(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Re: All the S@nics - Unleashed (WiiS2) - Hungry Like the Wolf

Post by QuiEstFaba »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago oh this is fucking weird i kind of like it
Well then, if the name "Kyle Bruckmann" doesn't ring a bell, you should give him a look, if you want a modern-day version of this kind of music. I'd recommend him and anybody he's worked with.

But as far as Parker et. al's contemporaries go, check out AMM--they wrote the book on that kind of sound, and still haven't finished it to this day.
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

"Going to Missouri. All right! ...Can't wait." - Yeah, that sounds like someone that's heard of Missouri.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

The game's using the word "continent" when it should be using "tectonic plate" and i wonder if there were concerns that kids playing the game wouldn't know what a tectonic plate was.

Curse you, Chip, for making me want chocolate in the middle of the night!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Regarding missions for this version:

There's some interesting stuff in there, but it's definitely a bit of a mixed bag.
Whilst some of it is the standard 'same-level-with-a-condition' stuff we've seen for a while, there are some missions with completely original level segments buried in the list - even for day stages - and those can be quite interesting.

--

Getting the missions to unlock is extremely unclear though:
Some unlock naturally, others require specific key collectibles, and others check for an arbitrary amount of gallery collectible items. Doing all of this necessitates getting all sun/moon medals which means S Ranks in the main stages.
Whilst the mission unlock requirements are spread around, the last mission does require getting all of the gallery collectibles across the game.

And - unless I missed a menu somewhere - there's nowhere in game that tells you what specifically unlocks what.

I found out all of this last year when doing a 100% playthrough of this version of the game, and trying to piece all of this together was... an experience. Most guides out there were made for the HD version, and I soon found out when trying to follow the few guides I could find that some of the information in them was wrong too.

Ultimately I ended up making a big spreadsheet for keeping track of what I was missing, and after that the process wasn't *too* cursed, but it was still pretty time consuming.

--

Still, it was pretty interesting going through it all and seeing the quirkier more unique missions, it might be worth digging out a save at the end and giving them a look. (I might still have mine from last year hanging around if needed/desired.)

In the end, I just wish it was all better documented - perhaps it would be if Sega didn't try to forget this game (both of them) existed.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

We've already seen a template of how Missions work in this game: take a normal level, use a segment from it, stipulate a condition to win, slap a time limit on. What's fun about it is that often, they change the level segment a little so the objective can be reached even if you overshoot some of the stuff you have to collect. We've seen in the ring collection example that they added a backwards spring that sent Sonic up and on a path to the left, where a lot of leftover rings were, allowing raocow to finish just in time. This is interesting and leads to some cool design moments, and it's much more elegant than the Adventure 2 and Heroes solution of "goal ring that teleports you to the start again, respawning rings/enemies".

Funnily enough, while the HD version has something called Missions that's more like sidequests, it also features "replay the level under stipulation/time limit" - however, it's done much worse, because you have to replay the entire level, it's basically unchanged, but now you're not allowed to die at any point while trying to get a bunch of rings/kill a lot of enemies/etc.

As it's usually trivial to fulfil the requirements, it becomes an entirely uninteresting no-death run. And there's, like, three of these challenges per level, AND with three levels of difficulty each, so if you want to 100% this particular thing, you'll be replaying every single level, night and day, 9 times. Needless to say, it's not worth looking at, IMO.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Oh no... Oh nooo...
What have I done...
That pose just immediately gave me Nagito Komaeda vibes...
..... btw anyone want a template?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Oh no... Oh nooo...
What have I done...
That pose just immediately gave me Nagito Komaeda vibes...
..... btw anyone want a template?

Anyway, the conclusion to a long running gag.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Nice of the professor to invite us over for a teatime, eh, Tails?
the internet has ruined me 3.jpg
the internet has ruined me 3.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: All the S@nics - X Speed Spotter - SEASON 4 LEAKS BAYBEE (not)

Post by Ivy »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago

raocow just casually calling the twist of Chip's identity as soon as he sees him. Poggers.

I reckon the same will happen if/when Kirby's Return to Dreamland gets played lmao
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

influence.png
influence.png (22.24 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Oh no, he's been indoctrinated!

wait, we're not playing the Bioware game anymore

I wasn't aware the ZL/ZR buttons existed as early as the Wii! I never owned a classic controller back in the day (who did?), so i figured it was just like the GameCube controller with Z being next to R. The "accept" button being A instead of B has been that way since the N64, but the fact that everything between the SNES and the Wii U had non-standard button layouts obfuscates it a bit. Never really occurred to me.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Tails.png
Tails.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Sem nome.jpg
Sem nome.jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so uhhh, I don't have a talkhaus account (actually I might but I forget the password). so maybe someone else should say something there. but I was on the AtS thread doing a little catch up, and I saw that the link for the first episode of Sonic Rush Adventure (ep 911) does not go to the first video of that series. it goes here instead lol
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

fixed, but i think it may have been better with the error :P
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
helucard

Post by helucard »

Oh my gosh, I didn't expect the template to get this much use, if any :D
Okay then, that was definitely worth the effort.
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago Tails.png
:trans_pride: Ye!

Anyways, yeah, today's training montage was p good, getting medals seems generous so far. Hope that keeps up.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago hope you like the battle music

hope you really, really, REALLY like it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Today's Special.png
Today's Special.png (32.67 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
"Mr berry"? Or maybe "Ma berry", brought to you by Ma Bird?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i think it's "Mix berry" which is probably meant to be "Mixed Berry" but w/e iced cream...
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
helucard

Post by helucard »

Gosh, I love the part of Italy with buzzsaw tracks and spike plates in the middle of the road, where the alley gates are locked by switches which are able to be accessed exclusively Italy's official high stakes parkour enthusiasts.

Gosh, they really know what they're doing with their tax money.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

If anyone's still somehow not clued in, the Werehog stages comprise the vast majority of the game on both SD and HD, and it never really gets better.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
helucard

Post by helucard »

No hedgehog stages? Man, that's right, Italy has a speed limit.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
helucard

Post by helucard »

Wow, ok, know what, this was pretty stellar..... Such a shame about that 240 rings being chucked into Selawik Lake though.

That said, today I learned that any Alaskan road that "is not classified as an alley, school zone, business district, or residential area has a default maximum speed of 55 mph". I also learned that 14 year olds can get their driver's permit in alaska, and since Sonic is considered 15 in Heroes, I have to imagine he hasn't De-Aged.

So Sonic can legally drive in Alaska, and there's a pretty generous speed limit here!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

From the beginning, one of the main objectives that Producer Yoshihisa Hashimoto had in development was to come up with a myriad of ways to avoid having the game feel "on-rails" like in the past titles, but still maintaining a high degree of interactivity and a vigorous sense of speed. This intention lead to a multitude of extra actions like Quick Step, Drift, Stomping, Sonic Boost (which was actually taken from Sonic Rush), and a new type of platforming object that would change the players path depending on the players reflexes (which would evolve into the Quicktime events). The Quick Step idea in particular was drawn from the fact that while in 3D games the player uses an analogue stick to navigate, it severely compromises the player's ability to move in completely linear directions, which made the fast paced platforming they wanted for the game suffer once the environments got complex. Therefore, the team came up with the Quick Step system, allowing Sonic to easily dodge obstacles during high speed sections that could be literal miles long.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

:honk:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Today's episode, raocow made an interesting point. I'm pretty sure this game supported motion controls. I mean, you get one button for left-arm attacks, and one button for right-arm attacks during night stages. That sounds pretty much like motion controls mapped to buttons.

raocow, can I make a special request? The next time you have a Werehog level for a video, could you try to play it with Wiimote + Nun-chuck and see if you actually do wind up with "Punch-Out! Stretch Armstrong Edition"?