(shouting)

lhb plays video games (JUMP)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LHB

Re: lhb plays video games

Post by LHB »

VIP Mario 2 - Part 22

Glitchy stairs, pointless and extremely annoying Kamek, Kaizo-like jumps 2 minutes in... and that's only the first half!
LHB

Post by LHB »

VIP Mario 2 - Part 23

Where to start... Well, first of all I think I can say that this is probably the worst offender of lack of testing I've experienced so far in VIP 2, which is saying a lot. Having a section with reverse water, glitchy muncher plants, and tight corridors with enemies after four minutes of laggy, boring elevator riding reeks of savestates while testing, and that's not even taking into account the incredibly annoying and tedious first half.

I really thought the second half would break me; It seemed completely absurd to do it all in one run. For comparison, the full run of the second half here took about ten and a half minutes, which is over TWO MINUTES longer than the first half of VIP 4 Bowser's Castle. I feel as though I've overcame a challenge not thought possible by the creator(s) themselves.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

LHB wrote:Well, first of all I think I can say that this is probably the worst offender of lack of testing I've experienced so far in VIP 2, which is saying a lot.
Yeah, from what I saw in the 2ch threads, I think all testing is done by the level/room/boss makers themselves?

They don't really seem to go into any testing after being inserted??
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LHB

Post by LHB »

KobaBeach wrote:Yeah, from what I saw in the 2ch threads, I think all testing is done by the level/room/boss makers themselves?

They don't really seem to go into any testing after being inserted??
Actually, I remember seeing posts about testing VIP 4 while scanning through some earlier threads there, but couldn't find any threads during VIP 1's development and very little dating back to VIP 2. Perhaps they started testing things after insertion in later games, which would explain why some levels in the earlier VIPs (VIP 1 Boon's Mechanical Mansion - Underground Level 1, VIP 2 When You've Noticed, It's Too Late, VIP 3 Hare of Inaba etc.) are broken so badly.
LHB

Post by LHB »

VIP Mario 2 - Part 24

Last level took wayyy too long. Was one of those days where I couldn't get any steady progress going at all. :/
LHB

Post by LHB »

VIP Mario 2 - Part 25

I don't know why they didn't put a midpoint before the boss, as it becomes nearly impossible to do without savestates. This level was quite underwhelming as a whole, which unfortunately could be said about the whole hack.

Overall: Having played VIPs 2, 3, and 4 now VIP 2 definitely is the hardest I've played so far. Now while I do not judge hacks on pure difficulty alone, I do judge them on the amount of enjoyment I get out of dealing with and overcoming the difficulties therein. While I did get some satisfaction out of beating levels like 'The Skies Are Clear, but the Waves Are High' and even 'Bowser's Castle 3', it was nowhere near enough to justify the immense frustration and time put into playing them. 'Poison Gas Clouds' was even worse in this respect, since it was so broken I got no satisfaction out of beating it due to failing close to the end so many times for reasons that are very hard to control.
Other than those levels, his hack is somewhat of a mixed bag, unfortunately leaning more towards the negative than the positive. While there are some genuinely fun levels (Whoo~! Whee~! Lala~!, The Track Goes on Forever, ect.), there are quite a few more annoying and amateurish levels which I feel are a byproduct of a lack of polish and testing without tools (Sometimes no testing at all! I'm looking at you, 'When You've Noticed, It's Too Late'). Ultimately the hack just seems to go on rather unimpressively, save for the extreme perpetrators in the previous paragraph.

Non-long-winded version: Too much difficulty, too much annoyance, not enough fun.

Despite the game itself being rather lackluster, I liked how the videos turned out. This is probably my favorite playthrough done by me yet. I improved a lot over the course of playing this, and feel like I can play these harder hacks with less struggling now, which makes for better and more frequent videos.

Up Next: I will be on vacation this weekend, so there will not be any videos until Tuesday. My next game will be Anikiti's Luigi's Adventure, which I know nearly nothing about and have only played up to World 2 myself before, so it will be essentially blind to me.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 1

Apparently this is one of the hardest hacks out there? The first world seemed innocent enough. I don't think it should be much worse than anything I've dealt with before.
LHB

Post by LHB »

LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 3

randomly harsh

Gonna be busy with finals next week, so I'm going to try to record a lot over the weekend and spread them out throughout the week.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 4

Wrapping up World 2.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 5

I loved these levels. They had lots of fun obstacles, and were easy enough to get through after a couple tries.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 6

I didn't show any of it, but I screwed up a LOT out of frustration trying to get the secret exit on the second level. It's really hard to navigate the first section, and without any powerups one mistake will kill you. The first level wasn't too bad except for the vines+generator at the end.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 7

I never would've thought it possible to make custom blocks that bad.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 8

For the amount of luck based difficulty due to all the footballs, it's not fair at all to only have two powerups in the entire level.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 9

Nice, challenging design backed up by cool aesthetics. 8/10
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 10

Nearly all of the difficulty was caused by the horrific custom blocks, especially in the second level. I'll do the second part of it again tomorrow. I got too annoyed with playing the whole second half again to do that part.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 10B

I took the alternate route this time, mostly because it's shorter. Still, the hardest part by far is the section at the end. I probably died 5 times alone on the very last Koopa since it is next to impossible to dodge, and ended up just taking in a powerup. I don't know why Anikiti wouldn't put the powerup before that section other than to be mean.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 11

The castle didn't really need a midpoint with all the powerups. Other than the glitchy pipes on the second level, these two levels had nice challenges that could be passed consistently if you were careful.
LHB

Post by LHB »

LHB

Post by LHB »

LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 14

Could've gone a lot worse.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 15
Luigi's Adventure - Part 16

On vacation right now with limited internet access. Going to start uploading again in about a week.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 17

An exercise in fairness.
LHB

Post by LHB »

Luigi's Adventure - Part 18

How the hell did I do that first level?
LHB