(shouting)

SMBX (2014 Yacht of Opinions): MaGL X - Whoohoo!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Tenlade

Re: You Teach me and I'll Mostly Ignore You - MAGL X

Post by Tenlade »

Doctor Shemp wrote:I wonder if there's anyone out there insane & brave enough to try deliberately spawning the lakitus and then killing all of them.

Well if the levels were released....
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

its gonna be a long 1-2 months. Well, I just reinstalled smbx so that gives me time to practice on all the other level packs I never tried.
cheez8
Food Nut

Re: To Teach MaGL X to Understand Appropriate Music!!!

Post by cheez8 »

Woo, I caught up at last! Free time is getting harder and harder to spare. And now that I'm late:
Horikawa Otane wrote:But for now...

Everyone, what were your favourite World 2 levels and why?
Mine are Jump the Canyons and I hear in Japan they fly in their Castles, one for being one of the better-looking ones that didn't have problems and the other for being the best-looking one that did. Normally being "the best thing that had issues" wouldn't make it count but man, honestly, if the level had two fewer rotodiscs and no homing paratroopas way at the top, I'd say it's super-solid! (fixing the one-shot Yoshi would've been nice too, but honestly I think the existence of those unpredictable menaces way at the end of an already tough enough second half, just WAITING to ruin your day, is a more pressing issue.) (Disclaimer: I may hate homing para-things more than I ought to.)

Dudes was also pretty good too. So was A Swim in the Sinking Lake, even if it was a bit short, because it wasn't TOO short and I wholly enjoyed that Layer 3 joke.

Gotta say though, most of the levels in world 2 looked like they ranged from "not bad" to "pretty enjoyable", which is REALLY GOOD for being beaten by 100 other entries! Kudos to all these people who did, in fact, make a good level!

(world 3 is coming along nicely too!)
I don't really get it but okay
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

dr_kraid wrote:Probably invincible
Nope, just checked.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Three days late, but... I really liked Septentrions level too!!!
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

The tiny death montage of raocow failing to do the very first jump right made me laugh pretty hard.
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

Unaniem wrote:The tiny death montage of raocow failing to do the very first jump right made me laugh pretty hard.
I concur.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Maiku Wotaharu wrote:
Unaniem wrote:The tiny death montage of raocow failing to do the very first jump right made me laugh pretty hard.
I concur.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Not bad today for a long, one video level. Besides maybe the sparse power-ups, it seemed reasonably doable. I didn't really feel the "dreamland" aspect of the level though.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Me too.

The musics from that level are pretty sweet. What are they from?

Also I agree that this level could have been shorter. Personally I would've put the midpoint at the start of the third section. But still a nice platformer level.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

RedMageMike wrote:
Maiku Wotaharu wrote:
I concur.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Not bad today for a long, one video level. Besides maybe the sparse power-ups, it seemed reasonably doable. I didn't really feel the "dreamland" aspect of the level though.
The funniest part about it was just the first two notes of the song playing over and over again methinks. The soundtrack of eternal death.
Last edited by Bwarch 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

I love like it looks like he's gonna do the same mistake AGAIN, succeeds instead, and then the footage speeds up.

Also, this level needed its length slashed in half.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Yup.

Also this looked like the sort of level I would have absolutely loved. It's got a nice Tick Tock Clockey feel to it, sort of mixed with The Longest Shortcut from Rayman 3. Both levels I loved.

But yeah - it should have ended at the midpoint.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

The first jump is sometimes the hardest.

I can confidentially tell that "A Dreamland Castle Ship" is a SMBX standard level due to the length of the level and the maker's knowledge of everything about the engine. Sure, it's long, but the pacing is just right in my opinion. Why isn't the level just as laggy (besides raocow disabling frameskip) is just that there are is a medium amount of blocks constantly moving, as well as being as few moving layers as possible. Overall, long with some powerup issues, but enjoyable nonetheless, and a hilarious montage of the first jump.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Today's level looked pretty frustratingly hard, but from good design rather than bad design. I like. :geek:
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

My only complaint with today's level was the one tile jumps and the fact that the second area felt very disjointed from the rest of the level.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

yogui wrote:The musics from that level are pretty sweet. What are they from?
I recognize the Map Theme from Castle Crashers and the end credits to Luigi's Mansion. I have no idea what the first screen music is though.
CodeGorilla

Post by CodeGorilla »

RedMageMike wrote:
yogui wrote:The musics from that level are pretty sweet. What are they from?
I recognize the Map Theme from Castle Crashers and the end credits to Luigi's Mansion. I have no idea what the first screen music is though.
It was bugging me, too, because I did recognize it. It's a port of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BxfpbyV-uc&feature=kp
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Pretty long level today, but hey, it looked actually somewhat enjoyable difficulty wise. Of course that kind of length would probably make me want to bash my head against a wall, but ehh.
Also that first jump.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
OverHyped

Post by OverHyped »

WIth the knowledge Gezo24 has with the engine, his level came out great. Difficulty was fair, power ups were provided appropriately and the pace of such a long level was well done! Horikawa is right though, too lengthy a level does not make a level better. I hope to see you higher next time, Gezo, as it's obvious you're capable of making something special with your knowledge of the engine and great pacing skills.
DatLeon

Post by DatLeon »

Oh wow, #93. Really neat in my opinion. And going after the ranking, one of the "worst" sent in the contest. It was long, but I did not really see any part of the level that made me say "Ugh, change that!" In that case, I am even more excited for the top levels!
I may be a bunny, but please respect animals too!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

That level was too long and that first jump was annoying !!
Gezo24

Post by Gezo24 »

So Its a honor to have my level played and given positive feedback! (but I feel sorta bad for making it long) When making a level you sort of master every part of the level so its hard to gauge that. Im sure you guys know that already.
This level I really was just focusing on either some 'pure platforming', or just a well paced level, and I think I accomplished that pretty well. Ive only made two levels; heck I submitted my first one to A2MBXT. Which isnt awful. But I like this one alot better.
SAJewers wrote:My only complaint with today's level was the one tile jumps and the fact that the second area felt very disjointed from the rest of the level.
The second part I had in mind was meant to be the main interior of the castle, thus representing a more dificult platforming area. The midpoint was going to be somewhere after that, but as I said before, the level kept getting easier to me as I played so I eneded up adding alot :P
8flight wrote: Horikawa replied to me saying Gezo sent her a pm saying I found these kirby graphics but I don't know what to do with them.
Haha, not a chance!
dr_kraid wrote:That level was too long and that first jump was annoying !!
Thats exactly why I put it first thing. I assumed youd have done it so much itd be cake. But either way Im glad cause raocow's death montage was rather entertaining.

So ya theres my input since I know everyone loves to hear from the level maker. Right.
Last edited by Gezo24 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DatLeon

Post by DatLeon »

I agree, but seeing raocow failing at the jump was hilarious to watch. :D
I may be a bunny, but please respect animals too!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Gezo24 wrote: This level I really was just focusing on either some 'pure platforming', or just a well paced level, and I think I accomplished that pretty well. Ive only made two levels; heck I submitted my first one to A2MBXT. Which isnt awful. But I like this one alot better.
For all the cool things in the level, the pacing is what could have been done a lot better I think. Despite me liking the level as a whole, the two things it didn't do very well were being a massive sprawl that was all over the place visually and having a few too many ideas crammed in that attributed to it being a bit over-lengthy.

If you make another level, I recommend not putting in as much err..."going-to-the-obstacle" space that you had between segments. Not sure exactly how else to phrase that. You want a level to funnel people in one direction most of the time, so if you've got something linear going on you want to make the way forward as concise as possible and minimize the amount of time players spend getting to the good stuff like the corridor of SAWS.

What I really like about the level is that it knew what it wanted to be. It was a castle filled with traps in the sky, and it damn well was a castle filled with traps in the sky! Its problems are mainly just with some of the jumps being a bit too cramped than they needed to be.
Gezo24 wrote:
Thats exactly why I put it first thing.
I LIKE THE CUT OF YOUR JIB.
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

Today's level reminded me of Saskatchewan from Super Mario Omega in that it was solidly good, completely unmemorable, and also an entire world.