(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Re: There's Horikawa Otane - She's the Most Biased of the Bu

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Aqualakitu wrote:the "plot" of him rescuing the toads comes from nowhere and kinda goes nowhere. The thematic variety in environments fits the level name for sure, but there's just not much that really strings it all together besides the fact that he's rescuing toads in the different sections.
I don't entirely agree. I mean, the story at the end of the day is essentially just "rescue the princess" but with multiple 'princesses' throughout. I think the reason why some found it enjoyable was mostly because even though the story itself was generic and very sparse, the way it was revealed to you was very mysterious. That being said, story-wise I found it fell flat by the time it got to the 'level in review' section. It seemed to contradict the entire idea of rescuing all of the toads, and I suppose before you find out at the end that the story is a 'rescue the princess' scenario, it's still interesting. Your imagination thinks about how it could be an end of the world scenario, or a 'trapped inside data' scenario, or a 'you're obviously in a game and it's kinda falling apart scenario'.

What I'm saying is the story was one that hinted at a large presence whilst you're playing it, but when you're done you find out it's ludicrously simple, and to me that was a massive, massive let-down and it kinda made me feel cheaped out as a viewer. It's like being offered a large bar of chocolate and when you unwrap it a banana drops out. It's okay, but it's excitement is all in its build-up and not in it's resolution, and personally that's something that bothers me quite a bit.

Also, I personally found the level design itself to seem lacking. Mostly bland environments with design mostly around enemies rather than platforming, which is personally not a style I enjoy that much. However, I do have to say, I feel a bit sorry for the designer, because the level was more than decent and it definitely looks enjoyable, but I suppose quite a few of us agree that it seemed kinda out of place.

But hey, opinions! And if nothing else, having the level this high has generated a pretty interesting discussion! (In my opinion!)
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

So I have a new level in my Top 1 list for this contest.

Sorry, Mission: Proud Sky.
phencer42

Post by phencer42 »

GalaxyOfJ, hats off to you. I'm quite fond of that level and it might be my favorite thus far in the contest. What other levels have you made? Any chance we'll get to see you in A2MBXT?
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

phencer42 wrote:GalaxyOfJ, hats off to you. I'm quite fond of that level and it might be my favorite thus far in the contest. What other levels have you made? Any chance we'll get to see you in A2MBXT?
I only respond to my native cry of maggle. Only other level I've made for anything ever is Whimsy Boo's Flying Ghost House for MaGL2 and one other level for MaGLX.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mario was the Freeman in that level. You stumple through things. There is a story going on that is not explained and you do things you are wanted to do without really knowing what is really wanted from you or what has led to the current situation. There was a sence of danger that comes from the fear of dying too. I enjoy references and this level was my favorite world 6 level so far. I still kinda agree with it's placement since I have not seen the upcoming levels.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

I liked todays levels.

Fire and water and ice and mushroom platforms and sand and airships? Don't see those all combined into the same level often.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Oh I'd also like to bring up, that Kraid boss battle was a reskinned Mother Brain that was a lot of fun.
Kraid seems to be popular with SMBX, but it's been a wart battle historically. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... smbx+kraid

I would say this MB version is easier and a bit more fun. There was only one time you were in real danger though.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I wouldn't rate it as highly as Otane did, but I guess that's why there are two other judges with different opinions, so it all works out I guess.

The thing is I was expecting the whole time that the level would turn more Half-Life than it was, what with the level name and the G-Man so I didn't get to really think about the 'mystery' as some others would.

The concept of a SMBX level with good story and little dialogue gave me an idea for a level, though. Maybe I'll make it for A2MBXT E2 or something
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I really kept expecting the second half would become something else entirely instead of continuing the "glitch into new area" thing. Oh well, still a neat level.
GalaxyOfJ

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I recorded developer commentary with a sore throat. Time to make it work and upload

Edit: Recording it with a sore throat may have been a bad idea

Edit edit: Probably should've used my good mic

Edit edit edit edit edit: Commentary on hold until my throat makes it sound less awful

short version:
This whole level was made at the last second. So much so that I was working up to the original deadline.

Then I had an idea for a level, but I didn't know how to do it, so I made a Metroid level instead off of my other remaining name. It was boring, forgettable, didn't have much to do with the name, and needed a lot of sprite replacement to work, so I abandoned it and switched to make an idea vaguely based on my original idea that I couldn't do.

Around the point of finishing the desert (pre ghost version), SMBX defeated me and killed my desire to make a good level, which is why quality takes a nose dive as soon as you leave the desert. Jungle was bad, but I didn't want to remove it since SMBX is awful and making anything in it takes so much effort that I would rather lose points than get rid of it, which is also the reason there's a Metroid section and a half finished Kraid fight, since those graphics were ported from my original level and at that point I had given up and just wanted to add whatever the hell I want.

The idea for the last section completely revitalized me, was fun to make, and was in my opinion the best part of the level. It was also the closest to my original vision of the level. Too bad at that point I was dead tired with the deadline staring at me and had to submit it I before I passed out.

More specific thoughts and such will be saved for whenever I rerecord the commentary.

Moral of the story: Don't procrastinate.

More importanty: Don't use SMBX.

I have no desire to ever work with the engine again. If there's a MaGLX2 I'll still probably enter, but with something like Mission: Proud Sky
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: We're Serving up Levels and you Know that's not Baloney

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote:I've been trying to upload this stupid video since 7:00am (it's now 9:16am)

Like seriously what the christ youtube.
Ahaha, oh man, now I feel bad. For your other mailman. Whoops.

Oh hey first time I've heard you rather than alex/alex2/alex3 specifically mention the "lowercase" thing.

Hop the forest! Your jump timings were off because of the scroll, silly cow! I approve of the design here, it's very much a speedy level that punishes stopping, but the slow descent is misleading. It felt just right for what it is, didn't become too frustrating yet constantly keeps you on your toes.

I'm not sure how that was in any way Donut Plains 2 but okay! It had some good explorationy design, but was pretty basic. It was very much "An SMBX level" rather than a SMW or SMB3 level. I dunno, not really my cup of tea, I don't have much to say about it. Nice tileset though. Not too sure about the secret star or frequent text prompts.

GalaxyOfJ, you created one of my favourite MaGL2 levels just for sheer rompy fun and I was disappointed with where it placed! I'm glad to see you back which a much longer rompy fun level with a nice thematic and good use of music! They even both have a transition-related gimmick that's non-punishing and doesn't require learning. Your levels make me happy, and that's about the highest praise I can give to a level. Perhaps next time, with a little more visual or tech sophistication, and a narrative framing that is distinct rather than referential (I know, I know, naming theme - you made it work), and you're onto a surefire winner (or at the very least top entry). Good job! I look forward to your voice commentary when your throat is better.
Sad to hear you're frustrated with the engine like so many though. We really need an alternative extended platformer engine that extends the Mario style of momentum and control with neither the limitations or age of SMW+LunarMagic nor the limitations and strange batshit fuckery that is SMBX.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GalaxyOfJ

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Oh, there's a slightly hilarious bug in my level. If you beat it in one life, thanks to the way layers work, there will be half of an airship parked on top of the G-Toad at the end. Impossible to jump over, and the only way past is to do the whole crouching into a one block gap and zipping through. Only noticed when I ran through the whole thing in god mode for the commentary
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

So... today's levels. Let's see...

"Hop the Forest" was pretty neat, honestly. I liked the way the whole stage was slowly sinking, invoking "they're destroying the forest below you" nicely. The only problem is that it feels like it just abruptly ends.

"My Own Take on Donut Plains 2" was my favorite of today's stages, primarily because it looked so dang amazing. Where'd that tileset come from? I love it! Also looked pretty fun, too, if a bit ordinary. Didn't really bring to mind Donut Plains 2 all that much, though.

"The Right Man in the Wrong Place Can Make all the Difference in the World" was... a level. Not sure I'd rate it as high as Horikawa. I actually liked the minimalistic storytelling and ominous atmosphere, but I felt let down at the end when the whole plot, as it were, went nowhere. Things progressively get weirder and weirder, then... the stage just ends. I guess it's supposed to be one of those "you decide for yourself what *really* happened" things, but... I've never been a big fan of that kind of storytelling, personally, so I'm a tad biased. Still, ending aside, the stage was very enjoyable.

Also, since Horikawa finally got around to updating the original post, I suppose my protest is over, and it's time for my...

WORLD FIVE FAVORITES!!!!!!!

*killer guitar riff*

Ehem... In no particular order...

It's a SMB1 Level, Except Way Nicer
As I've said before, I love the happy fun little romps like this one. This stage wasn't hard, but it didn't need to be. It was cute, charming, and left me with a smile on my face at the end. A job well done.

Little Ruins
Aesthetically amazing. Shame it didn't follow the level name, and I'll admit that I've never played Little Samson, but the whole stage just felt extremely polished, and I'm very curious, like many others here are, to learn how some of the enemies and such were created. Especially that boss, even if it *looked* more amazing than it probably was to *fight*.

Link's Depressing Circus
This may have been my favorite stage in the entire contest so far. It was as hilarious and amazingly well-crafted as it was depressing (those poor toads). You just *knew* that circus was hiding something, after all. And the usage of Devil's Lab, one of my favorite Final Fantasy songs *period*, earned some major bonus points with me.

Too Many Trains in this MotherBlaster Tunnel
Another happy fun type stage, and those tiny trains were just too cute. The giant train smashing through the stage near the end made me laugh, as well.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I have a feeling that M/L filter coming up is mine.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ometeotl wrote:I have a feeling that M/L filter coming up is mine.
I'll bet the stage with the Mario filter and the single muncher outside it is Castlepokemetroid's level. Going by the original list, that one had "small Mario + secret instructions" listed.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
GalaxyOfJ

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

YelseyKing wrote:
I'll bet the stage with the Mario filter and the single muncher outside it is Castlepokemetroid's level. Going by the original list, that one had "small Mario + secret instructions" listed.
I'm so curious about that level
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I'm guessing raocow is not going to get it what you're supposed to do.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

No way mate, it's definitely mine.

Also it seems that by talking about Half-Life 2 gameplay in this thread I can summon a Half-Life 2 themed level into the contest. I wonder what else I can summon?

Personally I did really like the way it handled things but if I were judging it I could not honestly give it a 38/40 for fun due to its extreme length. I can see how a midpoint could have harmed the atmosphere but I don't think abridging large parts of it would have necessarily done so.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Personally I did really like the way it handled things but if I were judging it I could not honestly give it a 38/40 for fun due to its extreme length. I can see how a midpoint could have harmed the atmosphere but I don't think abridging large parts of it would have necessarily done so.
Didn't that level have a hidden midpoint? At one point a coin went "zwee" when raocow picked it up.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ditocoaf wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:Personally I did really like the way it handled things but if I were judging it I could not honestly give it a 38/40 for fun due to its extreme length. I can see how a midpoint could have harmed the atmosphere but I don't think abridging large parts of it would have necessarily done so.
Didn't that level have a hidden midpoint? At one point a coin went "zwee" when raocow picked it up.
It did. raocow even said a word or two about it.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I stand corrected. Even with the midpoint I still think it could do with a bit of abridging.
m4sterbr0s

Re: An Awful Reviewer, but Makes a heck of a Brunch!

Post by m4sterbr0s »

I wonder if the fact that the "final dragon coin was hard to find" had any influence in the score given by Horikawa >_> lol.

But regardless, I'm happy to see that raocow played a second level that I have made.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

You know, I just realized, with all this "small r" for raocow talk, the character blocks in A_MBXT still use an "R".
castlepokemetroid
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by castlepokemetroid »

YelseyKing wrote:
Holy cow, I came here right after work to post how I totally know that the mario level only with the muncher next to it has got to be my level, and I got beat to it.

I had no idea that "secret instructions" would = muncher, but hey, it's kinda hilarious in a way.

Oh man, so much hype, can't wait to see how raocow plays it.
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
Koroshi Hearts
Coming to a circulatory system near you

Post by Koroshi Hearts »

I really liked your level GalaxyofJ. As Voltgloss said, I think it was the atmosphere that really pulls you in, and by the time the last section came up, I was really excited to see how it'd end (in a good way!). Though, I will admit that I get easily immersed so I'm sort of a sucker for stuff like this, haha.

Also, I find it pretty amusing that we've had two "My Own Take On..." levels with rather hilarious intros.