(shouting)

Spyro 3 (and several pages of Depression Idol)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: -

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I like how "Most likely to complain" originated from the 2012 mosts as a joke/reference to that one post Ashanmaril made that highlighted every post by Bartle as "COMPLAINING" (can't seem to find it anymore sadly) but now it has apparently devolved into "who do you hate"??

I mean, come on now. If you didn't notice, we don't do negative mosts because it's an event where you're supposed to have fun and in no way a flame pit (unconceivable, I know). The only reason "Most likely to complain" reappeared in 2013/2014 in the first place is because anomaly reposts every category from one year to another, including the 2012 "most likely to complain" which existed as a this one reference. I honestly thought everyone in the thread this year (bar one or 2 people whose posts in this thread I didn't really like...) was joking, but more importantly that doctor shemp was taking it lightly as a joke as well

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Besides that, let's be honest, the beta testing process was us - and a few others, like Voltgloss - attempting to bend the project away from its original vision (creativity first and foremost, fun for raocow) towards our vision (creativity constrained by functionality, fun for everyone). Ultimately we failed in that. We made a game that was still way too much of the former to appeal to non-raocow fans or even to some raocow fans - see the whole furore about the cutscenes, for example - yet skewed it enough to the latter to offend a good dozen or so contributors.
We all made some questionable decisions. I can never understand though, why the creativity would be such a bad thing. It was our right to change the little things to our liking in order to make the game more fun to ourselves and, in extension to raocow. I may have used the "fun for everyone" card to justify it to myself. I'm to blame for some of the cutscenes (lullaby reference) and literally including an area just for raocow quotes in the castle of no significance. Even if it is not for everyone, I did my best for making it good for me and the vision I believed in. That included making some levels easier and more "fun" to play for most people, including raocow. I did not complain about long cutscenes or their order either. There are not many levels I did not touch at some point of the development of the first episode.

It was very time consuming work though, so I can understand why it would not work for everyone. The resulting drama from those choices was a little disheartening at first too.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Your concerns about cinematX are reasonable -- I've probably put too much emphasis on the static, RPG-esque aspects of the engine so that's no doubt what many people are going to use it for, and it honestly bothered me a bit too that I was holding back the production of A2XT with this thing. But the framework is out now and it's capable of more than just cutscenes -- it's got a more user-friendly timing system and a wrapper class for NPCs that makes them easier to manipulate individually and override their animation. You can also specify whether a given sequence interrupts gameplay or runs parallel to it. My hope is that folks will use it to create more dynamic levels in SMBX like race/chase/escape sequences, complex boss battles, etc. and not just bad Mario fanfics. It's probably going to be added to the MaGL devkit soon, so we'll see how this pans out...

As for the topic at hand, I wasn't all that familiar with MrDeePay's reputation. I voted for you because, in my experience at the time, you seemed most likely to complain about something. It's that simple. That's not to say that's a bad thing -- even if I don't always agree with you I still respect and admire your blunt honesty. I believe I've said as much before, and if not then I have now.

Apologies if this is just adding to the discomfort... I'm not going to lie and say this post isn't my own thinly-veiled attempt to get you to reconsider since I definitely don't want to see you go. But ultimately I'd rather you do what you feel is best for yourself than stick around just because we selfishly ask you to.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Well your core thesis seems to be that you're leaving because people want you to go...

can you name a single user who wants you to go though? 'cuz i can't.

(MrDeePay though...)
I am not going to publicly escalate drama any further. What you're asking me to do is essentially the forum equivalent of scrambling the bombers.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Scrambling (also known as alpine scrambling) is a method of ascending rocky faces and ridges?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Willhart wrote:Scrambling (also known as alpine scrambling) is a method of ascending rocky faces and ridges?
Scramble in the sense of "an emergency take-off by military aircraft to be prepared to face a combat situation immediately if necessary". It's as provocative as it sounds, especially if done by a nuclear power.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Willhart wrote:Scrambling (also known as alpine scrambling) is a method of ascending rocky faces and ridges?
Scramble in the sense of "an emergency take-off by military aircraft to be prepared to face a combat situation immediately if necessary". It's as provocative as it sounds, especially if done by a nuclear power.
Ok, that makes more sense. Google translate could not translate that one.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:Well your core thesis seems to be that you're leaving because people want you to go...

(MrDeePay though...)
I am not going to publicly escalate drama any further. What you're asking me to do is essentially the forum equivalent of scrambling the bombers.
To be honest, it seems like holding back information regarding your perception of other people would just lead to more distrust and misunderstanding in the future.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I... somehow I think Horikawa's question was meant to be rhetorical.
Then again, I've been misinterpreting a lot of stuff today so *shrug*.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Jesuiscontent wrote: I mean, come on now. If you didn't notice, we don't do negative mosts because it's an event where you're supposed to have fun and in no way a flame pit (unconceivable, I know). The only reason "Most likely to complain" reappeared in 2013/2014 in the first place is because anomaly reposts every category from one year to another, including the 2012 "most likely to complain" which existed as a this one reference. I honestly thought everyone in the thread this year (bar one or 2 people whose posts in this thread I didn't really like...) was joking, but more importantly that doctor shemp was taking it lightly as a joke as well
I just like to suggest categories from past years that I think are good and worth having again. I too thought that "Most likely to complain" was a lighthearted joke, much like "Worst poster" etc., but apparently some people have started referring to this label during debates and whatnot, almost as an ad hominem.

Past mosts worked out fine, even with seemingly negative categories, because people were chill about it. The votes were still made with a party time mindset and the ones nominated generally didn't mind. It's unfortunate that some of the threads in 2014 mosts felt very non-friendly, with people genuinely making harsh comments.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Doctor Shemp wrote:1. I did not make this decision on Ditocoaf's post alone: it is obvious that Ditocoaf was the only one prepared to say what most are thinking, even if he is equivocating it now. The results of "Most Likely to Complain" which has and always will be a proxy for "User I Most Want to Leave" demonstrate that.
The feeling of not being wanted somewhere is really crappy, and I'm sorry you feel that way.

Yeah, sometimes you nitpick or get too worked up over things. I've seen you get angry over stuff and just let that take over. There are definitely people who you don't get along with here. A lot of this stuff, at least from what I've seen, seems to have been increasing in frequency in the last few months as well. I dunno if personal stuff plays into that, but I don't plan to pry.

All of that said, that doesn't mean that everyone here wants you to leave. The people here "singing your praises," wouldn't be doing so without reason. I don't think they're the minority, either. We're a pretty small community to begin with. Unless you mean the masses of ghost accounts or people with double-digit post counts that flood in and leave as quickly as they came, there really aren't a large number of others to think you should leave to begin with, as in your Prime Minister comparison.

Personally, I think you could stand to take a few deep breaths once in a while and pick your battles a bit more carefully. That's it, though. You bring interesting conversation to the table and genuinely improve the projects you work on. Who cares if the beta testing work moved A2XT from its original vision? It's better for it. Putting ASMBXT and A2XT side-by-side, the latter is way better, and the work done to weed out the crap was huge in making that happen.

I can't tell you to stay, and I didn't set out to get you to do so. I can't blame you for wanting to leave if you feel so awful about the place. That's your decision to make. Still, nothing you've done should justify you feeling like the whole forum wants you gone. A large number of us don't want that, more than you realize, I think. In the end, do what's right for you, and if you do end up not coming back then I genuinely wish you the best of luck wherever else you go. I'd just like you to know that you don't have to feel like we all want you gone, because it isn't true.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Well, to be honest, Dr Shemp is a butt and quite annoying, but he is a good guy. Despite having a history of elitism and condensation, he has changed to be a much more tolerable person. He is also quite principled, which is a good thing in that he keep up to his own standards, which is nice as long as he isn't forceful about others living up to similar standards. This is Talkhaus, not bootcamp; it is important to keep up creativity at all cost as it's our life blood, even as we make products that require a high level of order.

I'm not sure what the balance will shift to in case of a departure, but I do, at the very least, value him as a creative level designer.

Oh god, why am I honest?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:condensation
i think you meant 'condenscion' but its better this way
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

ano0maly wrote:Past mosts worked out fine, even with seemingly negative categories, because people were chill about it. The votes were still made with a party time mindset and the ones nominated generally didn't mind. It's unfortunate that some of the threads in 2014 mosts felt very non-friendly, with people genuinely making harsh comments.
no they didnt lol
there was relatively little fallout due to mosts this year since the category voting did away with them
next time it'll probably be worth just banning them outright
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I never really was involved in most of the discussions and arguments in which you participated, but telling from what I read from time to time, eh, you're alright. It would be definitely sad for me if you leave, but I won't keep you from doing what you think is best.

If that is my last post addressed to you - take care.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

RenaBeach wrote:
ano0maly wrote:Past mosts worked out fine, even with seemingly negative categories, because people were chill about it. The votes were still made with a party time mindset and the ones nominated generally didn't mind. It's unfortunate that some of the threads in 2014 mosts felt very non-friendly, with people genuinely making harsh comments.
no they didnt lol
there was relatively little fallout due to mosts this year since the category voting did away with them
next time it'll probably be worth just banning them outright
Yummiest Drama and Most Memorable Event were pretty bad, with some other threads having smaller degrees of negative words. Instead of treating it like a popularity contest, people were using Mosts as a serious place of judgement on stuff.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You know what, I will answer this.

Here's a (probably incomplete, although erring on the side of inclusion) list in alphabetical order:
Bartle
Bwarch
bkamakaze
cheez8
Jesuiscontent
KobaBeach
Leet
LiAS
LovelyPenguin
Minnakht
Ningamer
Rena
sheps
Slit08
sloth
spitznagl
Vergalon
Wolfolotl
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Re: Spyro 3 (and several pages of Depression Idol)

Post by Dizzybelle »

w-wait what
why am i on that list

ive never wanted anybody to leave ;n;
ImageImageImage
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Some of those people don't really post that much. Have you been on the irc recently?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Willhart wrote:Some of those people don't really post that much. Have you been on the irc recently?
No, and you can add "everyone on the irc" to the list if they aren't there already, although the core are (assuming it's the same core).
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

What the fuck is this list and why am I on it

I never wanted you to leave and if I did I'd have banned you lomao

Also why is BARTLE on it he hasn't even come here in years

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Here's a (probably incomplete, although erring on the side of inclusion) list in alphabetical order:
KobaBeach

What the fuck is this list and why am I on it
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I never wanted you to leave and if I did I'd have banned you lomao
No, you wouldn't, because that's not how you and the rest of the IRC clique operate. Instead your group belittles and personally attacks as much as you want, usually passively aggressively, without consequence because the rules don't apply to you and your mates. And then when someone calls you out on it you feign this aura of innocence - "oh no, the mosts aren't negative at all despite about 15 categories (depending on your interpretation) being negative and filled with vitriolic posts" - call them delusional with some reaction image, and then tell them to fuck off back to 4chan without any sense of irony. And then you lock their threads, graveyard their posts, and drown them in a sea of warnings and tempbans until they leave of their own accord. And then you call them a martyr for doing so. Then there's no public blood on your hands, they look worse than ever, and you win anyway, because your clique always wins. And of course if you follow the party line you can be as vitriolic as you like without consequence, as Wolfolotl is currently demonstrating - you can tell people to fuck off and call them scum without getting so much as a warning, while the people telling xer to stop being aggressive are warned instead.

Most of the talkhaus avoids IRC because of your clique's elitist authoritarianism and your response to that is to make the talkhaus run on IRC lines. I joined raocow's talkhaus. That site no longer exists. This is now Rena's talkhaus. You are a bunch of passive aggressive hypocrites whose idea of free speech is "my right to say whatever I want whenever I want however I want, and your right to agree with me whenever I want", and you are a bunch of cowards for not admitting it.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:I never wanted you to leave and if I did I'd have banned you lomao
No, you wouldn't, because that's not how you and the rest of the IRC clique operate. Instead your group belittles and personally attacks as much as you want, usually passively aggressively, without consequence because the rules don't apply to you and your mates. And then when someone calls you out on it you feign this aura of innocence - "oh no, the mosts aren't negative at all despite about 15 categories (depending on your interpretation) being negative and filled with vitriolic posts" - call them delusional with some reaction image, and then tell them to fuck off back to 4chan without any sense of irony. And then you lock their threads, graveyard their posts, and drown them in a sea of warnings and tempbans until they leave of their own accord. And then you call them a martyr for doing so. Then there's no public blood on your hands, they look worse than ever, and you win anyway, because your clique always wins. And of course if you follow the party line you can be as vitriolic as you like without consequence, as Wolfolotl is currently demonstrating - you can tell people to fuck off and call them scum without getting so much as a warning, while the people telling xer to stop being aggressive are warned instead.

Most of the talkhaus avoids IRC because of your clique's elitist authoritarianism and your response to that is to make the talkhaus run on IRC lines. I joined raocow's talkhaus. That site no longer exists. This is now Rena's talkhaus. You are a bunch of passive aggressive hypocrites whose idea of free speech is "my right to say whatever I want whenever I want however I want, and your right to agree with me whenever I want", and you are a bunch of cowards for not admitting it.
good thing a lot of people except you got warned or banned

oh wait, nope

maybe if you stop making hateful and intolerant posts ppl will start to respect you more
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Haha, oh no, you've unmasked the Trans Illuminati, now the great boot of retribution shall fall upon you.

Man, I didn't want you to leave, but I was really hoping that previous episode would have inspired you to think twice before latching on to argument threads. There are a billion other things to do in thetalkhaus, and the only one that gets you, Shemp, widely scolded is when you go to argue about things you're not very familiar with. So what do you feel is the main thing you should spend your time doing?