(shouting)

VVVVVV - WWW?

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kles
First name: h

Re: VVVVVV - WWW?

Post by Kles »

DancingMad wrote:I guess it's sort of a "price per unit" situation?

Where in this case the unit in question is a unit of time.

If I pay $60 for a game and get 30 hours of play out of it, I just paid $2/hour.

If I pay $15 for a game and get 3 hours of play out of it, I just paid $5/hour.

Time being money etc that might be the thought process behind all of it even if you don't initially realize it.

Obviously you can't quantify FUN, so the above is specious on a lot of levels, sure, but if you have roughly the same amount of fun with that $60 game that lasts much longer in comparison, it becomes hard to justify paying so much more per hour of fun had on that shorter game.

Thing is, money is the top factor for a lot, if not most, people. Which ends up screwing over a lot of indie games, which are made by fewer people with fewer resources and it takes them LONGER to complete a 3 hour game than a bigger game company takes to complete a game with more content.

It sucks but that's how I see why things work out the way they do.
You really shouldn't think of it like this. There needs to be a base cost associated with designing the engine, gameplay, graphics, audio, and story. Level design and length of the game can be extended a lot easier than consistently creating new gameplay mechanics and engine improvements can be. If you put a base cost of $10 dollars on the core game, you're paying $1.66 per hour for both games.

Of course, trying to quantify fun and the experience you get out of a game in dollars and cents is a more complicated process than even my example, let alone trying to quantify cost in pure game length terms.
EvilLemmy

Post by EvilLemmy »

Blinx wrote:
EvilLemmy wrote:I I'll happily shell out $10+ for every new Megaman game (plus DLC),

it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.
heh
I never said I was completely unbiased. ;) I am a consumer whore.

Sameness is not a bad thing necesarily, it's just something to consider. At the end of the day, though, I don't think it's worth trying to figure out how much the game is actually "worth" compared to what it costs. I've payed much more for worse games than this.
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

I just downloaded the demo, and I must say, rather than watching the LP, I'll be buying this as soon as I make myself a Paypal account. Sure 2-3 hours isn't exactly long but $15 or however much that would be in Euros isn't that much money either way and it's been a while since I last had that much fun playing a video game (I think that was Portal?). Really, the short playtime/lack of content is literally the only thing the game has going against it.

Also, the soundtrack is just amazing. I had no idea you could do that sort of thing with such basic sinus-y samples. I really, really hope that someone will eventually start remixing it because god damn I'd love to hear an orchestral version or something of Pushing Onwards. It'd be like ambrosia for the eardrums or something.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

In euros it's like 14 euros or something, it's really worth all the full you'll get out of it!
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Muuv Stehpah

Post by Muuv Stehpah »

I can't seem to find the game on Steam, unless that was a joke. :oops:
kilon

Post by kilon »

It isn't there.
You can get it here though:
https://sites.fastspring.com/distractio ... rvsixtimes
Muuv Stehpah

Post by Muuv Stehpah »

kilon wrote:It isn't there.
You can get it here though:
https://sites.fastspring.com/distractio ... rvsixtimes
Thank you, but I already have it. I was just wondering if Steam actually had it in their store. :)
haligonian

Post by haligonian »

I'm tempted to get this game because of the music.
THE MUSIC IS SO AWESOME.
I'm really nice.
linlin

Post by linlin »

are we allowed to post a purchase link? i found it a couple of minutes ago
kilon

Post by kilon »

I already did a few posts above, so yeah.
linlin

Post by linlin »

you can also buy it through kongregate, if you would prefer, with their kreds system

http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCa ... vvvvv-demo

start up the demo, and there's a button to buy the full version on like the second menu screen
Muuv Stehpah

Post by Muuv Stehpah »

There's one part of the game that may cause you to rip your hair out if you're trying to get 100% completion. I hope raocow is bald. :(
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Hey there, raocow, this is xnamkcor.

Did you set the third video to private or something?
It's not showing up when i search for it on my PPC Youtube.
Did you disable embedded playback?

PS: Great work
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Go on the front page?

I dunno, other people seem to be able to see it fine.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Oh, hey, those 8000 things look and move kinda like-

"Sweeney's Maze."

Wow.

I did not expect THAT game to get referenced, though in retrospect it was inevitable given the character faces. More reason to want Town/Caves/City/Dungeon of ZZT for the next random week, whenever that'll be. Game's almost fun enough to consider buying now.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Sillyman

Post by Sillyman »

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:Oh, hey, those 8000 things look and move kinda like-

"Sweeney's Maze."

Wow.

I did not expect THAT game to get referenced, though in retrospect it was inevitable given the character faces. More reason to want Town/Caves/City/Dungeon of ZZT for the next random week, whenever that'll be. Game's almost fun enough to consider buying now.
High five ZZT-playing buddy!
And now the coast is clear, I just need to deal... with my number one fan.
Riku~n, why do you keep wanting to murder me like this?
I wouldn't mind that smile so much if your skin wasn't made of poison for some reason.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

I'm seriously considering shelling out the 15$. Though I can't decide whether I want to do it before or after the LP. If I play the game first then it's going to be hard to watch raocow fail at stuff I find easy. If I wait then I'll be buying a game I already know well...
Jaebn

Post by Jaebn »

If I had enough money, I'd be buying this right now. Unfortunately I'm unemployed with no income whatsoever, and I've got less than 200$ to live on until I find a job. Sad thing, really, I'd love to hear the full-length versions of SoulEye's tunes. Oh, and the demo was fun to play too.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

So, the whole object of the came is to find the crew members?
kilon

Post by kilon »

and optionally get all twenty trinkets
LunarMagicMan

Post by LunarMagicMan »

Man, raocow but spend hours thinking of these video names. They are just so damn clever and witty.
“Never lose focus. Focus, focus, focus.You are a zebra and you are trying to win a marathon, okay? That’s how much focus you’re having right now. You are The Focus of Zebra and The Zebra of Focus. You’re like freakin’ both. You have a split personality, you can do it. Well, that’s not true. But I can pretend! I have the power of imagination! I am, after all, The Marathon Zebra.” - raocow

raocow motivator 2000... too bad we skipped 1999 numbers.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Funniest part is how the tag thing was wrong.
raocow said let's play 7*v, not 5*v or 8*v while it is 6*v. It was obviously intentional though..
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

RobinLSL wrote:I'm seriously considering shelling out the 15$. Though I can't decide whether I want to do it before or after the LP. If I play the game first then it's going to be hard to watch raocow fail at stuff I find easy. If I wait then I'll be buying a game I already know well...
Do it before, I'd say. Playing a game isn't half as fun if you already know the solutions to everything, even if this isn't a puzzle game, and I think if the game no longer holds any suprises it's hardly worth the money.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

haligonian wrote:I'm tempted to get this game because of the music.
THE MUSIC IS SO AWESOME.
You can buy the soundtrack here: http://souleye.madtracker.net/ (it's only 4 bucks!)
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

So wait, the truth hurts, but the lies hurt as well?
- randoguy101