(shouting)

Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zpto
Totally not a robot
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Copy Kitty - Imitation is the besterest form of flattery

Post by Zpto »

Today it's a giant ant, and looks like raocow figured out quickly that it doesn't like Gertars in the slightest :lol:
Symbiotic Vaerzet.png
Symbiotic Vaerzet.png (904.88 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Horikawa Otane wrote: As someone who doesn't, I've always found Copy Kitty videos ridiculously hard to follow and thus I've never been engaged. I'm wondering if that's just because I don't know the game already though? Perhaps knowing the existing mechanics would help someone understand the action on the screen? idk
It might be a matter of perspective. I've never even touched the game, but I can still follow it relatively easily.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm curious how many people who watch this LP already play the game.

As someone who doesn't, I've always found Copy Kitty videos ridiculously hard to follow and thus I've never been engaged. I'm wondering if that's just because I don't know the game already though? Perhaps knowing the existing mechanics would help someone understand the action on the screen? idk
Older Copy Kitty videos used to give me grief (both visually noisy and hard to follow, made harder by raocow's playstyle) but these Turbo Edition ones are just great. The only real fundamentals you need to know:
  • Boki has 100 health, but cannot die unless reduced to 1 health first and then hit again
  • On each level, you must destroy enemies marked "destroy" to clear it, all others are optional.
  • Some enemies act as keys to open barriers
  • Boki's default weapons are the Boki beam (a low-power aimed projectile) and Kick (can smash 'soft' terrain types)
  • Boki copies powers in the form of pick-ups dropped by enemies, these go into the left-hand gauges and have ammo counts
  • When Boki has multiple powers, they can be fired individually by selecting them or together as a combo weapon for neon disasteriffic effects. Some are predictable, some are unusual - think Kirby Crystal Shards or Gunstar Heroes
  • Some pick-ups appear to have metal casings, these cannot be combined and must be fired separately or not at all. These are often special weapons like the whip or summoning your own robot minions.
  • Some pick-ups are augmentations (improved kick, elemental damage addition) and do not go into the gauges, but still have limited duration/charges
  • There is a combo system for rapidly moving from foe to foe while maintaining damage, destruction, and additional multipliers can be earned through "cool" (read: high variety but continuous) play
  • There is a large Egyptian-themed mecha enemy named Virs that raocow calls Ar-meggadon (pronounciation intended) which Boki is able to manually pilot after defeating, a bit like the Ride Armor from Megaman X.
I think that about sums it up, besides Savant's weird floatiness and window-based attacking system. Also raocow is trying to beat the target score, target time, no-damage and all-enemies optional objectives for each level. I haven't played Copy Kitty yet at all, but have no problem following the current Turbo LP, which is actually a pretty good starting point.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
  • Some pick-ups are augmentations (improved kick, elemental damage addition) and do not go into the gauges, but still have limited duration/charges
I'm fairly sure these ones tend to have a more elaborate symbol than standard pickups too. They tend to have a somewhat cirularish looking background line from what I've noticed.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

this video will explain it all in a more entertaining fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtwLs9 ... falFSxbQMA
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I tried the game a little bit once after watching raocow LP it for a while, but not enough to really help follow it any better than I had before. I've always just enjoyed watching the visuals and the casual destruction without worrying too much about the details.

I do think this reboot seems a bit easier to follow, though. I'm not sure if it's just because of the HD video, or how raocow is going about it one level at a time fulfilling all the goals rather than just blazing through everything, or maybe his somewhat less manic commentary than in past Copy Kitty videos.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I watch the series and like playing the game. Today I learned that the hard mode bioweapon is kinda difficult.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I also noticed Raocows reletive skill at the game has improved dramatically. Just compare this second series to his first series.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm curious how many people who watch this LP already play the game.

As someone who doesn't, I've always found Copy Kitty videos ridiculously hard to follow and thus I've never been engaged. I'm wondering if that's just because I don't know the game already though? Perhaps knowing the existing mechanics would help someone understand the action on the screen? idk
I also enjoy the videos much more now that I've gotten into playing the game. It's definitely an "easy to pick up and play, but hard to play well" type of game. Plotting out how to best tackle a level to meet the score requirements (which hinges on getting each different weapon as quickly as possible, and killing low-score enemies early so you have a higher multiplier for high-score enemies later), or how to run through it as quickly (for time) or safely (for no-damage) as possible, takes a healthy dose of strategy and planning.

Also, the game has options to disable some of the graphical effects (for a cleaner, more easily understandable playing experience) as well as customize the HUD to your liking. So if you find raocow's settings to be confusing, you can pretty easily tailor them to your own preferences.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Yeah, I think this is actually shaping up as more of a video walkthrough? Not quite intentionally, but raocow's doing one level at a time (with both characters now) and going for the full cookie, so it ends up as a bit of a guide for how to get the cookie on each level.

It's not always easy to follow what he does because sometimes score or time just happens, of course. (And some levels are just weird on the score requirement; there are levels where I get 800 points on a normal run but the requirement is 1500, and levels where the requirement is 400 and I have over 2000 points.)
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

Wait... Are the Gertars supposed to look like what my dirty mind thinks they're looking like?
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Dragon Fogel wrote:going for the full cookie, so it ends up as a bit of a guide for how to get the cookie on each level.
This actually brings up a question. I noticed when I was playing yesterday that it logs the cookie pieces for each character separately still. Do you only ever have to get all four in total between them or does getting all the pieces on both characters do anything special?
Azure Lazuline
Pronouns: choose randomly

Post by Azure Lazuline »

Alice wrote:I noticed when I was playing yesterday that it logs the cookie pieces for each character separately still. Do you only ever have to get all four in total between them or does getting all the pieces on both characters do anything special?
They are cumulative, you just need to get each piece on at least one difficulty with at least one character - there is no bonus for getting the same part multiple times.
Bryux wrote:Wait... Are the Gertars supposed to look like what my dirty mind thinks they're looking like?
it is a seedling, very dirt-y indeed
Dragon Fogel wrote:(And some levels are just weird on the score requirement; there are levels where I get 800 points on a normal run but the requirement is 1500, and levels where the requirement is 400 and I have over 2000 points.)
that will be fixed once perfecting levels actually does something important/cool - until then, I just made sure all of the score goals are gettable, and haven't really focused on balancing them yet.
Me and Raibys made Copy Kitty! Now we're working on another game, about fruit and hugs.
http://entanma.com
https://www.patreon.com/NuclearStrawberry
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Whee, got full cookies and all non-boss Hard Mode stages done up through World 3. Also cleared the first Extra Mode stage but I probably won't touch those again for a while.

I feel like I should attempt to actually progress at some point, but apparently I'm going for filling out circles first even though I'm pretty sure I'm not good enough to get them all for every single level.
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

Sometimes I just like to see raocow happy, and nothing makes him happier than destroying the world.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Eathanu wrote:

Sometimes I just like to see raocow happy, and nothing makes him happier than destroying the world.
It's probably /the/ reason why I enjoy watching this Let's Play of raocow's.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
TaiyoPrower

Post by TaiyoPrower »

So Savant told me that I caused 531 explosions in my very first play session. ^^

Yep, I buckled. I could not resist the call of Copy Kitty! I must say, playing it is a completely different experience than watching it. Then again, that could be said for virtually any action-based game. >.>

So far, I've played through up to Really Big Robots. I'm not yet going for full "cookies", though, but I will once I feel I'm ready to do so.

But, yeah! Great game, Azure! I need lots and lots of practice, though - I'm not yet used to these kinds of games... ^^;

BTW - I found the description for the music volume setting to be absolutely hilarious! "Higher numbers annoy your neighbors more!" XD
And so it was that words entered the realm of man. For what purpose, none today know. Their intended use forgotten, people on the internet (and other places besides) began using words as a means of communication. The words, disappointed as they were by the loss of their true purpose, nevertheless embraced their new identity wholly, and without regret. Over time, the words became an indelible facet of human culture.
As a great man once said:

"It's pretty great!"
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

Those Nabbels can be dangerous if you split them and leave them like that.
Nabbel.png
Nabbel.png (886.98 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

One of the recent updates (either 1.6 or 1.7) specifically aimed to clean up the visuals and make things less confusing to follow. Going back to raocow's old series, it's definitely much harder to see what's going on, so good job there!
Eathanu

Post by Eathanu »

Cirno wrote:One of the recent updates (either 1.6 or 1.7) specifically aimed to clean up the visuals and make things less confusing to follow. Going back to raocow's old series, it's definitely much harder to see what's going on, so good job there!
I think the 1080p video resolution in the new series also does a lot to make the game more watchable.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Whee, got the cookie on every level up through World 4 and cleared Hard Mode on every non-boss level, as well as the first boss. (He's the only one I can access so far, not counting the glitch for Savant.)

As a sidenote, I was looking around on the modifier screen (I worked out exactly what to do for Master of Video Games, that one's fun to mess with and I plan to run through Marathon Mode with it on after I actually finish the game) and I somehow got access to two modifiers I hadn't unlocked yet. They disappeared when I closed the game, though. Are there cheat codes for all the modifiers or something?
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

There are cheat codes for a whole lot of them, but I'd be surprised if you were able to enable any of them accidentally.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, raocow, you were SO close to getting hit by that last energy ball on your winning run. Today, hitboxes gave you a break.

I thought you could safely kick out spikes to destroy them?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Nope

If they're attached to land you can dig then you can take out their roots by digging but the ones attached to solid metal bite you
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

Desoucks can be pretty tricky with the electro-ball spam, especially in a level like this where you don't have much room to dodge. Also the hardest version doesn't attack but has a very nasty explosion when it dies
Desouck.jpg
Desouck.jpg (222.12 KiB) Viewed 4631 times