(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

Post by raocow »

alright, I corrected that in my local version! thank you!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I noticed Splosion Man in your list and I am wondering if that is possible to play at all these days. It never left the Xbox 360 live arcade service, and I heard that emulating Xbox consoles is a bit difficult. I was interested in the game myself, but skipped to Ms. Splosion Man instead because that game is way more accessible.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

11clock wrote: 1 year ago I noticed Splosion Man in your list and I am wondering if that is possible to play at all these days. It never left the Xbox 360 live arcade service, and I heard that emulating Xbox consoles is a bit difficult. I was interested in the game myself, but skipped to Ms. Splosion Man instead because that game is way more accessible.
I guess this is as good an indication as any. We just need to see if raocow's new computer can handle the latest versions of Xenia rather than the Sonic 06 hack. It probably can tho

I try to be up on Xbox emulation due to weird JP games that wound up on em, but it's not something I keep track of 100%.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

also since raocow is playing a wii rpg next once one of the a or b sides end, im willing to go through the game alongside him and help him if he does a fucky wucky. it's on my bucket.xls anyway.

same with like the eventual chrono trigger lp and whatever other rpg he decides to play. i'll probably not watch the lps tho
just fyi

i can probably deal with anything even without fast forward, i've done a semi-all the hydlides and came out unscathed

my limit is just hoshigami on psx and ds but only because the grinding in that game is unreal and there is no real strategy besides it, maybe i'll do it with an lp to help me gauge target levels for when i feel like having a horribly unengaging time vampire. at least with dragon quest i can just guesstimate by focusing on getting enough gold to kit my party out and going off of that
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

first post updated
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hot damn, paper mario

fair warning: it starts pretty slow
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

KLONOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No mystery box this time?
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
raocow

Post by raocow »

no, and honestly they're kinda phasing out in favour of just being more public with what I'm chosing
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Hmmm...this was a tough vote(s) because honestly, the selection of games weren't all that interesting. In each, there was only one game that I could muster much enthusiasm for, and even then I'm not exactly bummed that both lost. The rest were just...eh.

(Still, I suspect we'll be in the revival period of Sonic games when we get to those two, so no biggie there)

That said...Paper Mario? Well, guess I got a game to play after I finish GTA IV :kood:
raocow wrote: 1 year ago no, and honestly they're kinda phasing out in favour of just being more public with what I'm chosing
I guess the whole thing with The Messenger soured you? :\
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ah dang Here Comes Niko? I played that a little and went "man I gotta LP this!" and it'll be a bit before I can get to it myself. It's very much a me game. :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
ah, content.

cant wait for the people bitching about klonoa's voice in maglx3 to suffer
Image Image
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

YES, I am so glad you went for Paper Mario, easily one of my top 3 games. The start is a bit slow, but I feel like it'll also bee a good time drop some commentary and give your general thoughts.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm also excited for Paper Mario. I'm in the camp that thinks TTYD is the better game but the original has an undeniable character to it that I think raocow will enjoy a lot as a man of the Marios.

Also after 15 years of "maybe I should learn more about Klonoa one of these days" it'll soon finally be time to learn more about Klonoa.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I'd just like to warn that unlike Mario & Luigi, this is a "real" RPG where you take unavoidable damage and have to either use healing items to offset it or protection/healing spells that cost MP and are accordingly limited unless you use restoration items. I recall bouncing off of it at Chapter 4 because that was about the time where my Mega Man-like "using items is for BABIES" mentality started to fall apart, even on the normal enemies.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

not gonna lie, I like how "small" the numbers in the original Paper Mario are in comparison to most RPGs (looking at you, Final Fantasy)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago not gonna lie, I like how "small" the numbers in the original Paper Mario are in comparison to most RPGs (looking at you, Final Fantasy)
play like the villgust video game adaptation on snes and you will see what bloated numbers are truly like (i think i heard it's not a good jrpg either but it is translated)
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago not gonna lie, I like how "small" the numbers in the original Paper Mario are in comparison to most RPGs (looking at you, Final Fantasy)
play like the villgust video game adaptation on snes and you will see what bloated numbers are truly like (i think i heard it's not a good jrpg either but it is translated)
funny way to spell disgaea 6
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

does disgaea count if that's entirely the punchline of the games
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

okay hold on like
TiKi wrote: 1 year ago I recall bouncing off of it at Chapter 4 because that was about the time where my Mega Man-like "using items is for BABIES" mentality started to fall apart, even on the normal enemies.
that's such a nintendo fan thing to say, coupled only with "jrpgs don't take skill because u can grind"
Scoobydoo Petunia wrote: 11 years ago I'm curious to have the talkhaus would make a RPG more skill based than number based.
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Scoobydoo Petunia wrote: 11 years ago I'm curious to have the talkhaus would make a RPG more skill based than number based.
sorry koba, quote cancelled, this is basically just mario & luigi and undertale/deltarune since they let you dodge every attack,
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago sorry koba, quote cancelled, this is basically just mario & luigi and undertale/deltarune since they let you dodge every attack,
i have no idea what you're talking about but the idea of talkhaus making a "skill based RPG" would probably result in one of those shitty ff6 hardtype hacks on romhacking dot net that no one likes
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

a short (we MEAN short, we cleared it in basically half an hour) little puzzle game sokoban thing about making two guys shake hands. could maybe be a fun little one-video thing, and like, it's 100% free
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago sorry koba, quote cancelled, this is basically just mario & luigi and undertale/deltarune since they let you dodge every attack,
i have no idea what you're talking about but the idea of talkhaus making a "skill based RPG" would probably result in one of those shitty ff6 hardtype hacks on romhacking dot net that no one likes
it's not as funny once we explain the goof we made but if you really don't get our bit here:
our joke is that mario & luigi and undertale/deltarune do very explicitly allow the player to dodge any incoming attacks (with mario & luigi, it's timed commands with the A/B (and sometimes X/Y) buttons, and in undertale/deltarune, they are very literally bullet hell-lite attack patterns that the player can, indeed, perfectly avoid. in fact we don't think those games even have attacks you can't avoid outside of like, obvious plot-related scripted encounters (this is primarily us talking about the shroobs in partners in time and the time photoshop flowey just savestates killing you multiple times at the end of their fight).

the joke being that, since you can very overtly dodge and avoid attacks in these RPG games via something that requires actual skill and prowess (be it timing/proper reaction time or just Dodging and being good at it), both of those would, technically, be RPGs with skill involved moreso than numbers. in a very literal sense of the phrase.

also calling "hard mode" RPG romhacks shitty? we'll drink to that. as someones who're fans of pvz1 and paper mario 64 we understand the struggle
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago that's such a nintendo fan thing to say, coupled only with "jrpgs don't take skill because u can grind"
MP/item/money management IS a skill, it's just one that I absolutely loathe using.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 1 year ago MP/item/money management IS a skill, it's just one that I absolutely loathe using.
is it a skill???? i just hoard everything for a rainy day until i wind up never using it
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago the joke being that, since you can very overtly dodge and avoid attacks in these RPG games via something that requires actual skill and prowess (be it timing/proper reaction time or just Dodging and being good at it), both of those would, technically, be RPGs with skill involved moreso than numbers. in a very literal sense of the phrase.
i feel like a lot of jrpg dislikers who try to give ideas on how to "improve jrpgs" are almost always comedically missing the point but i do enjoy being able to negate damage if im good enough. timed hits are fun as long as they aren't like YIIK level garbage
camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago also calling "hard mode" RPG romhacks shitty? we'll drink to that. as someones who're fans of pvz1 and paper mario 64 we understand the struggle
i find console jrpg romhacks fascinating but sadly romhacking.net has no idea what game design is like and thinks making everything take exponentially more grinding and removing every exploit makes it more fun somehow. haven't really dug into the japanese side of those yet (draque sweets, dq4^{-}, ff6 omega, the fire emblem 3-5 hacks)
Image Image
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Not going to lie, seeing Anodyne near the top in the bucket makes me go :o

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.