(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: ASMBXT; Postgame, raocow becomes a RaoMAN!

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I really like Luna tower in almost every way. It brings so much new stuff to the table, which was the one thing expected from this project the most. Yeah, the level design could be better, but at the end of the day it has stuff you tend to remember.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for the record, I find it has the best 'mirror rooms' thing I've seen yet if only because when you kill one 'side', it also kills the other.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I haven't touches an snes in forever, but if it were a horizontal level with a vertical mirror, maybe you could do some crazy thing with moving the OAM address during hblank via HDMA to a separately prepared OAM table. Though I remember a lot of rules for doing stuff while the screen is drawing and maybe touching the OAM addresses was one of them.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

MrDeePay wrote:
Ometeotl wrote:
MrDeePay wrote:I don't watch Roo's tripe and him going "…for telling it like it is." just screams the typical ignorant fanboyism that gets touched on from time to time.
That's just rude and uncalled for.
Spare me the "rude" BS.
Calling his videos tripe was perhaps too harsh, but they're still nuttin' I'd call "good," at least on a consistent basis. I still stand by the rest.
MrDeePay wrote: - Drags on for what seems like an eternity which is not helped at all by a slower paced level.
- Limited power-ups, often being Tier 1 power-ups.
- Numerous narrow corridors.
- Having to constantly deal with enemies in these narrow corridors.
- Many that spots look like they were designed with a small player in mind and is borderline power-up filtering/BMD.
- Feels a lot more like a series of mini-levels that are crudely stitched together to make one super level.
This, however, I mostly agree with. I would have liked to see the shortcuts harder to get, as well, so the chances of stumbling onto them blindly would be greatly reduced.
Split the level in two. It'd still be a "bad" level, but it would be more manageable, shortcuts or not.[/quote]

Way to say it. -.- Man dude, that Roo commentary is really really uncalled for. And then calling the answer "That was rude and uncalled for." bullshit isn't the best way to communicate in a forum. Most people like Roo's stuff (from the talkhaus) and it's something we can laugh about. Yet you once again destroy the positive atmosphere by seeing EVERYTHING negative. Sometimes it seems that there's nothing you actually like. I NEVER saw a positive post by you. You NEVER complimented someone on a certain level. All you do is being pesimistic and negative and without any sense of humor.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Slit08 wrote:Sometimes it seems that there's nothing you actually like. I NEVER saw a positive post by you. You NEVER complimented someone on a certain level. All you do is being pesimistic and negative and without any sense of humor.
Well, I had to pull it out of him (sort of) but here's the "Official List of Levels That MrDeePay Likes In ASMBXT" from page 63 (before the thread exploded with USS Suboptimal debates):
MrDeePay wrote:Cloud Nine (minus the stupid second leek)
Hip Hopping About
Castle of Reflection
Knock on Wood
The Bronze Factory
Plain of the Lesser Used
Danger! Disco!
Much to do Around Lava
Swampy Shy Shrine
Oh, No! It's Lakitu!
Forest Ghost House
Shy Guy's Pinball Machine (kinda sorta)
Misery Down
Sunken Despair
Leaky Jungle
Bastion of Cold and Dead
Case of the Uncertain House
Underbelly
Ancient Tomb
Treasure Island
Cryptic Caverns
Four of a Kind
DemoWare (surprised?)
Questionable Content (oddly enough)
Exciting Sky-Cave!
Life Lift (kinda sorta)
Welcome
Super Killer Death Ray
Tunnel
Oh Shoot! They Shoot!
Where is my sanity? (kinda sorta)
Timed Jumps on Moving Everything (kinda sorta)
They're mostly pure platforming levels and I agree with nearly all of them.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

It's true that he volontarily never really says anything positive though, it's kind of funny.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow: I think the only thing you missed is the gravemarker in section 2, above the pool of water, but I don't know how to get there. That green pipe at the end of the main exit just takes you back to the area with the bunch of graves and the fire plant.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Well, there's plot there all of a sudden in this one level video.

Looking at the rest of "Luna Tower", my suspicions are correct in that each room has a unique gimmick in them. So many warps to get to the end, but I feel it's worth it to play this level: not one my favorites, but it's up there. I feel that the level can get tedious if played wrong, even with all the shortcuts available: a room removed would ease up on the experience, but it's postgame, so the difficulty of the room are reasonable; not the length though.
For some odd reason, I felt... frightened by the sudden change in theme with the secret exit. It's also where I least expected it as well.
I certainly see the La-Mulana feel to it now after seeing all of that.
Overall, a good but long level with a lot of gimmicks separated into rooms.

Let's get onwards and have a great time tomorrow.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

When I played this level I had no idea were the secret exit was, and those random nonsense riddles didn't helped. I went full cheats mode and went everywhere and finally decided to open the level in the editor and notice that invisible vine block. The level is super big and I think it would have been better without that secret exit.

Also the tombstones on the other side in the mirror room have different messages, but I have no idea how you can read them without using cheats. I made a video with those messages if some people want to know what's written...
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
MarthX

Post by MarthX »

Luna Tower was amazing. The shortcut system was a clever way to make a really long level with one actual midway point. Definitely one of the best levels I've seen in a while.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

yogui wrote:Also the tombstones on the other side in the mirror room have different messages, but I have no idea how you can read them without using cheats. I made a video with those messages if some people want to know what's written...
"STOP CHEATING" Indeed.

To be fair, that part had me puzzled too: seeing all the poison mushrooms and the firebar at the beginning part makes me wonder what's really happening in that room.
Last edited by jayScribble 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

yogui wrote:Also the tombstones on the other side in the mirror room have different messages, but I have no idea how you can read them without using cheats.
After the riddle room, you will need to fall down the first hole to get there.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

This level kept reminding me of that Pale Luna creepypasta.

Nicely done level though.

Also way to shove your Touhou OC into the game there, Kil.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Could anyone tell me what are the different songs used in Luna Tower? Some of these are really good.

I have to agree that it's a brilliant level, sure it's huge and made of disjointed rooms, but is that a problem? Especially because the whole theme brings everything together *so* well.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Has the spin jumping on ascending spinies been done before? I think it's the first time I've seen it. Neat idea.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Willhart wrote:
yogui wrote:Also the tombstones on the other side in the mirror room have different messages, but I have no idea how you can read them without using cheats.
After the riddle room, you will need to fall down the first hole to get there.
Ooooohhhh...
Now I finally understand what is the intended method to get the secret exit (video here).
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
kil3

Post by kil3 »

alex2 wrote:
kil3 wrote:moving the OAM address during hblank via HDMA
This makes no sense kil.
you're mom

also good job raocow

The thing in the ceiling is an easter egg if you go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUz9aNfK ... e=youtu.be Yeah you need a silly glitch to get in, the main point being that I needed at least one "visible" secret that no one would ever find. It's there to make it feel like you're in a huge type place you can never fully explore, even after you're done with the level.

Well, congrats to all the people who were pleased by the level. If you weren't pleased, I'm sure there's plenty of other levels in this hack that meet your criteria of entertainments, and two of the coolerest levels ever are coming up.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

That level was beautiful like one entirely composed of cement blocks. Also it was like "Big demo, your kind is not welcome here there's the door get out."
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Okay, the Spiny climbing was actually really cool. Most of the time, people abuse the hell out of spin jumping and end up making a really painful or really stupid area, but I thought the way this was handled was good. Come to think of it, I really believe that the second half of the level is miles better than the first in terms of design.

Also, apparently the womb is found directly above the heart? Do you give birth out of your upper ribcage or something? That sounds painful.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

alex2 wrote:Giving birth in general is pretty painful
rly??
kil3

Post by kil3 »

S.N.N. wrote:Okay, the Spiny climbing was actually really cool. Most of the time, people abuse the hell out of spin jumping and end up making a really painful or really stupid area, but I thought the way this was handled was good. Come to think of it, I really believe that the second half of the level is miles better than the first in terms of design.
Yeah, and your complaint on the other page is the only one that really made me reflect on something I hadn't considered already. I think you picked up on something primordial that I failed to realize, in that I really had no compelling vision when designing certain areas like the part with that random snifit dude, and the part with the falling goopas was lacking in impact and mostly just annoying. Looking back, I can already see what I should've done, but since it's over and done with now, whatevs.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

RobinLSL wrote:Could anyone tell me what are the different songs used in Luna Tower? Some of these are really good.

I have to agree that it's a brilliant level, sure it's huge and made of disjointed rooms, but is that a problem? Especially because the whole theme brings everything together *so* well.
According to the MP3 tags, they are originals from Kil, titles being "Luna Tower" (genre: "Christian Rap") and "Queen of Lunarians?" (genre: "Chistian Gangsta Rap"), from the album "Kil" (2012).
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Haha, great. I already had Secret chancellor tower thingammajigger but now I'll have to grab that second song from today's level, tyvm

kil3

Post by kil3 »

LukaRamu wrote:
RobinLSL wrote:Could anyone tell me what are the different songs used in Luna Tower? Some of these are really good.

According to the MP3 tags, they are originals from Kil, titles being "Luna Tower" (genre: "Christian Rap") and "Queen of Lunarians?" (genre: "Chistian Gangsta Rap"), from the album "Kil" (2012).
Did you know those are actual genres included in the official idv2 genre list? I can't help but laugh each time I see them. Thanks for reminding me.

Also I'm just gonna plug something semi important for a second. If anyone would like to help test an SMBX extension module, I could use it here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13469 it's just buried in some god forsaken part of the forums no one will ever see.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

kil3 wrote:Did you know those are actual genres included in the official idv2 genre list? I can't help but laugh each time I see them. Thanks for reminding me.
Really? That's kinda funny!