(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Re: raocow Plays: ASMBXT World 3 exists? That's illogical!

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

Man, after seeing Revolution, all I can think about is Demo trying to play a violin with her feet. If I could art, I would probably art that. After all, it's canon! Although, given the nature of the stage and the music choice, I almost feel like that was meant to be a pun about Pachelbel.

Also, I'm appreciating the weird aesthetic gimmickyness of World Three thus far. A lot of the levels are based around one design philosophy -- spikes, discotheques, black and white, those SMB3 blocks, all that stuff. The eclecticness is quite charming. (Although, with a hub name like the Yoshi Asylum, I was half-expecting to see something akin to that one glue factory level in ASMT.)
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

TheVulpineHero1 wrote:
Also, I'm appreciating the weird aesthetic gimmickyness of World Three thus far. A lot of the levels are based around one design philosophy -- spikes, discotheques, black and white, those SMB3 blocks, all that stuff. The eclecticness is quite charming. (Although, with a hub name like the Yoshi Asylum, I was half-expecting to see something akin to that one glue factory level in ASMT.)
For whatever reason, worlds 3 and 4 have the most most interesting and gimmicky level design outside of "zebra space"
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

much to do about lava was so silly i made fanart of it
how to commit suicide in three easy steps.png
p.s. sa1 > sa2
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

aterraformer wrote:Music from Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest sure is lesser used. It took me a few minutes to figure out what song it was but once I did, a smile formed in my brain. I felt Revolution was cool at first but then got weird. Spiky Cave was just weird the whole time but I love silly platforming things!
FF:MQ music seems to be reasonably common in Talkhaus based things. I think there was a level or three in ASMT that had music from it as well as at least one of the entries of the first MAGL contest.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Alice wrote:FF:MQ music seems to be reasonably common in Talkhaus based things.
that's a good thing
ffmq has kick-ass music

i'm actually planning on playing it after i finish ff5 and ff6, just for the music

i added three of its songs to my cool vgm playlist
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

I agree, it has great music. It's one of those games that whenever I hear a snippet of music from it or similar enough music I always want to go play it. I actually personally found the game fun as well. Just not difficult.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Alice wrote:I actually personally found the game fun as well. Just not difficult.
from what i've seen (reviews, opinions, etc.) the game is easy modo in the most ridiculous way possible

it's supposed to be an entry level jrpg, but square's thinking of westerners as "not smart enough to understand jrpg mechanics" kinda caused them to make baby's first jrpg

i don't think it deserves such hate, though
Image Image
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

LukaRamu wrote:Chopin's music is something I love and will ever love. There's always something I want to say about one of his pieces, but it is undescribable. The level "Revolution" has that sort of explorational feeling for me. There is this emptiness, just black and white. But you want to know: Is there more than this?

I guess, every piece of Chopin's music has some sort of melancholic feel to it, and the combination with the level made me explore Chopin's music again as I never had before.

Thank you, docopoper, for making this level.
Wow, thanks. That's quite a compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Alice

Post by Alice »

KobaBeach wrote:from what i've seen (reviews, opinions, etc.) the game is easy modo in the most ridiculous way possible

it's supposed to be an entry level jrpg, but square's thinking of westerners as "not smart enough to understand jrpg mechanics" kinda caused them to make baby's first jrpg

i don't think it deserves such hate, though
It's quite easy honestly. But that's mostly due to its simplicity combined with, as you said, making it a baby's first rpg. It would be a decent place to start for someone who spends all their time doing something simple like deathmatch or something similar in a FPS.

I don't think it deserves such hate either. The game was never meant to be difficult (it kinda wasn't intended for a standard rpg audience after all) and even being overly easy it's still fairly fun.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I honestly kind of regret that I didn't push harder for my ~greyscale~ Raccoon Iris graphics to be used.
You can see them if you take Raccoon Iris into Misery Down or It's a Wonderful Demo... you won't actually find a leaf in either of those, though.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

dr_kraid wrote:I honestly kind of regret that I didn't push harder for my ~greyscale~ Raccoon Iris graphics to be used.
You can see them if you take Raccoon Iris into Misery Down or It's a Wonderful Demo... you won't actually find a leaf in either of those, though.
I kind of disliked the greyscale version. It didn't feel feel that it fit how Iris was, her outfits were supposed to be more generic; it's the same reason why she had the ghost outfit, it's the more generic out of the the two sisters' sort of "Halloween costume" type tanooki suit. The greyscale just felt too "diffrent" for her.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I can respect that opinion because I always thought the Demo/Iris thing was that Mario/Luigi thing too, but I liked Greyscale!Iris because it distinguished itself without actually making too much of a distinction. It's still ears and a tail, and grey is... well, grey.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

darkychao wrote:
dr_kraid wrote:I honestly kind of regret that I didn't push harder for my ~greyscale~ Raccoon Iris graphics to be used.
I kind of disliked the greyscale version. It didn't feel feel that it fit how Iris was, her outfits were supposed to be more generic; it's the same reason why she had the ghost outfit, it's the more generic out of the the two sisters' sort of "Halloween costume" type tanooki suit. The greyscale just felt too "diffrent" for her.
I don't follow this logic at all. Something generic with just a little extra bit of special is always better.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: raocow Plays: ASMBXT There's a second world? Oh my.

Post by AUS »

Vergalon wrote:
AUS wrote:I'm waiting for a certain level(s?) by Vergalon..because I was promised PSO music. Dunno which one has it, because he has more than one level. Hopefully all of them, but I'm not getting my hopes too far up.

squee
Well, my first level is in world three, so I'm just bursting with Christmas cheer
And... if you want to know...
There may be PSO music... in all three of my levels
My squee was not unfounded, then!!
(spoiler: these two spoilers spoil nothing)
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
kil3

Post by kil3 »

There's plenty more FFMQ music in this game. It's like the least rare thing in it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

kil3 wrote:There's plenty more FFMQ music in this game. It's like the least rare thing in it.
does that chaos soda poster from sonic adventure 2 actually get used anywhere outside of the title screen?

kinda curious
Image Image
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

KobaBeach wrote:
kil3 wrote:There's plenty more FFMQ music in this game. It's like the least rare thing in it.
does that chaos soda poster from sonic adventure 2 actually get used anywhere outside of the title screen?

kinda curious
I haven't played the entire game yet, but it's used at least once!
raocow wrote:the Revenge of the Eternally Sneezing Dragon by Marky Mark and the Revenge of Yesterday1
What do you get when a dragon sneezes? out of the way.

I really like the flavour of those "hanging"-type levels, for some reason. I loved Underbelly too, though that 's also because it has Radiant Historia music...
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote:

kinda curious
It's used in Groovy (The World 5 Zebra Space level)
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Paralars wrote:
darkychao wrote:I kind of disliked the greyscale version. It didn't feel feel that it fit how Iris was, her outfits were supposed to be more generic; it's the same reason why she had the ghost outfit, it's the more generic out of the the two sisters' sort of "Halloween costume" type tanooki suit. The greyscale just felt too "diffrent" for her.
I don't follow this logic at all. Something generic with just a little extra bit of special is always better.
Unless genericy is part of the character design at which point having an "extra bit of special" would make it less generic.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

I would say I can die happy now, but this game is not yet finished.
I almost regret that I didn't name my lava level; 'A Lava Related Grocery Incident'.
Also, today I learned that Rao also has played PSO, my joy and nostalgia are boiling over.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Vergalon wrote:Also, today I learned that Rao also has played PSO, my joy and nostalgia are boiling over.
You and I both.

I'm assuming it was on the Dreamcast. Rao, did you ever own a GameCube or original Xbox?
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I had it on the dreamcast, and THEN on the gamecube!

I miss my robot gun lady~
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Oh, cool. I had it for the GameCube only. PSO 1&2 (not + version). Pso-world.com was a useful help. :lol: The version I have seems to have the most fair drop rates..some other versions had ridiculously easy drops of OP things. :P

I'll probably go back to playing it someday..I still have all my memory cards....
Oh yeah, ASMBXT is this topic. The LP has been pretty entertaining so far.

SATIRE
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Swampy Sky Shrine had Ice Physics for whatever reason, hence, the sliding around.

Also, I should probably put the Zebra Space Music here.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

"Oh, No! It's Lakitu!" used to be a lot tougher than what was seen in today's video, with no "someone hid something around here" junction between the two parts of the second half of the level to break it up and give a breather; it was one continuous raft ride, and it was quite rage-inducing thanks to the way the spinies interact with the skull raft and the timed nature of the p-switch and switch block sections.

The more you know!
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.