(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MrDeePay

Re: He Doesn't Make Anyone Mad, but MaGL X Isn't Over!

Post by MrDeePay »

YelseyKing wrote:Yeah, I know YouTube comments are usually reserved for the absolute dregs of the internet, but I actually, in general, notice more positive comments than not on raocow's videos.
Because the YouTube portion of the fanbase, in general, shape their opinions around how raocow reacts, performs, and says about everything. (Exceptions being when it's so bloody obvious that he's wrong or doing something wrong that even a blind man can see it.)
There just seemed to be a much larger concentration of extremely petty haters in the comments when raocow was LPing Apocalypse of Foroze. Maybe it was just bad luck, maybe there's another side to the whole thing I missed, but it was painful to watch all those idiots dump on Quill for *every freaking thing*.
If I had to guess, it would be that people were still riding the hype after ASMBXT and damn near nothing was going to knock them off of it. I'd say don't worry too much about it because the YouTube base is stupid as who knows what, but they're still capable of giving anyone a recurring headache.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Yay, another Link level with 8-bit graphics and another level full of Yoshi's Island.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Yay, another Link level with 8-bit graphics and another level full of Yoshi's Island.
I sure had more of my fill of retro link levels. I notice Brainstar was a recurring name in the handouts and I don't think enough people liked or care for metriod. Copying other games will always seem like a amateur thing to do, no matter how well done. One could make a super new thing with YI graphics, but that's something different in my book.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
AlchemistHohenheim wrote:Yoshi's Island Ocean Cloud was pretty creative considering the wacky name. Shame about the pipes not working, and the abrupt end.
The pipes did work. They were exit pipes for content raocow missed.
Oh, they were? I guess I misinterpreted part of the "developer's commentary" then, since it sounded to me like he was saying something broke.

On the subject of The Apocalypse of Foroze, sadly the only thing I can really remember about that LP is that I'm pretty sure raocow ended up laughing his ass off at the plot/villain because of how "JRPG-y" they were.

edit: Oh, and in regards to Something Awful Dwarf Fortress LPs, the most recent (and still on-going) one is Bronzestabbed.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Willhart wrote:It's funny how the short names got less bonus points than the long ones. Some think that those are harder to execute well, and both can be good with enought creativity and skill.

The long names are still more limiting/restrictive so I quess it works.
Well, it wasn't just length. There were a number of other factors. Most often, Easy-Medium level names had to do with concrete principles or things. Like "forest" or "run" - something that provides an obvious jumping point for the design.

Hard level names tended to be more based on concept in their inception. So things like famous quotes from video games or movies. No real concrete elements to jump off of. Or, alternatively, hard names were just utter madlib messes that the designer was handed (see Japanese Sky Train) and told to make something awesome out of. And people really did.
I bet if i did some more digging and put some real effort I coulda made that name work perfectly(aka make it look like a legit cloud train)
Image Image
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Darkonius64 »

i just wanna point out that Valtteri is actually the most underrated guy in our forum.
i'm pretty sure Zephyr is the most overrated guy.

still waiting for today's levels, i think the levels are getting pretty good
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Yikes

Post by Yikes »

@Horikawa: Don't ever respond to shitty youtube comments^^ My first reaction when I saw your level "review" was: "Haha, you can't review a level like that!" And then I was thinking about the game Skyward Sword (also a Zelda game^^) and I hate it so much and can't tell why. I just freaking hate that game! Does that make my opinion less valid?!

Also you didn't play Zelda 2, right?

You didn't like it and that's ok! Many people don't like the overall atmosphere of Zelda 2 and imo you should have played (and liked) Zelda 1 before you can really get into Zelda 2. It was huuuuuge back then! When I saw that the overworld of Zelda 1 was just a small little part in Zelda 2's world my mind was blown! :mrgreen:

It would have actually really surprised me, when 3/3 people think a level based on Zelda 2 is an awesome idea.
Gesundheit!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Still having Youtube issues raocow, or were you evacuated because of the flooding?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

It's youtube, I'm safe where I am at.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
AlchemistHohenheim wrote:Yoshi's Island Ocean Cloud was pretty creative considering the wacky name. Shame about the pipes not working, and the abrupt end.
The pipes did work. They were exit pipes for content raocow missed.
Oh, they were? I guess I misinterpreted part of the "developer's commentary" then, since it sounded to me like he was saying something broke.
Looking at the level, one or two warps did get broken along the way actually, but at least one that he tried should have worked right...

Is there anything that should be done as far as a Director's Cut edition of this level, so to say? Given there's already another YI style level that's generally better done(though with the gimmick being a YI mountain, not an ocean cloud) I don't think there'd be huge demand, but I also hate seeing half the level screwed up forever.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh man kagome kagome was neat.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Hehe, Kagome Kagome really is Mechdragon's level except humanly doable. Not sure if I like that midpoint placement, though, but considering the level kept you well nourished on mushrooms and raocow has shown that it can be beaten in one shot, it would really be a case of "don't judge without having played it".

The Mountain of stars was a pleasant little rompy level. No out-shot bad things involved, and just generally good.

I really enjoy Ghost House for being a really basic level at its core, yet still having dynamic and fun gameplay, keeping the level interesting and preventing it from being tossed on the 'generic' pile. It's a harder thing to pull off than it may seem, and J_T_G did it pretty well!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

If your drinks causes you to seeing stars falling and rolling, seeing bullets flying everywhere and seeing ghost switches, then you should really question the viability of those drinks.

"The Mountains of Stars" is a, supposed, "relaxing" level. It's well made in terms of visuals, but the length and difficulty are what's keeping the atmosphere away.

"Kagome Kagome" is one danmaku levels done right: it's just too bad that the boss isn't included, resulting in the midpoint being lobsided (don't know why it's autocorrecting to lopsided).

"Ghost House" is a ghost house with some added flavor, good and bad. The length of the level is on the long side, but the level does certainly do the switches well, as well as the gameplay of areas interesting.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Valtteri

Post by Valtteri »

Yikes wrote:My first reaction when I saw your level "review" was: "Haha, you can't review a level like that!" And then I was thinking about the game Skyward Sword (also a Zelda game^^) and I hate it so much and can't tell why. I just freaking hate that game! Does that make my opinion less valid?!
Yes, it does...
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The Mountains of Stars had a good music choise that works well for creating atmosphere. The falling stars and star pots were super clever in my opinion. Everything looked little bare, what with no trees or bushes. The mountain tops tend to be like that. There were a lot of ambushing koopas everywhere working together with the other fast moving enemies. I feel like it encourages more careful playstyle.

The other two levels were good too.
Last edited by Willhart 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

MrDeePay wrote:
Bwarch wrote:Honestly it might be a good idea for future shenanigans if we do blind judging (if possible) wherein the judges don't know who made what. It would be a bit difficult and roundabout but the upside is you don't get artificial inflation for community celebrities.

Also bias. Because all the bias in the world.

Not saying that's the case here, I haven't even watched the ep yet, just using the quote as an excuse to expound on something I've been thinking about.
- Pick the judges out beforehand and put them in Group J. Whether or not the judges are known to the participants is up to the CO (contest organizer).
- Create a sub-forum that Group J cannot see even if they're logged out, as to prevent temptation on their own. The subforum would function as the "hub" for the contest where people submit and discuss their entries. Ideally, the CO should not be a judge.
- If someone blurbs who did what, deal with them accordingly.
- When all of the entries have been judged, you're free to spill the beans.

All of that seems like more trouble than it's worth, though.
I'm shocked that everybody is making the idea of blind judging harder than it has to be, haha. Especially you DeePay!

A) Make sure nobody puts their name in a level.
B) Have people submit via PM to somebody who is not a judge.
C) That person then distributes a zip of all the levels to the judges.
D) That person also keeps track of whose level is whose so that later on they can put together the hub for all the levels.

Edit:
Ignoritus wrote: As for blind judging, it's been in place for the ToB contests since the first. Users are not allowed to post screenshots or details about their level anywhere public or where a judge might see it. Submissions are made to the contest organizer who redistributes them to the judges. Judges judge and review and record it by the level's name, then send it back to the host. Host calculates and places. If the level itself contains the authors name the judge reports it to the host and scores it normally and the host decides what is merited.
Whoops looks like Ignoritus got it down pat. Good on ToB honestly.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Just_this_guy

Post by Just_this_guy »

Oh hey, my level. About time it showed up - I've been expecting it to pop up 'in the next video' for a few weeks now - very pleasantly surprised at my positioning.

Since everyone has been doing it already, some commentary:
My original plan for this level was very different from what you see now - I was intending to make it all friendly at first until you reach a certain point, whereas they would turn on you. The Sanctuary Zone is the only surviving section of that particular idea.

The 'counter-clockwise/clockwise' text was supposed to be a hint to the final puzzle, in regards to switch order from where you enter the room.

Looking back, I probably should have moved the doors around a bit in the second area, so that the second time you enter, you would be going from the top down, instead of having to go upward twice.

The P-switch door was supposed to contain a pathway to a second star, but I ran out of time before implementing it, so I just plopped the one-up there.
Regardless, I had fun with it. Thanks Mr. the cow for playing it!
Last edited by Just_this_guy 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely considered a bad move."
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Isn't "lopsided," the normal way to say/spell that word? When I searched it "lobsided," was an alternate spelling (that my spellcheck wants me to change,) and I'd never seen the b-version until today.

Also...
Horikawa Otane wrote:
sedron wrote:I think the only part of Horikawa's judging I really disagree with thus far was not adequately explaining why she didn't care so much for Valterri's level. I understand it being hard to pinpoint, but you only need to know the SMBX community a little bit to know Valterri is pretty big there and there'd be a good chance of people going crazy over his placement. =P
This was kinda deliberate.

1) I'm not going to treat him specially just because's he's well-known in an extremely small community that happens to occasionally watch raocow videos. Nor do I think he'd want me to. I put as much thought into his 'reaction comment' as anyone else's.

2) I couldn't figure out what it was about it I didn't like. I mean, I loved the faithfulness and all that, but I didn't ever really find myself having fun throughout. Maybe it was the 'fetch-quest' nature of it? I have no idea.

3) Dude the SMBX community is made of crazy people if their posts in here so far are any indication. My rating Valtteri's level somewhat poorly won't have much of an impact on what's already there lol. Give it a day or two and it'll die down.
Valtteri wrote:
Yikes wrote:My first reaction when I saw your level "review" was: "Haha, you can't review a level like that!" And then I was thinking about the game Skyward Sword (also a Zelda game^^) and I hate it so much and can't tell why. I just freaking hate that game! Does that make my opinion less valid?!
Yes, it does...
Horikawa, you first reason is part of why I felt it was important to have more concrete issues with the level. All of the contestants absolutely deserve to be treated and rated on equal grounds, and thus far Valterri's level is the only one where no concrete reason was given for it's placement. I can still totally understand not being able to put your finger on those reasons, but perhaps more time could have been spent trying to understand? (Not that you didn't put enough time into this contest as is, mind you. Like I said, it's the one decision you've made thus far that I really disagree with, but as a whole I've really enjoyed this contest.)

I can only assume Valterri is less-than-happy with his placement/review, and I can half-sympathize with that. When my level comes up, if there's something that detracted from the experience of playing it or something that I could have improved on, I'll want to know. I think it's normal for the contestants to know these things so they understand their mistakes and placements (and can improve if they want to continue with any sort of level design.) That said, Valterri's level is still (I believe,) in the top 25% of levels, in the second-to-last world, and placed over about one hundred other levels in a contest with a lot of really good levels (even if Valterri doesn't particularly believe that.) That's still really freaking good.

I don't think being unable to explain an opinion makes it less valid, but for the purposes of a contest like this (wherein critique is mandatory,) it's really important.
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

"The Mountains of the Stars" was pretty neat in how it made stars fall from the sky and attack you, but it's a shame the SMB3 balls o' doom the stars are based on will go to the ends of the earth to ram you down, which does eliminate some of the calm mood the level seemed to have been going for. Overall though, nice and pretty, though not terribly much else to say.

"Kagome Kagome" is without a doubt my favorite of the three bullet hell levels. It seems like what the very first one tried to be - it's difficult and frantic and leads you through a sprawling structure, but it allows far more let and keeps the survival rooms hard, but short, snappy, and doable, and the level itself knows its genre and that it's a platformer, and uses shorter, more condensed, more indicative obstacles in place of the design methodology of spitting rinkas and projectiles everywhere without rhyme or reason to it. This was quite nice.

"Ghost House" was short, sweet and had a neat puzzle in it too. What it lacks in usual Ghost House-esque trickery it makes up for with just fun and, honestly, it makes me realize that I'm not disappointed this wasn't a typical ghost house. Very well done.
sedron wrote:I can only assume Valterri is less-than-happy with his placement/review, and I can half-sympathize with that. When my level comes up, if there's something that detracted from the experience of playing it or something that I could have improved on, I'll want to know. I think it's normal for the contestants to know these things so they understand their mistakes and placements (and can improve if they want to continue with any sort of level design.) That said, Valterri's level is still (I believe,) in the top 25% of levels, in the second-to-last world, and placed over about one hundred other levels in a contest with a lot of really good levels (even if Valterri doesn't particularly believe that.) That's still really freaking good.

I don't think being unable to explain an opinion makes it less valid, but for the purposes of a contest like this (wherein critique is mandatory,) it's really important.
While I do think he was pretty irritating in a few of his comments, I also think he is justified in being upset over the critique - it didn't exactly tell him where he went wrong, and just a bit of elaboration on that would've helped to justify why that score was given. My favorite reviews Horikawa made were the ones that went into depth about why she liked the level and why she didn't like the level rather than the ones that were super condensed and short. But, at the same time, I understand the period of time between getting all the levels and delivering the final product to raocow was really short, and Horikawa and the judges had a significant amount on their plate already, so going in-depth with each level probably would take far more time than would likely be practical. For the next contest, though, it would be nice if perhaps either there could be a longer period for judging, or other judges gave their opinions too so that, should one justification not explain a lot, others might, even if that meant taking an extra month or so to get everything ready.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Is there any information regarding the scoring that is sent to the contestants when their level comes up or should it be asked for?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Trigger warning: claiming it's 'lobsided'

That Touhou level was probably the best possible implementation of a wienery Touhou level I guess. I guess.

Ignoring the switch-based backtracking but that's an SMBX thing not a Touhou thing. Also dude could certainly have moved the midpoint to make up for an incomplete second ha
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Oh man, I loved today's levels!

"The Mountains of Stars" had really nice atmosphere to it and was just at the edge of being seemingly empty.

"Kagome Kagome" is probably in my top 3 favorites for the contest. Such a shame that the Reisen boss wasn't finished. Also, very cool that the bullet slow effect was included. (game is Imperishable Night for those who don't know)

"Ghost House" a nice, straightforward ghost house. The low brass made for great background music.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

"Mountain of Stars" was an amazing level, and the Ghost House was neat, as well. Less said about the second level, the better.
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Good set of three, today. I was impressed with Mountain of Stars on terms of atmosphere, it really felt like a mountain-scape with shooting stars bombarding it. The flying Beetles were placed just on the right side of fair but I could see me having trouble getting some of those jumps myself.

Kagome Kagome was awesome just for being a fair Touhou level. And I love how the Slow Bullet mechanic worked, it's such a shame that the boss wasn't completed for the contest, that could have been wonderful!

Ghost House, well, props for being a first timer level, man, that was pretty darn good! It wasn't super complex but it got the feel of a Ghost House stage perfectly and I hope I see your name bounce around more from here j_t_g!
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I feel like the touhou levels would benefit from themed enemies and graphics similar to the super marisa land, megamari, takkoman, touhou mother, or other fangames. The original touhou series had distinct visual themes too. The boss could have different music from the level to make it stand out more.