(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
limepie20

Re: Let's Talk About MaGL X Baby, Let's Talk about You and M

Post by limepie20 »

This video is basically my first exposure to MaGLx, and wow I didn't realize how much work was put into it. This whole project looks really well made and awesome. Congrats to everyone. Hopefully I'll have the will to watch the whole thing.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Is the entire hub underwater? It should get nicer as we reach the top tiers.?
SAJewers wrote:It's not all swimmable, don't worry.
Isrieri wrote:If I remember right, the latter half of the game is completely comprised of 80s and 90s, so those will be doubtlessly be fun. But these low-end levels are fun to watch in their own right.
In the overall scores, only 1/5th of the levels are 80+ score actually. Perhaps you were remembering Horikawa's list rather than the overall, in which 1/2.7th of the levels were 80+ score.
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by QuietProtag »

The hype is starting to get real now. Also, I really like the HUB. Nice job! (:

Now about the levels from today's video...

Grass Way Plains and It's an SMB3 Level, Except More Stupid (134th, 133rd place):
I laugh so hard about these levels. I like levels that are not meant to be serious and just want to be in last place, haha.

Starry Ocean Pipes (132nd place):
It didn't look that hard from what Horikawa said, to be honest. It looks playable. Although the last part looked pretty bad. And there's parts in the level that could be frustrating for me.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Yay! I got Not Last Place!

I'm a bit unclear on the, uh, "winner", though. How did it not follow the name? It was called "Grassy Way Plains", and it was... a grassy plain. Unless you mean that the author came up with that name, and ignored the ones Horikawa gave him, in which case... that makes more sense.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

YelseyKing wrote:Yay! I got Not Last Place!

I'm a bit unclear on the, uh, "winner", though. How did it not follow the name? It was called "Grassy Way Plains", and it was... a grassy plain. Unless you mean that the author came up with that name, and ignored the ones Horikawa gave him, in which case... that makes more sense.
I'm willing to bet the zero points for adherence to the level name was probably due to the fact that the author guy used their own level name and didn't go with one of those selected. If you look in the main post, the Name Difficulty slot in its respective score breakdown has an N/A next to it.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Even these last-place levels are at least making for entertaining video so far. I mean that's probably not going to last long before some kaizo level somehow comes up above these mostly playable levels and kills the mood, but for now everything's pretty great.
ANGRYCOW WARNING wrote:This level is a mess. Bring in a Hammer Bros. Suit as you see fit.
Why a Hammer Bros. suit? I can see about a hundred places a Tanooki would've been helpful, but where does the Hammer Bros. suit help?
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Even these last-place levels are at least making for entertaining video so far. I mean that's probably not going to last long before some kaizo level somehow comes up above these mostly playable levels and kills the mood, but for now everything's pretty great.
How it usually goes though is that the beginning and end of a contest is really fun, but then the middle levels are like "Well, they're ALRIGHT, I GUESS." but they're not terrible or awesome so it's just a bit of a sag in the middle of the record.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Grassy Way Plain was at least short, to the point, and playable. SMB3 Level But Stupider was a funny kind of stupid. Starry Ocean Pipe was terrible.

Anyway, glad to be in Not Last Place.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

As some open advice to IceT, just because SMBX has a hell of a lot of sections to use doesn't mean you're obligated to use every single one of them. Similarly, just because you can think of a lot of gimmicks that the engine can do doesn't mean that you should use all of them in one level. Just pick one idea or two related ideas for each level and stick with them. And don't make your levels so bloody long! No speedrun of a Mario level should take over 2 minutes.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:As some open advice to IceT, just because SMBX has a hell of a lot of sections to use doesn't mean you're obligated to use every single one of them. Similarly, just because you can think of a lot of gimmicks that the engine can do doesn't mean that you should use all of them in one level. Just pick one idea or two related ideas for each level and stick with them. And don't make your levels so bloody long! No speedrun of a Mario level should take over 2 minutes.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

just wait.

15 minute long iterations after death are coming. 20-25 minutes to speedrun.

Oh they're coming.
I don't feel so good right now. Oh wait, that means I could be close to last place! HURRAY!
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
IceT

Post by IceT »

Doctor Shemp wrote:As some open advice to IceT, just because SMBX has a hell of a lot of sections to use doesn't mean you're obligated to use every single one of them. Similarly, just because you can think of a lot of gimmicks that the engine can do doesn't mean that you should use all of them in one level. Just pick one idea or two related ideas for each level and stick with them. And don't make your levels so bloody long! No speedrun of a Mario level should take over 2 minutes.
Thanks!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Here's hoping that my level won't show up until April.

First two levels were what they were. Goal accomplished. Third level, didn't seem as bad as the comment says, but that could also be because the tanooki suits were there for the taking. And raocow seemed to stumble on a few things that would have given me trouble to figure out. Like the door in the waterfall and that kind of cryptic bullshit.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

RedMageMike wrote:Here's hoping that my level won't show up until April.

First two levels were what they were. Goal accomplished. Third level, didn't seem as bad as the comment says, but that could also be because the tanooki suits were there for the taking. And raocow seemed to stumble on a few things that would have given me trouble to figure out. Like the door in the waterfall and that kind of cryptic bullshit.
raocow never stumbles his way into secrets or bugs or other weird things what are you talking about

Not bad, all things considered! Looking forward to tomorrow!
I'm probably driving right now.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

As long as my level isn't in the bowels, I am a winner. Let's be real here, there is a pretty good chance of that! haha
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Dark rooms with lights are possible? Darn, that would have improved the first half of my level. Guess I should have looked around in the editor more.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Lejes wrote:Dark rooms with lights are possible? Darn, that would have improved the first half of my level. Guess I should have looked around in the editor more.
I could be wrong, but I think it's just custom art that gives the appearance of lighting.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Gotta hand it to Mikey, although his level was short and didn't have anything to offer, he did a lot better than all those other bums who didn't enter at all. Good on him.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

just wait.

15 minute long iterations after death are coming. 20-25 minutes to speedrun.

Oh they're coming.
Oh god no.

Well, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go lie down now and prepare myself for what's to come.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Since the main HUB music is now gone from Soundcloud, I reuploaded it for people who want it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFN3C ... sp=sharing
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Gezo24

Post by Gezo24 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Thank you Duke Skukum. You are the classiest dude.

xoxo,
Spain By Chick Corea
Ahahahahahaha!
Haha. Lol. I saw that before and didnt have a clue what it was referring to.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I actually had a dream about MAGLX last night. Second last place was a A2MBXT plagiarism and also a lava level. Glad that didn't happen.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Based on the magic of combinatorics, I will make my predictions for the next score combinations. :ugeek:
Scores are given in order Horikawa/8flight/Ignoritus like in the hub

With 8.4% certainty, I believe the 4th lowest rank will have the scores 26,14,27
With 7.7% certainty, I believe the 4th lowest rank will have the scores 19,21,27
With 7.1% certainty, I believe the 4th lowest rank will have the scores 19,18,28

With 4.4% certainty, I believe the 5th lowest rank will have the scores 32,14,27
With 4.4% certainty, I believe the 5th lowest rank will have the scores 31,14,28
With 4.3% certainty, I believe the 5th lowest rank will have the scores 31,14,27

With 1.6% certainty, I believe the 6th lowest rank will have the scores 37,14,51
With 1.4% certainty, I believe the 6th lowest rank will have the scores 19,21,63
With 1.4% certainty, I believe the 6th lowest rank will have the scores 26,14,63

So what I'm basically saying is, I can't really tell much yet... :roll:
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Ugh I had another dream about getting a terrible placement last night ;_;
And the longer I stayed awake the more I kept worrying ;_;

SET SAIL FOR ADVENTURE
ON THE YACHT OF OPINIONS

Grassy Way Plains had me break out in laughter. The second one was... well, terrible, but in a kind of endearing way :v
Starry Ocean Pipes I think was exaggerated a tad. It's far from a good level and unreasonably long, for sure, but... stuff. I dunno. I'm... guessing that 'Hammer Bros Suit' is a typo and you meant 'Tanooki Suit'? Maybe? I think it's worth noting that that one sign doesn't say "maybe a horse might be useful," it says "I don't know if horses will be usefull." [sic] Meaning the exact opposite of what Horikawa took it to mean.

The huge discrepancy in the scores so far is kinda worrisome!! I have no idea what to expect with the rest of the levels at this point. I'm kinda worrying even more that my generally difficult level may have received a low score... buuuuutt I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Speaking of scores, I think you may have typoed your breakdowns in the OP, Horikawa; I'm pretty sure Creativity, Fun Factor, and Bonus are meant to be out of 20, 40, and 2 respectively, but they all say 10.
This is more nitpicky, but unless mulligans were common, I'd think they should only be in breakdowns were mulligans were used?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Axon

Post by Axon »

I'm currently watching raocow's LP of STTB2 for the first time and I just discovered that my level's central gimmick has already been done quite similarly before.

Good times.

On topic: So far it looks like the worst levels in this aren't as bad as the worst levels in previous MAGL contest. It's looking promising.