(shouting)

Distorted Travesty 2 - I'd say Boogaloo but it's overused

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Re: Distorted Travesty 2 - I'd say Boogaloo but it's overused

Post by ZephyrBurst »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:-Chao says she might be able to make the boss dizzy, and the first super attack has you going in circles.
Oh man, I need to be careful of stuff like that. I can see how that could be even more confusing.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I hope you did just let your computer running while being at work. Because having to having do beat that boss again would be silly.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

"This is raocow playing Let's Make Slit Irrationally Angry At A Guy Playing Video Games!"
I about died... :lol:

Also, I kinda had a feeling the end of the video would happen. raocow didn't realize there was an entire extra segment after the boss and didn't take that into consideration.

At least one more video it is...
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

If you wind up refighting that Core boss for w/e reason, your method of using water underneath isn't a bad idea. If it gets stunned, your rock will also spawn above you.
sharkoftheday
The World Goes "Meep"
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sharkoftheday »

Sometimes reading the forums when watching an LP is rewarding in itself; case in point: the beginning of tonight's video.

A few minutes into this video and I just now noticed that the boss cycles through the elements in order. This level of predictability is at least something of an excuse for red and brown being virtually indistinguishable (even when just watching!).
raocow wrote:the neon butterflies return once more from their blessed sleep;
there are no holes in the future, only death.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Well, at least this way we will have another video for this game, which is nice. :)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Just goes to show that if you complain enough, you will get named dropped.
Just that I got two videos compared to Slit, so HA!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Now imagine how disappointing the final video would be if the end sequence (where raocow is now) wasn't changed.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Sebby19 wrote:Just goes to show that if you complain enough, you will get named dropped.
Ah damn it and ehre was hope. :P Oh well!

Also indeed Zephyr, good thing that you extended this fight. Everyone who doesn't know what is about to happen should be really excited about it, that's all I have to say. ;)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

You didn't miss anything content related on not using the patch. It only fixed up issues in the shooter level (5-1) and changed the Game Over screen in that final map. More akin to DT1.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ugh, another facepalm moment by raocow.

I don't know how after clearly hitting the brain with water, multiple times, you failed to spam them when wind and fire were taken away. I fail to grasp at how you failed to see that.

I guess i should just be used to this by now, how you epicly fail spot checks, but: :evil:

Also, doesn't attacking with the wrong element also charge up the others faster?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Slit08 wrote:Just goes to show that if you complain enough, you will get named dropped.
Well, now Slit's got namedropped in a second video. You are tied!

And there goes the last distorted travesty LP I'll be paying attention to for a while.

Kind of liked raocow's "spam EVERYTHING" approach to getting across the uber-long gap. Personally I found Wind->Dash->Wind->Dash->Wind.... etc faster and more fluid. And you could keep doing it indefinitely if not for those stupid meteors.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Forgot to mention a few things.
Sebby19 wrote:Also, doesn't attacking with the wrong element also charge up the others faster?
It needs to deal at least 1 damage for that.

I was giggling on him not using water, but eventually the encounter will force things out of you. The sequence plays out as you deal more damage to it up until your 3rd element is taken. This way you don't wind up having to hit the body with earth without the wall-jump which... raocow did anyway. :P

I'll explain the final sequence a bit.

The first element taken is the one you hit the thing with the most up to that point. After that, it follows a sequence. The encounter itself isn't meant to be difficult at all, it's more meant to be creepy and make you feel powerless by the end. That and it leads into the 3rd where you start with nothing. (Including jump.)

As soon as the message box, where Jerry says he's on the way, disappears, Game Over is disabled. From there, the head and hand will continually attack faster, to the point where it becomes nearly impossible to avoid.

As for that Game Over screen in the patch. If you lose on the Chaser sequence or to the thing at the end, the Game Over sequence shows this instead. Not a 'major' change, just something to make that part a little bit weirder.
Dark Hunter wrote:Kind of liked raocow's "spam EVERYTHING" approach to getting across the uber-long gap. Personally I found Wind->Dash->Wind->Dash->Wind.... etc faster and more fluid. And you could keep doing it indefinitely if not for those stupid meteors.
Wind -> Dash, repeat was the intended solution, but I figured raocow would find his own method.

Just a tidbit about the 3rd game for anyone that hasn't played the demo, both characters are playable. Everyone seems to like it better than both predecessors, and the demo feedback has been pretty awesome. That's the last major demo till the game is done, though there might be a short scenario released early next year that showcases a few things I'd like others to see.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

You know, I think I might have figured out just who/what the Virus is...
And you thought that clicking the spoiler would let you see my guess! :trollololol:

But seriously, with all the hint-dropping that this game did, compounded with certain remarks in the first game... I have a good guess.

I'll not mention it now though, on the off-chance Zephyr decided to go "Hey, you're right!", which he probably wouldn't, but whatever. Being in suspense is more fun anyway.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

No worries, I haven't confirmed or denied any guesses and I won't ever do so. I was tempted to release the next chapter of DT3 since it goes a bit more into that. Plus it's a better story cliffhanger than where it ends currently, but how the demo ends now, it's a gameplay cliffhanger and I feel that's better for DT.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

This was a bit of an odd one. After the epic nature of the first installment, the shorter, more condensed form of this game stands out in sharp contrast. In certain respects in almost feels like a Gameboy adaptation of a popular SNES series, which were often decent to good games in their own right, though necessary rather a bit stripped down compared to their predecessors. That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course, as the limitations here were often used to shake things up a bit--the fixed power level and ability list of the player character eliminates the possibility for over-reliance on upgrades and leveling up, and assures that even early game enemies can remain a threat later on, thus making them a good deal more versatile.

It was particularly interesting to see how this affected raocow's playing style, as it completely nullified the tank-and-heal approach he tended to fall back last time. At the same time, a less overwhelming range of abilities seemed to work more to his style, and the lack of an never-brilliant-but-always-passable default weapon for him to fall back on and the tendency of enemies to take no damage from their non-preferred elements forced him to actually make use of his skillset (But I'm sure some day those red Paratroops will be vulnerable to fire). Perhaps getting used to shaking up his strategy a bit more might help him a bit in the third installment.

At the same time, the smaller scale of the game did make things feel a bit...well, smaller. Not just in terms of length, that is, but in scope. One interesting thing the first DT had was scores of enemies, with each area containing a whole new troop of them, and each member thereof having two pages of scan data serving as their own mini-biography. Here, on the other hand, there was a much smaller range of enemies used more consistently throughout the game, with a far smaller number of them being specific (or even apparently indigenous) to any particular area. While this does serve to make any particular enemy seem a bit more useful, so to speak, it also somewhat dulls the thrill of exploring a new area and discovering what sort of strange inhabitants it has. On top of that, most of the enemies only had a single page of (often much shorter) scan data, making them feel a little less important to their world.

Speaking of which, the world itself was also a little sketchier this time around. We didn't get quite as much of a sense a to why our heroes were passing through any particular area, nor was there quite as much entertaining banter between them, much of the pre-level cutscenes being a bit more straight-to-the-point. Indeed, the story doesn't really get into swing at all until the final few stages, and then ends of a cliffhanger, giving the whole shebang more of the feeling of a prologue to the third installment than an independent part of its own. The title screen declares the game the sequel to the prequel, but the effect is rather more that of a prequel to the sequel.

Nevertheless, short and condensed as it was, DT2 proved an entertaining watch, and it was nice to see some of the many diverse threads cast out by the first game developed in new ways. I'm interested to see how this all develops further still in the third game.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Dark Hunter wrote:
Slit08 wrote:Just goes to show that if you complain enough, you will get named dropped.
Well, now Slit's got namedropped in a second video. You are tied!
He was in the credits. IT DOESN"T COUNT!

Say, when was the last time raocow completed two games at once?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Rameau's Nephew wrote:prequel to the sequel
The hyper-condensed version of my final thoughts on the game, so it seems I'm not the only one.

I can only speak for myself, but I found it kind of obvious that the final boss was scripted. I understand the choice to use a much eerier theme than the boss music, but in my opinion, a creepy new boss theme would have done the job of selling the Virus Heart as a legitimate boss a bit more.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

That was one of the first final bosses ever, my god.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

That was one of the first final bosses ever, my god.
..wha?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Whoever's in charge of the TV Tropes page: Chao's sprite in game over and stage clear is Amu from Shugo Chara, I've been told.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Interesting that you assume the editor is a follower of this thread...

...but, sure, I'll add that fact. Thanks. :D

Not that I'm "in charge" of anything on those pages. All I can take credit for is the creation of the character page.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Hello!

Just one question, what's the song that plays in the Secured Data Segment?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think it's an original piece, according to music credits file (packaged with the game).

-Artist: Winterwind-NS
-Source: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/139139