(shouting)

Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zpto
Totally not a robot
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

Post by Zpto »

Harvester is NOT one of the forbidden spells, the attack that you're thinking is more like a rip through reality itself :P
Also the Harvester Orzinav totally needs that "mini-cutscene" so you can see that the damage is going directly to Boki's soul :twisted:
Anyway, the weapon itslef is the most powerfull one you can get in normal circunstances (i.e. not counting the crazy weapons you can get in Pandemonium Mode and the Astral Blade) and can pretty much kill most constructs in one shot.
Harvester Orzinav.jpg
Harvester Orzinav.jpg (228.08 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
Starbound2

Post by Starbound2 »

It also recovers some health for every enemy you kill with it, which is handy.
Amosei

Post by Amosei »

Does the Harvester Orzinav itself recover health from attacking, or is it only the weapon it drops that has that effect?
Raibys
a Silly
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Raibys »

For gameplay purposes, the Orzinav doesn't get to recover HP when it uses its attack, even though Boki does. No enemy ever restores its own HP in Copy Kitty because Azure and I think that would not be a fun mechanic. (This is also true for things like the Virs claw.)
:trans_pride: :pan_pride: :sanaeko:
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The texturing on that harvester skull kind of reminds me of the halloween boss too.
Starbound2

Post by Starbound2 »

BTW, Raibys, Azure, I just wanna say it's a neat touch how you can tell when the Harvester's gonna attack by the length of the chain weight thingy dangling from it.It's the little things!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey Rao, if you never said you wouldn't be showing every death, we would have believed you if you showed winning on your 2nd try.

The power of editing! Or lack, thereof.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I remembered I had trouble getting low damage on this stage, but I didn't remember anything about how I ended up doing it. Checking my scores, I saw that I'd done it with Savant, so I messed around with him to see what I could come up with.

I think I found a fairly reliable method. Namely, kill the spinny thing that drops Wave right away. Immediately start shooting, and when the satellite trains a laser on you, do an in-place teleport. The spinny thing will be dead by the time you phase back in, leaving you with a gear wizard, an angel, and two satellites (since each satellite dies when whatever it's protecting dies). The angel can only ram you and the satellites will only attack if you shoot their linked enemies, so this means you can focus almost entirely on the gears.

Which aren't that hard to dodge with Savant! If you do an in-place teleport as soon as the gears start actually moving, they should all miss you. You can also teleport to one side, since they home in on your initial position. Or you can kick them while they're still getting into place. I went for killing the satellites next, then the angel, then finished off the wizard.

As far as weapons, I skipped Wave because I figured it was more trouble than it was worth. I was hoping to get Quick once the angel was gone, but ended up not having a good opportunity before it faded. Didn't really need it, though. By that point it was just a game of dodge-the-gears, which isn't that hard if you have nothing else to worry about. (Well, except spikes, but those aren't going to suddenly move.)
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

The Valkyrie Gehligrukai has a weaker shield than the Guardians, also their shield pulls you inward!
Valkyrie Gehligrukai.jpg
Valkyrie Gehligrukai.jpg (238.64 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Robomorons
Disciple of Kyubey

Post by Robomorons »

I like how the video ID for the latest video has the word "Pew" in it.
Stop reading this.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the problem with savant is the same as ever: it takes him FOREVER to kill anything without any powerups, compared to the like one second with the basic boki beam. Maybe if you are a maestro of teleporting savant is a better idea but I found more success in just getting rid of stuff quickly with boki.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

raocow wrote:the problem with savant is the same as ever: it takes him FOREVER to kill anything without any powerups, compared to the like one second with the basic boki beam. Maybe if you are a maestro of teleporting savant is a better idea but I found more success in just getting rid of stuff quickly with boki.
I'm no maestro of teleporting, unless by "maestro" you mean "have a vague general idea of when it's good to teleport". The main trick is teleporting without hitting any directional buttons for a longer invincibility period.

I also don't remember any times when I had trouble killing something with the Bit Beam and not with the Boki Beam, but then again when Boki was weaponless I tended to use kicks instead of shooting. Granted, that was mostly for points. Also, the Bit Beam can be rapidfired by holding down the button, as can most of Savant's attacks; it's hard for me to tell from the videos if you've been doing this, but if you haven't, well, now you know.
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

Man, I really liked this level, but like you said it's not geared for Savant in any way :lol:
Konsoob.jpg
Konsoob.jpg (209.17 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeah, this was a silly level, and I was pretty much as confused as raocow at the start. Right down to being disoriented by the letters being solid. I did eventually figure out that the arrow meant "kick from here". Also, I managed to skip the Konsoob on the left side, I think I kicked and then double-jumped?

Never tried Power Kicking the non-invincible Konsoobs, that's a neat trick!

Next level's one of the hardest for score, in my opinion. You pretty much can't afford to break your combo ever and you want to get that weapon multiplier up fast. It's tricky to plan your route, too. I guess we'll see how it goes next video!

(I'm guessing "not very well".)
Amosei

Post by Amosei »

That was a super neat level. Not sure how you could tailor it to Savant and still keep the same sorta thing going on, though.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh, hey, this video's talking to me!

First note: If you drop a weapon to pick up another one, you have to hit the fire button to pick up the discarded weapon again. Although I think there's an option to turn that off.

Cookie advice, if you decide to come back to it. (You've definitely got the skill, it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend attempting it.) I don't remember how much trouble I had with low-damage in this stage, it was kind of overshadowed by how ridiculously tight the score was. Looking at my records, unsurprisingly I did low-damage with Savant, and I did score with Boki.

You stumbled onto the big trick, though you may not have realized exactly why: there's a target a little below the starting area that acts as a key and lets you get into the higher area.

When going for score, what you want to do is kick that first target - remember, kicking counts as a separate weapon! From there, go down a bit, collecting weapons along the way for your combo, then go for the north side. You want to get a kill with every weapon you can so that part of the multiplier goes up early; I stopped heading down after hitting the target, though, because I found I wasn't getting back up fast enough. I think I tried to end on Implosion Strike (Explode + Plasma + Split), because that just tears through stuff. I also used Supernova for the additional multiplier, and even Typhoon (though I only got it late in the stage, I wasn't going to pass up a chance for a few additional points). I didn't have a particularly consistent approach once I got through that top corridor, it was basically "shoot everything and hope I keep my combo going until I hit those last few enemies in the bottom section".

As for the no damage run, while I don't remember the specifics I'm pretty sure I just played ridiculously cautious with Savant. There aren't a lot of enemies that throw projectiles all over the place, and the few that are around tend to die fast. Pretty sure I used Giga Cannon (Plasma + Explode + Force) for most of it, because that's basically my standard fallback option with Savant; it's just a reliable and effective damage source. That said, there's enough weapon variety here that you shouldn't have much trouble finding something that works for you with either character.

The next stage should be something of a breather, there's no real hard parts to it. I doubt you'll have any major problems getting the cookie.
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

Dragon Fogel wrote: First note: If you drop a weapon to pick up another one, you have to hit the fire button to pick up the discarded weapon again. Although I think there's an option to turn that off.
That can get frustating when you're aiming at something and there's a powerup nearby, it makes you keep switching weapons. But like you said you can turn that off.

This is one of the levels that I haven't completed in Hard Mode yet :oops:
Gunner Thremnat.jpg
Gunner Thremnat.jpg (236.33 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
KirbyComment

Post by KirbyComment »

raocow not getting a cookie? Madness!

If you're having trouble with the score cookie, try to make sure that the first enemy you destroy was by using a kick, since a kick goes towards the weapon multiplier. You also need to make sure you get hit as little as possible, so keep shooting stuff until you go rainow mode. Also, the gap with the electric firebars can be easily be done by grabbing Buzzsaw Roll. The score requirement is indeed demanding, but it's defenitely possible (because I know I got 8,431)

And the next stage is a breather, because I made the requirements too lenient (I made that level).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

after trying for half an hour I never even broached the 5000 mark so that's why I was like 'yeah, no'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

awwww, our first failure :(

Since I've never played the game, I'm having a little trouble understanding why Roacow has so much trouble aiming with Savant. I will agree weapon that make the attack window move crazily is just silly.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote:awwww, our first failure :(

Since I've never played the game, I'm having a little trouble understanding why Roacow has so much trouble aiming with Savant. I will agree weapon that make the attack window move crazily is just silly.
The way his attack window moves is dependent on which weapon you're using. Split immobilizes it iirc, plasma seems to make it drift in the direction you are firing it, wave oscillates back and forth, etc.
Raibys
a Silly
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Raibys »

Plasma moves OPPOSITE to whatever direction(s) Savant is moving in - that's all. If Savant moves up, the window moves down. If Savant moves forward, the window moves backward, etc. That also means technically raocow *could* have hit that key Tasbeht behind the wall if he had just moved away from the wall while the plasma window was up.

Also, @raocow: honestly I wouldn't worry too much over not cookieing the level. (Treacherous Maze) I know it was kind of your own plan to perfect each level, but honestly not all the requirements for levels are even necessarily balanced yet (as you have seen, some of the levels have really hard goals, while others are absurdly easy to get a perfect on). It's fine to try and aim for them in your videos, but I think that if a particular level starts getting frustrating then there's not much point in forcing yourself to meet the goal. *shrug*
:trans_pride: :pan_pride: :sanaeko:
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Raibys wrote:Plasma moves OPPOSITE to whatever direction(s) Savant is moving in - that's all. If Savant moves up, the window moves down. If Savant moves forward, the window moves backward, etc.
Whoops, I thought my description seemed a little off but I couldn't figure out why, lol.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeah, when using Savant I always try to be aware of what window is active. raocow doesn't switch the active weapon, which means if it's Wave or Split he's stuck with their awkward quirks.

Bounce is probably the best window overall, due to the shield. I also find it to be one of the easier ones to get past walls and barriers.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, I wonder why he doesn't switch around his weapons. He used to do it frequently during the oringal run.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica