everyone hates the rail platform section, but it's right at the start of the stage, and the stage itself is really short, so it's nowhere near as bad as it *could* have been.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

What exactly is the tiny e-tank looking thing that raocow either completely ignored or managed to miss both in the level and store?
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Alice wrote:What exactly is the tiny e-tank looking thing that raocow either completely ignored or managed to miss both in the level and store?
Those are from the latter GameBoy Mega Man games. Basically they're 1/4s of an E-Tank, collect four of them and you get a full E-Tank.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

YelseyKing wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with Rainbowman's stage, but I feel a good main series comparison to that sort of thing would be Gutsman's stage in Megaman 1. Everyone hates the rail platform section, but it's right at the start of the stage, and the stage itself is really short, so it's nowhere near as bad as it *could* have been.
Ten Screens Long? That doesn't matter when the ENTIRE challenge of the stage is a game of memorization. Don't move the instant you drop down into a new screen? Instant death, do it over again. Pick the wrong path? INSTANT DEATH! Run out of your two chances? Back to the start with you! Midboss? A Devil Fight with INSTANT DEATH! The Boss itself? HAS AN INSTANT DEATH ATTACK!

Also the level is the same length as the others, just angled downwards with a bigger side area.

Oh, and don't forget the side area for the letter that requires Glue Man's weapon and actually tries to have you do puzzles with the instant-kill lasers, so there is no room for error unless you have inhuman reflexes.

The design is just someone looking at Quickman's stage, and saying 'this was a good idea and not at all unfair rote memorization. The relative shortness is the only thing that keeps it even slightly bearable, and THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT GOOD.
Y'know, the thing that confuses me most about this game is having to buy the Energy Balancer. It's just a quality of life upgrade, why should I have to buy it?
Last edited by Heavy Sigh 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Heavy Sigh wrote:
Making something good out of a concept believed to be bad is pretty cool though! They nearly pulled it off here, too. Only a couple of areas were truly bad in the early version I played. That said... yeah, a couple areas were truly bad.

Did they really give Rainbow Man an instant-death attack in later updates though? Because that doesn't ring a bell at all. And I get hit by most things, so I know what I'm talking about.

Also the side area doesn't require Glue Man's weapon. You can get there two ways, and the other way is much easier.

Also also there's not a single place in the level where there's a "wrong path" to pick. You can survive no matter which way you go. Or at least, it was like that when I played it.

Also also also I got through basically the entire second half of the stage on my first or second try or so, iirc, so that section doesn't really demand any memorization at all. And the alternate path is so forgiving I've only ever died there once out of all the times I went through it.

But w/e
Overall: here we go~ Just like Rock Force, this has also changed a lot since the last version I downloaded. I do remember Glue Man being one of the two longest stages which were also the two worst possible starting stages though, and it doesn't look like that's changed. Taking bets on how soon he goes to the other! I say it'll be no later than video 3.
I don't really get it but okay
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So the shop is new to me. What were all the items, since I doubt Rao will be nice enough to go through them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sebby19 wrote:So the shop is new to me. What were all the items, since I doubt Rao will be nice enough to go through them.
Extra Life / E-Can [4 give you an E-Tank], E-Tank [Restores health], W-Tank [Restores weapons] /
Eddy [Random item time], Beat [MM7 pit saver], Spike Guard [Lets you touch spikes once], Energy Balancer [Find a pellet in field, it auto-fills the weapon with the least amount of energy].

I played the first version of this. Some stages are about two stages' worth of gimmicks crammed into one super-long stage. I also really didn't like the checkpoint placement in the original. Don't know if it's been fixed or not since then as this wasn't a favorite of mine. Good luck!
GauRocks

Post by GauRocks »

Glue Man's level was giving me Turbo Man vibes. And Turbo Man's level is the one robot master level in the main ten games that I actively hate. In a series that's normally fast-paced, suddenly they throw in tricky precision-based jumping with limited headroom that sends you back a lot of screens for failing. Between the two, though, I'd take Turbo Man. At least that level had the decency to leave you alive, so you could try again with no penalty. Glue Man's level dumps you back to the start after just a few deaths.

If the boss had actually killed raocow and sent him back to the start, I would not be watching the rest of this series. At least the creator had enough sense to put an easy boss at the end of that level.