(shouting)

Yep. (NP: Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man X4)

Post by Bean »

(4) Slash Beast [X] / (4B) Slash Beast [Zero]

It's tough to mess up a train level in video games as long as your game's fun. This game is fun, so both the audience and I figured we'd do this one next for both characters. Didn't really plan that one out, did we, me? The only time the vote and my pick cross is right here on this train ride from you know where. Lots of cannons, grenades, and guns on the way to take down the mane man, but at least we get a sweet mech for the busier second half of the stage.

Slash Beast is a pretty fun fight when he doesn't lock himself into doing just one move for the majority of it. For X, he played too nice. For Zero, that's the kind of fight I like to see. Overall, a stage that no one should rail on since it has a nice mix of run-and-gun and platforming, even if the platforming here is used to dodge enemy fire more than the usual stuff Mega Man games throw at us. I'll take it. Twice, even!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Storm Owl [X] / (5B) Web Spider [Zero]

X gets to take on the friendliest unfriendly skies for his halfway mark. This level can honestly be made trivial if you choose to use the ride armor that's provided to you right near the beginning as it will easily carry you on through to one of the game's shortest part twos out there. We chose to ditch the mech and play it straight, and it still proved to be kind of a breeze. Owl's definitely the most annoying thing about this one, especially when the wind spheres come into play. Good thing he chose not to use a couple of those attacks in our main run. Okay then!

Zero meanwhile gets to have a much more expedited trek through the jungle. That's all because people voted us to get the flame weapon early on, and that burns right through a couple of tree trunks to both give us a heart X will have to go back for and a pretty decent shortcut at the very end of the level. As for Web Spider, he's even easier for Zero when equipped with that double jump and spinning slash, another reason to be happy with our stage order.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Memorial Hall - Colonel [X] / (6B) Colonel Cutscene & The Quickest Backtrack... In History! [Zero]

Time for the mid-game break battle. X actually has to duel Colonel while Zero gets an award-winning cutscene. Good thing peeps didn't flip the order of the first two bots chosen for Mr. Red, or that second vid would've had zero gameplay instead of a little Zero gameplay. Got to get that Heart Tank, after all!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Split Mushroom [X] / (7B) Storm Owl [Zero]

X gets his turn to take on the staircases of something here. Yeah, it's definitely not my favorite level in the game. In fact, it's my least favorite since you're holding right and blasting everything to win for about a third of the way. The elevator to the top to top things off isn't exactly exhilarating either. That said, the boss fight and outdoor sections are fun. Wish it was more like that than anything. Oh well!

Meanwhile, Zero gets to weather the storm in his own special way. That special way is with the Eagle ride armor that will blaze a trail right through the majority of this one. With the shortest second half in the game, and a couple skills to pay the bills, this level can really fly by if you want it to. Storm Owl himself isn't going to be as much of a problem here as he can be for X since we have a double jump. That said, what the heck was up with that phantom damage in a take I dropped? Would say you'll see what I mean, but that's a lie. No one will see it! Not you, not me, not even the game engine! Oy!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Cyber Peacock [X] / (8B) Frost Walrus [Zero]

Time to take on our final two main stages we haven't seen yet. The race is on for X in the first half of his side with one of the more fun takes that isn't Battle Network of diving into the internet to fix everything up. You don't have to go too fast here to get through these sections, but memorization and a little bit of soul will help in your quest to ace them. Meanwhile, this flamboyent feathery fiend at the end is definitely the thing that's going to ruin any attempts at a no-damage run. Those freaking missiles, man. Yeesh.

Zero gets to take his more chill approach to the Arctic where he'll locate the only stage in the game to have two music tracks dedicated to it. It's a tale of two halves that features the icy infiltration against the cool boarding fans of the 90s and a second half where everything's just cold and frozen over if you don't do something about those bitter cold creating birds. Unlike the boss that struts his stuff in X's run, this Walrus is on the other end of the difficulty scale where the hardest thing here is trying not to laugh as he slowly slides across his chamber. You tried, big guy.

Now for the same description next time since these two levels are getting done again on Thursday. Really need to plan those routes out better, huh?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Frost Walrus [X] / (9B) Cyber Peacock [Zero]

And time to do the 180 and flip our previous stages to the other hero this time. X gets to have his cooldown episode in the frozen arctic where he'll be able to blast his way through with a little look of his special weapons won to date. We'll give a longer one in a couple more episodes. In the meantime, yeah, this stage is still simple, and the biggest obstacle at the end is one of the easiest in the game. Can't complain about that. Get losty, Frosty!

In Zero's run, he gets his turn to race on the information superhighway. With the combo we won from Split Mushroom, I'd argue that big red has it easier than the Blue Bomber here... until you get to the boss. Those missiles are flying in fast and furious, and it makes things tough with Zero to get in and out in one piece. Well, so much for getting through all eight Maverick battles without a scratch. You win this round, Peacock. You win this round.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Magma Dragoon [X] / (10B) Jet Stingray [Zero]

We finish where we started with both bots today, just flip which one's taking on which. Magma Dragoon's level is all set for you to race right through it in spots, but you can cool off some of the pursuit here with Frost Tower. It's actually a pretty effective shield, all things considered. Only the one from MM7 was better at this point in the franchise. Anyway, our boss gets the fair fight that Zero didn't give him in that run. As X, we're going to be at full power minus a couple Heart Tanks going in, so that's not going to go as well for the big guy as he thinks. A fun run overall. Next time, an interlude.

On Zero's side, he gets to hop on the bike and jet through what's a pretty fast stage. We already know how to get through it without taking damage now, but we didn't back when this part of the run was recorded. I think it was one of the last gates that got us, but don't quote me on that. Do quote me on the fact that we're setting up for a showdown between a pair of old friends next time as Zero's run jumps ahead of the Blue Bomber's from here on out. Hey, peeps chose this part of the playthrough's path, not me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) The Prerequisite Pickup Episode [X] / (11B) Space Port - Colonel [Zero]

X gets to do his backtracking at long last to pick up a pair of Heart Tanks he missed out on, but I also use the time here to show off his special weapons because let's face it... Once we get the Plasma Shot right after, there's a good chance you aren't going to go back and dip into them again! We'll try to keep it honest, but no promises. That arm upgrade is absolutely the game's gamebreaker, and this one was already in our favor to this point.

That lets Zero jump ahead of the Blue Bomber which is pretty fitting since X4's plot feels like it was more made for him than X. We get to dash and slash our way through the crowded first final stage and put all of the techniques we earned to good use along the way. Even better, it's capped off with a fight against Colonel that isn't a cutscene this time. Shame for soldier boy here that he only learns the ancient art of wall jumping very late because it's a ground and pound battle here. He stays on the ground, and we go and pound that health bar of his down like it's going out of style. Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Space Port - Colonel Rematch [X] / (12B) Iris & General [Zero]

X gets his chance to take down Colonel for good now, and just like Zero, he's not going to have much of a problem in getting there or getting the job done. When you're able to go free with your weapons without any worries of losing energy unless you charge them up, why not use them? That's what we'll do here and show off something after the fight that makes both battles with Colonel even more of a joke than they really are. Poor dude. The game built you up well, but you unfortunately don't deliver on the actual fighting part in the end.

Meanwhile, Zero faces the unthinkable as Iris herself stands in his way to stopping Repliforce once and for all. It's an unfortunate end to a character that was built up somewhat well, but this is a Mega Man game. You were introduced to be defeated, and we get some 2017 Bean voice acting as a result. Would like to think I'm better now, but with how melodramatic I come off as we go along here, I'm not so sure. Ha-ha. Afterwards, we take down General who's an even bigger pushover than Colonel if you ask me. Zero has to work a little bit more for his win, but it's not over yet. Someone else is waiting next time...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13) Double & General [X] / (13B) Final Stage - Refights, Sigma, & Ending [Zero]

X gets to catch up on the plot today by finding out that Double has double crossed the good guys by being a double agent all along! And on top of that, this is only the halfway point as it's a double feature! Yeah, General's here, too. He does not fare well against those that know the ancient art of wall jumping. It's kind of funny how Repliforce's finest both had themselves a very subpar showing against our hero. Good for us. The final stage awaits!

And Zero gets to take that stage on first just like he did back when I was recording these playthroughs. You know the drill by now with the refight deal, so we'll chat about the game then get down to the business of taking Sigma down yet again. This is one of his finer showings as the battle of attrition and going through four forms can be a little daunting. You're going to need to know what to do, and with Zero, also get in close enough to do that before it's too late. It's a good thing this run was pretty solid up until the very end because that final form of Sigma. Yeesh. It's still a toughie.

Can we actually do a no-hit run on that gauntlet as X? Find out tomorrow!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(14) Final Stage - Refights, Sigma, & Ending [X]

Time to cap off the main run of this series at long last and do it in style. Yeah, the refights aren't going to be too much of an issue now that we're going to be using special weapons on the bosses this time around, but what's waiting after is the real issue here. Sigma tries to wear you down by having four forms to go through, and new players will definitely get overwhelmed at first since certain attacks require you to have an understanding of where to stand to avoid getting hit by certain attacks like the scythe in round two and the debris from the fourth and final form.

Fresh off playing the SNES trilogy 2011 me stood no chance of doing a perfect run here, but last year me when this was recorded after all the projects in between? Yeah, he's got a better chance, so let's get this fun done and take Sigma down one more time without taking a single scratch the whole way. Oh, that was a good time. Hope you enjoyed it. I know I did!
helucard

Post by helucard »

Thanque for playin :D this was fun!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Thanks. It was definitely fun playing it. Got exhausting editing the stuff by the end though, but I'm glad I got it all uploaded when I wanted. Should probably get to doing the bonus video soon since I don't see that one taking too long. Would officially cap this one off.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster)

Post by Bean »

Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster

Before doing that last X4 vid, I want to put up this one that was done between editing and uploading sessions last month. It's the best version of the original Final Fantasy I've played since it keeps the old-school magic system but also makes sure that spells and items all work the way they're intended. This was a silent run the whole way through recorded in six parts before being combined into one super-long six and a half hour feature that somehow had no game overs in it, but we sure tried near the end to get one!

If you do give this one a look, I recommend to skip a little ahead during the Provoka and Elf town stuff as I did some unnecessary grinding due to uncertainty. We would've been fine, just like this version of this game. It's fine. Just not a favorite is all.