(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins)

Post by Bean »

(4) Macro Zone

This old house may look big on the outside, but it's not really all that packed once you finally step in it. The hardest stages come right at the very beginning of the zone, and this makes for one of the odder difficulty curves in the whole game. I like the gimmick of a giant house, but the whole giant idea was done better in SMB3. Doesn't mean it's not fun in spots, but SML2 has four zones that are better. Next time, we go to the one that I think isn't. Spooky.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

So... I actually *have* been following this LP. I just haven't posted, because I'm not as familiar with the game overall (I have played it, but it was a long time ago) as I was with the last two games you did. Besides which, you've shown off everything I probably would have mentioned already anyhow. :P

I've always liked Macro Zone for some reason. Not really sure *why*, specifically. I just remember having fun with it as a kid. That it has the only secret area in the game that actually has a purpose other than 100% completion is neat, too.

And... you gonna show off eventually what happens if you spend 999 coins at the slot machine game? Potentially huge waste, though. Not that lives have been an issue for you. But still. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, the final slot machine's going to be in the seventh video. I'll be working on these videos this month. Still haven't finished the fifth yet because I skipped ahead to edit the easier sixth one, so this thread will probably get updated in real time again in a week or so now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Pumpkin Zone

Going to let you all in on a little secret. The haunted house theme in Mario games tends to bore me. It was fine in World as a novelty, but you're going to have to wait all the way until Galaxy before I get excited about doing levels like that again. The Pumpkin Zone is a good example of how to do this type of world without falling into those traps, but it still has things about it I don't care for like playing a whole level just to put secret exits at the end... twice. Even worse, one of them leads to what is my absolute least favorite stage in the game. The slippery control or floaty jumps were not built with that one in mind.

The boss fight and enemy types are interesting at the very least, but it's not enough to keep this one out from being dead last of SML2 zones. It never stood a ghost of a chance, you could say. By the way, don't say that. But do take a look at the last minute where I accidentally show off one crazy glitch thanks to a lack of a bottomless pit flag in certain stages. Spooky, huh?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Oh man. That glitch at the end was amazing. :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, and it only gets weirder today.

(6) Mario Zone

Mario's next challenge is to go inside a mechanized version of himself. These stages involve gears and conveyor belts, but the real interesting thing about this one is where some of these stages take place. Things get a little sensitive in the second level while we finish off in a rather empty area for the finale. There are no secret exits to find here, so it's just a fun run through one of my favorite places in the game. My favorite? Well, that's coming up next time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Space Zone

Waited a long time for this one, but the moment has finally arrived to take down my favorite zone in the game... if we can get there. Yeah, the entrance to this place is handled differently than the other five zones, but it's one of the more creative ways I can think of for someone to get to the moon anyway. It's actually perfect training for one of the two types of levels we'll be dealing with in the stars as you're basically swimming in the air. Of course the other gimmick deals with reduced gravity, and I happen to enjoy both styles a lot. It's the place that does the most with its ideas and implements them perfectly. Hey, it's the one area where the floaty jumps make sense! That's good enough for me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Wario's Castle

Who'd have thought that the hardest level of a Mario game would be the last one? That's a first for the series in my opinion, and it is certainly a doozy. From the moment you step foot inside the place, you'll notice a sharp increase in difficulty. Good enemy placement along with a lot of tough jumps make this place a deathtrap from start to around the finish. I don't think Wario's all that bad compared to what we have to go through to get to him, but even he's one of the harder bosses in the game thanks to the whole three phase deal he gets. I think the pair of power-ups offsets the challenge a bit, but then again, it wouldn't be Super Mario Land 2 if things didn't work out in our favor.

It's a fun game, and I'm glad I finally got back to it after abandoning it in my uploading to Viddler-only days of 2008. Man, remember that site? Don't. Just remember that this game was fun and move on. Next! ...Once I figure out what next will actually be.

Super Mario Land 2 Coin Total: 2981 / Overall: 10,893
YelseyKing

Re: The Mario Megathread

Post by YelseyKing »

So. I just mentioned your Megaman Powered Up LP on Discordhaus, because I've been playing the game lately (on emulator), and it kinda reminded me that I never commented on *this* one after you finished.

As usual, another fun LP through a game I enjoyed as a kid. I liked that you showed off all the secret areas, all (or at least most of) the hidden items in stages, as well as glitches and some other fun stuff. SML2 was never my *favorite* Mario game, but it was enjoyable enough for its day, and it was nice to revisit it.

As for your next Mario-related project... I'd say, SMW would be more thematically appropriate, but I've never seen an LP of Wario Land, either (I just played through that game for the first time last year), so that'd be neat, too. I assume you'd show off all the secret stages, treasures, etc. in that one, as well, knowing your penchant for thorough LPs. Either way, looking forward to it!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I should use Discord more often. I got lost navigating the place earlier tonight. I should also play Mega Man again on the channel. I think one of these two things will happen in the near future. Anyway, I'm leaning more towards Yoshi's Island next. Get the long series done first, even if it makes no sense to show off Yoshi in two games before his actual debut.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Heh, I can live with that. Yoshi's Island is awesome. 100% run, I assume?

As for Discord... it'd be great to see you there. You're one of the few people here I talk to regularly who *isn't* already there, after all.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Advance)

Post by Bean »

(1) World 1

Since it's kind of tiring to talk over videos after acting for auditions, I kind of wanted to push MaGMML2 to the side for a bit and ease back into the playthrough thing with a game that I should be able to get done in a relatively decent time frame. Yes, Super Mario Advance is a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2, but there are different goals I'll be going for like collecting all the newly-added Ace Coins and Yoshi eggs in the game. Plus, level design and enemy layout has changed up to make it interesting enough to give it a go.

It kind of puts an interesting new twist on a game that's relatively easy except for those evil run-ruining gray Snifits. Those things are not cool. Anyhoo, the first four worlds will only feature one character apiece this time around instead of splitting things up from the start, so I decided to go with Mario to begin this second tour of Subcon.

Finally, when this goes public on the 18th, that will make Ten Years of Yep.™ on the channel. Never expected to stick around anywhere near this long, even if the last year's been super quiet, but it's still kinda neat all the same. Let the Yoshi Challenge begin!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) World 2

The desert's flat land areas play up to Toad's strengths, but the thing is that both some of the Ace Coins and this remake's engine have toned down those positives in a way that makes him less than ideal as he used to be. Still, thanks to it being the early game, it won't cause you too much trouble... as long as you don't make some very silly mistakes that are mentioned in the middle of this vid. My Mario skills are definitely rusty after taking more than a year off from the 2D stuff. Yeesh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) World 3

This game has always favored characters that can jump high or far, and Luigi can do both! For the most part, this world is pretty much on the simple side, but we are trading making the levels easier for making the bosses a little tougher. I think it's a trade-off worth taking. In any case, Super Mario Advance also added in an exclusive new boss to the mix in Robirdo. While it wouldn't work on the NES due to limitations, it does here. I really think it captures the spirit of SMB2 without feeling out of place. It's different, but it's cool! No, wait. That's next time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) World 4

The ice land of Subcon marks the halfway point of the journey, and it's filled with a lot of potential problems for the good guys. The thing is, Princess Peach can sail over a lot of that trouble, and that's why we've saved her solo showing for last here. It certainly tones down the trouble when you aren't slipping around on the ice as much or facing any boss outside of the one at the end of the world. Honestly, it is a pretty nice place to cool off because the difficulty will heat up again in a big way next time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) World 5

Welcome to a world of trouble that's only been made rougher with the addition of collectables. If it's not having to jump on small moving platforms that are suspended over a pit, it's the game forcing us to hitchhike, or just having a blast that we don't want all throughout. Maybe the character lineup should've been different, but it's all about making sure the final two worlds go easy. Hope that plan doesn't backfire because this one sure didn't. Whoops!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) World 6

I always liked how this world winds up being one of the easiest in the game with all the tough ones it's sandwiched between. Even with the added challenge of collecting Ace Coins and eggs, there weren't that many runs that ended in failure. Had some visual help with the middle third of this one that I credit in the vid description, but it was necessary. Because of that, I think I spent less time recording this whole world than I did the very first level that follows this. It was easily the quickest part of the whole run to record, and I can totally dig that even though there's not much digging to do in the desert this time around. Neat!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) World 7

Luigi and Peach are the best characters to play as in both SMB2 and Advance here, so that's why we're using them for this final world of the challenge. L's leaps are the key to successfully getting around a few too many explosive situations, and Peach's control on her jumps makes the super-long sendoff slightly more manageable. Got to say, I'm not so sure the reward is worth all the trouble these last levels gave me, but on the other hand, it means we've beaten a game on the channel for the first time in just over a year. That felt good.

Hope you enjoyed it! For now, I'm going to take a little rest. Peace!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 35)

Post by Bean »

Super Mario Bros. 35

A little rest does not mean over two years, me! Oops. Well, here's a look at a series we'll get to sometime over a decade from now with the Nintendo Switch and a limited-time game in Super Mario Bros. 35. It's because that it's only going to be up until March 31st of next year that I wanted to get a vid up for it as soon as I could.

SMB35 takes the original Super Mario Bros. and adds in a battle royale aspect to the mix as you take on up to 34 other players in a quest to see whose Mario is the best. Levels are presented at random or in special playlists depending on which of the two modes you select on the main menu. From there, it's just do your best to press on and stick around. Not the easiest thing to do when others are sending enemies they've defeated your way. It's that craziness that makes this one a lot of fun. Let's~a go again!