(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Tetris)

Post by Bean »

(10) Tetris

Time to cap things off with a video that Mario will be in for less than a half minute! Still, Tetris is a much better way to finish a series than a mediocre sports title, and its significance for the Game Boy is why I'm playing that version to end this one with. Good call.

Next time will be Super Mario Bros. 2 unless I go and do whatever I want just because. Mm-hmm.

Mario in the '80s Coin Total: 420
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 2)

Post by Bean »

(1) World 1

Having a time limit again is no fun at all, but for this game, it's not going to matter all that much. Super Mario Bros. 2 is pretty cool. Instead of just having Mario and Luigi around for the ride, Princess Toadstool and Toad get to join in on the fun, too. Even better, they all play differently which means there are different strategies and such you can use to tackle the game's twenty stages. I'm only going to let a character tackle one stage per world in this quest to have some equal-opportunity heroism for this series.

That about covers it. Let's get through this game that was converted from a Famicom Disk System one and get going already!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) World 2

Welcome to the desert where all of the cool tactics to use shortcuts are gone because it's one hot son of a gun out... Well, it's that plus the fact the terrain is pretty much flat for the most part when you're outside. Even entering jars is pretty much not worth the trouble today, so it's a mad dash to the end, and who better to make a mad dash through sand land than Toad? Dude's fast on his feet, after all.

Our boss is a three-headed snake that blows enough fire to slow the game down somewhat. This really isn't a factor if you can build up a small wall before walking too far over to start the battle. Even then, there's a quick way to take this guy down, but that's for another video.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Is there really only one mushroom in 2-1? I always remembered one or two stages in which I could never find the second mushroom (I seem to remember a world 4 stage in which I couldn't find one, either), but I wasn't sure if I was just not looking in the right spots, or if there just *isn't* one.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

With World 4, I'm going to guess you missed the first one in 4-2 where you have to go left after entering the part with all the whales. The only stages in this game that don't have two Mushrooms are 2-1 and 6-2 because they're both pretty short.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) World 3

If it feels like we're in a harder version of World 1, that's because that's basically what this is. We even wind up getting a repeat boss from that opening world, so it's not like you'll be pushed to the limit in this one. I will say that this is probably the last set of stages in the game that you'll probably sail right on past. After this, the difficulty curve will be on the rise. Today, though? Let's just enjoy World 1: Part Two.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) World 4

Who likes ice worlds in video games? No, wait! Get back here! This one's actually kind of fun since it deals more with running through gauntlets than navigating smaller slippery platforms like a lot of these kind of places do. Instead, it has exclusive enemies like Flurries and Autocannons, the only stage in SMB2 that doesn't have a boss battle, and it features whales. See? What's not to love about this place?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) World 5

World 5 is a very dark place, both for being a night-themed area as well as having a plentiful amount of pits to plunge into. This is where the game continues to up the difficulty, even for things that used to be simple like getting a power-up! There are a lot of tight jumps to make, and most of those are usually off the backs of enemies that love to go up and down. Yeah, this is a dangerous place at times, but at least it has a pretty tame third act and fun boss to end things off with.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 2)

Post by Sorel »

I remember that this world was the one I could never beat. You made it look very easy... maybe I will try to beat it again. Who knows how much my skills improved...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) World 6

As I look over the next couple of videos, it's time to let Super Mario Bros. 2's second-to-last world go live. The difficulties that the previous two pit stops on our adventure could give are nowhere to really be found here. It's just back to the desert in a world that could probably be beaten in five minutes if you don't bother to go for any secrets and just want to rush to the end. These stages are short, especially with one huge skip in the third act, but that's a story for another video after the main run is done. As for Triclyde, he's back and now has the high ground, but that doesn't matter in a Mario game. Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) World 7

Man, it's been a while since I've gone through a game without having a schedule slip, so the ending to this one feels like it came out of nowhere! Anyway, the last world only has two levels, but that second one will feel as long as two since I went through it twice to cover a rather large split path. Personally, I don't think Wart is all that challenging himself outside of the slowdown that his bubbles bring. It's actually harder to hit him than it is to get hit by him, so I think Subcon is as good as saved!

Still have a couple of videos to go in this series, the next one showing what I didn't skip out on but could've. Outside of that, it's a fun game that is currently my favorite of the three mainline Mario games I've covered to this point. Mm-hmm.

Super Mario Bros. 2 Coin Total: 118
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Congrats, that was pretty neat!

Did you have to retry to do those no-hit runs of the levels? If yes, how often?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I had to retry a few. To speed things along, when I got to World 3, I recorded individual levels instead of all at once. The ones that gave me the most trouble were 5-2 and 6-1, both because of trying to get to that second Mushroom without getting hit. Doing the Mega Man Powered Up Challenge Mode videos that I still haven't started editing made me realize that it's okay to record in segments if it's more fun that way.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Shortcuts & Warps

With Subcon saved, it's time to go back and see how this grand tour could have been cut really short. There are plenty of skips to show off, and I'm here to show all of them that I know of. This is the last video for Mario and the crew, but we've still got one more video left before putting this project to bed. You'll see what that is then.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Doki Doki Panic and SMB2 are gameplay wise the same, but the characters are different, right?

Also here is the "weird" japanese commercial for the game:

Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic

Well, this game is similar to SMB2 like you were saying, but it's also kind of different aside from the roster change. Level design is practically the same, but at the same time, tackling the levels can be a whole new experience since this game's characters cannot run. This means momentum, outside of the ice world, is practically nonexistent. It makes this a harder game in some ways, but it's also easier since certain things have not been changed up to be more difficult like its NES successor would be. Anyway, it's how I wanted to cap off this series, and we'll do that here.

Oh, and I'm not going to count coins collected in this one since it wasn't Mario and the gang getting them. Peace!
Sorel
In the shadows

The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 2)

Post by Sorel »

I think I should give SMB2 another shot sometime. It's not one of my favourite games, but the gameplay is very interesting compared to other Mario games.

Also those sound effects in Doki Doki Panic were awful. Good thing they changed them...
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I know you said at the end of the video that this project is finished, but have you given any thought to doing a post-script video of the SMB2 prototype? It apparently hovers somewhere in between SMB2 and DDP, and would make for an interesting comparison case.

Overall, though, another enjoyable series of videos. It was fun revisiting an old favorite, and I look forward to your next project!
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread

Post by Bean »

I actually haven't even heard of that. Guess I should go take a look at it. One day, I intend to look at Deluxe and some of the Advance games, mainly because they all added a bunch of new modes to the mix. For now, I'm satisfied with how SMB2 turned out to leave it as is.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Fortune Street)

Post by Bean »

(1) Mario Circuit, Part One

Fortune Street was a pretty good board game, but since it came out after the great nine-month drought of 2011, I'm not too sure how many people picked this one up. I recorded this one last fall with a capture card that a friend got me. Since I didn't want to put it work on NSMB Wii or a Galaxy game until I knew what I was doing, this wound up being my choice. Good call since I recorded it in the wrong resolution at the time. Oops! Well, the game's fun at the very least, so here's the first of six parts in this silent playthrough.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Mario Circuit, Part Two

With just about all of the buildings being bought up in this part, the true game of managing money begins. Will you stick to putting all your eggs in one basket or spread them out throughout the map? This time around, all the properties were divided up pretty evenly between everyone. All players have at least one District with two properties in it, but no one has one with three. That means that the haves and have nots won't be decided until more money is pumped into what each player owns. In other words, this will be a close game for a while here.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Mario Circuit, Part Three

Part three shows how the game can start to turn through luck thanks to Venture Cards. Mario becomes both a victim and beneficiary in this part, for instance, and that forces some other dude that's randomly entered the Mushroom Kingdom for this board game to make a move of his own to try and keep up the pace. Then there's also everyone trying to make more cash by upgrading their own properties and stocks in the process. Fortune Street's generally slow until everything's been bought. Now that it has, scores are going to start going up quickly from here on out.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Mario Circuit, Part Four

While everyone might own a lot of properties, this video is where we'll see which people know what to do with them and which ones don't. If you own a ton of stock at this point which you probably should unless you've already been heavily investing into buildings, this is when you put all of that money into said heavy investing. The weaker computer players will make smaller investments, but Mario and myself? We know what we're doing... even if yours truly is struggling to keep pace for the majority of this part. I'm working on it.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Mario Circuit, Part Five

With some spaces on the board being in the high hundreds if a competitor lands on them, a lot of money will be switching hands here. This is both good and bad for this Bean dude who starts the video doing well only to get punched back down and have to pick himself up all in the span of about five to ten minutes. It's kind of crazy how even the game is because usually the lower-ranked opponents don't make the right moves. In this case, because they've been maxing out their properties slowly but surely, it's now become a three-person race to the goal. Who gets there? You'll find out next time. Mm-hmm.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Mario Circuit, Part Six

When you reach the target amount on a board, you're still not finished as you have to make it back to the bank to declare your victory. A few things can happen at this point that can knock you right back under the total amount if your competitors can get you to land on their spaces. That sort of happens to me, and that's why this finish is a pretty close one. Who's going to win?!

Ahem. I want to come back to this game between projects, although next time, I think I'll actually talk over it a bit. Might be a little more interesting for people that way. Mm-hmm.