(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros.)

Post by Bean »

(7) World 7

It's tough to type stuff up sometimes when half of the world has the exact same layout you've done before, but here we are! The last world to recycle stages packs its levels with a ton of enemies... until we run through the emptiest castle in the entire game. I don't get that. Next world is the last one, although it won't be the final video of the series. See you then!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) World 8

Time to go save Princess Toadstool to cap off the main run for this series! It's about what you would expect for a final world, seeing as how you'll run across every enemy type on your way to the final showdown with Bowser. He's got two ways to put the hurt on Mario, but the same old strategy is going to serve you well, and it did for me. I win!

Still have a couple of videos left here. I'll be tackling warp pipes and the Minus World next time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Warp Zones & The Minus World

I bet everyone here knows where the warp zones are in Super Mario Bros. I would also guess many of you have been to or heard of the Minus World before. Instead of just doing that, I also wanted to put in footage from the Famicom Disk System version of the game because its Minus World is a very, very strange place.

Next time is the last time for this series as Luigi races through the second quest of the game!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) The Second Quest [Luigi Run]

Time to wrap up this first Super Mario series by letting the main man's little bro have a chance to take the spotlight. It's not all that different from the way things were the first time around, so this final video gives me the chance to talk about what I think about the game as I go through it.

I'll be back with a shorter series next month that puts Mario into the handheld world. Peace!

SMB Coin Total: 821
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Land)

Post by Bean »

(1) World 1 - Birabuto Kingdom

Mario's back once again to rescue a princess, but this time it's a different one from a different villain. Sarasaland has been taken over thanks to an alien invasion, and it's up to the portly plumber to run through Princess Daisy's four kingdoms and take down Tatanga!

The desert kingdom of Birabuto is our first stop on the tour through this strange new land, and it's what you would expect from a World 1. The enemies are easy, the goodies are plentiful, and the pits are fewer and farther between. I don't think many will have a problem here.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Yay! You finally put the new video up! Been waiting on this for a while.

Man, Super Mario Land. Old school nostalgia, to the extreme. The graphics are so simplistic and primitive, but that's always felt like part of the game's charm to me. As is the fact that the instruction manual used the Japanese names for some reason. So I always knew the enemies in that game as "Chibibo", "Nokobon", "Pakkun Flower", etc. Memories.

I actually didn't know about that second elevator block in 1-3, and always wondered how to get to that upper pipe, so hey, I learned something new! (I did, however, know about the *first* one.)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I do like a lot of the original names more, too. The other thing I don't think I've said yet is that I've been using a site called Mario Universe for stage maps so I can plot my recording runs out as best I can. I know some secrets to these games, but I definitely don't know everything going in.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) World 2 - Muda Kingdom

We go from the land of sand to one covered entirely by water this time around. Muda Kingdom would be a problem if the enemies were programmed more aggressively. Since they're not, we get to have some fun here. I'm a fan of the submarine stage that caps off World 2. You can bet this kind of gimmick will return later in the playthrough, but that's a story for another video.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) World 3 - Easton Kingdom

Easton Kingdom is where our rocky road truly begins as I think it's the hardest of the four worlds overall. It's mostly because the jumps are very tight while the physics are not. Chances are, you'll just miss a jump or more because of that. It makes sense that the game's platforming gets more perilous... which is a direct contrast to our boss who is actually helping us out a lot today!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) World 4 - Chai Kingdom

Princess Daisy and her captor await high in the skies of Chai, but it will take a little fancy footwork and flying to reach them! Thankfully, the jumps in this fourth and final kingdom don't make me all nervous like they were in the last video.

Tatanga brings a battleship to the final showdown, but good gravy does it go down quick if you have a quick trigger finger. Thanks to some other games from a particular series I used to do on here, I think I'll mange. The name of it is escaping me... Oh well!

Still have one more video left with this one before I take another much-wanted break.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) One Last Look - Hard Mode

While I knew Super Mario Bros. had a second quest thing going for it if you beat it, I didn't know the same held true for this game until I was getting ready to upload its first video. Whoops! Let's correct that mistake with a quick attempt while dishing out some thanks to the sites and people that have made these first few series fun to do for the time being.

Next time this gets going, Mario's going to show that heroes do rest... They just go on big adventures while they do!

SML Coin Total: 2048
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

You know, I'm not actually sure why I decided randomly to watch *your* videos, over the dozens of other LP threads going on here... but I feel as though I chose wisely. This whole series has actually been a lot of fun to watch, bringing back all sorts of fond childhood memories... as well as teaching me all sorts of secrets about these old games I wasn't even aware of. I had no idea the hard mode existed in SML, either.

Not sure where Mario's adventures will take him next (though I have an idea!), but as long as you keep making these videos, I'll keep watching 'em!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

When I first got on here, I actually tried to follow every thread in this section. That wound up being just too many people to watch, though, so I had to pick and choose. The fact that I can get at least one (and I know it's more) watching this is nice because I know not everyone's in to reading text over a platformer, and I only know of one other person that does it on a regular basis in Pink.

Anyway, thanks. Those kind of comments are always nice to read. I'll keep this going for whenever I feel like investing more of my free time into it. For now, it's break time, yo!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Vs. SMB & SMB Special)

Post by Bean »

(1) Vs. Super Mario Bros.
(2) Super Mario Bros. Special

Hey, I remember this thread! Welcome back to some more Mario action. Going to take a look at some games from the 1980s with this franchise that aren't mainline titles, so let's do that. Vs. Super Mario Bros. gives people their first taste at a "lost" game in the series and Super Mario Bros. Special is a game that I wish would have stayed lost after playing it. Oy.

Not ready to make this series fully public yet and won't be until I get a few more videos done, but there's no reason why I can't post them here as I get them edited.
YelseyKing

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Vs. SMB & SMB Special)

Post by YelseyKing »

Hey, this is back. Excellent!

Hot damn, SMB Special was terrible. I wonder if that lag was present in the actual game, or if it was just the emulator you used. Either way, blech. The sad part is, with all the extras you mentioned, like enemies from Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong reappearing, as well as entirely new stages, this *could* have been awesome... if only it'd been competent. And hey, this manages to unseat Rockman and Forte: Challenger from the Future as the worst game you've video-played. :P

Vs. SMB looked pretty interesting, though. Kind of an SMB1 for pros sort of thing. I believe someone hacked that game to work on NES hardware/emulators not too long ago, which was kinda interesting.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: SMB2 [Japan] & SM Sweater)

Post by Bean »

(3) Super Mario Bros. 2 [Japan]
(4) I am a Teacher: Super Mario's Sweater

With some tech troubles out of the way, it's time for another double feature. The first game is Japan's Super Mario Bros. 2, known here as The Lost Levels. This game will get a full look when we hit the SNES era, so think of that one as a preview of things to (eventually) come. Super Mario's Sweater is a very obscure game thanks to being a sewing tutorial sim. Yeah... Next.
Last edited by Bean 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Punch-Out!!)

Post by Bean »

(5) Punch-Out!!

Punch-Out!! is a fun game, and I'm glad that Mario decided to take up being the referee so that I can actually play it. You'll need good reflexes and memorization if you want to get to the end of this one, and after we do a normal attempt, I'll take on the final fight because that's the kind of challenge I like putting myself through. It was a long video to work on, but I think it's worth it!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: FG Prix: F1 Race)

Post by Bean »

(6) Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race

Time for the first of two straight racing game videos on the Famicom Disk System, and this one is more of a track-based title. We'll cover the first leg of the journey across four races and do our best to keep up with the front of the pack. That goes better than others at times, but yeah, this game turned out to be better than I thought it would. Go figure!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: FG Prix II: 3D Hot Rally)

Post by Bean »

(7) Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally

This Famicom Grand Prix sequel puts Mario & Luigi out on the open road in an arcade-style checkpoint racer. I find this one to be more fun to play since you're racing the clock instead of other drivers, and the backgrounds change enough to keep things from getting stale. Either way, both wound up being fun games that made me forget about Super Mario's Sweater until I typed this sentence out. Oops.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Alleyway)

Post by Bean »

(8) Alleyway

Time to head back to the Game Boy, our fifth and final system that this series will cover. The first of our last three videos in this series is about a launch title that takes more than a few cues from Atari's Breakout. I wound up liking this one more than I thought I would just because of how easy it went. Why can't they all be this way?
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Baseball, Tennis, & Golf [GB])

Post by Bean »

(9) Baseball, Tennis, & Golf [GB]

In the home stretch now by taking care of three games in one go here. Baseball is considered a slow-pace affair by many not named me in real life, but the actual game doesn't make a good argument for me. Tennis is much improved from the NES days and happens to be my favorite title of the three here. On the other hand, Golf is more of a step sideways as you still don't know how far your shots will go.

While .333 is a great baseball average, it's not so good when you're talking about the percentage of how many games are actually fun in this video. Oops. Tetris finishes this series off next time.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Question for ya Bean, have you played any of the mario tennis' before?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. I've played the N64, Gamecube, and 3DS ones. I'm more of a Mario Golf guy, actually!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh man you missed the best two mario tennis' in my opinion. The ones for the GBC and GBA both have an RPG style mode to them with a story and leveling system.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I didn't really get into playing handhelds until the DS came out. Now that seems to be all I ever play. Well, the idea's to go through as many of these games as possible, so I'll get to them eventually. Thank goodness I won't always be going in order, or I'd go nuts.