(shouting)

ASMBXT; Journey's end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: raocow Plays: ASMBXT There's a second world? Oh my.

Post by Sebby19 »

Mechanics raocow has seem to forgotten about SMBX:
-Yoshi can eat and carry the key. In fact, didn't you just do that in this episode/game aleady?
-A thrown key can kill EVERYTHING!

I interpretted the red pipe markings as shortcuts, rewarding those sleuthing players. There is also two of everything, one secret, and one normal. The normal key behind the thwomp must be either killed with a shell, or you can use Yoshi as a meatsheild to get through. However, I found that key first, and then the 'secret' one, in the same run.
I forgot Yoshi could also eat the 'secret' P-Switch though the blocks during my run.
There is also a springboard to explore more of the level, including what is 'beyond the world'.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I was really hoping raocow would do 3 levels today. Ah well. The next level is kinda short, so I guess 3 levels tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

The beginning of Cave Of Lost Everyone brought forth some relatively very unpleasant VVVVV flashbacks.
I initially thought the level music was one of [AOD]'s Touhou-themed songs...
I never found out about the red marks, instead I exited via the P-Switch to the right, which I uncorked by having not-Yoshi carry the springboard from the left.

By the way, you can keep Catnip throughout most of the hub by flying with a cape.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Vergalon
help, I've been abducted (?)

Post by Vergalon »

AUS wrote:I'm waiting for a certain level(s?) by Vergalon..because I was promised PSO music. Dunno which one has it, because he has more than one level. Hopefully all of them, but I'm not getting my hopes too far up.

squee
Well, my first level is in world three, so I'm just bursting with Christmas cheer
And... if you want to know...
There may be PSO music... in all three of my levels
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Sebby19 wrote:-A thrown key can kill EVERYTHING!
I really should have used that as a thing in one of my level /spoiler
SAJewers wrote:I was really hoping raocow would do 3 levels today. Ah well. The next level is kinda short, so I guess 3 levels tomorrow.
Me too! Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the LP but I have a loooong way until my levels and I feel weird since I definitely don't want to wish away this project!
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I kinda feel like you guys should keep the general ASMT chat ("this thing is in this level, and THIS thing will be in THIS level, and then in world five you can find THIS") in the general ASMT thread, when you're talking about things way in the future. It'd be nice if those of us just following raocow's LP could read this thread and understand more than 20% of it.
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Also you guys should check the tags for today's video.

(raocow, shouldn't you be putting requests like that where people are actually likely to see them?)

Cave of Lost Everyone is great. It annoyed me at first because when I played it I was like "This is so easily broken! I can see at least three ways to solve the puzzle that don't involve going through all that annoying rigamarole!" Then after seeing raocow play it, I realized that it's not that it's easily broken-- it's that there's a ton of valid solutions. Amazing how noticing something like that can completely change my opinion of the level.

And I don't think there's anything about Snowy Evening that I can say that hasn't been said already. It's just adorable.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

Ditocoaf wrote:I kinda feel like you guys should keep the general ASMT chat ("this thing is in this level, and THIS thing will be in THIS level, and then in world five you can find THIS") in the general ASMT thread, when you're talking about things way in the future. It'd be nice if those of us just following raocow's LP could read this thread and understand more than 20% of it.
Seconded. Especially considering a lot of things that maybe should have been spoilered weren't.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

With the Snowy Evening I wanted to use both music and graphics one would not normally expect from a Mario game. The snowmen were originally supposed to have different hats on their skulls, but there were not enought background tiles for it. I really like how it is possible to place sprites freely in this game.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

sturgyman wrote:Also Cadwyn, was "Climbing the Mountain" a reference to a particular level in TTB2?
Yeah, basically tried to make it as subtle as I could, I'm honestly impressed so many people have been catching it. :)

Also fun fact: Climbing The Mountain was the first level I completed in SMBX. Those diagonal background slopes took me way longer than they needed to (I insisted on making them all tile, and even then the different backgrounds I used don't always work right... I cringed at the cutoff in the video XD). After that I erred on the side of simplicity with graphic replacements.
With the exception of an even more ambitious level that I had to cut for lack of time. 'Hope'fully it should be ready for the sequel.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I thought Cave of Lost Everyone was pretty cool too. I actually didn't figure out the secret pipes thing, though! Or rather, I came across the one next to the "shaman"'s house by accident, but didn't think to search for/notice the others because I'm a silly-neener I guess :I

And I just used the Yoshi replacement to tank a hit to get through that one Thwomp for the key. Works for me!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
krawky398
Location: A room in a building in a state in a country on a planet in a universe

Post by krawky398 »

Lullaby was a pretty fun level in my opinion.The vertical ascension with the wraparound was just a neat thing, and Lullaby of a Deserted Hell just made it all the better.

Also, I actually never noticed that onion in the level...That might've been a good thing to collect while I played the stage, ahaha...
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Im actually still wondering, if something is up on the Roof by the Barracks. It looks very strange, that the Screen scolls up there... I would test it by myself, but to download it for that isn´t worth for me. Second thing is, that the Game wuold be for me an bit to Dufficult to control that with an Keyboard and buying extra for that an Controller isn´t worth for it.

In the Lullaby-Stage had i really an Brain off-Moment. I knew the blowing wind from the Original one. But i didnt know from where it was until the first Note was Played lol
And the rescuing POW-Block there was funny with that Stage-Song. Like an Death Bomb in the Touhou-Series itself =)
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

It's good to hear some great Age of Empires music again.
Especially after the music contest that happened a while ago.
Kind to see some short but difficult level being used here: giving some form of a challenge while not overstaying it's difficulty and duration.

And well designed shell bounce looping terrain in lullaby there, raekuul.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

...How did I of all people manage to get the first almost-a-Cat-Planet-reference out of Cow? Madness.

Kinda wish I'd've put an extra leek in Parco di Potassio, just so people would play it a second time, because I'm actually kinda proud of how much fun it turned out to be!

Also, the cat's tuft.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

A keyboard is actually pretty easy to use for these games. I set up my controls as z=run, x=jump, and c=spin jump. It works.

As for the levels, Knock on Wood was a nice little level with some actual platforming skills required. lullaby had the whole wraparound and playing around with the shells, which I thought was somewhat interesting (any level that has specific shell paths like that deserve some credit). Parco de Potassio (did I spell that right?) was a pretty nice level despite being autoscroll (I'm not a fan of autoscroll). I'm glad there are levels like that that solely exist just to be nice little levels, such as Snowy Evening and such.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Today's random trivia moment: "Lullaby" was the working name of the level. It was originally going to be called "Ascention from Populated Hell", but I never actually finished making the level due to technical problems.

I don't know who made the last third of the level.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Blivsey wrote:...How did I of all people manage to get the first almost-a-Cat-Planet-reference out of Cow? Madness.

Kinda wish I'd've put an extra leek in Parco di Potassio, just so people would play it a second time, because I'm actually kinda proud of how much fun it turned out to be!

Also, the cat's tuft.
Yeah, IMO it's the second best level in world 2 to Snowy Evening.

Also, for those interested, here's the World 2.5 music.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Blivsey wrote:Also, the cat's tuft.
is an Oddish
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

You know...

As of now this has been going on at rate of 5 videos for one world. Considering there are eight 'regular' worlds, at this rate we are seeing a minimum of 40 videos... and this is not taking into account that later worlds will probably take longer.

This is a lot of content!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

it's rare that peeps in these games really do make an open-ended level.
The choice of music is quite fitting .

Xuta, your Doomnerd is showing :P
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Oh yeah, and speaking of music~

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

Blivsey wrote:Oh yeah, and speaking of music~
Video
That is the most carpentry-show-intermission music ever put into a video game. I played LEGO Island a bunch, but I don't remember this music.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Crunchy wrote:Xuta, your Doomnerd is showing :P
Believe me, I have plenty of ways to show off my Doomnerd. Most of them just don't have videos. :P
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I have only reached world 6, and so far, none of the rest of the worlds are seperated into two rooms.

Well, technically, world 1 only had one room, but it felt like it was two.

Also, In the second room of world 2, I got stuck in the upper/left corner when I flew up there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000