(shouting)

smwcentral madness: Vanilla 2010

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MrDeePay

Re: smwcentral madness: Vanilla 2010

Post by MrDeePay »

Yeah, much of this level just simply overstayed its welcome and had things included mainly for the sake of it. That combination is sure to hurt any level's score enough.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I can certainly see why it didn't win, but...wow. Every part of that entry was amazing on some level (albeit not necessarily the good kind of amazing in regards to the plot/grammar).
Kles
First name: h

Post by Kles »

I have a feeling that the next ten levels are going to be "good" but completely underwhelming compared to this one. Give reasons why this is only 22nd, but unless the next 21 absolutely blow my socks off, this rating is completely wrong.
gtrsastdeft

Post by gtrsastdeft »

It was 22nd because i had tons of glitches, because such an awesome work can't be done without glitches.

If the glitches were fixed, he could have won the vanilla contest easily.

But yes, i agree, i can't fucking believe it's not chocolate.
RikunFrances
Mentally Ill
Pronouns: kunself/you

Post by RikunFrances »

I liked how flashy it was, I suppose the graphics got me. The level was good up until that elevator part, then it was just too much. That part looked way too hard spent with an unnecessarily forced difficulty for the amount of time it was played for. The music was pretty great, I liked it a lot. If it had only been shorter, I mean it's a contest entry, not your endgame level after all. In the end, though, the ending bit was pretty funny and raocow's laughing even got to me after a few moments of it. It was a decent level, and I give kudos for the guy because he used the switch palace switch plates in such a unique way, that metal part was pretty cool to me. If that's 22nd I'm looking forward to the next- and number 1.
ZaCloud
The Space-Case Ace
First name: ZaCloud
Pronouns: she/her

Post by ZaCloud »

As was already mentioned, I understand its relatively low rank, in light of how extremely long and tedious some parts were (like the Bowser-elevator-clown-ride), and the lack of midpoints with which to not have to replay those over and over without using rewinds/savestates. So it amounts to some frustration, and when it comes to level design, frustration is not fun.

But that said, the PHYSICAL design, the creativity that went into the improvising of graphics, and the silly little story, were all jaw-droppingly awesome. That final fight was so immaturely-badass that it brought out the kid in me and I was just enjoying every moment.

I don't think I'd like to play it, but I had a darn good time watching it. I'm glad raocow seemed to enjoy the visuals as much as I did; his speechlessness spoke volumes. And man, I'm still filled with awe and smiling everytime I remember parts of it. :mrgreen:
Which voice-in-my-head should I listen to today?
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Well, that was... Um.

I dunno, to me it seemed like a weird combination of very creative use of graphics, very good level design (plus an elevator part), and those cutscenes. Those crazy, random cutscenes. And somehow, the cutscenes didn't get in the way, but instead were so ridiculous that some of them (most notably the final one) ended up hilarious and actually helping the level stay entertaining. I can't tell if the plot was supposed to make sense or not, really.

Also how the hell is that crab vanilla?
I don't really get it but okay
Ozland

Post by Ozland »

That was, really really really awesome ! This is the best vanilla level I've ever seen ! When I think about it, it's just the 22nd place, can't even imagine the first place.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

cheez8 wrote:Also how the hell is that crab vanilla?
Don't know about that one actually. I was trying to figure it out while judging. Regardless though, it's not part of the level, so it wouldn't cause disqualification even if it was chocolate.
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

If I remember correctly, there WAS a midpoint, he just hid it.

I hate you all.
Third Murderer

Post by Third Murderer »

The elevator music sounds like the Metroid theme mixed with Carol of the Bells to me.

That level had a lot of neat stuff, but Mario levels just shouldn't be that long!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

S.N.N. wrote:
cheez8 wrote:Also how the hell is that crab vanilla?
Don't know about that one actually. I was trying to figure it out while judging. Regardless though, it's not part of the level, so it wouldn't cause disqualification even if it was chocolate.
The claws are super koopa capes. That's all I got.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Eyes: Decoy Lemmy/Wendy Arms
Claws: Super Koopa capes.
Body: .....? Hell if I know.
megamario

Post by megamario »

Well that level was certainly something special.

Though the only thing really worthy of no speech was the whole end...fight?
Sure, fight.

But laughter works too. That's one for the record books.

But I mean the level itself looked pretty neat to play, but the castle was ugly, really. The gray gradients looked eh on their own but then it also had dark teal bricks and gold bricks side by side and didn't mesh well at all.
Neat elevator room. I assume the recording thingamabob was layer 3?
What on earth was going on with the enemy pallets though.

ahahaha oh god the last part of the fight
megamario

Post by megamario »

I was with today's level all the way until Baseball danmaku at about 8 minutes in

What an unfortunate way to end an otherwise good level.
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

MrDeePay wrote:Eyes: Decoy Lemmy/Wendy Arms
Claws: Super Koopa capes.
Body: .....? Hell if I know.
isn't it a cloud?
Muncher

Post by Muncher »

Jugding for the 22nd place:
FirePhoenix:
115. TheGamer - Vanilla Rain: Endless Raindrop

Creativity: 10/10

Difficulty: 7/10
Appeal: 7/10
Functionality: 6/10
Fun: 7/10
Overall: 37/50

There were lots of cool ideas in the level, especially the cutscene fight with Mario and Luigi, but the ideas weren't always implemented in the best looking of ways. Also, there was lots of plot but there should have been heavy grammar and spellchecking done on the dialogue because it was hard to make sense of the story at times.

S.N.N.:
-------------------------------------------
-VANILLA RAIN - TheGamer -

Creativity: 9.5
Difficulty: 8.5
Appeal: 9.5
Functionality: 8
FUN: 9

COMMENTS: Interesting concept! I liked the varied level styles you used here (i.e.
the tower which looked like it was made from switch palace switches, the Bowser
area, etc.) It took a bit to get exciting, but it was well done in the end.

44.5/50

Supertails:
Entry #115
Level Name: Vanilla Rain
Author: TheGamer

Creativity: 8/10
Appeal: 7/10
Functionality: 8/10
Fun: 7/10
TOTAL: 37/50

ST's comments: A very interesting submission, this one took a popular meme and made it
a basis of the hack. The cutscenes were interesting, but were frequently mispelled,
making it hard to understand. Level design was pretty good, though the cave area felt
pretty excessive, and the overall level was on the long side. It was a shame parts of
it weren't complete, as it would've really helped the hack, but it was pretty good
regardless. I liked some of the palettes, but they could've used even more effort.
While this was a nice level, parts felt rushed and it didn't really come together as well
as it could have.
Jugding for the 21st:
FirePhoenix:
87. MoogleEmperor - Volcanic Valley

Creativity: 7/10
Appeal: 8/10
Functionality: 6/10
Fun: 8/10
Overall: 36/50

The difficulty was high in this one, with lots of usage of enemies with projectiles like Lava Lotuses and Pitchin' Chucks. The last three pitchin' chucks were the worst because of all the baseball spam. Palettes were excellent and the level overall was fun to play and well designed.

S.N.N.:
-VOLCANIC VALLEY - MoogleEmporer -

Creativity: 7.5
Difficulty: 8.5
Appeal: 8
Functionality: 8
FUN: 7.5

COMMENTS: Pretty good, for the most part. The whole climbing net deal seemed to get a bit
repetitive after the midway. I liked some of the gimmicks before that though, especially
riding the numbers platforms on the lava. Good stuff, and well designed too.

39.5/50

Supertails:
Entry #87
Level Name: Volcanic Valley
Author: MoogleEmperor

Creativity: 9/10
Difficulty: 10/10
Appeal: 8/10
Functionality: 8/10
Fun: 9/10
TOTAL: 44/50

ST's comments: What would have been a "good" level overall was made even better by
some great mechanics. Some ideas, such as the use of the timed lift as a raft, were
ones I'd never seen before in a hack. The obstacles did a great job at keeping you
engaged and providing a challenge, but not feeling cheap. The palettes were pretty
good and the level was linear, but fun to play. It's one I enjoyed going through
overall.
haligonian

Post by haligonian »

megamario wrote:I was with today's level all the way until Baseball danmaku at about 8 minutes in

What an unfortunate way to end an otherwise good level.
This this this this!
TOO MANY BASEBAAALLLSSSSSS.

Also, that crab was awesome. Even if I didn't see much of it.
I'm really nice.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Guys, the third place level is being played, SayAnything made a fake youtube account and pmed raocow saying "plz dont play my hack lol!" and it was working out fine and it was gonna be a really funny joke and SA was gonna tell raocow when the contest was over but GUESS WHAT SA told him today because he felt bad and he ruined the funniest, most immature let's play prank ever (maybe the only one) idk but anyway I am posting this because I'm super pissed at SA for ruining the joke and I'm trying to make it public so he gets a lot of flak from everyone hopefully idk because he's a big jerk who ruins things bye
O-Card
what are you doing here
Pronouns: he/el

Post by O-Card »

Don Zanevsky wrote:SA ... 's a big jerk who ruins things
Igree
talkhaus: the singening
you must sing
MAFIA
yo yo yo play the game
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

Don Zanevsky wrote:Guys, the third place level is being played, SayAnything made a fake youtube account and pmed raocow saying "plz dont play my hack lol!" and it was working out fine and it was gonna be a really funny joke and SA was gonna tell raocow when the contest was over but GUESS WHAT SA told him today because he felt bad and he ruined the funniest, most immature let's play prank ever (maybe the only one) idk but anyway I am posting this because I'm super pissed at SA for ruining the joke and I'm trying to make it public so he gets a lot of flak from everyone hopefully idk because he's a big jerk who ruins things bye

So it would happened to be a joke with nobody knowing about it and nobody laughing ?
Sounds great to me ?_?

Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

He made it public in IRC that he was going to be playing the prank. I laughed my ass off when I watched today's video
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
TurboPup

Post by TurboPup »

(Since I suspect most people don't know it, I'm the maker of Volcanic Valley)
Yeah, I think I overdid that last baseball charlie assault. XD The earlier parts with them aren't too tough to jump through, but the last one is hard without a powerup. Grats to raocow for getting through it while small! I like danmaku, so my view of how many projectiles is reasonable is probably rather skewed. =P

That pipe raocow missed was just a bonus area where one of the yoshi coins is hidden. Though my tester did tell me that the level is more fun when you try to get to all the yoshi coins (not necessarily on one life though, that's the big problem with yoshi coins).

My approach here was entirely different than yesterday's, to put it mildly! I was just going for a "Hey guys here's a well made level at world 8 esque difficulty and length". I wasn't trying to do anything especially ambitious or epic, especially since I'd never publicly submitted a level before, for SMW or anything else. Choosing a lava theme had nothing to do with it being a world 8 difficulty though, it was because I liked the idea of "math platform surfing" and the mud palette I made didn't look as good as my lava palette.

I'm pretty happy that my level scored so well. I don't put all that much regard to the exact score or placing, but I was happy to get the feedback, and watching raocow play a level I made was awesome! XD Those were pretty much my two reasons for entering the contest; I actually prefer other types of platformers over Mario, but the chance to both get feedback from people who know what they're talking about and having my favorite LPer play it was too much to pass up!

That final cutscene in Vanilla Rain deserves applause for being one of the only SMW hack cutscene I've ever seen that wasn't a waste of time. Not only that, it was pretty darn awesome because of being so silly! That level overall is most definitely forged out of greater stuff than my level was, it just needed more polish and wasn't quite the right sort of thing to try to stuff into a single level. The creator really put tons of effort into it and it shows.
I also give it an A+ for vanilla graphics use. Even though some of its tile use is a bit sketchy there's more than enough awesome to entirely make up for it.
"You are running on bells and whistles right now."
- Husky
kilon

Post by kilon »

Doomberg wrote:Over the past several months I still continue to hear you say subtle things against religion like you have been doing for years now. When we had that discussion way back then you said you were Catholic so I don't understand why you keep saying the things you do.
Yes, our good friend Doomberg is back!
haligonian

Post by haligonian »

Don Zanevsky wrote:[explanation of the 'joke' here]
That does not make me happy or laugh. That's mean. ):
The 'joke' I mean.

Back to the levels, The Grassy Hills was again a short level. Good idea though.
AND YES. MORE SHRUBBERY. (Magic Forest.)
idk man, I liked that cave. I thought it was pretty awesome.
I'm really nice.