(shouting)

SNES Quest - The Journey of 700+ Games

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - The Journey of 700+ Games

Post by pholtos »

Hello everyone, it is I, pholtos. When I first began LPing I ended up giving myself a frankly unrealistic goal of trying to do a bunch of different SMW Romhacks. I eventually reached this point where it felt as though the quality just kept getting worse and I eventually reached a zenith of frustration and altogether ceased the playing of SMW Romhacks, and haven't looked back.

But that left me a bit of a quandary. I wanted to do something major project wise on my channel, and spent some time coming up with what I wanted to do. And through a combination of inspiration, past experiences and some other things that in a way I am using to pad this sentence, the idea of SNES Quest was born.

Through it, I would go through every single US released SNES game in the massive library that makes up the Super Nintendo. For some, it would simply be showing off the game (this is mainly a thing for sports SNES titles) and for the rest, I would take the time to do my best to get through the game. The games would be gone through in a combination release date by month (to the best of my ability to put together) and alphabetically.

That was the initial idea. Though through the first 50 completed titles (as of making this thread) my rules have slackened a bit for my own sanity and times sake. Some games really have issues when it comes to completing them, and this was during a time period where limited continues and having to restart from the beginning were common. But nowadays it's a major hurdle in the case of LPing, where in order to show off the game I would have to get insanely good at each game to be able to show the whole thing, without the use of save states.

Needless to say I eventually developed the "SHMUP" rule, after the countless shoot em ups I encountered near the beginning. A system of coming up with a rule for that game to allow the use of checkpoints to help streamline the LP process for each game. Sometimes even that can't save a game.

But regardless, I wanted to make a thread that I would over time fill with each game, a link to said game (or its playlist) and my thoughts on it. Would I recommend it? What made the game neato and what were its flaws. That sort of thing.

And to finish this off, I'll just go over some SNES background. The SNES, or Super Famicom as it was known in Japan, was released as the second generation of home consoles put out by Nintendo, as an upgrade from 8 bits to 16 bits from the original NES/Famicom. The SNES was released in late 1990 in Japan and semi-late 1991 in the US (and later on in many other countries from 1992-1994). When it originally came out in Japan, only two games came out at release, being Super Mario World and F-Zero, whereas the US had those two along with Gradius III, Pilotwings and Sim City. Thank you wikipedia for helping me with this info. :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: SNES Quest - The Journey of 700+ Games

Post by pholtos »

Last edited by pholtos 11 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Last edited by pholtos 1 year ago, edited 35 times in total.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

F-Zero (USA).png
F-Zero (USA).png (581.82 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Game #1: F-Zero
Release Date: August 1991
Genre: Racing
Recommended? Yes.

A lovely start to the SNES library, F-Zero is a very very good racing game with all the things you'd really want out of that genre. Has three different difficulty levels, each with its own set of several unique tracks, complete with some very memorable music to go along with it.

Only major problem I have is one that most racing games tended to have, being the all mighty ever present rubberband effect, where the AI will just always be right behind you to make things more exciting, but instead of exciting it just very much limits the amount of error you can make on a course.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Gradius III (USA).png
Gradius III (USA).png (619.25 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Game #2: Gradius III
Genre: Shoot Em Up
Recommended? Yes.

Like with past Gradius games, this one has the classic snowball type effect. If you keep getting stronger, you'll end up having an easier time. On the flipside, it's a shmup, with one hit deaths. At least it has a difficulty option!

This was before my implementation of the shmup rule, and a full run took me around 43 minutes. Getting far into these types of games produces a very heavy terror on the player. :P

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Pilotwings (USA).png
Pilotwings (USA).png (600.6 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Game #3: Pilotwings
Genre: Flight Simulator
Recommended? Yes.

This game felt really fun overall. With five different ways to fly and several challenges for each one, this game provides great fun and has a very nice password system if you ever need to continue later.

If there was any downsides at all, it would be how hard it is to land the plane well. The occasional helicopter mission was also extremely nerve wracking and without good planning and careful maneuvering, you're sure to fail a couple times.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

SimCity (USA).png
SimCity (USA).png (693.97 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
Game #4: SimCity
Genre: City Simulator
Recommended? Yes.

The first overly complex game for the SNES, SimCity puts you in charge of essentially everything in a generated map of your choosing. A lot of waiting is required for this one, and in a way I had to set my own goal for an end point.

Plus you can just summon disasters. Always a fun time. :3

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Super Mario World (USA).png
Super Mario World (USA).png (244.28 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Game #5: Super Mario World
Genre: Platformer
Recommended? Yes.

The last of the Starting SNES lineup. I doubt you guys have heard of this super obscure game, with its 96 exits and excellent set of powerups and huge modding scene. It's about a plumber who takes a vacation and a princess who gets taken by a turtle with a naming identity crisis. :P

The bad thing about this game is some people take their mods way too far and create overly ridiculous challenges. :P

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

so when r u finishing vip2
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago so when r u finishing vip2
Never! :D

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Drakkhen (USA).png
Drakkhen (USA).png (630.23 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
Game #6: Drakkhen
Release Date: September 1991
Genre: 3D RPG
Recommended? Yes, with Save States for Equipment... or just on PC.

We begin the new month with a rather unique individual. Drakkhen is the adventure of four dudes on their quest to stop Dragons from taking over... an island. And so they must walk across the four horizontal lands of island-ness, dealing with progressively harder dudes depending on which horizontal segment you're in... and laser eye shooting panthers. This game originally came out on the Amiga PC, and has been ported several times, and is even available on steam.

Overall a very interesting experience with the caveat of having rather sneaky important shops, the potential of needing a guide and the ease of which enemies can just outright break your equipment, thus the need of save states for specifically that. The SNES version is a tad limited in scope due to basic controller limitations, and as such is probably inferior to any PC ports out there.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Final Fight (USA).png
Final Fight (USA).png (503.37 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Game #7: Final Fight
Genre: Beat em up
Recommended? Only if you like Beat em ups, honestly.

I will be straight upfront here, I found I'm really bad at this genre, or else there's something about this genre I don't understand. Regardless final fight is very much not living up to its title, as it is in no way the final fight, but I digress. You play as either a guy with a too small white shirt or an overly muscular mayor and you beat up dudes through multiple stages. A lot of dudes. So many dudes. Dudes coming out of everything. Geez dudes calm down.

Game had the overall issue of limited continues, it did have a sneaky options menu with difficulty and life choices, which in this instance I had to turn the difficulty all the way down to as low as it could, and even then BARELY beat the final boss. Like geez man. :P
As an aside... I have no idea who the guy on the left is for the box art. I'm pretty sure the right guy is Mr. Buff Mayor, but the right? Doesn't look like the final boss... I dunno that's the Mayor's evil twin... Taggar.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Final Fight owns but it's way too hard yes. Limited continues is also ass and that is also a pain in Streets of Rage, as god tier as the first two games may be (also the JP version of the third game iirc). Not sure if you got to 2 and 3 yet but I hope you can enjoy those more. I haven't played them yet but Maki seems to rule.

For anyone who needs it, the infinite credits GG code (just found it) is EEC8-D4A1.

I wish Haggar was my boyfriend...
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

HAL_s Hole in One Golf (USA).png
HAL_s Hole in One Golf (USA).png (519.37 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Game #8: HAL's Hole in One Golf
Genre: Golf
Recommended? If you like Golf games I guess. :P

I almost considered having this be my first no recommendation, but it's not terrible or anything... it's just golf. Overhead golf. Not much more to say about this one. It's golf. You hit the ball on a really green field and you put the ball into the flaghole. Thus you score either a flying bird or a number of flying unidentified enemies. Golf everyone, it sure is what it is.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

HyperZone (USA).png
HyperZone (USA).png (603.5 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Game #9: HyperZone
Genre: Rail Shooter/Shoot Em Up
Recommended? No.

Congrats to HyperZone for getting my first No recommendation! :P
So to start off with, combine F-Zero with a Shoot Em Up. That's the basic premise of this game. You go down a track (with no turns) with boundaries that straying to and past hurt you. Meanwhile in front you're nyooming towards countless enemies that can shoot giant projectiles at you. That's essentially the game. Each stage naturally has a boss at the end of it.

But on the flipside of that... enemies. from. behind. No. Straight up no there. You have no warning or indication of their arrival and the only thing you can possibly do is memorize their locations. As you cannot move forward from what is considered the back of the screen, as you are always there, you cannot do anything to react to their presence. Couple that with the insane difficulty the game provides and this was where I started to internally come up with the shmup rule. I actually needed to setup a thing for this game in terms of using save states to even have a chance at finishing this one.

If it wasn't obvious by that last sentence, yes this has the shmup cliche of having limited lives/continues before having to restart the whole game. I understand the idea behind such a thing, but it comes across as painful to play through, especially when a game doesn't have a practice mode in any way shape or form. Though this game does come with a level select code and a 3d mode! Ooh~

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Populous (USA).png
Populous (USA).png (595.73 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Game #10: Populous
Genre: God Game/RTS
Recommended? No.

I present my first abandoned game. Populous is a mess to understand, it's a god game with way too many options condensed from the PC onto the SNES, which has limited buttons. The setting is inside a giant book, and it's chock full of a lot of scenarios, I never even made it far enough to see how many, but it was a lot. :P

Your goal is... I think to defeat the enemy? Anyways you build a settlement on a bit of land and then somehow grow that settlement and upgrade your characters, which I attempted to understand how to do based on the manual and the in game options but it was a no go. I eventually learned how to move my dudes to a location and build up the land to find the enemy but then once I did I got easily over-ran. All in all I had a confusing time and I just cannot comprehend why they would bring a game like this to a console when this is the type of game you really need keyboard and mouse to properly play.

I would consider putting this in my top 10 worst SNES games.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Super Bases Loaded (USA).png
Super Bases Loaded (USA).png (399 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Game #11: Super Bases Loaded
Genre: Baseball
Recommended? No.

Combine a baseball game with awkward angles to bat from, with what I consider unfair AI and what seems to be one outfielder that I struggled to control and you get this game. :P

That's... that's it. You can go home now nothing more to say about this game. Congrats on reaching home, have one run. :3

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

A bit late but Populous was one of the SNES games I had as a kid. We never played it very much for the reasons you explained, plus we didn't even have the manual (or it was in storage, I can't remember) so we had no chance of figuring it out either as little kids.

I remember thinking the cover art was pretty neat, at least.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Super R-Type (USA).png
Super R-Type (USA).png (465.44 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Game #12: Super R-Type
Recommended? If you like Shmups.

Shoot em ups for the SNES for the most part are... not friendly at all. They tend to all have similar issues in terms of just making you a one hit wonder, and require heavy amounts of repetition to simply make it through. I had to resort to the lowest difficulty the game had to offer to handle this one.

At the very least this game I think had infinite continues. You had a number of lives but running out simply meant your score reset to zero. So there is that. That's what saves it from a No.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

HatKid wrote: 1 year ago A bit late but Populous was one of the SNES games I had as a kid. We never played it very much for the reasons you explained, plus we didn't even have the manual (or it was in storage, I can't remember) so we had no chance of figuring it out either as little kids.

I remember thinking the cover art was pretty neat, at least.
I feel bad for anyone who ended up trying to play this as a kid, especially if they didn't have a manual. Oof.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

pholtos wrote: 1 year ago I feel bad for anyone who ended up trying to play this as a kid, especially if they didn't have a manual. Oof.
I had the game as a kid. Never really got anywhere in it... but I did manage to at least figure out how it *worked*.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Chessmaster, The (USA).png
Chessmaster, The (USA).png (227.03 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Game #13: The Chessmaster
Genre: Chess
Recommended? No.

Now you may be confused why I'm giving a no recommendation to a game that is literally just chess. Well that's cause the chessmaster has been posted on so many different consoles and on PC many times so honestly for this one I'd say just play a more up to date version... or Lichess.

One more fun fact. This franchise is owned by Ubisoft.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #14: U.N. Squadron

Post by pholtos »

U.N. Squadron (USA).png
U.N. Squadron (USA).png (496.03 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Game #14: U.N. Squadron
Recommended? No.

Take the standard shmup experience and add in excessive spam. That's basically my experience with this game. It was just.... too hard even at the simplest difficulty. Plus it's got the classic limited lives issue that all shmups seem to have. :P
Last edited by pholtos 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i think the thing with un squadron is to grind a bunch and upgrade a billion times but i actually haven't played it because non bullet hells are kind of shit except parodius because it's funny and twinbee because it's designed by sane people (and fantasy zone because rose tinted goggles)
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

SNES Quest - Game #15: Ultraman

Post by pholtos »

Ultraman (USA).png
Ultraman (USA).png (582.01 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Game #15: Ultraman
Release Date: October 1991
Genre: 2D Fighter
Recommended? No.

Whoo boy this game. Based on the Japanese TV show of the same name, you play as... Ultraman. :P
Fighting your way through boss fight after boss fight you must take out humungous creatures of varying doofyness by first weakening it to the point you use a special attack to kill it. Yeah. You need to use a special attack to kill it, which the meter for charges over time and has several options for. But if you use it all up and can't special attack to kill it? It stays alive just fine and eventually leaves this state, and you have to get it back down to that state to kill it. :P

It's a bit of a mess. And the controls are very clunky to boot.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing: