(shouting)

The Mario Megathread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: The Mario Megathread

Post by YelseyKing »

I watched the video earlier, and figured I'd offer my comments here, since... I don't have an account anywhere else you'd be. :P

First... man, sorry to hear about your rough 2015. My 2016 is shaping up to be "one of those years" thus far, so I can sympathize.

Second... heh, I have my own story about a "cursed" game...

Lagoon, a mediocre SNES action-RPG. Every time I play it, bizarrely bad things happen.

The first time I rented it as a kid, the next day, our backyard was overtaken by a swarm of killer bees, which had been running rampant in Arizona, where I lived, at the time. No one was hurt, but it was scary as hell.

I rented it a while later, and that night, my mother ended up in the hospital, with what turned out to be blood in her stomach. Seems some medicine she was taking was eating away at her stomach lining. *shiver* She fully recovered, but again, scary.

That alone was enough to convince me the game was cursed for many years. But eventually, I decided to give it one more shot, figuring that my superstition was silly. I downloaded a ROM and started it, and within days, while not as bad as what happened before, a house we were mere days away from moving into was pulled out from under us for some contrived reason I don't recall exactly, leaving us trapped with an unpleasant roommate for at least another year.

It was after that, that I deleted the ROM and all traces of it from my computer and swore I'd never play it again. Clearly, the gods do *not* want me playing Lagoon.

The game kinda sucks, really, so no big loss.

Third, regarding the "Shovel Knight/Freedom Planet" thing... hrm. I'm leaning towards Freedom Planet, because *all three* of the LPers I follow (raocow, Roahm Mythril, and Pink Kitty Rose) have done Shovel Knight. Mind, if you *want* to do Shovel Knight, I'd hardly object, because that game is teh awweeeessssuuuuummm, but I've never seen Freedom Planet in action, so that'd be cool.

And finally... looking forward to the future Mario projects. I'm enjoying your Lost Levels run (I haven't posted, but I *have* been following it), even though like you, I'm not wild about the game itself. SMB3 is especially going to be fun. I absolutely love that game. Still my favorite of the 2D Mario games.

Yup.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread

Post by Bean »

Jeez. That is rough. I guess if it's any consolation, this year has been better for the most part outside of the one day where I thought about recording Powered Up again the night before only to have the next day be the worst of 2016. That was when I went "nope" and just decided I don't want to do this for a while. Things will eventually get better if you don't give up, though, and I can tell you there were times starting from last summer on where I wanted to do just that. Finally worked out last month, and it's been better since. Good luck to you, Yelsey.

So thanks to you and anybody that watched that last one. I don't like talking about me all that much in a video, but it's a look into why I've taken long breaks from things I actually like playing. Powered Up, and the classic series as a whole since 2010, has just been cursed like that when it's a text box playthrough. I have to come back and finish it off eventually... just not now.

Anyway, I promise to do SMB3 as the next mainline game, but I'll probably be silly and do a couple of things out of order first. I kind of have videos from last spring on my computer (Super Mario Kart, more Fortune Street) that I'd like to put up first. NSMB from Oct./Nov. 2013 when things got back to normal after the classic curse struck again that year will continue to wait. As for this, see you all Wednesday night!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels)

Post by Bean »

(10) World A

Time to begin Lost Levels' second quest which is actually different from how SMB1 did it. There are new level layouts and traps to go along with the usual speeding up of enemies, and in World A's case, that makes things kind of fun. Definitely my favorite of the four bonus worlds here, so let's see if we can get on track and finish this off. Just let me beat this potential flu off first. Oops.

Edit: Also, I just finally noticed my typo of leaving out the period after the Bros. in this thread. Huh. Well, let's keep it that way for posterity's sake. Sure, why not?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) World B

World B is the most there world in all of Lost Levels because it does nothing either good or bad to stand out outside of one thing. In that regard, it's just like World 6 in SMB1 for me. It exists. If that's not a tagline to get people in here to watch this video, then it's something. That has to count on the board somewhere, right? Maybe? Ugh, thanks for not helping my cause here, World B, the most forgettable place.

Since B-4 contains the game's last warp zone, the one level that has the "one thing" I mentioned earlier, we'll take a break from the main run to show off all the silly skips we could take in our Lost Levels adventure next time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Warp Zones

A single clip show video isn't going to make me lose my mind, but the way Lost Levels' warps work just might. Unlike SMB1, these things are everywhere. Slightly exaggerating, but 11 of them in the game's first 44 stages is a pretty high number. Since it's a backtracking episode, I'll go through these with both brothers and actually thank the game for letting me start from specific stages to make this speed by. I won't thank our reward for warping forward even once or a certain skip being made inaccessible thanks to sprite limitations, but that gave me the chance to play around with Camtasia Studio 8 for a bit. That reward made making this tolerable. Yeah.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13) World C

You know what world I don't like in the main run? It's World 7. You know which world this one pays homage to in the second half? World C. That "C" might as well stand for copy with all the repetitive scenarios we'll be going through that will bring up memories of 4-3, 7-3, and 7-4 today. Well, the castle is made much harder thanks to a small change. If you've played this game before, you know I'm talking about C-4's deadly Firebar trap. Getting in and out of that second one without taking a hit is the hardest thing to do in the game, so we'll naturally do it twice because showing what to do is sort of what I try to do. Next time's the final time in this series. Thankfully, it's better than this. Whew.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(14) World D

World D feels like the finale you'd want to see from this game even if it does have a couple of silly moments. Still, they're nothing compared to the nonsense that ended the main game, so I definitely find the second quest's finale to be more enjoyable than the first's, that's for sure. Honestly, this series went by well, but I really do wonder if anyone likes this game in the first place. All of the comments have mostly called this game out, and I give my own similar opinions throughout the video. It's like people enjoyed the series in spite of the game I was playing here! Either way, I'll be back in a couple of weeks after hinting at the next project. As for this game, it can now get lost again. Later.

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels Coin Total: 1099
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Seems like I'm the only regular poster in this thread other than Bean, heh. Well. I don't have a YouTube account, so... yeah.

Well, that you managed to make an enjoyable series out of a decidedly *not* very enjoyable game ranks right up there with raocow's Vip2 LP. Congrats on beating that behemoth. I took it on a couple years ago, but decided to just say the hell with it and abuse savestates, just so I could see the latter stages.

I totally agree that it comes across as a bad ROM hack, and... in some ways, that's kinda what it *was*. From what I understand, Miyamoto had no involvement with the game whatsoever, after all. There are debates as to why Doki Doki Panic was reskinned and released in English as SMB2 instead of Nintendo just releasing this one, but I imagine it was more along the lines of "this is exactly the same game as SMB1, but much harder, and mostly in the wrong ways". I'm not sure I buy into the "it was too hard for American gamers" theory, because there were many tougher games that saw unedited releases (or releases that made them even *harder*) outside of Japan. For better or worse (and I'm firmly on the "for better" side), the SMB2 we got was a completely different experience, and it's one I enjoyed considerably more than the one Japan had to settle for.

Surprisingly, I actually had a friend who not only liked Lost Levels, but she liked it *more* than our SMB2. She was a huge fan of SMB1, and was simply happy to see more stages that used the same engine, cheap difficulty be damned. Fair enough, though, I suppose.

Anyhow, looking forward to your next project, and I'm glad this one went well for you!

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Other people drop in from time to time, but you are the most frequent poster in this thread outside of me. Either way, I appreciate it whenever my long string of posts is broken by someone else. Makes me feel like I'm not just talking to myself, so thanks.

Man, I'm the exact opposite of your friend. I think the SMB1 engine is one of the worst ones next to the original Super Mario Land. Give me SMB3, World, or the NSMB stuff over it any day. Lost Levels on the SNES has a couple of differences like breaking through blocks instead of bouncing off them as Super/Fire Mario, but all those design decisions kill the fun for me. I'm glad I went back to this and found that the game isn't so hard as it is stupid. I think I also despise it since it does remind me of all the bad hacks out there I've seen played over the years.

Recording this was so weird. I expected the worst, but a lot of these videos took less time than some of the later Challenge Mode videos did in Powered Up. World 5 and 6 were around 40-45 minutes each, World 8 was around an hour, and this final one took about 90 minutes since I wanted to not get hit in the final level. Glad I didn't cheat the system a bit like I did with SMB2 by doing full world recordings instead of just individual level ones. It shows how awake and sometimes lucky you need to be to get through these things in one piece.

Anyhoo, I'll end this off by posting a Mario game ranking list sorter that you all can do if you want. I think it's fifty questions long. I did this a few months back and messed up my own personal rankings a bit, but you can see all nineteen games in full if you click on the picture in that link. See you for Super Mario Kart, although I'll probably start things off with another racer that has nothing to do with Mario at all. Go figure.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: F-Zero)

Post by Bean »

(Bonus) F-Zero

Before I get into my totally super secret racing series from the Super Nintendo era, I want to take a look at another game in the genre that predates it. F-Zero was an awesome launch title that took great advantage of the SNES' Mode 7 graphics. I really enjoyed this one as a kid outside of this one freaking jump in White Land II. Well, the good news is that I'm playing in the Knight League, so I won't have to worry about that. Instead, have fun viewing five races of fictional futuristic racing action.

Also wondering if I should go with text box and silent videos for the next series or just go with the usual text box stuff even though a multiplayer racer ain't exactly the best idea for that sort of thing. Oh well, it's not like I haven't done this style with platformers, another genre that isn't regularly suited for text boxes. So... yeah. Either way, I'll see you in or right before April.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Kart)

Post by Bean »

(1) Mushroom Cup [50cc]

Whoa! The mystery racing game was Super Mario Kart all along. I don't believe it... that I recorded this last June or so and am just getting around to editing it now anyway.

Anyhoo, my bro who I have yet to give a nickname to is joining me in on this series, not that you'll hear him since I'm using text. We'll be doing each cup just once, and we'll be playing through the game's three difficulty classes as we do. Might as well cover the basics in the most basic mode there is with the 50cc Mushroom Cup. My personal favorite track's in this course, and that's a good thing for reasons that will become obvious during this first video. It's green flag time. Let's go!
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Heh. Your bro's pretty good at this game. He pretty well smoked yo' ass, ehehe.

Man. I mostly missed out on the original Mario Kart as a kid (I did play it, but only on rentals; I never owned it), but I feel like the series really picked up at the N64 version. My mother and I play Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash quite often... fun times. Still, props to the original for spawning a completely new racing subgenre. Nintendo seems to have quite a way of making certain genres more accessible; I don't care much for "realistic" racing games (my mother and I, many years back, got some NASCAR game for PSX, but found it very boring compared to Mario Kart and similar games), but the mascot kart racer type is a blast. Looking forward to the rest of this series, and... well, good luck in future races! :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. I could never get into the Gran Turismos of the world. Give me crazy, stupid fun racers over the ones trying to be more authentic any day. Think my favorites are three of the Mario Karts (including this one), Diddy Kong Racing, and the first Sonic All-Stars one. Second one was tough to see the road/track in certain races with all those neon effects, but yeah. It felt like just about every company tried to make a game in this genre at some point. It was insane.

Trying for weekly updates since it's been tougher finding the time and energy to edit. Halfway done with the third video now at least.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Flower Cup [100cc]

Now we take the training wheels off and play on the game's normal difficulty setting. Speaking of settings, there's only one new course location in this cup with Choco Island, and that track is my favorite of these five. That said, it was also the reason why I had to up the video quality and text box size in the end because my goodness, YT's encoder made this video and my boxes look like garbage in 480p for reasons I'll never understand.

Anyway, yeah! Flower Cup, supposedly in 60FPS! Whoa.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Star Cup [100cc]

The Star Cup's going to feature two of the final three course settings we have yet to see, sport a noticeable difficulty curve as we go along, and have the closest non-competitive competition my brother and I have had yet, and . It gets kind of rough when the track gets tight and the AI decides that it's now the time to screw you over, and there a couple of times on these tracks where the computer does just that to the both of us.

I don't know how many watching cared for these friendly co-op sessions, but I had a blast. Still, this is the last time my brother will be in one of these cups as I'll be doing the final one alone, so the last bit of this cup is more thanking him for being a part of it. He'll be back for Battle Mode anyway to cap off the series, so it's not like he's gone for good. In any case, before either of those things, I'll show off some other single player stuff because I wouldn't be able to use all eight drivers before that last vid. Go figure.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Solo Shenanigans & Time Trial Mode

So Super Mario Kart kind of has eight racers, but because of the Special Cup run being solo, that was going to leave one driver, Donkey Kong Jr., off the track. That's why I'm doing this quick video to show off one race for real, what failure looks like in this game, and then playing a Time Trial race because I don't see me covering that part of any other Mario Kart after this one.

Next time, our last character from my least favorite class of drivers gets to take on the hardest cup on the toughest difficulty. Oh boy.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Special Cup [150cc]

Time for the main event! The Special Cup, with one lone exception, features some of the hardest tracks in the game. Couple that with bumping things up to where the AI is its fastest in the 150cc class, and you've got yourself the makings of a really tough time. The computer will do things you can only dream of to catch up or stay in the race, and believe me, they will make racing life rough on one Princess Toadstool. It probably doesn't help that she and Yoshi are the two drivers I really struggle with in this game, and we've seen that I'm not exactly the best player in the world (or my own family) to begin with!

Win or lose, this is the final Grand Prix mode video of the series, but there's still one last thing to cover in Super Mario Kart. Yeah, we'll finish things off with Battle Mode next time. Might as well ask what I do on the description of the video here. What are your favorite kart racing games of all-time?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

"Thank you so much for to playing-a my game!"

Man, that was heartwrenching watching you blow that huge lead on Vanilla Lake 2. But the thrilling win on Rainbow Road made up for it... I've *never* finished that track without falling off at least a hundred times. :P

As for other mascot kart-racing games... the only other ones I've even *played* are Kirby Air Ride and Chocobo Racing. Both were pretty fun, but Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash will always be my faves. But only multiplayer. Single player Mario Kart is so painful. The AI cheats so incredibly blatantly. If you're to, for example, take that massive shortcut on N64's Koopa Beach all three laps on Grand Prix mode, the AI will *still* be right on your ass at the end of the race. They literally hit speeds *far* beyond what a human could, can take corners perfectly, even while well beyond top speed (and never messing up unless you force it), and can use items whenever and wherever they want, and that's never struck me as fair. Or fun. That and the fact that it's not so much a free-for-all, as it is seven (or nine, in some later games, apparently) against one, with even the last place driver doing nothing but attempting to hinder *you*. Bleh. I *still* haven't unlocked everything in Double Dash because of that...

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The N64 one is easily the cheapest of them all. That AI uses items they don't have and gets to go in draft boost speed constantly to catch up or pull away. I think this is the video that shows the cheating in detail.

Funnily enough, Double Dash is one of the most fair ones. The CPU will still get blue shells, but it's not as silly as in the DS ones onward where you'll usually get item comboed. If you don't like DD for that stuff, steer clear of DS, Wii, 7, and 8. They love that stuff. At least you can see what items they have in those games, so they don't screw you over like they do in the earlier ones.

I answered the question in the comments of my own vid, but my favorite kart racers are Mario Kart 8 for the amount of tracks (48 after the DLC!), Double Dash for the co-op kart gimmick, Diddy Kong Racing for the Adventure Mode, and the first Sonic All-Stars one for the high quality single-player content. I guess Super Mario Kart would round out my top five because I can't think of any others I like more than it. Wait, I already answered this earlier on this page when I started the series. Oops.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Battle Mode

Here's the final video of this side series that has bro and I actually competing against each other for a change in Battle Mode. There are four courses, and we're taking a look at all of them in this best-of-five contest. You each get three balloons to start with, and every item you hit your opposition with pops one of theirs. It's a pretty simple concept that is kind of fun to play even when you're taking things as seriously as we are in this video... seriously. Ahem.

Anyway, that's all she wrote for this one. I don't know who she is, but yep. Thanks for watching, but even after teasing the next full series, I have a promise to get to before I come back to this. I say that, but I still expect to get around to some Fortune Street filler for this to finally get those vids off the hard drive and maybe one playthrough of that other series I play on the channel first. Fun times, but they're over.

Super Mario Kart Coin Total: 499 / Overall: 5049
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mario Megathread (NP: Super Mario Bros. 3)

Post by Bean »

(1) World 1 - Grass Land

I've been waiting to get to this game all year, and the time has finally come! Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my all-time favorite Mario games and for good reason. It just has so much more content than its predecessors did. In many ways, it has the most amount of content than any other 2D Mario to this day.

World 1 might be easy town, but there's so much to see that I don't think many will mind. I'll try to do my best to go exploring every nook and cranny that I can in the limited time I can do so. I thought about dividing worlds up into multiple videos, but I decided against it in the end this time. This means most vids in this series are going to be decently sized runs, around 20-30 minutes in length depending on the world.

And finally, I'll officially start this project on the 20th for everyone, but as always, there's no rule that says I can't put them up early for you all to see. I hope you do because I'm kind of excited about this series right now. I just hope it stays that way throughout!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) World 2 - Desert Land / Desert Hill

Just like in SMB2, SMB3 goes to sand land for its second world. There's no digging this time around, but there sure is a lot of heat to try and beat. It's still easy enough to get through this, but I think the two specialty stages are where most newer players are going to mess up. Yeah, the quicksand and pyramid levels do things a bit unconventionally. On top of that, they're the two easiest levels to get hit in.

Still, this is just a Mario desert level in the end. So even with all the new enemies and obstacles, it's still on the easier side of the difficulty scale. Expect that to change next time. Also, thanks to two different translations for this and every world from here on out, I'll be using both names in the title. Makes sense to me anyway.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Hah. You start the N-Spade mini-game the same exact way I do (very first card, then the second one from the left on the bottom row). That was a strategy I devised as a kid, since I learned from experience that five of the eight possible boards have a match on those two cards. I never exactly memorized what all the layouts were, but I knew from doing that, I'd have a solid chance of getting at least *one* match.

Also, since you pointedly ignored the whistles in World 1, I assume there will be a post-game bonus video showing them and the Warp Zone off?

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. That's the same thing I did as a kid since five of the eight setups have it work out like that. Here are all eight solutions. As for your other question, I'm thinking more in the middle of the playthrough after World 4 along with a look at how a two-player game works. That's the only thing I haven't recorded yet, though, so who knows for sure?

(3) World 3 - Water Land / Sea Side

And this is where the difficulty curve in Mario 3 goes up in a noticeable way. Making nearly a whole world out of water levels in some fashion proves to be a pain enough in its own right, but there's plenty of new trouble lurking about in the depths to add to that frustration. The two stages with the tides rising and lowering have the absolute worst problem for the good guys. Probably hurts that I get stressed out whenever I see enemies like that thanks to an old phobia. At least this is the only world you'll have that problem to deal with. We also get a look at one of Mario's three special suits in this game that makes swimming stages a bit easier, so it's not all bad today. Whew.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Ah, world 3. Where the difficulty starts to pick up. Then it goes down again in world 4. Go fig. It's a good thing Boss Bass only appears in two stages in the entire game... and that he's not as broken, glitchy, and overall cheap as he is in SMW hacks. When I first played the game as a kid, I really expected it to resurface in a later world, but thankfully, nope.

Also, there were a couple 1-up farming spots in world 3 of note. In stage 3-4, you can get a koopa to bounce back and forth in the area with the P-Switch, taking out spiny eggs. Slow, but it works. Also in 3-7; get a koopa bouncing between the two blocks next to the vine, hop on it, then jump back to the vine. It's not counted as touching the ground, so you'll rack up points and eventually lives doing that. That was one of my favorite methods as a kid, because it didn't require any timing shenanigans. You probably knew about both of these, but you know. :P

Finally, that graphic glitch where one of the bushes turned into a green brick in 3-6 was amusing.

... oh. And not in the game itself, but in Nintendo Power's SMB3 guide, there's an amusing error in the world 4 section:

Looks like a tiny Wendy O. Koopa graphic. How it got there is anyone's guess. But I had that guide as a kid, and always found it funny.

Moists: