(shouting)

Distorted Travesty 2 - I'd say Boogaloo but it's overused

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thenightsshadow

Re: Distorted Travesty 2 - I'd say Boogaloo but it's overused

Post by thenightsshadow »

Speaking of which, Zephyr, when I try to play along with raocow, my game doesn't save. Any idea why?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Rameau's Nephew wrote:One really must admire raocow's dogged determination to prove, in the face of all evidence seemingly attesting to the contrary, that fire is in reality the top secret ideal method for dealing with red Paratroopas.
I'm sure one of those fireballs will eventually do max damage rather than no damage.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Actually, red paratroopas are extremely vulnerable to fire. So vulnerable, in fact, that the damage overflows and goes back to zero again.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Man, that world really tripped me up the first time I played this game. And it used to be World 2. The elevator area in particular saw many a restart. As World 3 though it seems about right.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

thenightsshadow wrote:Speaking of which, Zephyr, when I try to play along with raocow, my game doesn't save. Any idea why?
None at all. If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, you may need to do some admin stuff thingies. The game reads and writes to an ini file in its root folder. You could also try moving the game's folder into your 'Program Files' directory.

Holy man, I need to quit looking at a computer screen for awhile. I've been playing way too much Borderlands 2.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

As you saw in challenge 3, getting your mobility skills mixed up can mess things up.

Tip: if you use Blast Off and dash away immediately, you're wasting the Blast Off. Even now I have trouble with keeping the two distinct so that doesn't happen. Practice these and also wall mechanics. You will need to get used to using a wall indefinitely.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

If you ever feel like doing the jump trial in the future, I recommend dashing into the walls to set yourself easily for the wall jump - though this gets less useful as the blocks go faster...
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Figuring out what was 'fair' for the goal times on challenges was interesting. Once the challenge itself and how it progressed was all set up, I would play it a few times. Then write down my score and what my current energy was at, then figure in how much trouble I had to actually reach that time, which is a very subjective way of doing it for that bit.

Usually the silver time was a few seconds lower than my average time. The gold times were decided on before I had been able to reach them. Of course then I realized I actually had to do it myself. D: Getting the gold time is hard for me too, I'm a very clumsy gamer. The air trial is probably the hardest to do. Staying up for 36 seconds requires saving your wind energy as much as possible. The way to go about that is cycling through Wind -> Blast Off -> Air Dash. It doesn't hurt to spam out a few waters to help boost wind if it drops down a bit.

All the challenges continually get harder as you go on, which caps off a few seconds before the gold time. It's possible for all of them to go infinitely, including the air trial.
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

Haha, raocow just stand beneath the blue plant guy while waiting for his fire to recharge but actually has full water and is only a single dash away from the other plant. Way to make an simple boss overly complicated raocow x)
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

One tip on combining elements: if you use Blast Off and immediately use wind, Claire will get a huge boost in jump height.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

ZephyrBurst wrote:The air trial is probably the hardest to do.
To me it was the jump trial by far, I stayed in front of my PC for a whole hour trying XD
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

thenightsshadow wrote:Speaking of which, Zephyr, when I try to play along with raocow, my game doesn't save. Any idea why?
If a game isn't saving, it might not have permission to write in the folder it prefers having its save files in. Some games make their own folders for save files, but Distorted Travesty doesn't. Running it as an administrator by default should allow it to save.

Speaking of weird bugs, Zephyr, if I put any of your games in program files on this machine, I get a crash error after skipping the intro sequence. This doesn't happen if I run it in compatibility mode for XP or just run the game somewhere other than program files. Do you still want a copy of that error report?

Eagerly awaiting raocow's initial reaction to
4-2, the return of color wheels. Am I a horrible person?
thenightsshadow

Post by thenightsshadow »

It's funny since I have no problem saving on Distorted Travesty 3's demo, and I assume the systems are the same.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I'm surprise the glitched blue plant wasn't enough to let raocow find a cheap victory.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Nah, don't bother sending that error report. It's an uninitialized variable or resource. That's out of my hands for the most part. One good thing is I might be building a computer this coming March which will have Windows 7. Being able to troubleshoot a few problems on my end will be nice.

That plant freezing up is a bug that's been in since day 1. I've not been able to figure it out, other than that boss has horrid code. I tried using a new way to organize the behaviors, but lots of problems came out of it. Maybe one day I'll recode them...

The saving system between DT2 and DT3 are the same, so that's kinda weird. The only thing different is when and how it's accessed.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I originally was going to stop at silver, but I decided to give it a try after reading the thread.

Getting gold in all of them is nuts. My experience of completing them:

Air Trial:

Zephyr's method was very helpful. Basically I held Up the entire time and cycled between wind, fire, and jump, while using water when necessary.

Chase Trial:

I realized that the ghost mace curves in a circular motion, either clockwise or counterclockwise. It took a lot of practice to somewhat get the hang of its movement, by heuristics. I try to keep things consistent early on, but later it often ends up random frantic dashing/dodging. ;)

It's useful to eventually capture the ghost mace in a loop, like this:
Jump Trial:

This one's very fun and I haven't found it too hard, because it's all platforming and no enemies. As RobinLSL said, the air dash assists your timing in catching a wall. The more walls you touch, the less Wind Burst needed in emergency.
Perfect Trial:

This one felt horrible because even when I knew exactly what to do, I couldn't do it for the longest time.

Most of the enemies were fine. It helped a lot to immediately get up to a corner and take out one of the fliers when a pair of those appeared.

What actually gave me the trouble was the monkeys. I counted on the monkeys to fall from the top so I can dispatch them quickly, but they don't always drop down when I wanted, which messes you up because there's a risk of them falling on you later and getting in the way. They also distract you from other enemies if you don't finish them.
I'm glad these aren't required for 100%.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Yeah, the Chase trial was hilariously easy if you exploit the fact that:
the homing mace can't make sharp turns. It's kind of easy to get it stuck in an orbit where it can never actually hit you. Then all you have to do is short hops to dodge the fixed maces.
Now the other trials... like raocow, I've gotten Bronze in all of them. But I've only gotten Silver and Gold in the Chase trial.
cousinoer5

Post by cousinoer5 »

thenightsshadow wrote:It's funny since I have no problem saving on Distorted Travesty 3's demo, and I assume the systems are the same.
Have you turned on auto save? It is disabled by default oddly enough, and I know that cost me some progress when I played until I realized this. Hopefully this helps.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I don't think raocow realized what "Spinning Wheels" refers to just yet...
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

ZephyrBurst wrote:It's an uninitialized variable or resource.
Guess we'll never know, because I tried replicating the error and it's fixed itself for no reason. Yay technology.
cousinoer5 wrote:Have you turned on auto save? It is disabled by default oddly enough, and I know that cost me some progress when I played until I realized this. Hopefully this helps.
I was going to suggest this next.
Dark Hunter wrote:I don't think raocow realized what "Spinning Wheels" refers to just yet...
I hope he doesn't realize what it means until he actually sees it.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Nah, don't bother sending that error report. It's an uninitialized variable or resource.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

It's interesting how “Tetrious” felt just like a Distortion without being declared as anything like that…
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

...and raocow continues to try to burn Red Paratroopas
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:
Dark Hunter wrote:I don't think raocow realized what "Spinning Wheels" refers to just yet...
I hope he doesn't realize what it means until he actually sees it.
Look at what you did.

I think the problem, raocow, is that you're treating each retry as a blind run, and playing only on instinct. Take things one step at a time and try to learn the specific steps in the level.

For instance, for the water bomb turret (weak to wind, not fire) in 1:30, try using each element to see what the weakness is and scan the enemy if you need to. Don't keep playing the level when something you didn't figure out gets in the way.

Once you keep this in mind, I'm sure the second time it will go better.
moogy

Post by moogy »

This level combines the constant struggle against DT's physics/controls with memorization AND luck-based design! It's probably the worst part of the entire series so don't feel too bad about having a hard time here. The next boss is kind of bullshit too but if you get past here I guess you can beat anything in the series. DT3 is a lot easier so far anyway.

I don't really have any constructive comments to make, but I would like to express my rage for this level. Took me so long to beat, easily an hour or two combined for what is essentially two "rooms," and that's just terrible.