(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
S.N.N.

Re: Whose LPs are great theatre? It's raocow!

Post by S.N.N. »

That was a pretty awesome Muda remix. Is it from OCR?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Whose LPs are great theatre? It's raocow!

Post by Voltgloss »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'll tell you one thing about raocow's level and only one thing.
it's the only level of its kind in the collab
Clearly raocow figured out how to make a SMBX wind level.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Never Again, raocow's in the top ten! He's been training

Post by Jesuiscontent »

yogui's is probably my favorite. I don't remember the name !

SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

For me my favorite in World 7 is a 3 way tie between 'It's a SMB1 level except way more epic', 'Too many forts in this Mother-etc Mountain' and 'Dreamland's river of the damned'. Each of those were really great in their own unique ways.
Quill

Post by Quill »

I cannot deny that I'm incredibly happy that I reached the top 10, but I'm feeling the same as raocow and SpoonyBardOL. I thought my level was good, but not brilliant. I'm really astonished to see it has made it this far when so many previous levels were in my opinion, better than it.

It's funny, at the start of World 7 I was like "expect my level in the next few videos" :lol:

Man, I hope people like it though.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

These drinks made Mario's head spin and feeling blue, so he and co. went to the theaters to catch a break.

"A River Side Church in Space"... certainly have some twists on the platforms. The moving nature of those platforms are overwhelming at first, but learning how they behave at certain positions would make the experience easier. The second half is really lobsided in terms of difficulty due to the nature of the hammer suit. I guess Peach wasn't allowed due to her floating ability breaking the level.

"The Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe" is one big blue level has some interesting aspects of gameplay, but there is one particular place that could force a manual restart. The swimming parts are the most noticeable feature of the level in terms of gameplay, with both the floating box and disappearing layers the most memorable part of it. Overall, a blue level with great gameplay.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Money

Post by Money »

The topic title's from the Hercules TV show, whose opening is an edit of Zero to Hero from the movie of the same name.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm expecting some controversty tomorrow due to a specific editing choice I'm making.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
oobitydoo

Post by oobitydoo »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:So guys... Favourite World 7 Levels?
I forgot to say...

Congrats to our Top Ten!
In addition to your favourite World 7 levels, why not also make guesses on who won?

(or, if you're feeling really ambitious, a full-on top ten guess list)
I don't have a guess as to the winners, but I would like to draw attention to how unbalanced the top 10 are with respect to name-starting letters. The second half of the alphabet is WAY over-represented here! Clearly the secret to making good levels is having a name starting late in the alphabet. Also threatening the judges.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Hm... favorite level in World 7...

Considering how much cool stuff was in this world, it's a bit of a toss-up, but Dreamland's River of the Damned is probably my favorite. The aesthetics in play were just incredible; great graphics, awesome music (Kirby 64 music, I think,) and an overall oppressive, hellish atmosphere. I wasn't as huge a fan of some of the difficulty or the boss (it just seemed kind of there, for better or for worse,) but overall it just looks like a fantastic level with a lot of time and energy put into it.

In no particular order, I think a few other standouts were The Toads of Moria (again, for a great aesthetic, in combination with neat gameplay,) It's a Mario is Missing Level Except Way More Intense (I really liked the clock tower section despite its relative simplicity, and the humor throughout was great,) Wait, That's Not How It Happened (cool graphical choices, nice gameplay and a silly joke,) and Kagome Kagome (for being a Touhou done well.)

Even still, everything in World 7 was pretty amazing, so congrats to everyone who made a level here and extra congrats to those we've yet to see! I'm looking forward to seeing the cream of the crop. =D
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Huh, is it possible to get stuck at 13:52 if you drop the propeller block into the water and go back to where you picked it up? And again at 14:44-ish with a duck jump as Super Mario?

Also, the music in A Riverside Church in Space? It's a remix of Richter's theme. Y'know, that Belmont guy! Goes with the Castlevania graphics, I guess (though I'm starting to wish people would rip graphics off of one of the better-looking games in the series such as the GBA or DS titles instead of reusing those assets from Rondo of Blood).
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

My top of the world 7 list.
Desert Oasis Fort by YelseyKing,
Too Many Forts in this Motherfucking Mountain by Yogui and
Mountain of the Damned by Sedron.

Chosen for being extra clever and their overall great levelness.

I am not going to guess any level orders since I'm in the top ten.
If there is going to be filler videos for the shorter levels, where the discussion about them will go?

The levels today were great.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mineyl wrote:Huh, is it possible to get stuck at 13:52 if you drop the propeller block into the water and go back to where you picked it up? And again at 14:44-ish with a duck jump as Super Mario
I spotted the 13:52 one. Would be rectified with a generated propeller. 14:44 it seems you could use crouchzipping to get stuck inside the M unless it's a hidden bonus thing, but I'm not sure RTW would do that.

oobitydoo: you have a Clarus avatar! foom!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D127a-0Pnso

Second level theme for those who are curious.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Joseph's level really is, like bossedit8's stage, a stage we know except pulled off much better. And I appreciate those! I'm not sure however if I would've ranked this as high as it did, seeing how, despite the interesting gimmick being done reasonably well, the overall design of the stage was still fairly basic, and ended on a kind of a dull tone to me with how easy the (which could've been interesting) Bowser boss got made with the inclusion of the hammer powerup. (Certainly not a guarantee you'll breeze through it, but with the midpoint right there, I think the player could've done without it.)

Nonetheless, the stage was pretty okay.

"The Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe" has probably the most pleasant atmosphere ever, gosh. Everything feels so happy and playful and nice and like a fine swimming pool and the design is pretty good too and argh you did great rtw!!

I've made it clear more than enough times that I don't think my level belongs higher than world 4-5 (and if it actually made the single digit levels it would mean that I lost a bet with a friend of mine), so instead I'll just give you this guy to express my happiness of actually being in the top 10:

EDIT: Faovrite world 7 levels are A SMB1 level, except way more epic for obvious reasons, Ghost House for being so simple yet so solid, Wait, that's not how it happened! for reasons stated previously, Dreamland's River of the Damned for the same reasons everybody else has mentioned and The Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe for [see this post].

I really liked world 7.
Last edited by Unaniem 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

You don't got anything to worry about,it's all on me.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Mineyl wrote:(though I'm starting to wish people would rip graphics off of one of the better-looking games in the series such as the GBA or DS titles instead of reusing those assets from Rondo of Blood).
But Mineyl, even Konami can't stop using graphics from Rondo of Blood. Why should people taking graphics from castlevania games do otherwise?
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Horikawa Otane wrote:So I just got a PM from raocow explaining everything. He said he wanted it to be a surprise, but I had to share it because he's a monster.
raocow wrote: Hey there Horikawa, this is raocow.

So since I'm really poor at work lately, I've taken your advice and implemented a pay-gate for the top 10 videos. Basically, you'll have to pay YouTube's subscription service at the cost of 10 (Canadian) dollars per video to see the content. That way, if you're only interested in the winner, you only have to pay 10 dollars. Isn't that great?

I know it'll cause some tiny backlash, but I feel that this is the best time to incorporate this sort of editing to my Let's Play model of business.

Goodbye there Horikawa, this was racoow!
Despicable.
Seems legit.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Man, trust Uncle Roundy to find some of the best music of the contest.

So, have we figured out the entirety of who's in the Top Ten yet?
raocow wrote: Hey there Horikawa, this is raocow.

So since I'm really poor at work lately, I've taken your advice and implemented a pay-gate for the top 10 videos. Basically, you'll have to pay YouTube's subscription service at the cost of 10 (Canadian) dollars per video to see the content. That way, if you're only interested in the winner, you only have to pay 10 dollars. Isn't that great?

I know it'll cause some tiny backlash, but I feel that this is the best time to incorporate this sort of editing to my Let's Play model of business.

Goodbye there Horikawa, this was racoow!
Paysubbed
Quill

Post by Quill »

Do the top ten win anything, since raocow labels them as 'winners', or is it just 1st place? I honestly can't remember if there was a prize!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

You get a one year subscription to talkhaus premium

Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

I think level design contest winners are always given a vermilion red username as prize.
That and a good bunch of praise and backlash to go along, of course.
Last edited by Unaniem 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
MoneyMan wrote:The topic title's from the Hercules TV show, whose opening is an edit of Zero to Hero from the movie of the same name.
Didn't expect someone to get this one
I feel ignored. :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Congrats to our Top Ten!
Oh man, thanks for the links. Context is always great. This is gonna be an amazing top 10.

I absolutely loved Claymore Speedrun, so now I'm especially looking forward to Holy's level.

(Your link for Phoba555 isn't a level he made, I think, it's a level made for him for some reason in that SMWC event.)
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Man, really hard to pick favourites here. Everything was pretty top-notch.

Toads of Moria and The Mushroom Kingdom's Bluest Pipe stuck with me the most. It's a Mario is Missing level, Except Way More Intense was great too, but it might just because I'm one of the few people who played Mario is Missing a lot...

Honourable mention to Dreamland's River of the Damned because although it had a few length issues, I think it did a lot of things right and it was the best level aesthetically to this point imo