(shouting)

A2XT2 - M̴P̵3̶ ̷B̷e̵y̵o̸n̸d̵ ̵t̴h̸e̵ ̶D̶i̶m̷e̸n̶s̸i̶o̷n̷

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: A2XT2 - Dark Woods Circus

Post by Rixithechao »

crossposting a kood explanation from the spotzone:
I got asked about kood in dm, so the gist of it is that
  • in episode 1 he was simultaneously the punching bag of the krew and the vehicle for the needless complexity the old story team wanted to set up for the remaining episodes ([screencaps of this scene] leave out the “oh you have an amnesia subplot? that’s terrible, everyone hates those” and feed teleporting in to explain it away as actually just a consequence of the universe loop)
  • they wanted ep 2 kood to be an amoral jerk trying to get revenge on luigi, with an eventual kood death scene immediately followed by a jab at

cait sith

in ff7
  • we just discarded all of that bullet point in favor of keeping a yamcha-vegeta dynamic between him and iris, and it gradually flanderized over the course of the game’s development as we came up with new jokes at kood’s expense

(the universe loop being that episodes 2 and 3 would start and end similarly to ep 1, with different members of the krew carrying over into the next and then kood back into episode 1)
Also if the episode 1 intro scene is anything to go by he came across as a bit of a creep to Demo and Iris during the Castle of No Significance.

and a metric ton of commentary on the town from the youtube comments (which I'll just go ahead and spoilertag for length)
Hoo boy, here we are! And there's a LOT to talk about, but since we have more town time coming I can save some stuff for tomorrow.

First, the minigame music! That is indeed my attempt at arranging O Canada like American Patrol (or at least a version of it, the jazz cover seems to pop up more in the search results nowadays.) I will not apologize for the concept but I am sorry for the execution -- it's one of the older tracks we produced for the game and one I was hoping to update before release because I can imagine it getting grating for players who end up struggling with sportsball, but I ended up giving up on that due to needing the time to finish higher-priority music. Thankfully I don't think it ended up getting used much in the game? EDIT: Also whoops I got the original composer of O Canada wrong!!! Fixing now so it'll be in the next patch!

In terms of other music, all of the shop themes are arrangements of Demo Dance with some of them mixing in the Lullaby as well. Off the top of my head I think there's like, seven different ones in total, including Steve's theme. And SAJewers suggested the music for the elevator scene; I forget the exact details but I think it was intended for the start of the level after the town and didn't get used there? So I ended up adding it to the elevator scene in the town, but the scene was basically over before the music could really pick up, so I eventually added the disco sequence.

The cards are another area of the game that underwent absurd scope creep -- the original plans for them were to use sprites, but Hoeloe thought they'd be more impactful as collectibles if they had bespoke art and we realized it'd be another way for the community to contribute to the game. So we put out a big call for art contributions like two or three years ago, and it took a while to get them all covered; Hoeloe and I ended up having to do a few ourselves, and other peeps did multiple cards as well. But we're really happy with the results and hope you enjoy seeing everyone's interpretations of all the characters!

The in-game cheevo list was very deliberately designed to just show the achievements you've obtained, both as an anti-Fill The Hole measure (though Betterified 6 ended up demonstrating that wouldn't be an issue after all) and to make it clearer that we don't consider the cheevos as part of completion. For players who want to go for all of them, there's the list you can get via the launcher.

If you talk to the suspicious shop owner first he tries to sell you a delicious FURBATAIL for 9,999,999,999,992 raocoins and tells you not to go snooping around the completely normal bookshelf. The whole thing is a reference to Team Rocket's schemes and hideouts in Pokemon gens 1 and 2.

The explanation for the catllama stable is just an elaborate way of framing it; put simply, if you're not riding a catllama, you can buy one. If you are, you can sell it to the owner. You get the same amount of raocoins from bringing in one you got from a level as you would from returning one you rented.

The clowns are all in this town, and likewise the berries all grow in that one section. I did have the idea early on to include sidequests that involved revisiting levels with added elements and challenges, and MonkeyShrapnel even offered to let me use Muffin Bluff for one! So I made a system to non-intrusively run extra lua in select levels and implemented the berry challenge in that level, but that version of the quest got scrapped because the rest of the team didn't find it very fun. More broadly speaking, they also didn't like the prospect of making the player potentially play through levels twice (in retrospect, yeah, not one of my better ideas), and even though we could implement these sidequests without actually altering levels or their code there were still the matters of 1) getting consent for each level we'd attach a quest to, and 2) whether added challenges on top of them still went against authorial intent. We did consider doing cross-town sidequests instead, but that ended up being one of the few things that was cut for scope relatively early into development. There was almost an exception, but we won't get to that until much later in the LP.

Last but not least (for today): this is the only town with more than one sidequest. We wanted to do more, but in the end we had to stretch the amount of available unique rewards pretty thin across all distribution options (sidequests, chests, minigames and shops). And, well... designing, writing, implementing and bugtesting even a single sidequest is a ton of work! Not great to set that expectation with the first town, but the berry quest came first and the clown quest was needed for something else we'll likely see tomorrow.
EDIT: DAGNABBIT I FORGOT, THERE IS ANOTHER TOWN WITH TWO OF THEM!
Last edited by Rixithechao 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 months ago a2xt2 is an rpg (there are minigames and towns)

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected social media account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
"illusion of gaia is earthbound. yakuza is earthbound" the people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: A2XT2 - Dark Woods Circus

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 5 months ago they wanted ep 2 kood to be an amoral jerk trying to get revenge on luigi, with an eventual kood death scene immediately followed by a jab at

cait sith

in ff7
Image All nations are on a single continent shaped like Australia. Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
backloggery
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao

Re: A2XT2 - Clockwork Pierrot

Post by Rixithechao »

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected social media account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

no new levels, so no new facts for now

and rao, do not worry about the R counter in the sanctuaries, that's simply to tell you that said level contains raocoins
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
KobaBeach
"illusion of gaia is earthbound. yakuza is earthbound" the people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine

Post by KobaBeach »

backloggery
helucard

Post by helucard »

That dragon coin marker is incredibly subtle. And I dont even know if it's a "you got them all" or "they exist here". Hmm.
The Flow of Karma wrote:This creates an irrepairable imbalance. There will be no forgiveness. Only eternal and immeasurable misfortune. Your throne of misery shall refuse to let you stand. Cookies will arrive every six hours in ten identical closed baskets. Nine will carry freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. One will hold stale oatmeal cookies. You must choose one basket and eat its contents. Your fate is sealed.
---
Oddwrath wrote: 5 months ago no new levels, so no new facts for now

and rao, do not worry about the R counter in the sanctuaries, that's simply to tell you that said level contains raocoins
My bad.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

The Flow of Karma wrote:This creates an irrepairable imbalance. There will be no forgiveness. Only eternal and immeasurable misfortune. Your throne of misery shall refuse to let you stand. Cookies will arrive every six hours in ten identical closed baskets. Nine will carry freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. One will hold stale oatmeal cookies. You must choose one basket and eat its contents. Your fate is sealed.
wait you got stale oatmeal cookies? I only got rocks that were painted brown.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

you legit could not spare me some freshly baked oatmeal cookies to go with the choco chip ones? Go Actually Fuck Yourself flow of karma
backloggery
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

HELLO I AM A PENG!
*vanishes*
███╗░░██╗░█████╗░░█████╗░████████╗  ███╗░░██╗░█████╗░░█████╗░████████╗
████╗░██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝  ████╗░██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝
██╔██╗██║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░  ██╔██╗██║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░
██║╚████║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░  ██║╚████║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░
██║░╚███║╚█████╔╝╚█████╔╝░░░██║░░░  ██║░╚███║╚█████╔╝╚█████╔╝░░░██║░░░
╚═╝░░╚══╝░╚════╝░░╚════╝░░░░╚═╝░░░  ╚═╝░░╚══╝░╚════╝░░╚════╝░░░░╚═╝░░░
███╗░░██╗░█████╗░░█████╗░████████╗  ███╗░░██╗░█████╗░░█████╗░████████╗
████╗░██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝  ████╗░██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝
██╔██╗██║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░  ██╔██╗██║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░
██║╚████║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░  ██║╚████║██║░░██║██║░░██║░░░██║░░░
██║░╚███║╚█████╔╝╚█████╔╝░░░██║░░░  ██║░╚███║╚█████╔╝╚█████╔╝░░░██║░░░
╚═╝░░╚══╝░╚════╝░░╚════╝░░░░╚═╝░░░  ╚═╝░░╚══╝░╚════╝░░╚════╝░░░░╚═╝░░░
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I just noticed the conveyor belt in Totally Trollied's secret room is broken. cos it stops when you hit the switch but its stopped state is still using the old graphic
Rixithechao

Re: A2XT2 - We Are NOT Suspicious Dealers

Post by Rixithechao »

Re: today's description:

Every time the game switches straight from one level to another (marked by seeing a loadscreen instead of going to the map), it saves. In the prologue, it restarts you at the latest level you reached. For castle levels going straight to bosses, finishing the castle unlocks the path to the boss on the map.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i just realized the thread title is

vocaloid songs, i should have realized from karakuri pierrot that's legit one of my faves

backloggery
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I just noticed that :garish: is the only abcd from the initial group that has a visible mouth
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Rixithechao wrote: 5 months ago Re: today's description:

Every time the game switches straight from one level to another (marked by seeing a loadscreen instead of going to the map), it saves. In the prologue, it restarts you at the latest level you reached. For castle levels going straight to bosses, finishing the castle unlocks the path to the boss on the map.

so like, let's say I had stopped at the very start of the snow level today, when I loaded the game back up would I start inside that level, or would that reveal the map on next load ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

it would have directly put you into snow level

rest assured im pretty sure this is the last time worlds "bleed into each other" like this, so
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Holy

Post by Holy »

what a cute first world

also, i like how the raocoins are handled (as far as i understand), because it creates an incentive to get them but also it doesn't force you to be a "completionist" about it. that's cool
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

don't have a lot of level fun facts, aside from a small tip to everyone fighting noctel: playing aggressively pays off aside from when he tosses his shuriken. also I like yellow demo's ice palette. very lavender

also in regards to autosaves, as hoeloe said, it only happens when the game force loads you into a level and this shouldn't come up that much from this point on. though also, if you wanna separate a level and its boss into two separate videos, it is perfectly fine to quit to world map and save your game from that boss space
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

That was such a cool boss, I'm really liking the cutscenes balancing the seriousness and silliness too. This ice world and powerup just reminded that Demo was supposed to be a snow demon at some point (I assume that idea got scrapped for gameplay reasons?).

Also, I love Sheath, she's a treasure. :sheath:
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i think it's more, you can't really portray the yuki-onna aspect of a character in a smw context unless you go ham into snow based nonsense and generic archetype stuff

but yeah i love ice worlds in general bc im a complete moron fuckhead and also there's no snow in the part of portugal i live in. looking forward to this world even though i was honestly a bit weirded out by the realistic blizzard in 2-1, oddwrath has told me it plays better than it seems.
backloggery
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Lavender P2 Demo is such a pretty colour scheme
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

noctel more like cock tel #ReleaseTheSnyderCut
backloggery
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"bad name" says grown-ass woman going around with a name that's code for mistake :demo:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

backloggery
Rixithechao

Re: A2XT2 - The World Hasn’t Even Started Yet

Post by Rixithechao »

EllenHouraisan
In the path of isolation
First name: Weiss

Re: A2XT2 - The World Hasn’t Even Started Yet

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Crazy to imagine a world where Demo isn't called Demo.

When are we getting Demo's long lost sister Susan.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride: