(shouting)

smwcentral madness: Vanilla 2010

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kles
First name: h

Re: smwcentral madness: Vanilla 2010

Post by Kles »

MajorasMask9 wrote: No need to point fingers at a group of people for something one person did.
Well, this whole thing was popularized because of "Hacks 101," which was intended to teach people how to ROM hack. It's not like he made a hack with these crazy land masses and other people decided to copy them - he pretty much straight up told people that they are a good way to do things.
RedToonLink

Post by RedToonLink »

In before Tails comes in, saying "I DID NOT INVENT WACKY LANDFORMS!!!!"
We all know that lesser known "vanilla" hackers have been doing it behind our backs for ages.
I'm that romhacker dude.
Don't mind me, just rollin' round.
TRS

Post by TRS »

MajorasMask9 wrote:Also, I couldn't find the key back when I played this level either. I hope it isn't in a blatantly obvious place that I overlooked.
That's because the path to the key is placed on the bottom row, so you can't see it.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I think we had the Hacks 101 discussion before. People have been doing it long before Tails, as stated, but he was just the one who made it popular by releasing a 15 level tutorial thing that shouldn't even be classified as a real hack. Others made a few levels of a hack containing interesting landforms and whatnot, and then cancel it due to motivation loss.

...then again, about 95% of people cancel their hacks due to motivation loss anyway, so a lot of ideas which have been done already never see the light of day.
MajorasMask9

Post by MajorasMask9 »

Kles wrote:Well, this whole thing was popularized because of "Hacks 101," which was intended to teach people how to ROM hack. It's not like he made a hack with these crazy land masses and other people decided to copy them - he pretty much straight up told people that they are a good way to do things.
Right, I knew that! I just didn't really think that saying it was "your guys' fault" (talkhaus' fault) was a good idea with all the SMWC/talkhaus hating that seemed to be going on the past few pages.
TRS wrote:That's because the path to the key is placed on the bottom row, so you can't see it.
Not gonna lie, when I just read that I overlooked the obvious meaning of what you said and looked at it as if you were talking metaphorically. I thought it was pretty deep.

Replaying the level, I see what you mean and that is really clever! I can't believe I didn't realize that there was a path there earlier.
megamario

Post by megamario »

You know, the past two levels haven't really seemed that great.
I mean, don't get me wrong: The levels are well-designed, pleasant to look at, and probably pleasant to play.

But there's just something about them that, to me, seems so boring. It's hard to describe why, though.

Also can there please be a rule saying No Bowsers Allowed for this next year.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Kristian wrote:it's tails' fault, who's a member of the talkhaus first and foremost, so basically it's your guys' fault
Baaaaaaaw why do you SMWC satans always gotta grief us talkhausers people!1

But seriously, strawberries > raspberries, this is one thing I have to disagree with on raocow. But thanks for the french vocabulary lesson, I just thought it was a generic grunt exclamation or syllable or something of that sort.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Kristian wrote:it's tails' fault, who's a member of the talkhaus first and foremost, so basically it's your guys' fault
Sorry, he's a SMWCer

Seriously, though, I don't really care about fancy hills. They were kind of fun to try out, but I didn't have a problem with the old vanilla ones. This one has an instance of ones that I feel are "bad." Must've taken a lot of work, but it's not really appealing at all.

Also, not just because of that, I didn't really think this was 6th place material (and I even played it before the rankings)

Edit: OOW I like you now
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
TRS

Post by TRS »

MajorasMask9 wrote:
TRS wrote:That's because the path to the key is placed on the bottom row, so you can't see it.
Replaying the level, I see what you mean and that is really clever! I can't believe I didn't realize that there was a path there earlier.
I didn't really think it was clever at all. It's actually against the rules to do that (By rules, I mean SMWC's hack submission guidelines). Also, the two judges that commented on it either advised against it or couldn't find the key.
MajorasMask9

Post by MajorasMask9 »

TRS wrote:I didn't really think it was clever at all. It's actually against the rules to do that (By rules, I mean SMWC's hack submission guidelines). Also, the two judges that commented on it either advised against it or couldn't find the key.
What I liked about it was that if you actually look at the giant mess of decorations, you could tell that there's a path there, and if you looked over by the wall (where the P-switch is), it looks like there could be more to the level on the other side. Otherwise, if you just took it as a "decoration" you might just pass by it.

Maybe I should just not overlook the fact that I couldn't find it without being told about it and stick with my original take on it, since I guess most people would overlook something like that.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I guess that the level decor could easily be classified as messy in this level but I still think it deserved to place where it did. I had a lot of fun judging the level from a gameplay perspective and that's the thing that counts most in my eyes. Plus, I'm a sucker for good palettes, which I thought this level had plenty of.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Not meaning this in a bad way, but I think it would be cool if for the next contest the submissions were somehow kept anonymous to the judges to prevent any bias. Don't know how it this could be done though.
Daze

Post by Daze »

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:But seriously, strawberries > raspberries, this is one thing I have to disagree with on raocow.
Agreed. I also think mulberries are miles ahead of raspberries, and blackberries are in-between.

As far as Dots' level, I thought it was pretty cool. I do think it was a bit visually confusing in a lot of places, thanks to that oversaturation-of-landmass thing he had going on, but on the whole, the level design seemed fine to me.
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
Kles
First name: h

Post by Kles »

tatanga wrote:Not meaning this in a bad way, but I think it would be cool if for the next contest the submissions were somehow kept anonymous to the judges to prevent any bias. Don't know how it this could be done though.
Make me a judge, because I don't recognize any of these people by name anyway. 8-)
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

I'd just like to say that every single "berry" that has been mentioned in this thread thus far isn't actually technically a berry.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

rubberfishy wrote:I'd just like to say that every single "berry" that has been mentioned in this thread thus far isn't actually technically a berry.
On a side note, neither peanuts nor almonds are actually nuts, and cucumbers, zucchinis, and corn are all really fruit.

Also raspberries are way better than strawberries. So are blackberries.
I don't really get it but okay
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

cheez8 wrote: Also raspberries are way better than strawberries. So are blackberries.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

SayAnything wrote:really great hack today i would expect nothing less from someone at smwc
why
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

tatanga wrote:Not meaning this in a bad way, but I think it would be cool if for the next contest the submissions were somehow kept anonymous to the judges to prevent any bias. Don't know how it this could be done though.
stop trolling!!
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Sillyman

Post by Sillyman »

I don't know if this has already been posted but... TIES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY, SMWC.

Say there is a tie for first... what should happen is that SECOND PLACE DOES NOT EXIST AND YOU SKIP TO THIRD. Instead, we have things occurring like four of the same place and nothing getting bumped down, making it harder to know how many things are yet to come (or better than a particular thing, whatever).
And now the coast is clear, I just need to deal... with my number one fan.
Riku~n, why do you keep wanting to murder me like this?
I wouldn't mind that smile so much if your skin wasn't made of poison for some reason.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

We know.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

S.N.N. wrote:We know how ties work. This is just how we chose to do it. Of all the things to knock, I find it hilarious how people are going for something not even related to the level content.
S.N.N. wrote:Well, it couldn't really be helped. The original judging was out of 50 points, ranked with either whole points or .5s. Mix that with the fact that nobody expected 124 entries, and you end up with multiple ties. Naturally, rather than having it go 1 2 2 4, we made it go 1 2 2 3 and carried it on from there.

As for next year's contest, the point value, along with categories, will be messed around to try and lessen the amount of ties.

also unless things go terribly wrong with the production (knock on wood), smwcp should be done at some point in August.
S.N.N. wrote:I know the former method is the norm - I never really said it wasn't. We just felt this way would be more appropriate because of, as I said, the second place tie. That's all it is, really. We'd rather be able to give out a third place trophy as well instead of two second place trophies.

Keep in mind the contest was not made for LPing either, and if it -wasn't- being LP'ed, nobody would care about the ties. If the whole issue here is just boiling down to wanting to know how many are left, you could always just check the results thread on SMWC.
I'd put that all in larger text but the topic hasn't been ran into the ground yet so I want to see this come up in another five pages.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Blueberries are literally the worst unless they are put into a pie, sorry guys.

Also raspberries are the best.
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

cheez8 wrote:and cucumbers, zucchinis, and corn are all really fruit.
Corn is a term to describe the most commonly grown cereal in that area. so which cereal are you talking about?

ah ha!, I'm gonna out smart all of you will my useless knowledge!