(shouting)

8 Powers - Let's Mario it up in gimmickless gimmick town

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
CM30

Re: 8 Powers-Let's Mario it up in formerly nameless gimmick town

Post by CM30 »

Another spoiler:
After Leaf and Plant, there are three more worlds. Get past it with a cheat code if necessary, because they have some of the best levels of the game. Also, if you thought flashing red palettes and graphics were annoying, wait until sky world's fortress and its 'nuclear' effect.
Yeah. Also:
raocow will have a near heart attack when he reaches the water level/porcupuffer boss, since it's kind of insane
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Not a fan of seizure-red zone.

Edit: I never knew boos had that animation!
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
BreakTargets

Post by BreakTargets »

Another spoiler, again:
Just like Yoshi-kun83 said, when you beat LEAF AND PLANT, you get death. However, the "vine top" is glitched, jumping on top of it will have the "you pressed the Yellow Switch" animation, and somehow, will finish the level. (jumping on an upside-down "vine top" will do nothing)
...no, I can't show it off because when you beat one of the "power spot" levels, you can't re-enter, even by pressing L+R together
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Stupid thumbnail, you spoiled the big plant. :(

Edit: Love the squeaky duck!
raocow on "raocow":
raocow wrote:I like it all in small letters but I have to admit it looks pretty awkward left that way at the start of a sentence.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

uh, raocow, you are going back to beat that key boss, right?
dont wanna jihad no more
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

He can't at this point without restarting the game (or manually hacking it. Isn't L&R entry disableable in LM, and thus enableable in LM?).
raocow on "raocow":
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

What's the sound effect used for the plant boss? It sounds familiar and I'm certain it's just a SMW sound effect slowed down but I'm having trouble placing which one specifically.
EagleEye wrote:He can't at this point without restarting the game (or manually hacking it. Isn't L&R entry disableable in LM, and thus enableable in LM?).
I think it's cause it was considered a switch level which are unre-enterable. (Not sure if that's an actual word... Oh well.)
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Oh, that makes sense. Do all the vine tops do that, or just that one?
raocow on "raocow":
sharkoftheday
The World Goes "Meep"
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sharkoftheday »

Did anyone else notice that the blocks, before hitting Leaf & Plant, turn into upside-down Mario heads? For example, the video at 7:17.
raocow wrote:the neon butterflies return once more from their blessed sleep;
there are no holes in the future, only death.
vgboy

Post by vgboy »

For the record, even if you do beat the plant boss, the message doesn't show, so you just drop in a pit. Yeah. So the switch glitch is the only way to get past it.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

:|
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Onyx3173 wrote:What's the sound effect used for the plant boss? It sounds familiar and I'm certain it's just a SMW sound effect slowed down but I'm having trouble placing which one specifically.
I'm not sure if it's the original source of the sound, but I know it's used as the sound Birdo makes when it spits eggs in SMB2 (at least in the All-Stars version)

Also yeah, this hack definitely has some problems so far. I can understand it's not finished, but if there was that big of a problem (Leaf and Plant being impossible to beat unless you glitch with the vines), it would've been better to block access to that level completely if you wanted to release a demo of what you had so far, I'd think.
Also, even for early-game, it seems kind of... bland. OVER DURN and Demon Forest are the only things I've found memorable so far. And Mole Cave looked nice, at least. The rest seem to all kind of mesh together into one big blur of... forest.

It's enjoyable to watch, though, as usual. The bosses seem well done, although I don't know enough about SMW hacks to know if they're original or if the author just got them from somewhere. I'm just hoping things pick up a bit once we get out of this seemingly endless expanse of forest.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The "pow" noise is Yoshi spitting something out, isn't it?
dont wanna jihad no more
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Oh yeah, there's that as well. I guess it's just the sound spitting makes in the Marioverse.

Actually that's probably where it originated, since I assume the NES version of SMB2 wouldn't have the same sound due to technical limitations or something.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

That sounds about right.

Edit: Ninja'd, but the new post makes even more sense.
raocow on "raocow":
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

It's kind of sad that the few "gimmicks" that we've seen so far have been completely underutilised. Like, that Hyper Koopas level could've created pretty interesting situations but the author literally did nothing with them.

The bosses are also pretty bland, and even though I admit it probably requires a lot of efforts/coding to create a boss that isn't "dodge attack then throw some random thing the boss is giving to you back at his face", the fact that you can completely ignore the boss' attack by sitting in a corner and wait is baffling. It could've been easily fixed without even touching the code by adding a column of blocks at the left of the room or moving the boss by one tile left. And I'm not even talking about the game-breaking glitch vgboy mentioned, it's like the guy didn't even test his game once.

vgboy

Post by vgboy »

Yeah, now might be a good time to say that (having played through all of it) I wasn't really impressed with this hack at all, and I doubt it'd be too much better once finished.

But comparisons to YEAHHHH and such are just asking to be let down in pretty much any event.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

I'm starting to think whatever normal hack raocow would have chosen would have been more gimmicky than this gimmick hack.

Also, is anyone else somewhat-annoyed that the author just upscaled the piranha plant sprite instead of drawing a better-looking one (the way Nintendo did for Giant Land in SMB3)? It makes it look more like it's from a I Wanna Be the Guy (fan)game rather than a Super Mario World hack.
raocow on "raocow":
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

morsel/morceau wrote:The "pow" noise is Yoshi spitting something out, isn't it?
Ah, that's why it sounded so familiar. If you spit out a key with Yoshi after touching the lock, the sound gets slowed down to just about the same speed as hitting this boss does. Thanks for letting me know which it was.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

alex2 wrote:
Kerkec wrote:(Leaf and Plant being impossible to beat unless you glitch with the vines)
It isn't a glitch at all. Every single upward-facing vine-top in the level is actually a switch block.
Well, you know what I meant. I really don't think that was intended.
Maybe I should call it a mistake rather than a glitch, then.
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

Just wondering, is this hack by the same people who made that hack with the DKC wasps? Looking through the levels in Lunar Magic, I saw those.
raocow on "raocow":
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

alex2 wrote:You act like those don't exist in every Japanese hack ever.
Hey, those weren't in.

So, does this hack get higher quality in world 3?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
EagleEye

Post by EagleEye »

I was just wondering if that was a thing they made or if it was like the addmusic tracks and bundled with something.
alex2 wrote:Nope!

Nice zinger.
raocow on "raocow":
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Every level has the coin scattering in a way that it would be fitting for a get no coin level. I wish that all the levels were like Revenge of the Coins.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Granted
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw