(shouting)

Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Re: Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

Post by Plutia »

the lp is still quite a ways off but I have some treats for people who are interested in seeing how far the game's come

namely no-damage runs of every level with both characters

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Nuu41bAhsO Boki
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nDTrxiDosu Savant
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

the return
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

we're just reusing this thread? got it!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Azure Lazuline
Pronouns: choose randomly

Post by Azure Lazuline »

Thank you SO MUCH for this! You have no idea how much this means to us! :catplanet:
(You should go back and do the tutorial/intro though because otherwise some stuff doesn't make much sense for new people!)
Me and Raibys made Copy Kitty! Now we're working on another game, about fruit and hugs.
http://entanma.com
https://www.patreon.com/NuclearStrawberry
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Azure Lazuline wrote: 5 years ago (You should go back and do the tutorial/intro though because otherwise some stuff doesn't make much sense for new people!)
{98D8FD12-10F1-437B-9B4C-4F0BBC27FBD8}.png
{98D8FD12-10F1-437B-9B4C-4F0BBC27FBD8}.png (31.15 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Now that this is brought back into the spotlight I have some personal experience with it I want to share.

I played this game in its eaaaaarly days (2012-2013) starting when raocow first got to it. I feel like I had a love-hate relationship with it: it had a lot of fun and interesting things but it was incredibly frustrating at times, mostly in hard mode during certain boss fights. But I stopped keeping up with this game because it just changed too much since. I beat all the levels, twice (two different versions of the game), and as it kept changing I wasn't ready to go through that again. I also gave up making levels as I realized it was pointless.

I checked the game a few times after it was greenlit on Steam, and the significant differences make it quite unfamiliar to me now. And honestly that's a mixed feeling for me, both good and bad. I'm not just talking about some custom levels I played or made with old versions that don't necessarily work anymore. How items and enemies work, and the playing tactics derived from those, and minor stuff like music, many of the nostalgic things aren't there anymore.

I personally feel that, somehow, the game was presented in sort of a misleading way when raocow first played it back in 2012. Even though it was supposed to be work in progress, the way people were hyping up the game, it gave the impression that it was already worthy of being a game on its own. (It even had robust features like replays and level editor even though they had some bugs.) It's important to note that raocow normally doesn't LP a game until it was finished. And the LP and all the talk around it made it feel like it was finished enough of a game, even though it wasn't actually done. Because of that hype and presentation, a lot of us liked and had interest in the game back then. And now I feel somewhat disappointed that the game I liked, note the 'D', isn't quite there anymore.

I always felt that each major update to Copy Kitty was such an advancement that it felt more like an expansion set than a simple patch. But this goes even moreso for transition from the 1.x versions that I played to the Steam versions. I have felt that when a game is made to be this different, the new version should be seen as a remake and the old one intact as a project of its own. I'm sure the final release has great content and marked improvements, but the "classic" of the past has a charm of its own, and it makes me miss it as I look at comparative examples of games that got remakes, such as Eversion, Spelunky, and La-Mulana which was supposed to be next.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I kinda agree with you there. This feels like the 3rd game in a series.

But anyways, I'm impressed with the creators. Not just for the game, but actually changing raocow's playstyle of face tanking everything. I wonder how long that is going to last.

I also vote revisiting the tutorial. Who knows what else has possibly changed?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Just finished playing through World 1. Enjoying the new types of challenges so far. One change I particularly noted is the fact that you no longer need to keep switching to different weapon types to build your combo meter. That mechanic had made certain levels in earlier versions into a strategy/pathing exercise to maximize score (and to acquire medals based on score maximization). Which... while the sort of challenge I enjoy tackling in a game... never really I thought *fit* that well with Copy Kitty's DESTROY THE WORLDness. So probably for the best to see it go.

I particularly look forward to raocow's battle with the World 1 boss.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Among other things, the tutorial will remind you how to kick, which is very useful. Especially if you're going for stars.

I look forward to raocow getting a "Close enough!" rating.

Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I've been super looking forward to this! I love this game so much. I kinda want to do another playthrough now.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I see Christmas came an entire 10 months early this year.

Also, on top of normal and hard playthroughs for Boki and Savant, it might be a good idea to finish at least one loop of Endless mode, as there's some exclusive content in there. And yeah, there's some noticeable differences in the tutorial segment that might be worth showing off.
Kitet
what!!
Pronouns: he/they

Post by Kitet »

yeaaaaaaahhhh copy kitty!!!! i've been following this game since raocow first played it, and i'm SO excited to see him take on the final version of the game. it's been a wild ride watching the game evolve over the years and i've been trying to share my excitement with everyone, aaaaaa!! aaaaaa!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE
Azure Lazuline

Post by Azure Lazuline »

Previous versions were never meant to be final in any way, this is what we were aiming for all along! It was marked as Early Access on Steam for like 5 years, I just wanted people to be able to play the WIP versions and give feedback.

Score/time targets were removed since they were honestly total filler before the game got long enough to have enough stuff "on its own". You already play 4 variants of each stage (Boki/Savant x Normal/Hard) through 12 worlds, so the time/score goals were redundant, plus Endless is huge now for people who still want more stuff to do. Damage goals were kept though, since it gives experienced players a thing to aim for (otherwise you can just plow through early levels with basic shooter knowledge, without needing to pay attention to the layouts or enemies).

We have a chat room for this game by the way! It's pretty chill, you can talk to me and Raibys and post cat pictures and there's rooms for Splatoon/Smash/Warframe too since we ended up with a bunch of players for those. https://discord.gg/kHdnYwD

(1000 posts!!!)
Me and Raibys made Copy Kitty! Now we're working on another game, about fruit and hugs.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Hey look i'm thread OP

I know nothing about this game
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Very much looking forward to this LP. Almost want the muffled mic to stay tbh
ImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Already on version 3. Congrats.

PS: Mario Paint
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Wish I had some kind of personal connection to this, but when raocow was playing through this years ago, I was in a *really* rough patch in my life.
I'll sit it out, wish I could post this without bumping it or really bringing much attention to it. Hope the rest of you enjoy it :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 5 years agoHey look i'm thread OP

I know nothing about this game
Sounds like it's time to go 100% it if you ask me.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago Wish I had some kind of personal connection to this, but when raocow was playing through this years ago, I was in a *really* rough patch in my life.
I'll sit it out, wish I could post this without bumping it or really bringing much attention to it. Hope the rest of you enjoy it :rao:
Here, this early episode might get you into the right mood and swing of thing:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I'm glad to see this return. It's just a fun game to watch while also being a perfect fit for bringing out the most jovial in raocow. It is a little weird seeing so much change from what felt like a pretty solid game before, but the new presentation does look good, and reading that the game has reached a state the creators were aiming for all along is promising. And ultimately, once the levels start, it very much feels like the same old Copy Kitty (at least as long as our good friend Ar-mega-don is still around).

I think cutting down the full star/cookie requirements to just one criteria makes a lot of sense, especially with so many replay opportunities already baked in. Even with optional challenge content, overwhelming the player can end up discouraging them or diluting the focus of the game and drag down the overall experience. I would maybe default to using score instead of damage since you still have to plan and play carefully while also giving an incentive to learn the scoring intricacies and keep your combo meter up, or time since speed running has become such a natural extension of gaming mastery, but that's purely personal preference, so I can't fault the devs for preferring the damage goal.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Copy Kitty is one of the few indie games I've clocked over 100 hours on. It's outright one of my favourites and I'm overjoyed to see it return!

It's pretty much just the besterest.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Something to consider next video if it ends up short, but maybe check out the Database in the Extras menu.

Also, reminder for next level of the gloriousness that is

force + explode + tornado

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
princezane

Post by princezane »

I just have to say that I love this game. Not only is it amazing, but I can't think of any other game we've consistently had happy cow in virtually every video. We need a way to turn this into as long of a series as the Megas.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I am dissatisfied with only 3 levels a video. You used to do 5 in the past, for Copy Kitty.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Azure Lazuline

Post by Azure Lazuline »

I'm fine with any video length, just keep in mind there's 135 levels, so this would be 45 videos per character at 3 levels per video. I'm totally fine with that if that's the pace you want though, especially since this is the b-side anyway! (The levels do tend to get longer later, but not by a huge amount)